A former member of the Yogscast
and previous CEO of the business, Mark Turpin, aka "Turps" or "Turpster" (channel here
), joined the Yogs in 2011. While initially taking more of a background role in Yogtowers, Turps has since gone on to be prominently involved in collaborations with Sips
, Lewis Brindley
and Hat Films
, alongside his own smaller Let's Play
videos and his more notable behind-the-scenes footage.
Series featuring Turps:
Turpster provides examples of:
- Absentee Actor: Despite being a series regular for Sips' Gmod series, Turps disappeared from Murder! for a short while, in part due to the birth of his daughter. He eventually returned for the video "Breast Milk".
- Affably Evil: Whenever he's the murderer or a traitor and keeps politely bantering with the others. In real life, you can drop the "evil" part.
- Alcohol-Induced Idiocy: Hat Films have told a story about Turps getting very drunk during a pub quiz at i49, in which they and Turps ended up in an overflow room since there were so many people there. After another team from the overflow room emerged victorious, Turps decided that this meant everyone in the overflow room had won and tried going up with the winning team.
- Ascended Extra: Initially a behind-the-scenes worker, albeit an important one, Turps didn't appear as often as some of the other members of the Yogs. Over time, however, he started doing more livestreams and gained a bit of an audience, eventually gaining his own channel. Then he became a recurring player on Sips' channel for Garry's Mod, and developed a substantial fanbase.
- Badass Beard: Turps has a simple, yet nice one.
- Badass Boast: "With Strippin gone, I am now officially the strongest man in Yog Towers."
- Berserk Button: Suffice it to say that his car giving out in the Heroes And Generals miniseries, plus Lewis, Simon Lane and Duncan Jones prank-calling him and pretending theirs had (to deliberately annoy him), left him fairly hacked off.
- Big Eater: By reputation. Smiffy of Hat Films (himself no slouch) claims that he's seen Turps eat a whole family bucket of KFC chicken by himself, and the duo reportedly have plans to do an eating challenge.
- Bond Villain Stupidity: Generally he's smart enough as the murderer in Gmod, but he occasionally throws away an easy victory by taunting his last victims a little too much.
- Boom, Headshot!: How he kills Sjin in YogTours.
- Bullying a Dragon: Locking Strippin in a cupboard to take over his hosting duties in YogNews probably wasn't such a good idea.
- Butt-Monkey / The Chew Toy: In Yognews, he's envious of Strippin initially co-hosting, and when he locks Strippin in the boot, Strippin breaks free and gives chase.
- Cowboy Cop: As a detective in Trouble in Terrorist Town, Turps tends to favour shooting first and not bothering with the questions, dubbing himself the "RDM Detective". This eventually presses Lewis' Berserk Button and drives him to murder Turps out of sheer anger.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: Despite his relatively goofy nature, Turps is savvy as the murderer in Gmod.
- Deadpan Snarker: Often snarks at Sips and Hat Films in the former's Gmod series.
- Drunk on the Dark Side: Whenever playing Gmod Murder, if he gets found out as the murderer he will start hamming it up with psychotic banter.
- Epic Fail:
- In Sips' Gmod series, the gang play Prop Hunt and he decides to hide with Sips in a cupboard by blocking the door, theoretically keeping the hunters out. The door opens both ways and the pair are gunned down in seconds.
- In Murder, Turps spawns with the gun in one round, and Sips is the murderer. Smiffy and Ross both get murdered by Sips, but manage to shout out his in-game name, Papa Miko, and give him away before death. Turps therefore comes to the conclusion that it's Trott aka Lima Romeo, even though they don't have remotely similar names, and shoots Trott. This is after two people gave Sips away.
- Evil Is Hammy: Whenever Turps is the murderer in Garry's Mod- although he does manage to restrain himself until he's caught usually.
- Evil Is Petty: It's implied that in Yogtours, he murders Hat Films for not including him as part of the "Stunt Lads" in Grand Theft Auto V.
- Evil Laugh: As the murderer in Gmod. He gets a good laugh in the opening round of this video, which gives him away.
Ross: Something's really tickling him. Something's really tickled you, hasn't it buddy?
- Exact Words: On YogNews, following Strippin's departure from Yog Towers, Turps claims to be "officially the strongest man in Yog Towers". When Kim Richards effortlessly opens a tightly-shut water bottle while Turps struggles, Turps stands by what he said.
Goddammit, Kim, I said strongest man. Not strongest wo-man. Can't compete with women. Their boob strength.
- Faux Affably Evil: This is how he can also behave in Murder and TTT, if he chooses to sarcastically banter. He also goes from tour host to psychotic murderer with little provocation in Yogtours.
- The Hyena: If Turps finds something funny enough, he will laugh long and hard.
- In the Blood: Sips and Hat Films joke that Turps' newborn daughter screams even louder than babies usually do.
- Laughing Mad: Mostly in Murder. This video has him laughing for well over a minute.
- Leeroy Jenkins: During Round 2 of the "Lucky Walls" challenge in Minecraft (playing alongside Rythian and Zoey Proasheck), he rushes in on a horse in a desperate effort to take out In The Little Wood, Sjin and Lewis. This fails quite badly, but points for trying.
- Large Ham: Turps does tend to shout a fair bit more than he should.
- A perfect example of this is in Kim's Cup (a Mario Kart competition), where, when playing Donkey Kong's track, he repeatedly bellows such things as "It is ON, much like Donkey Kong!" Kim even brings it up in a later round, complaining about him doing it "every five seconds".
- In the intro to Hannah's "Starwhal: Just The Tip" series, this happens:
Hannah: Today, we're playing (pauses to snort/giggle/sigh) "Starwhal"...
Turps: (With an absolutely gleeful expression and accompanying hand movements) JUST THE TIP!
Hannah: ...he's been waiting to do that for weeks.
- Large Ham Announcer: For Sips' The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Grand Finale, Turps narrates over the loading screens quite loudly. The others also nominate him to introduce a new series of TTT on Sips' channel, since Trott and Lewis had rather... uninspired attempts, to put it politely.
- No Indoor Voice: Turps has a notable habit of shouting a lot when panicked. This has led to acknowledgement by the other members of the crew.
- Oh, Crap!: Has one in YogNews, after Strippin breaks out of his car boot, confronts him and gives chase. As it turns out, Strippin's in a forgiving mood in that instance.
- Once an Episode: Each episode of Yogtours ends with him killing the person he's interviewing.
- OOC Is Serious Business: Typically Turps has a fairly loud and slightly immature demeanour when playing games with the others. However, when filming "Dad Chat", an episode of Rambling with Sips, both participants talked fairly seriously about sexism, with them both expressing admiration for their mothers having raised them in an era when it must have been even harder than it is now. Turps having a daughter, he was also quite concerned about what his daughter will have to cope with when she is older.
- Perma-Stubble: Turps has some stubble, but not really enough to have that big a beard.
- Right for the Wrong Reasons: Quite a few times when he commits RDM, the person in question actually was the murderer or a traitor, although it still counts as breaking the rules and earns him a lot of flak from the other players.
- Serial Killer: Played for Laughs in Yogtours, where people joke that he's become something of one for murdering every featured person in the tour thus far.
- Tempting Fate: After pressing Lewis' Berserk Button, he advertised his position, clearly assuming Lewis was joking about actually following up on his threat. The shock in his voice as he's being gunned down shows just how surprised he is.
- Totally Radical: Played for laughs in Yogtours.