—The Dungeon Master C.J. summarizing the first adventure
Dungeons & Drogans is a group of gamers who record their intrepid and often humorous adventures in Dungeons & Dragons. The group started over a year ago with the official module: Keep on the Shadowfell and finished its sequel, the Thunderspire Labyrinth adventure. The series has gradually improved in quality and grown to include several players.
The players and their characters are as follows:
- Thomas - Jacques the wizard (retired)
- Nick - Coltaine the warlord (living)
- Dave - Rekoj the warden (deceased) and Rhekd the cleric (living)
- Stephen - Autumn the rogue (deceased) Morgan the paladin (deceased)
- John - Zacsarrd the cleric (deceased) Zaxzarrd the cleric (brother of Zacsarrd)(deceased) Zook the druid (deceased) Sorrow the wizard (living)
- Doug - Win'Tyr the ranger (living)
The videos can be watched at the Youtube channel here.
Dungeons & Drogans provides examples of:
- Adaptational Wimp: It could just be Jacques' incompetence, but in 3rd edition, magic missiles would always hit unless the opponent had some form of spell resistance. In the first battle, he is virtually unable to hit anything, due to consistent low rolling.CJ: And Thomas here managed to consistently roll less than 10 on his d20, making Jacques appear to be the least effective wizard in history.
Nick: Never before have I seen so many magic missiles miss.
Dave: He hit lots of rocks and stuff, though, so I guess he was distracting the enemy.
Nick: That's true, actually, he did manage to scare one of the creatures.
Thomas: That's right! I did hit one magic missile, so I'm not completely useless. Ha-ha!
Nick: That's true, it's like 1 out of 7. Not bad.
- Anyone Can Die: Coltaine is the only surviving member of the original party.
- Except for Jacques, but he's considered senile.
- Axe-Crazy: Rekoj, to the point where he quite literally stomped several kobolds to a pulp
- An Axe to Grind: Rekoj wielded a battleaxe and Coltaine carries a halberd
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: They can't go five minutes without accidental metagamingColtaine: Coltaine rushes here, 1-2-3-4-5, south of the second kobold- Sorry, did I just give it a name?
C.J.: [chuckling] Yeah, you did.
Coltaine: Oh. Um, the scaled lizard creature that I have never encountered before, that's possibly a kobold- but I don't know what a kobold is. You know.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Jacques. So very much JacquesJacques: I want to use a spell on the pitcher of ale.
C.J.: Let me guess, prestidigitation?
Jacques: You betcha! It's going to be BOILING HOT!
- Cruel and Unusual Death: Zook being drowned and battered to death by the cherub statue trap
- Deadpan Snarker:
- ColtaineColtaine: Oh, I've a great idea, let's throw his body into the sort of magical circle and see if he turns into some kind of undead abomination.
Rekoj: That's actually a good idea.
Coltaine: It's a terrible idea.
- Thomas tries this on Dave, to little availDave: 20 STRENGTH!
Thomas: So you must have negative 20 intellect?
Dave: Are you kidding me? My character sheet says 10 intelligence.
Thomas: So you're average.
Dave: Damn straight I am.
Thomas: Sucks to be you! I mean—
Jacques: Lets see here then... El suckyo beyo you-ee-yo!
Dave: Alright, so Rekoj is getting bored of stomping this creature...
- Elaborate Underground Base: Shadowfell Keep and Thunderspire Labyrinth
- Five-Man Band: They're a fairly well-rounded group.
- Funny Background Event: When Rhekd and Coltaine are going over the plans, Win'Tyr begins to attack their hostage.
- Genius Ditz: Coltaine, at times
- Coltaine can never remember the name of the innkeep, Salvana
- Kill It with Fire: Sorrow's preferred method
- Knight in Sour Armor: Coltaine and Win'Tyr
- Loveable Rogue: Splug and Rusk
- Made of Iron: Rekoj
- Only Sane Man: Coltaine, especially in the earlier sessions
- Palette Swap: To differentiate the kobolds with different powers from each other.C.J.: This one seems smaller; its scales a little darker.
- Suicidal Overconfidence: Zacsarrd and his brother both had a penchant for charging while wearing cloth armor
- Tempting Fate: The way the Drogans buried Zaxzarrd.Coltaine: So you want to bury him underneath some magic circle they used to reanimate corpses?
- Title Drop:
- In the first sessionRekoj: Let's call ourselves "The Drogans".
Coltaine: Where'd you get that idea?
Rekoj: I don't know. But it sounds cool. Just like my 20 strength.
- Rekoj also tries to put his name into his game. His reaction to getting blood all over his legs from stomping on the kobold corpses:Rekoj: Awesome! I create Rekojes (Wreckages)
Nick: He's so clever.
- In the first session
- Vitriolic Best Buds:
- The Drogans are this with each other, and tend towards this outside of combat.
- Coltaine and Win'tyr are this in particular. See "You Killed My Cousin" below.
- Why Don't You Just Shoot Him??: Defeat means capture, not death, for the Drogans. Subverted somewhat with Drogans killed in battle before the villains offer surrender.
- You All Meet in an Inn: How the Drogans form.
- You Killed My Father: Well, You Killed My Cousin — Win'tyr, to Coltaine. Although Win'tyr's character has been convinced that it might not have been his cousin Ninaran that the Drogans killed.