Who says you can't make a living by playing video games?
Seamus 'SSoHPKC' O'Doherty (YouTube name SSoHPKC) is a YouTube video game player known in the gaming community for the massive amounts of uploading he does. He will often fall just short of uploading one dozen videos per day and even has a program which does the uploading for him should he be unable to meet his usual amount by his own hand. The norm for him is to play recently released titles, though he occasionally goes back to an old favorite or will play older games of a series if a new title is to be released in the near future. And as always, he plays Super Mario ROM hacks, the very thing which launched Seamus into super stardom among the Let's Play community.
Known primarily for his sarcastic nature, Seamus is a proud Irishman with a love for alcohol and has even uploaded videos of himself playing while drunk. A pale, scrawny boy in his 20's, Seamus will often play games and make videos with the largest example being the dozens of Minecraft videos featuring various co-op partners.
Originally, playing video games and uploading them to YouTube was just a hobby. Seamus worked at Target and took some college courses while playing games on the side. Deciding there had to be a better way to live than his current situation was allowing, he ended his time in college and quit his job, citing numerous issues with his work place (He has no problems with Target in general, just that one store) which ranged from poor management to bad experiences with customers. Once he reached a high level of popularity on his YouTube channel, he was offered a deal by Machinima.
His play style is very action-oriented. If Seamus has the option to shoot his way through the bad guys or sneak around them, he will ignore the stealth option nearly every time. Puzzles tend to be a sore subject with Seamus as he has expressed numerous times that he is not a huge fan of puzzles, even saying the puzzle-heavy section of Darksiders was so bad that it caused him to not play the game for a few days. That being said, Seamus has completed both Portal and Portal 2 due to high demand for them to be played. While he does do sidequests and download DLC for various games, he is not a 100% completion type.
Seamus pays attention to what his fans say and will reference comments made in videos on occasion, even negative one. Comments he finds stupid might have a chance of being the focus of a Troll video where Seamus takes the comment's contents (usually a complaint about his playing style) and exaggerates what he was doing which caused the complaining. He has organized these videos into a playlist which can be found here.
A full list of the games he has played is available on his channel because it is far too long to be listed here.
Tropes seen in his work include:
- Accentuate the Negative: Tends to happen with some of the games that he plays.
- A Date with Rosie Palms: In the Game of Life play through with Sly and Nova Seamus is "sued" by Nova and had to play a minigame that involved rocking the analogue stick on the Xbox controller really fast. Seamus mentions that he used his "masturbating hand" and him winning the game was the result of "ten years of practice." Nova then tells him he "jerks off too much."
- Seamus has to go "upload some videos"
- And Now For Something Completely Different: Seamus has a couple of series where he plays games completely drunk.
- He also has attempted to Let's Play Real Life, to varying success.
- Audience Participation: Occasionally does polls or requests feedback from his viewers either in the comments section of a video or on some social media site.
- Berserk Button: As of late, Seamus has started to really enjoy taking his frustrations out on more Jerk Ass characters. This might seem standard for a gamer but, it gets interesting, see Double Standard below.
- Boom, Headshot!: Seamus can be a decent shot when the time calls for it and he loves getting a kill via headshot no matter the gun or game.
- Bowdlerise: Happens in some of his earlier videos, as Retsupurae pointed out. Subverted now, in that he curses like a sailor. An Irish one.
- Butt-Monkey: Seamus during his Mario Party 4 playthrough with Ashh. It's even titled "Bad Luck Seamus Plays Mario Party With A Jerk"
- Catchphrase: Go here but get comfy, because there's a lot of them.
- Cluster F-Bomb: Will happen sometimes.
- Cool Toy: Casual Goku is Seamus favorite action figure. It even appears on his outro.
- The Computer Is a Cheating Bastard: Peach during Mario Party 4. High rolls, constant landing on item spaces, and winning a lot at minigames.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Invoked during Pokemon LPs, to the point where some Pokemon might even "lose points" for not defeating a lower leveled enemy in a single move.
- Deadpan Snarker: To date, the majority of Seamus' videos are done in a deadpan and relatively monotone voice, unless he's either with friends, sees something so insane he can't even keep up a pretense of deadpan, or finds something really good.
- Defcon Five: Seamus makes it a point to avert this trope, declaring situations where his video game character is near death as "Defcon One".
- Department of Redundancy Department: Episode 25 in his Grand Theft Auto: Vice City series has this line: "There's a cop car right here... conveniently parked here for my convenience!"
- Determinator: Its less about Seamus having inhuman determination and more about him being too stubborn to admit defeat even after twenty failures.
- Double Standard: When Seamus runs over a pedestrian, shoots an innocent, or preforms some other some other morally questionable actions it's all good times... But if the Villain does the same, or Less, ass kickings with liberal use of the swear "Asshole" are assured. This gets rather obvious when he spends a lot of time trying to shoot his way through a massive group of people for killing Nuns in Hitman after having spent the entire game leaving as few survivors as possible, Innocent or Not, while showing no remorse.
- Even the Guys Want Him: Seamus's fans on his vlogs have said that he's so sexy that they would go gay for him.
- He's well aware of these fans and makes good use of their existence. While Seamus has stated he is heterosexual, he has jokingly mentioned to his girlfriend that he has options other than her even outside the female category.
- First-Person Ghost: invoked in the Farcry 3 playthrough.
- Flat "What": Gives these when something unexpected happens, usually in a Mario hack.
- Funny Background Event: Sometimes one of the cats will cause some noise during a video. A couple videos have audio that picked up Nova screaming from across the house.
- Gag Haircut: What Seamus ended up with when the Creatures attempted to give him a haircut.
- Genre Savvy: He may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer but his vast experience of playing games so often is paying off. His playthrough of The Last of Us showed him making a lot of accurate guesses about things in the game, even some plot developments which gave no hints at all.
- Griefer: Occasionally does this in Minecraft if someone makes Seamus believe they deserve it.
- Have I Mentioned I Am Sexually Active Today?: Was this before he hooked up with Ashh, to the point that it spawned one of his more recurring memes.
- Hello, [Insert Name Here]: When given the option to name the player character, he always simply inputs his initials SSoH, no matter how awkward a name like "SSoH Hawke" would sound. For Pokemon, he'll usually give them fairly basic yet fitting names. By his admission, he's not good at making names.
- Heroic Comedic Sociopath: Find any game where a recurring enemy gave Seamus trouble early and fast-forward to a point where he becomes a mook-stomping machine capable of defeating multiple of the earlier mooks easily.
- 100% Completion: Averted. Seamus is perfectly fine with missing some things in a game.
- I Meant to Do That: Whenever he accidentally makes the shot he wanted in Peggle 2 he would always say he "calculated" that shot.
- It Was Here, I Swear!: Seamus will occasionally go past an item since he cannot carry any more of it, only to use or lose some in the next room. When he goes back into the previous room the item will have despawned, leading to this reaction.
- Jump Scare:
- Remarkably ineffective on Seamus, though he is not immune to them. Most people flee from the Dead Space necromorphs; Seamus damn near gleefully skips up to them so he could stomp on them. His fans got over the Slender phase quicker than most when they saw how unaffected by the jump scares Seamus was. The infamous BioShock Infinite jump scare didnt faze him either.
- He revealed during his Resident Evil 2 playthrough that he thrived on horror games when he was young and that the shift of horror from survival-horror into action-horror just makes for less fright.Creepy atmospheres in scary environments, terrifying enemies and a sense of helplessness despite having a pistol has been replaced by dual-wielding M-16s, truckloads of gore and the annoyance of not being able to see your dick 95% of the time in the dark.
- Leeroy Jenkins: Tends to ignore anything resembling subtlety whenever he feels he can simply charge through an obstacle. This of course tends to work against him, especially if a game introduces some sort of puzzle into the mix.
- Let's Play: Not technically considered one, but still could count because he fits all the criteria for a Let's Play and even his wiki refers to the playthroughs as Let's Plays.
- Seamus has gone on record and called himself a Let's Player, so he at least considers himself one as of now.
- Like an Old Married Couple: Seamus and Ashh show shades of this even when playing games on the same side. He is like this with the Creatures since they are practically one big family.
- Loads and Loads of Loading: Seamus will be vocal about his displeasure if a game has this. Even if he is a fan of the series, like Sly Cooper or Fallout, expect no mercy from the onslaught of sarcastic quips.
- Long Runner: Seamus himself is a long runner. The man has more than 10,000 videos.
- His Skyrim LP, with a total of 274 episodes.
- Killing Floor is getting up there, at 262 episodes and showing no signs of stopping.
- Milestone Celebration: Does this when he reaches a certain amount of subscribers of video uploads.
- Multiple Demographic Appeal: The man plays A LOT of games across many platforms with a variety of game types, giving fans with different tastes plenty of options. His focus tends to be on recently released games or the predecessors of said games should a sequel be coming out soon.
- Naked People Are Funny: When its a sort of family friendly nudity, yes. When we can all see visible nudity that YouTube would have issues with, Seamus often gets angry about it because he will have to do some editing.
- Performance Anxiety: Like many Lets Players, Seamus has mentioned the Lets Play Curse more than once. Not to mention that he does feel the effects of playing such a large, varying quantity of games every so often.
- Political Correctness Gone Mad: He claims this is the reason he's abandoned some of his more "controversial" catchphrases, such as "Kennedy'd", "Cobain'd" and others. But Seamus being who he is, will bring up a controversial subject on occasion just because he wants to.
- Precision F-Strike: Numerous examples exist.Out-fucking-standing, Marines!
- Recurring Extra: Vivek 13 is a voiceless player who shows up in quite a few Left 4 Dead videos.
- Retsupurae: Was the target for one of their videos, "The Mystery of the Sponsored Let's Play". Which led to the Critical Backlash entry on Retsupurae's page. Seamus himself states that he's a big fan of Retsupurae however and was looking forward to being targeted.
- Running Gag: He had one in his Kingdoms of Amular: Reckoning playthrough where he would mention his character's 1800's mustache at every opportunity.
- In his Peggle 2 playthough: he would say "calculated" whenever he accidentally makes the shot he wanted or just makes the shot purely by chance. He also frequently mentions his "NASA scientists" calculating the shots for him.
- Sarcastic Clapping: Most common in co-op playthroughs with other people. Seamus does not let failure go without acknowledging it in some way.
- Save Scumming: Save States are commonly used and abused whenever he plays ROM Hacks of Super Mario World.
- To be fair, some of the ROM hacks he plays are mind numbingly difficult, to the point that savescumming is the only way to avoid frustration on his or his fan's part.
- Serial Escalation: Many of the Left 4 Dead maps he has played with Jason use this.
- Shotguns Are Just Better: Or so he would have you believe, anyway. Seamus tends to play well, or at least better than before, once he picks up a shotgun.
- Sir Swearsalot: If Seamus had to put a nickel in a jar for every profanity he uttered, it would have enough money in it to buy Europe by the end of a year.
- Soul-Sucking Retail Job: According to Seamus, this was his job at Target before he quit and was able to live off his YouTube carrier.
- Spell My Name with an "S": Seamus' name is spelled in a way where he gets this A LOT, especially by fans.
- Take That!/Self-Deprecation: During the Life playthrough with Sly and Nova, this little conversation came up about Seamus's career as a stripper.
Seamus:I don't want to be a stripper. It's demeaning.Sly: But you already make videos for Youtube.Seamus: It's more demeaning than that.
- After someone mentioned that they got the same jobs as last time and thus, had to get the same jobs in real life:
- The "Clock Open Them Bears" catchphrase originated as an insult by a troll, but Seamus adopted it as an insult and a catchphrase.
- Take That, Audience!: After revealing that he had Option C spoiled for him, Seamus decided to end his Grand Theft Auto V series by choosing Option Bnote . It backfired and after fierce fan/viewer backlash, Seamus later apologized with the finale those upset originally wanted.
- Team Pet: The lovable Mr. Meowgi. The Mr. is a Shout-Out to South Park.
- Tempting Fate: Ashh does this during Seamus's Mario Party 4 playthrough.
- Too Dumb to Live: Due to him usually playing new games, he often has no idea what he's doing and tends to do poorly in puzzles. His impatience also tends to cause him unnecessary difficulties in gaming, the prominent example being his eagerness to skip text which contained a useful hint for the future. And he knows he does this.
- Troll: Not him, but one of his pictures of Trollax.
- It's easy to tell which videos Seamus is indulging in this himself when he's filming himself, the Snorlax will be upside down. For videos he's taking seriously, the Snorlax will be right-side up.
- In fact, one of his vlog videos, titled "I Don't Wear The Same Shirt Every Day" had him with five different shirts of the same design. It would seem like its one of these, but a quick pan over his stuff that he got revealed Snorlax was right-side up, meaning the video was serious.
- He even has a series of videos called "Troll ______ Troll" where he plays games in a specific way to poke fun at commenters who tell him he's playing the game wrong.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Sly. This is most prevalent during the Last Update, where both of them insult each other a lot, but they are actually really good friends.
- Referenced during the return of Ex-Comm when after Sly insulted Seamus a bunch, Seamus said "You're trying to turn this into Last Update."
- Weird Beard: For "No Shave November" 2012 Seamus reluctantly stopped shaving and made a small series of v blogs videos each week. He says that he hates having a beard because his never properly grows and is patchy, he shaves right after November ends.
- Worst. Whatever. Ever!: Seamus will describe the more difficult portions of games as this if he has too much trouble with them for too long. Tends to be more common with puzzles.