Part 4 of the Laconical List of Subtle Trope Distinctions. Items are sorted alphabetically by whichever trope is alphabetically first; if you're looking for a specific one, use the "Find" or "Search" function of your Web browser.
- You got caught in an Obvious Trap.
Secret Art vs. Signature Move:
- A move the character is well-identified with:
- Seldom-Seen Species: Bet you can't name more than one series with a bandicoot in it.
- Small Taxonomy Pools: Bet you can't name a series with a kind of dolphin other than bottlenose in it.
- A man in charge is tough with his men.
- Senseless Sacrifice: Sacrifice turns out to be in vain.
- Stupid Sacrifice: Heroic Sacrifice that wasn't the only option.
- The characters set out on an adventure, and...
A Simple Plan vs. Zany Scheme:
- The ridiculous, convoluted plan started out:
- The longer a series goes on, the more _____ the villains get.
- Charts explaining:
- What happens when the timer expires?
- Subverted Kids Show: G-rating characters, R- to X-rated show.
- What Do You Mean, It's for Kids?: Really is a kid's show, but doesn't look like it.
- What Do You Mean, It's Not for Kids?: Mistaken for a kid's show because it's in the Animation Age Ghetto.
- What Do You Mean, It's Not for Little Girls?: Could easily be a kid's show (especially aimed at girls) but is intended for adults.
- Sugar-and-Ice Personality: So, The Spock really does have emotions.
- Tin Man: Wait! Why did The McCoy just claim he has no emotions?
- The little kid who...
- Impending catastrophe is glossed over by character...
Tomboy vs. Bokukko vs. Shorttank vs. The Lad-ette:
- Tomboy: Super-Trope, girl who acts like a boy.
- It's a drill...
Trope Codifier vs. Trope Maker vs. Trope Namer vs. Ur-Example
- Trope Codifier: The example everyone else copies.
- Trope Maker: The first well-known and deliberate example.
- Trope Namer: Provides the name used here; may or may not be any of the others, or even an example of the trope.
- Ur-Example: The first example.
- A Game Show prize sucks...
- Unexpected Successor: Your dad died, now you're king until you die.
- You Are in Command Now: Your captain died, now you're filling in until the real replacement gets here.
- A database of the series:
Unwinnable vs. Unwinnable by Design vs. Unwinnable by Insanity vs. Unwinnable by Mistake vs. Unwinnable Joke Game vs. Endless Game:
- Unwinnable: It's impossible to complete the game because...
- Unwinnable by Design: ...you screwed up earlier, and didn't realize why or how until now.
- Unwinnable by Insanity: ....you went out of your way and worked harder than you needed to.
- Unwinnable by Mistake: ...the Dev Team screwed up.
- Unwinnable Joke Game: ...the fact that you can't win is the punchline.
- Endless Game: ...the game just continues forever until you die. How far can you get anyway?
- Character travels endlessly with nowhere to call home...
- A heroic character does a bad thing...
- With Friends Like These...: 'Friends' who really hate each other.
- Who Needs Enemies?: Allies with the same goal but contrasting agendas.