The East Coast Four is a collaborative group of Let's Players on YouTube comprised of MageCaptainGilshanks, Fieryredhair08, Korafoya, and ChaosSinfulRose, who all live on the east coast of the United States. Gilshanks is in charge of editing and uploading the videos. They always update on Mondays and Fridays with approximately 30 minute videos.
Their first race, Super Mario World, began on March 25, 2013. The race ended on April 26, 2013, with Chaos as the winner.
Their second race was in Megaman X 2, which began on April 29, 2013. It ended on May 6, 2013, with Chaos as the winner.
Their third race, was in The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. In this race, they split up into two teams, Team Avatar (Kora and Gilshanks) and Team Fiery Chaos (Fiery and Chaos) and was later changed to The Fire Nation by Gilshanks. For the first half of the game, Kora and Chaos will be playing, with Gilshanks and Fiery switching in halfway through. It ended on June 14, 2013, with Gilshanks and Kora : Team Avatar as the winners.
After over 6 months of hiatus, the team returned with a Mario Kart Wii Round Robin Tournament, which began on January 17, 2014 with special guest Super Xenark. The official standings of the tournament are as follows:
- 1st: Chaos
- 2nd: Kora
- 3rd: Fiery
- 4th: S. Xenark
- 5th: Gilshanks
Their current project is a Super Mario Bros. 3 race with 3 different booby traps and Super Mario 3D World, which is their first co-operative LP.
- Super Mario Bros. 3 Race
- Super Mario 3D World Co-op
- Super Mario World
- Megaman X 2
- The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past - Relay Race
- (Literally) Mario Kart Wii Tournament
- Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy - Gilshanks vs. Korafoya
- Super Mario Sunshine - Gilshanks vs. Fieryredhair 08
- Super Mario Galaxy - Gilshanks vs. Fieryredhair 08
- Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards - Chaos vs. Korafoya
- TBA - Chaos vs. Gilshanks
Their Let's Play videos have provided examples of:
- Anvil on Head: Starting with the A Link to the Past Race, an anvil is dropped on a member's screen when another member takes the lead.
- Battle Couple: If Gilshanks and Fiery are on the same team, they qualify as this.
- Butt-Monkey: If Gilshanks ever insults someone, it's probably Fiery.
- Kora towards Part 8 of the Super Mario World race.
- First-Name Basis: Originally averted, but later played straight starting in the later parts of Super Mario World. Later, subverted when they start referring to each other by their screen names again. Now played 50/50 with both first names and screen names being used.
- Large Ham: MAAAAAGE CAPTAIN GILSHANKS!
- No Indoor Voice: Fiery is the most guilty of this in the Super Mario World race. It was so bad that she apologized for it and vowed to take it down a notch in later videos.
- Gilshanks in episode 5 of A Link To the Past, and to a slightly lesser extent, episode 8 of Super Mario World.
- Running Gag: Starting in Super Mario World, Fiery is apparently Gilshanks' mother, which becomes weird when the two started dating in real life.
- Korafoya is actually the Avatar neglecting his duties.
- Screen Shake: Done to a member's screen when they rage during a race.
- Shout-Out: All four members have a habit of referencing Josh Jepson and AttackingTucans's own race Let's Plays.
- That's What She Said: When dealing with a group of 3 guys and 1 girl, it's bound to happen. Gilshanks rarely passes up an opportunity to point an instance out.
- The Smurfette Principle: Fiery's the only girl in the group.
- Actually Pretty Funny: Fiery's response to Gilshanks' suggesting that they clone her and make her race a game agianst herself. They wouldn't even finish the race due to constant rage against each other.
- Alternative Character Interpretation: In-universe about an actual member in Part 7. Fiery apparently gave birth to three Arnold Schwarzeneggers, who are also Gilshanks, Kora, and Chaos.
- And That's Terrible: Gilshanks claims that he will eat a cat if it bothers him in Part 5. While Kora says he could see Gilshanks doing that, Chaos just laughs and says, "That's horrible."
- Angrish: Chaos has a habit of doing this throughout the race.
- Berserk Button: Because Gilshanks is watching his gameplay through his capture card, he rages anytime his screensaver comes on his computer during Part 1.
- Butt-Monkey: Kora is this in Part 8.
- Damn You, Muscle Memory!: Discussed by Fiery in episode 1 of Super Mario World, when she thought she could spin jump by shaking the controller
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: Chaos mentions "cock" in Part 5. Gilshanks then says, "Loshi, you're too slippery," and Fiery also says that he is slippery. Chaos' response: Um...
- The Drunken Sailor: Not so much a sailor as the ship itself thanks to Chaos' hearing in Part 7.
- Everything's Better with Dinosaurs: Brought up by Gilshanks in Part 2 when discussing Loshi.Gilshanks: We'll sell Loshi. It's like lotion but adorable. * beat* And it comes in dinosaur!
- Foreshadowing: Gilshanks mentions how hard he finds unlocking Soda Lake to be in Part 3. You can't even imagine how hard of a time he has with the level where you unlock it.
- Lampshaded with an achievement in-episode.
- I Hate Past Me: This is almost the entirety of Part 6, where their commentary is post-commentated.
- Laser-Guided Karma: Kora is just so ecstatic that he has a Blue Yoshi in Part 8... aaaaaaaand it's gone.
- Made in Country X: According to Chaos in Part 8, Banzai Bills are made in America.
- Mondegreen Gag: Chaos tells Gilshanks to, "Take a rest" and calm himself down in Part 8. Kora hears this as, "Take a breast."
- Nausea Fuel: Gilshanks considers "sucking shit" to this in-universe in the Finale.
- Overly Long Gag: Kora's "AHNOLD" voice in Part 7. He does it for over SEVEN minutes.
- Perfectly Cromulent Word: Chaos gives us "multi-doucheical" in Part 3, apparently describing something that exhibits multiple forms of douchebaggery.
- Running Gag: Gilshanks (and later Kora and Chaos) using his "AHNOLD" voice, especially used in Part 5 and the beginning of Part 7.
- Screams Like a Little Girl: Most of the time done by Chaos during the race.
- Played straight when Gilshanks and Chaos called Fiery out on it.
- Stupid Statement Dance Mix: Gilshanks does this in the Finale to Fiery's phrase, "pouchy pooched-out lips."
- Tempting Fate: Done by Gilshanks in Part 2. He says he's, "amazed he still has his cape." He then loses it eight seconds later.
- That One Level: Gilshanks considers Valley Ghost House's secret exit to be his in-universe.
- With Lyrics: Chaos does this to the Castle/Fortress Theme in Part 5.
- Word Salad Lyrics: Gilshanks attempted to sing "Chocolate Rain" in Part 7. Everything didn't go as expected.
- "Yes"/"No" Answer Interpretation: Done in Part 2 with Loshi.Fiery: Gilshanks, I could totally take that somewhere.
Fiery: Loshi: a new brand! Get yours today!
Kora: Are we gonna, like, market Loshis now?
Kora: I think that's a yes.
- Accidental Pun: In Part 2, Chaos says that he took Gilshanks' skill of the game. Gilshanks says, "You robbed me of it."
- Alternative Character Interpretation: In-universe, Chaos and Gilshanks agree that Wire Sponge is apparently not a sponge, but more of a watermelon or cucumber... or both.
- Call-Back: Loshi is referenced in an achievement in Part 1 after Kora's vehicle is destroyed.
- Class Clown: Kora can't imagine how Chaos' children would be like in Part 1. Chaos speculates that there would be nothing but complete gibberish.
- Dude, Not Funny!: In-universe, pretty much the reaction to Kora making reference of Alzheimer's in the Finale.
- Everyone Has Standards: Gilshanks and Kora, who all shout expletives and roll off swears like it's nothing, all find Chaos describing Wire Sponge as a "dildo-fuck" to be going too far.
- Find Out Next Time: At the end of Part 1, Gilshanks humorously leaves us with "Thank you guys for watching! Be sure to watch the next one, too!" *cue laughing*
- Hypocritical Humor: Gilshanks tells Kora in Part 2 that, "It's just a game, dude. Calm down," after Gilshanks spent much of the previous part yelling at the game.
- Lampshaded by Fiery when she said, "Says you. Gilshanks, I don't even want to hear that bullshit come out of your mouth."
- Mood Whiplash: These lines concerning kittens in Part 2, which is immediately lampshaded by Chaos.Fiery: Don't be mean to the kitty, or I will come to your house, and I will hurt you.
Gilshanks: Don't be mean to the kitty, or I will FUCK YOU UP IN YOUR NIGHTMARES.
- Take That!: In Part 1, Gilshanks compares the beetle enemies in Flame Stag's stage to New Jersey driver, 'cause they're both in the way.
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
- Alternative Character Interpretation: In-universe in Part 2, Gilshanks says that Petey Piranha is actually just lonely. Fiery suggests that they create Patricia Piranha for him, complete with pigtails and bows.
- Big "WHAT?!": Gilshanks' reaction after hearing Fiery attempting to explain how FLUDD reproduces in Part 1.
- N-Word Privileges: Claimed by Gilshanks when he insults the Italians in Part 4.Gilshanks: What the fuck are you doing, Mario? Jesus, though.
Fiery: (In stereotypical New York accent) What are ya doin', uh?
Gilshanks: Fucking Italian prick.
Fiery: Oh oh, coming from the Italian himself.
Gilshanks: That's why I can say it.
- Aborted Arc: Was meant to be the fourth race, segmented into several sections across the different game types. Didn't quite get off the ground (until its resurrection almost a year later).
- Achievements in Ignorance: Gilshanks believes that every stupid thing Chaos does during a race actually ends up helping him win it.
- Alternate Character Interpretation: In-universe, Gilshanks believes that all Nintendo protagonists are "actually sadistic assholes."
- Angrish: When Chaos dies a second time on Dyna Blade, he rages in an unintelligible speech that sounds like a combination of crying and screaming.
- The Bus Came Back: Reinstated as the fourth race at the beginning of June and kicked off with Spring Breeze.
- Democracy Is Bad: Gilshanks prefers the EC4 to be an Anarcho-Commiunism.
- Name's the Same: An in-universe example: "Knuckle Joe isn't the only Joe that matters."
- The Woobie: In-universe, it's definitely Kora in this one.
- It started when Fiery completely forgot that Kora was part of the team that won the A Link to the Past race.
- Gilshanks says that he is playing almost as bad as Kora.
- Everyone in the EC4 has equal leadership except for Kora (according to himself).
- Embarrassingly Painful Sunburn: Chaos still has a sunburn as he desperately tries to avoid hitting anybody while moving in and out of the camera.