The Classic Gaming Grand Prix (or CGGP for short) is a community-based racing channel initially founded by Gunarm Dyne after spending time with various racing groups and being inspired by various mechanics used in each. The primary purpose and main Grand Prix format is to allow a group of four to get together and record short races through four different games, with each participant choosing one of the games. The primary rules for each race are dictated by the one who selected that game while the only general rule is to try to limit each race to only 1 hour for the sake of time. There are no set prizes for winning a Grand Prix, but the most common is getting to select a bonus game that's raced for fun. Hosting/editing and participation is entirely voluntarily.
A secondary, Time Trial-style format has recently been introduced to make participation more simple for groups who aren't able to record together. They are given a starting point within a game and are challenged to get as far as possible in 30 minutes. They are tasked to record and submit their files individually before a set deadline.
It's an open community, and people who are interested in joining are encouraged to sign up at the CGGP Forums while most of the planning is done in the channel's Discord server.
1st CGGP - Gunarm Dyne, TheSonicGeek, BloodyThunderX, Sinisterkun
- Adventure Island II (NES)
- Donkey Kong Country
- Super Mario Kart
- Ninja Gaiden II: The Dark Sword of Chaos
- Bonk's Adventure
2nd CGGP - GunarmDyne, TheSonicGeek, BloodyThunderX, Sinisterkun
- Sonic 3 & Knuckles
- Kirby's Dream Course
- "Manos" The Hands of Fate
- Kung Fu
- Super Mario Bros. Crossover
3rd CGGP - CaptainTurbo, GoldGleeGamer1, TheSonicGeek, BloodyThunderX
4th CGGP - GunarmDyne, GoldGleeGamer1, BloodyThunderX, Sinisterkun
- Super Mario Land
- Super Castlevania IV
- Kickle Cubicle
- Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble!
- Lufia 2 Rise Of The Sinistrals Ancient Cave.
Lost CGGP - Sinisterkun, CaptainTurbo, Lv27MarkerMan, GoldGleeGamer1
5th CGGP - GunarmDyne, BloodyThunderX, LylatRanbewb, Nintendo Caprisun
- Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
- Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest
- Zelda II: The Adventure of Link
- Final Fantasy IV
6th CGGP - lv27MarkerMan, GoldGleeGamer1, RedNova, Lucha_Gym
- Spider-Man and the X-Men in Arcade's Revenge
- Little Nemo: The Dream Master
- Aladdin (Genesis)
- Castlevania: Dracula X
7th CGGP - GoldGleeGamer1, Sinisterkun, GunarmDyne, Oppaiman100
- Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins
- Super Mario Bros. 3
- Wario Land II
- Mario Is Missing Done Right
- Super Mario World
8th CGGP - GoldGleeGamer1, RedNova, GunarmDyne, TheSonicGeek
- Super Mario Bros. 5 Minute Challenge
- Hyrule Warriors - GunarmDyne vs Lv27MarkerMan
- The Legend of Zelda - Sinisterkun vs OppaiMan100
- Shadow of the Colossus - GunarmDyne vs TheSonicGeek
- Kirby Super Star Arena - GunarmDyne vs GoldGleeGamer1
- Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) - CaptainTurbo vs Oppaiman100
- Super Bowling - GoldGleeGamer1 vs GunarmDyne vs Oppaiman100
- Double Dragon II - GunarmDyne vs Sinisterkun vs Oppaiman100 vs RedNova vs ProtonJon
- Sonic Generations - GunarmDyne vs CaptainTurbo vs Oppaiman100 vs BloodyThunderX
- The Little Mermaid - GoldGleeGamer1 vs GunarmDyne
- Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts - Lucha_Gym vs NintendoCapriSun vs Oppaiman100 vs GunarmDyne
- Contra III: The Alien Wars
- Super Castlevania IV
- Castlevania: Dracula X
Races inspired by the ones done by Let's Race With RPGM:
The Grand Prix provides examples of the following:
- Anachronic Order: Part 2 of Donkey Kong Country 3 in GP4 has some of GoldGlee's audio out of sync, making it sound like he's responding to questions before being asked them.
- Bait-and-Switch: TMNT starts off normally in GP 5, then gets interrupted by one of NintendoCapriSun's many burps.
- Big "WHAT?!": All over the place in Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts. They usually accompany Sanity Slippage.
- Borrowed Catch Phrase: At the end of Part 2 of ''Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts," NCS comments that they're ending on a real cliffhanger. Dyne seized on that opportunity and closed out the video in the style and HC Bailly, complete with "Have a good day!"
- Bragging Rights Reward: There's no real prize for winning often other than getting to pick a second game.
- Brick Joke: In Part 1 of Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts Dyne mentions that some of the music would fit perfectly in Breath of Fire and vice-versa. In Part 3, when he had to overlay music from the game onto the video, several Breath of Fire tracks are included.
- Catchphrase: "Let's get together and play some games," is the channel motto.
- Cluster F-Bomb: Sinisterkun unleashes one towards the UFOs in stage 7 of Manos.
- Creepy Child: Dyne voices Omachou as one in Sonic Generations.
- Early Installment Weirdness: The first GP is still hosted directly on Dyne's personal channel as it was intended to be a one-off project, and they hadn't even thought of a name until the 2nd game.
- Epic Fail:
- Dyne gets his first death in Super Mario Land, then proceeds to immediately walk off the edge of his spawn point and die again!
- Lv27MarkerMan dies against the very first enemy in Sonic the Hedgehog.
- BloodyThunderX felt this way about going into Zelda II completely blind in GP 5. So much so that, when he submitted his video for editing, the file name included, "This video is made of fail."
- Gold redefines the trope in Earthbound in GP8 by taking almost half the time trying to figure out that approaching Frank required saying "No" to the Shark blocking the door.
- During the Mega Man X3 Versus, Gold again redefines the trope by triggering the air dash boots in Blizzard Buffalo and not actually entering the capsule to get them for nearly two hours!
- Funny Background Event:
- Part 1 of Yoshi's Island in GP 5 has NintendoCapriSun asking himself, "How did you do this, past self?" when he gets stuck on a puzzle, and some text that says, "I did it by not being a dumb ass first of all!" pops up over his screen. The funny thing is NCS added that text himself before submitting the footage for editing.
- A musical version: After finishing Double Dragon II, ProtonJon continued to record even when switching over to the original NES Ninja Gaiden and the video's background music changes to the Act 1 theme from that game instead of something from Double Dragon II.
- Another musical version: During Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts Dyne comments that some of the music sounds like it could fit in very well in the original Breath of Fire and vice-versa. In Part 3, some of the songs from the Breath of Fire OST are used for the overlaid music (and indeed fit in quite well).
- Heroic BSoD: Captain Turbo had won every race of a Sonic game he had been in. Losing in Sonic '06 broke that streak and that, plus losing to basically a game over rather than not finishing the game first only hurt even more.
- Large Ham: ProtonJon's dramatic reading of the Double Dragon II opening followed by the many pro wrestler impressions by half the group.
- No Challenge Equals No Satisfaction: OppaiMan100 felt winning Sonic '06 basically by default was a hollow victory.
- No Indoor Voice: Every wrestler impression done during Double Dragon II.
- Overly Long Gag: From the EarthBound race in GP8.Gold: I wonder what Dyne's impression of Giygas would sound like.Dyne: NessNessNessNessNessNessNessNessNessNessNessNessNessNessNessNessNessNessNessNessNessNess...Dyne: NESSNESSNESSNESSNESSNESSNESSNESSNESSNESSNESSNESSNESSNESSNESSNESSNESS!
- Precision F-Strike: Dyne tells everyone to play Lufia II for many reasons. One of which being, "And the soundtrack is fucking awesome!"
- Rule of Fun: No serious competition, no overt restrictions, just gamers getting together and showcasing their favorite titles.
- Rule of Three: Inadvertent on the part of the racers, but it took three attempts to fully record the Sonic '06 race between Captain Turbo and OppaiMan100 due to technical issues.
- Running Gag: The runners of GP 5 had a "Burp counter" going during the entire recording session, both off and on camera.
- Sanity Slippage: Everyone suffers from this in Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts. Even NintendoCapriSun apologizes at the end for how much he was swearing at the game.
- Kung Fu begins with the guys singing a few notes from Tom Jones's Kung Fu Fighting.
- Dyne pulls of an impression of Master Pain/Betty during Super Castlevania IV.
- On some of the weapon names in Lufia II:
- NCS and Dyne have a field day quoting Spaceballs during Final Fantasy IV in GP 5.
- At the end of Part 2 of Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts, NCS comments that they're ending on a real Cliffhanger, inspiring Dyne to to an HC Bailly-style outro.
- The Show Must Go On:
- Depending on the editor, a race video will still go up if someone's footage was lost/corrupted since the majority of the race is still watchable and everyone's commentary is still present.
- The entire first 5th GP got scrapped, but the footage that was still available got edited into the "Lost" GP.
- Part 2 of Yoshi's Island in GP 5 had NCS forget to unmute his mic, thus leaving the final video go up without his commentary as a result.
- In Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts, Oppaiman forgot to record his commentary. Thankfully, NCS recorded his system audio for Parts 1 and 2, allowing the commentary to be preserved until Part 3.
- You Bastard!: Dyne shouts this at Mr. X during the Kung Fu race when he causes him to game over with one hit remaining.
- You Have Got to Be Kidding Me!: Dyne's Sanity Slippage during Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts causes him to shout this when, in Stage 5, he gets knocked back to the beginning of the stage and lands on the axe, one of the worst weapons in the game.