Twitch Plays Pokémon (TPP) is a series of social experiments in which commands representing buttons on an original Game Boy Advance (up, down, left, right, A, B, L, R, start, and select) are entered into a chat on Twitch, and then translated into a game of Pokémon via an IRC bot. In short, hundreds of people are fighting over a controller. Throughout its life, Twitch Plays Pokémon has spawned hilarious characters, memorable moments, and even a few religions.
Twitch Plays Pokémon Flora Sky is the fifth run of Season 5, and the thirty-second run overall, running from October 13th to October 29th of 2018. The game used for this run, Pokémon Flora Sky, is a well-known heavily altered hack of Pokémon Emerald, featuring Pokémon and characters up to Generation V, along with a revamped storyline and a whole new regionnote .
This run follows the adventures of "..hnv" (interpreted as either "Hannah" or "Envy"), a girl in blue clothes considered by many to be a colourblind ninja due to her tendency to change outfits and climb to unreachable places. Along the way, she encountered multiple Legendary Pokémon, faced against Team Aqua and Magma, attempted to beat the Trick House challenges countless times, and assembled a team comprised of an emperor penguin, a master of the elements, a gender-bending arsonist, an ninja master spirit, an exploding dragon, and a flaring flowerhog.
Twitch Plays Pokémon Flora Sky contains examples of:
- Epic Fail: Hannah suffered her first loss early, against the fourth Trainer in the game... which happened to be Youngster Joey.
- Gender Bender: Due to a programming oversight, using a Sun Stone on the team's female Kirlia caused it to evolve into a male Gallade.
- History Repeats:
- This run marks the fourth time the female protagonist is picked for a Hoenn run, with Artemis remaining the sole exception to date.
- The male Kirlia from Twitch Plays Pokémon Prism was expected to be evolved into a Gallade, but evolved into the female-looking Gardevoir instead. Here, the team's female Kirlia was expected to evolve into a Gardevoir, but was evolved into a male Gallade instead.
- Jack-of-All-Trades: The first host to have absolutely no shared types across her Hall of Fame team.
- Level Grinding: On Day 2, the chat spent seven and a half hours grinding Nincada in order to obtain a Shedinja. It was deposited shortly after, although it was soon recovered and made a permanent member of the team.
- Made of Explodium: Hannah's Garchomp knows the move Explosion, which the chat obviously tends to trigger very easily. Even Democracy won't stop it from exploding.
- Ninja: Hannah hiding behind walls◊, climbing to normally unreachable places◊, changing the color of her clothes (due to a palette glitch), and regularly attempting to beat the Trick House challenges led to the popular interpretation that she is a ninja. The fact that she dresses entirely in blue makes her more of a Highly Visible Ninja though.
- Non-Indicative Name: Due to the hack changing the species of some of the Pokémon Contest participants but keeping their original nicknames and movesets, one of the Contests featured a Pawniard named "Poochy"◊.
- One-Letter Name: "T" the Linoone, also known as "Mrs. T".
- Plot Armor: By the end of the run, five out of six membersDetail of the team were equipped with Mail, making them impossible to deposit or release. The sole exception was Gallade, who had temporarily left its place to a Larvesta for grinding purposes.
- Take That, Audience!: After over thirty attempts to beat the Elite 4, the song "Born to Lose" started playing on stream.