Twitch Plays Pokémon (TPP) is a social experiment in which commands representing buttons on an original Gamecube controller (up, down, left, right, A, B, X, Y, L, R, Z, start, control stick, and c stick) are entered into a chat on Twitch, and then translated into a game of Pokémon XD via an IRC bot. In short, hundreds of people fighting over a controller. Throughout its life, Twitch Plays Pokémon has spawned hilarious characters, memorable moments, and even a religion.
Twitch Plays Pokemon XD, the fifth and final run of "Season 2", returns the mob to the desert region of Orre five years after their previous adventure, where a brand new threat has appeared.
The run was revealed in a surprise announcement at the end of Colosseum, and began on December 12th, 2015.
Twitch Plays Pokémon XD contains examples of:
- After the End: If it's following the trend of the Colosseum run's lore, it's set after some unknown catastrophe transformed the Orre region from a grassy paradise into a barren wasteland.
- Divine Intervention: After finding out Democracy Mode (used for one input) is not enough to sneak up to Bonsly, the Streamer turned the sensitivity of the analog controller very low and back to its default position once the mission was done.
- Earth-Shattering Kaboom: At the end of the first day, the team's Baltoy learned Selfdestruct in spite of all attempts to cancel the move, then immediately used it to wipe out all Pokémon on the field and crashed the stream."Well, we broke the universe again."
- Season Finale: Given its position, it is all but confirmed to be the final run of 2015, making it the Season 2 finale by default unless it is stated otherwise.
- "Shaggy Dog" Story: The Mob spent at least six hours trying to use a Water Stone on Eevee, only to accidentally toss the stone.
- Shoo Out the Clowns: After losing to Eldes in the final leg of the game, ABBBCC finally recovers at the healing machine a few rooms earlier instead of waking up back at the Lab.
- Time Skip: Presumably this run takes place 5 years after Colosseum, as per Pokémon canon.