Her focus is story-driven or horror based games (the latter frequently while alternating playthroughs with Hannah Rutherford, dubbed "Fright Nights"), but she has also had several modded Minecraft series while partnered with Duncan Jones.
She hosted the YogNews series with Strippin and later Turpster on the BlueXephos YouTube channel. She also presents a series of video game reviews called Kimpressions and plays Jiǔtóu Zhìjī Jīng in the High Rollers Dungeons & Dragons Campaign organized by Yogscast Community Manager Mark Hulmes.
On November 22, 2016, she released a video announcing she would be leaving Youtube as of January 8, 2017 to focus on Twitch, although she would still make appearances on other peoples' channels, and would upload travel vlogs from time to time. She also stressed that she was not leaving the Yogscast, and would remain a member for the foreseeable future.
She made a brief return to Youtube on July 20, 2018, when she posted a vlog giving an update on her life, including giving some reasons on why she left Youtube/Twitch (chronic pain problems and the constant hateful messages she would receive), and also that she was engaged and would be getting married in August of that year.
Her YouTube channel can be found here.
Kim Richards provides examples of:
- Adorkable: Being a Yogscast member, it comes with the territory.
- Affably Evil: Her brand new fluxed-up Evil Twin, Specimen 5, is much more laid back than she is, and appears to have a thing for Duncan.
- Ambiguously Bi: In her 2016 Pride Solidarity Stream, she revealed she had previously had relationships with both men and women, although she was still uncertain as to what her sexuality was and how she would label it.
- As of late 2018, she has announced on her Instagram that she considers herself to be pansexual.
- Attention Deficit... Ooh, Shiny!: At least in her Minecraft persona, wherein she nearly walks into lava.
- Berserk Button:
- She sees Sjin online at the start of her and Duncan's Galacticraft series, and starts asking angrily if he remembers the incident at Sipsco from The Apprentice series.
- More seriously, homophobia seems to set her off in real life.
- Brick Joke: During the Apprentice series she made with Duncan, they were testing a mod that added portal guns as a craftable item. As a joke, Kim aims and fires a portal towards the moon, just as she'd seen done in the game... only to discover that the exact same thing happens. Her treasure chest (and half the building) were sucked through the portal. Over a year later, when she and Duncan had moved on to the Galacticraft mod spotlight, Kim is the first to test their rocket to the moon. When she lands, one of the first things she finds is the remains of her building... and everything in the treasure chest just as she left it.
- Big "NO!": Occurs in Episode 12 of MineCraft UHC Survival! One Life, when Caff dies in the nether during their search for netherwort.
- Butt-Monkey / The Chew Toy: Often the butt of jokes in videos.
- The YogNews series has a (relatively affectionate) Running Gag about her height (five feet exactly), and her 300,000 subscribers special gets hijacked by Simon forcing her to dress up as a corgi◊.
- In The Apprentice series, her time at Sipsco started with Sips beating her with a stick, and ended with him blowing her up using TNT.
- Kim was hired by Duncan after landing in his fountain due to the aforementioned TNT incident. Things are all well and good until she falls into Duncan's hilariously unsafe Node Containment Chamber, becoming tainted with Flux in the process. Duncan seals Kim into her tower and then forgets that she's even there for 100 days.
- Cloud Cuckoolander: Has some definite shades of it. On the 25th January 2014 edition of YogNews, when she heard that that week's RPM spotlight was a channel called Alpacapatrol, she drifted off, wondering what an alpaca on patrol would look like.
- Cloud Cuckoolanders Minder: Kim has this relationship with Duncan, as his Mad Scientist tendencies mixed with a short supply of common sense means she has to make sure he doesn't blow them both up.
- Cunning Linguist: When asked in her Questions and Answers video if she spoke any other languages, she answered quite fluently in several, including French, Spanish, and Japanese.
- The Corruption: After her character fell into the nuclear sphere at Duncan's Lab, her Minecraft avatar gets increasingly prominent purple taint stains. Later on her persona seems to change slightly as a result, particular developing an obsession for taint and other purple things when it appears in the modpack, and even feeling more at home in the heavily corrupted ruin of Duncan's castle than she apparently had when it was still intact. The tainted monsters in the castle ignore her at first and go straight for Duncan.
- Deadpan Snarker: In YogNews, and also in her collaborations with Hannah (which sometimes turn into Snark-to-Snark Combat).
- The Ditz: Her Minecraft Persona, with added traces of Cloud Cuckoo Lander.
- Drinking Game: Apparantly this one involves how many more times The Last of Us is going to make her cry.
- For the Evulz: Kim becomes... rather excited at the thought of going into a Crematorium where they are dead bodies with a cannibal on the loose. Hannah is not so excited.
- Genre Savvy: Especially about horror games.Kim: You'd think, by now, that bioterrorists and mega shady evil corporations would have learned their lesson. After the T-Virus, the G-Virus, the T and G virus, The C Virus, the X Virus, the Progenitor Virus, the Veronica virus, you'd stop making viruses, you evil science wielding charlatans!
- Gosh Dang It to Heck!: Is one of the few Yogscast members to avoid swearing most of the time. For the most part, she'll use family-friendly substitutes and only really starts swearing when sufficiently annoyed or panicked. And even then, she'll do her best to keep it under control.
- Heroic BSoD: Had one during the Outlast DLC when she and Hannah encountered Eddie Gluskin and his habit of graphically mutilating men in an attempt to turn them into women before inevitably murdering them - messily. She actually put her head in her lap and briefly broke down into tears before being able to continue.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Hannah, since the two collaborate a lot.
- Huge Guy, Tiny Girl:
- Naïve Newcomer:
- In The Apprentice due to having never even played vanilla Minecraft before. While everyone else was already up to building complicated factories and tree farms in complicated mod packs, Kim was still grasping the absolute basics of crafting.
- She also takes a while to adjust to Garry's Mod Murder. In a particularly blatant instance, Duncan exposes her before death, at which point she keeps the knife out and slowly walks past Lewis... failing to firstly put the knife away in time, then failing to realise that he is right next to her, and armed with a gun. She also hadn't sorted out her textures, likely due to her not owning Counter-Strike.
- She and Matt are this in the High Rollers series (she did play Dungeons & Dragons when she was younger, but has forgotten most of it, since it was a long time ago).
- Nice Girl: Without a doubt, Kim is one of the nicer members of the Yogscast.
- Nice Hat: Of Totoro, no less
- Older Than They Look: Would you believe she's 32 years old?
- Platonic Life-Partners: With Duncan Jones. Kim made sure to point out the "platonic" part repeatedly, since the two collab in many respects now.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The Red to Hannah's Blue - which is especially amusing now that Kim has highlighted her hair red and Hannah has highlighted hers blue.
- Running Gag: Quite a few.
- Her inability to play Minecraft is a frequent joke at her expense, although as she's improved the jokes have been fewer and further between.
- Her obsession with Benedict Cumberbatch, taken to its logical extreme in this Yogskim Special.
- Her height gets joked about a bit as well.
- Her editor Matt has taken to depicting the screen cracking whenever she sings.
- The Teetotaler: Kim used to drink but has since given it up; this is due to her suffering from extreme vomiting and constant headaches if she does. This isn't her drinking too much per say, but rather what happens even with a very mild hangover due to either allergies or her genes.
- Tender Tears: Amongst the few Yogscast members who have cried obviously while playing a game.
- Throw the Dog a Bone:
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Is the (somewhat) Girly Girl to Hannah's Tomboy.
- Took a Level in Badass: Slowly, surely, she is getting better in Minecraft.
- Best shown by her PVP videos, where she manages to keep up with the rest of them.
- She becomes the fourth player to land a rocket on the moon, and the first to not die or destroy their rocket doing so. For context, Simon Lane, Duncan Jones and Lewis Brindley all failed in their attempts, and while the latter may not have destroyed his rocket he did suffocate himself to death.
- In episode 11 of MineCraft UHC Survival! One Life, she shows how far she's come from The Apprentice - she leads a bunch of her fellow UH Cers into the Nether to gather resources needed to progress towards their shared ultimate goal of facing down the Ender Dragon. There are some scary moments and freak outs, in addition to a Mystery Man task performed by Caff...but the end result of the expedition is a mostly-successful run (sans Netherwort), and more importantly no casualties. Note - Ultra Hardcore means that if anyone dies, they are booted and banned from the server. The Nether is not a particularly nice place, either.
- Trademark Favorite Food: In her online media sites she describes herself as the devourer of noodles.
- Unfazed Everyman: Unfazed by the more bizarre antics of the crew.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: She and Hat Films really do get on very well, but their banter does get quite salty from time to time.
- What the Hell Is That Accent?: Born in the UK, raised in Malaysia, and moved with her family several times to Norway, Scotland, Venezuela, Colombia, Shanghai and then back to the UK. To Americans, she may sound generically "English" but this question came up a lot during her first year on the Yogscast.