Have you ever heard of Twitch Plays Pokémon? After the success of the recently completed Twitch Plays Undertale, a Twitch user named RazorSharpFang started another Twitch Plays for EarthBound after it was voted on by the viewers.
Twitch Plays EarthBound follows a similar concept to Twitch Plays Pokémon, where a group of people fought over one SNES controller in the form of commands through the stream chat. With names such as GGLL for Ness, Pau as Paula, A as Jeff, and JA as Poo, they eventually managed to defeat the final boss within a time span of a single week.
- Aerith and Bob: Averted - just look at these names: GGLL, Pau, A, and JA.
- Crazy-Prepared: Twitch grinded for a long time just to 3-4 shot Frank in the beginning of the LP.
- Forced Meme: Thanks to numerous attempts to properly use the quick talk/check button that ended in failure, "*No problem here." became one of these with the chat.
- Pun: When the mob tried to perform the "Skip sandwich skip", Users started Pasting this into chat: "ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ﾉ ♪ It's the skip sandwich song. ♪ Sing along! ♪ ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ﾉ", a nod to AS Randomizer's "ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ﾉ Hatching eggs ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ﾉ" song.
- Running Gag: In Earthbound, your Dad would call every few hours to remind you to take a break. Combining this with the nature of a Twitch Plays, a part of which involves very rarely turning the game off? It resulted in frequent phone calls that got more and more humorous over time. He even called during the post-credits sequence!