In November 2020, Ranboo joined Dream's Minecraft server Dream SMP. This was the start of his massive skyrocket in popularity within the Minecraft LetsPlayer community, and since he has hit the number one most subbed to on Twitch, breaking several records in the timespan of only 6 months.
Ranboo is also a member of the Hybrid/Powers/Origins SMP, and CogChamp SMP, and often collaborates with other content creators such as TommyInnit, Tubbo, Philza, and many other Minecraft Let's Players. On top of that, he also plays a character in the YouTube series Voltz Warz.
Ranboo provides examples of:
- Bait-and-Switch Comment: Unintentionally, with the famous "Not one, not two, not three... (Beat) We have three tubs of frosting!"
- Berserk Button: He hates being called anything related to a cat, such as a Cat Boy or a "meow-meow". And Tubbo loves to push this button.
- Holy cow!
- Ohp, there I go. Explanation
- Cool Crown: He wears one on his Minecraft skin, and occasionally in irl content.
- Cordon Bleugh Chef: He often gets a bit too creative during his cooking videos.
- In the first video, he made a bowl of Minecraft Creeper Crunch cereal, to which he added an entire cinnamon roll. As he quickly finds out, cinnamon rolls do not taste good when soaked in milk.
- In the second video, he adds M&Ms to pre-made cake batter. This does not go well, all the M&M's sink to the bottom of the mixing bowl, and the dye bled into the cake itself during baking, which does not help its appearance.Ranboo: We have our cake here, it looks, um... (Beat) Diseased, to say the least.
- Ranboo then tries to fix his cake by adding three tubs of frosting on the top, which he then tops with more M&M's and gummy worms. With the size of the cake, three tubs of frosting means that the layer of frosting is as thick as the cake itself.Ranboo: It is half frosting, half cake, and FULL abomination.
- Ranboo then tries to fix his cake by adding three tubs of frosting on the top, which he then tops with more M&M's and gummy worms. With the size of the cake, three tubs of frosting means that the layer of frosting is as thick as the cake itself.
- Creator Career Self-Deprecation: Even though a major part of his content is Minecraft based, Ranboo often pokes fun at content creators who make Minecraft content for a living.Ranboo: No, in quotation marks, "normal" person will ever be a Minecraft YouTuber.
- Dude, Not Funny!: While playing Slime Rancher for the first time, Ranboo fills a slime pen with pink slimes and tries to walk into the pen to collect the plorts that the slimes had produced. This results in him getting the achievement "Ball pit", and Ranboo immediately starts yelling at the game.Explanation Ranboo: Oh my goodness, you've got to be kidding me. This is not— not funny. Not funny. NOT FUNNY. I am not laughing right now.
- The Faceless: Downplayed. Though Ranboo sometimes uses facecam, he is usually seen wearing sunglasses, a mask, and gloves, obscuring his full appearance.
- Gosh Darn It to Heck!: Downplayed, but Ranboo chooses not to swear in his content.
- Line-of-Sight Name: While answering questions during a stream, Ranboo confirmed that he came up with his name by picking objects from the room around him at random, and then saying the name of the object differently. The name that stuck was a variation of the word "rainbow", which he got from "Rainbow Loom". As in, the rubber-band bracelet-making toy.
- Running Gag:
- Up to Eleven: On his February 16th 2021 stream, Ranboo gained 18 thousand Twitch subscribers, broke multiple sub goals, and became one of the most subscribed to channels of all time, in just one stream!
- Again on his first charity subathon stream, where he hit the number one most subbed spot on Twitch, and raised over 100 thousand dollars for a LGBTQ+ charity.