For those interested in playing it, Romhacking.net has a patch for it, which is meant to be applied to a ROM of the Japanese version of Pokémon Crystal (which can't be provided here due to legal reasons).
Note: Only tropes pertaining to this particular translation should be listed here. All tropes for the original game can be found on its own page.
Provides examples of:
- Accidental Innuendo: Tons. Most notably "put in" being mistranslatednote as "fuck" whenever an item is put into the player's inventory - see Extreme Omnisexual below.
- Adaptational Villainy: Possibly Jasmine. In the original games, she's one of the most compassionate and generous Johto gym leaders. Here, she seems to be involved in drug dealings. Of course, considering drugs are healing items, this might be a subversion.
- A Dog Named "Dog": Spearow is BIRD, Magikarp is CARP, Murkrow is CROW, and Remoraid is FISH.
- And Now For Something Completely Different: Route 40 and 41 are called "<number> TUNNEL" rather than "R<number>". They're sea routes.
- A God Am I: Your rival implies this in some things he says.
Silver: I AM A MONSTER COACH, THE FIRST MANKIND ALL OVER THE WORLD.
- Ambiguous Gender: Bill, apparently.
Bill's Grandfather: SHE IS MY GRANDSON.
- Angrish: Many NPCs when you defeat them, including a bizarre version by Whitney:
Whitney: YY? ? Y-?!! ??X? ??X?!! ??C???X??!! ?? ??? ??????
- Artistic License Physics: You should be able to see your back while trying to run from Trainer battle. You can't.
- Attack Its Weak Point: Every Pokémon's weak point is its key... whatever that is. ("Hit the key part!" derives from the Japanese text for a critical hit, "Hit a pressure point!")
- "Awesome McCool" Name: Red is referred to as a sorcerer when battled.
- Kurt's name is apparently "Steel Mankind".
- Team Rocket is referred to as "Team Missile Bomb".
- Badass Boast: Your rival gives several, but most notably the one in Azalea Town:
Silver: I AM VERY DISGUSTED WITH THE TRASHY MAN. IN SPITE OF THE MONSTER, AND THE COACH, ONLY TRASHY, I WILL BEAT DOWN THEM ALL. FOR THIS I MUST STRENGTHEN MYSELF. THE MONSTER IS THE SAME TOO. COLLECT ALL THE TRASHY, RIGHTEOUS FELLOW ALL ARE UNPARDONABLE! YOU DON'T AFFECT ME. THE TRASHY STROLLING IS AN EYESORE!
- An NPC in the Sprout Tower has a pretty cool one before battling you:
TRAINED ON THE ROAD OF ULTIMATE
- A Bell Tower Sage says this:
TEST HIM IN THE TOWER AS THE HEASY ELF, THERE COMES THE WATER ARMY.
- An NPC in the Sprout Tower has a pretty cool one before battling you:
- Bad Boss: Whenever you switch out Pokémon during a battle, the Pokémon trainer you play as will send the current Pokémon to a pillory rather than return it to its Poké Ball.
- Because God Says So: After you defeat Team Rocket at Radio Tower, the Executive will say that he lost because it's the will of "SHAKAJI GOD".
- Battle in the Rain: While the actual games have it with the rain weather, here using NOONLI makes "RAIN ENDLES".
- Bilingual Bonus: The Gentleman who is looking for his granddaughter on the S.S. Aqua says she's a lassock. It's a Scottish word for a little girl, which is fitting.
- Bi the Way: Silver falls in love with the player character whether they're male or female.
- Blatant Lies: After you beat him, Bruno says "YOU ARE DEFEATED BY ME."
- "Blind Idiot" Translation: Up to Eleven! You just have no idea how wrong the translation goes.
- Bold Inflation: All of the game's text is written in capital letters.
- Buffy Speak: This happens every once in a while.
- "WHO IS IT TO THE END? WHY TO MAKE THE THING?"
- "THIS WAS THE THING ABOUT THREE YEARS AGO. THE MISSLE BOMB MADE USE OF MONSTERS TO DO EVILS."
- Team Rocket radio broadcast (!'"?WX???)
?W-?WE! BOYSnote ARE CALM CREATE TISSUE RESULT OF EFFOR ROCKT HERE RELIVED!! SHAKAQI HEAD IS THIRSTY! WHERE IS BOSS ? LISTN RADIO
- Call a Rabbit a "Smeerp": Found throughout the entire game. "Pokémon" and "trainer" are translated to "ELF" (because the Chinese term for Pokémon, 小精靈, translates to "elf") and "COACH", for example.
- Calling Your Attacks
- Exaggerated on an occasion in the YC Citynote eatery. One person is enjoying his meal in an extremely heroic manner, calling his actions:
- It went Up to Eleven with another person in the said eatery, who is so eager he calls his actions with a mouthful of food:
CLOSE THE MOUTH TO CHAW!
- Exaggerated on an occasion in the YC Citynote eatery. One person is enjoying his meal in an extremely heroic manner, calling his actions:
- Captain Obvious
- A lesson in the Violet City Trainer School: "DON'T ATTACK WHILE SLEEPING."
- "THE BURNT TOWER WAS BURNT OFF BY FIRE."
- "DON'T DO STUPID THING."
- "THE CAVE IS NOT TERRIBLE IF IT IS BRIGHT ELF IS NOT TERRIBLE, IF IT IS STRONG"
- When losing, you get "THOUGH <player> HARD, THE POCKET MONSTER ISN'T IN HERE! <player> SCENE OF BLANK AT PRESENT"
- "I SWIM WELL"
- Cast from Money: Parodied and inverted at the same time, the move Pay Day casts papers (aka coins).
- Cloudcuckooland: This version of Johto is probably the most bizarre due to the Translation Train Wreck.
- Combat Sadomasochist: The picnickers apparently. With lines like 'PLEASE ACT AS MY TRAINING" and "WHERE DOES THE PAIN RELEASE".
- Cool Bike: The bike can apparently slide around everywhere and walk on all kinds of roads. Somehow.
- Cue Card Pause/Verbal Backspace:
Rival: I... I AM A MONSTER(next page)Rival: COACH
- Damned by Faint Praise: Bugsy does this to himself: "I'M NOT DEFEATED BY EVERYONE"
- From one of the trainers in the fighting gym: "OUR FIGHTERS ARE NOT TERRIBLE!"
- Death Glare: Silver, according to Team Rocket Grunt
THE LAST TASK WHEN THE MONSTER WAS STEALING IT IS CHEATED BY A CHILD WITH LONG AND RED HAIRS HIS SIGHT POISONOUS
- Demonic Possession: The guy who blocks you from progressing to Route 32 until you beat Falkner might be possessed by a ghost, or something like that.
YES!! THE GHOST SPPIRIT COMES!!
- Department of Redundancy Department
- TO LET THE MONSTER BECOMES STRONGER, THE COACH MUST BE STRONGER. IF ONLY SO, THE MONSTER MUST BE STRONGER.
- YOU REALLY BECOME STRONGER. YOU REALLY BECOME STRONGER.
- GIRL SAYS: WHAT? DON'T IMITATE OTHERS? BUT IT'S MY INTEREST TO IMITATE OTHERS!
- WITH "HANDY CARD", THE MONSTER GEARING WILL BE HANDY MORE!
- YUANZHUnote DANCE HALL IS CALLED "SONG AND DANCE HALL"note
- LISTEN TO THE RADIO ANYWHERE. LISTEN TO THE RADIO ANYWHERE
- THE BURNT TOWER WAS BURNT OFF BY FIRE
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: Due to quality of the translation, it has quite a few of them.
- Elf Grandfather (Mr. Pokémon) found something spreaded greatly (Egg).
- A NPC on the ground floor of Goldenrod Radio Tower say these things (originally he praised a radio DJ):
Guy: I LIKE THAT GULUMEInote WHO MAKES A LECTURE ABOUT MONSTERS I ONLY HEARD OF HER SOUNDS.
- Whitney's crying got mutated into... this.
Whitney: OH!OH! DRAW IT! PUT IT DOWN IT IS EXCESSIVELY TOO!!
- Professor Oak pulls one out of nowhere once you defeat Lance.
Oak: IT'S FOR YOUR TRUST AND LOVE TO THE MONSTER, SO YOU CAN GRAPPLE NOW THE RESULT IS THE FRUIT. AND ONLY TO DO SO, YOU CAN BE THERE. <player>, CONGRATULATIONS!
- Double Entendre: Happens quite a bit.
- Pichu's Podédex entry:
?IT WILL DISCHARGE WHEN IS STIMULATED.
- In one of Silver's rants:
ONE DAY I WILL LET YOU KNOW I'M THE STRONGEST COACH, THE FELLOWS WILL CONSORT WITH ME. LISTEN, ONE DAY I WILL BEAT YOU DOWN, AND LET YOU KNOW MY STRENGTH.
- A Route 35 trainer says this:
GOOD! SHOW HER THE GOODS!
- Lance seems to be fond of "grappling."
THE CHAMPION OF THE LEAGUE, DU, COMES NOW, PREPARE TO GRAPPLE.
- In the lighthouse, Jasmine is looking after a "dying" Pokémon. If you talk to the Pokémon, it says this:
XIAODENG...... IS HARD TO BLOW
- Sabrina has this in everything she says before you battle her. And then some.
XIAMU SAYS: YOU COME FINALLY YOU MUST COME, THE FEELING EXISTED THREE YEARS AGO YOUR AIM IS TO WANT MY BADGE I DON'T LIKE FRIGHTING, IT IS MY FIRST TASK TO PASSES THE BADGE TO A FIT MAN IF YOU WANT, TRY MY SPECIAL FUNCTION!XIA: THE INTENSITY IS BEYOND BELIVING
- Pichu's Podédex entry:
- Drugs Are Good: "Drugs" (aka Potions) heal a Pokémon's lost hit points.
- Dub Name Change: All Pokémon have strange names derived from a bad translation from Japanese. Very few make any sense at all. All the settlements, places, and people in the game have also been renamed.
- Edible Theme Naming: Some Pokémon are named after food items, among other things. Sandslash is named Bread, Venonat is called Corn, Raichu is called Rye, Miltank is called Milk, and Flaaffy is called Pea.
- Eye Scream: Apparently, Radio Tower in Goldenrod city is watched by a man with "black eye socket"
- Epic Fail: This pretty much sums up whole game's dialogue. "CAN'T DO!"
- A Trainer at Clair's Gym says "YES, NOT GOOD AT USING DRAGON IS THE SKILL OF THE DRAGON TYPE".
- Even Evil Has Standards: Team Missile Bomb (Rocket) may have taken over the radio tower, but at least they don't serve the devil!
- Even the Guys Want Him: If you choose to make your character male, he will frequently get hit on by other male characters, even your rival.
- Evil Is Hammy: Since the Vietnamese Crystal universe is a World of Ham, just about every opponent you face will be pretty hammy. Special mention goes to Silver, with his endless hatred of the "trashy man" and his habit of chasing you down to battle you only to randomly express his love for you right in the middle of a bizarre "The Reason You Suck" Speech.
- Evil Will Fail: In the words of a man in the Violet Pokémon Center:
"TEAM MISSILE BOMB MADE USE OF MONSTERS TO DO EVILS, BUT HE WHO IS UNJUST IS DOOMED TO DESTRUCTION."
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin
- In a rare case of the translation halfway making sense, Totodile is called "Water Elf Little Crocodile", or simply "CROC".
- Sand-Attack is SAND.
- Extreme Omnisexual: The player, for some strange reason, will fuck an item when they get one. This is apparently due to the fact that the Chinese character for "put in" can also mean "fuck". The intended meaning is simply the perfectly sensible "put the item into the bag."
[PLAYER]!DRUG BAG FUCK
- Extreme Omnivore: According to a person in Cherrygrove, a worm eats poison.
- Foregone Conclusion: According to someone in Violet City, Team Rocket will always lose.
BUT HE WHO IS UNJUST IS DOOMED TO DESTRUCTION
- Game-Breaking Bug
- Using certain items, moves, or going to the Goldenrod Pokémon Center may crash the game, or worse, corrupt the in-game save file.
- Encountering certain trainers or Pokémon can also crash the game.
- Mahogany Gym is known to freeze often since the trainers mainly field Seel and Dewgong that know Rest, one of the moves that crashes the game.
- Gameplay and Story Segregation: According to the Radio Tower director, you can control all Pokémon's requests due to some electromagnetic waves.
- Good Bad Translation: All over the place.
- Good Colors, Evil Colors: Team Rocket/Missile Bomb apparently also calls themselves "BLACK-SOCIETY".
- Gratuitous Chinese: Sometimes NPCs will begin their dialogue with "WEI!" "Wei" is an informal Chinese greeting approximately equivalent to "Hi!", "Hello!", or "Hey!" in English. This is likely an artifact from this bootleg game version having gone through translations from Japanese, to Chinese, to "English."
- Heads I Win, Tails You Lose: Parodied by NPCs and the game overall since every time you defeat a Trainer, it says "<Trainer class>'<Trainer name> WIN".
AL THOUGH THE GAME IS LOST! MY MONSTERnote IS MORE LOVELY THAN OTHERS, SO I DON'T LOSE!
- Hollywood Satanism: There's an old woman who tells the player "DON'T SERVE THE DEVIL."
- Homage: A DeviantArt user is making an "illustrated handbook"note of Pokémon from all six generations in the style of the game (drawn in a bootleg-like Stylistic Suck format), complete with names. Along with other people's requested Fakémon (which, sadly, aren't renamed) and fake Mega Evolutions too.
- I Am a Monster: Your rival appears to be saying this at first, but turns out to be saying something else.
I AM...I AM A MONSTER
- I Have Many Names
- Sprout Tower has been called the Madapo Tower, Baiming Tower, BM Tower, and Madasimumi Tower.
- The Mystery Egg, translated as Odd Egg, has been called Magical Egg at one point.
- SquirtBottle, aka POLE, has been also called a Tortoise Pot.
- Suicune has been named SHUIJUN and A'EN, and the "Handbook" calls him DON.
- Kurt is STEEL MANKIND, also known as Gangtie.
- Eusine has been called NAJI, MEINAJI, MEINAIMU and SNAU.
- Morty is SONGJIAO and SLEA.
- Lance is DU, WANGDALU.
- Apparently Oujide and Wusiji are the same person.
- Pokémon names are also inconsistent, partly due to character limits but partly for obvious reasons. Pikachu is called PIKAQ in the Dex and PIKAQIU in dialogue, similarly to Gyarados with JINDE in the Dex and JINDE FISH in dialogue, and Farfetch'd with AOCO as its Dex name and OUCONG as its dialogue name.
- I Have You Now, My Pretty: The first grunt you encounter in Slowpoke Well comes off as kind of rapey.
Rocket Grunt: I WANT TO PLAY WITH YOU FOR RELAXING
- Insistent Terminology: Professor Oak apparently wants his title to be "ELF MONSTER" instead of Pokémon Professor.
- The female grunt in Rocket HQ says the two passwords are meaningless without the other. While the other password is normal (CAMEL'S TAIL), hers is "YADO AND XIBO".
- The best fishing rod in the game is called "BAD ROD", and some moves do the exact opposite of what their name indicates. For example, Dragon Rage is called "PEACE", Night Shade is called "FLASH", and Water Gun is called "FLAME".
- Many of the antidotes to status conditions claim to "RENEW" the negative status.
- When you boot up the PC, it says you "PULL THE POWER SUPPLY OUT".
- I Shall Taunt You: A Rocket Grunt says something along these lines.
Rocket Gruntnote : I WILL BE RUDE TO YOU IF YOU DISTURB OUR WORK.Goldenrod Gym's Beauty: IF YOU ARE NOT CAREFUL, I WILL NOT BE POLITE TO YOU!
- Insane Troll Logic: According to a female Grunt at the Radio Tower, if her Pokémon isn't lovely, defeating your Pokémon will make it lovely.
- Item Get!: "SPEEBAL FIND!" "FRUIT GET!" All acquired objects are announced with something along the lines of this.
- Killer Rabbit: Apparently, Ditto of all things, according to its Pokédex entry.
?WHEN MET, IT WILL ACT MORE VIOLENTLY.
- Large Ham: Silver, especially with all of his vehement, barely comprehensible rants to the player.
- Large Ham Title
- Pryce says that he and his monsters are known as "WINTRY POPLAR AND WILLOW."
- Professor Oak wants everyone to call him ELF MONSTER, and Silver brags that he is THE FIRST MANKIND ALL OVER THE WORLD.
- Living a Double Life: Apparently, Oak and Elm are the same person.
- Makes Just as Much Sense in Context: Seeing all of the these bizarre quotes on this page in-game will likely only make the Mind Screw worse.
- Magitek: Seems to be a thing in this world, considering that using your Pokégear requires you to "select the Holy Figure" and the Power Plant seems to be running on jade stones.
- Meaningless Meaningful Words: The rare pieces of dialogue that are comprehensible in this game can be downright poetic... but do the quasi-philosophical ones really convey anything? The Purple Prose we see in this game is most likely unintentional, instead having been an accident of garbled attempted translations.
Falkner: THEY [bird Pokémon] WERE FLUTTERING IN THE SKY, MAKING THE SKY MAGNIFICENT. I LET THE WORLDLY PEOPLE UNDERSTAND THEIR GRANDNESS!
Route Toll Attendant: WHO IS IT TO THE END? WHY TO MAKE THE THING?
Olivine City Citizen: THE SEA IS VERY GOOD. THE SETTING SUN IS BEAUTIFUL! THE SEA IS WIDE. VERY...VERY WIDE!
Route 14 NPC: THE COMBITION OF GOLD TURTOISE, MAN SHADOW, AND UNTHINKABLE KIND IS SURELY BALANCED.
Route 3 Trainer: I AM THE SON OF WIND, THE CHILD OF SPIRIT.
Cherrygrove Old Man: YES, NO MATTER, EVERYONE HAS ITS BEGINNING, MAYBE I TEACH YOU.
Farfetch'd Guy's Assistant: HOW TO DO? THE BOSS IS AFRAID!CHOP OFF THE TREE WHICH CAN CHANGE INTO CHAR. GET LOST, ONE IS IN THE DARK AND CLEAR FOREST BE AFRAID OF WALKING
Eusine: ISN'T IT SHUIJUNnote JUST? I SAW A BIT. AS IF I FEEL HE RUNS ON THE SEA. HE IS BEAUTIFUL, STATELY AND CAN PASS THROUGH THE CITY QUICKLY HE IS AMAZING. I WANT TO SEE HIM CLOSELY GOOD I WILL CHALLENGE HIM, LET HIM TO ADMIT ME. NOW START TO FIGHT AT ONCE <player>!
- Mind over Matter: Apparently how Pokémon move boulders using Strength. More specifically, they use the Force.
- Mind Screw: The feeling only gets stronger the longer one watches.
- Minion with an F in Evil:
Rocket Grunt: I WILL BE RUDE TO YOU IF YOU DISTURB OUR WORK.
- Mystery Meat: Just what is Volcano Bakemeat, anyway!?note
- My Species Is ????: Spinarak.
- Name's the Same
- There are four "groups" of Trainer classes that share the class name (or in the case of second, lack of thereof): Youngsters, Pokémaniacs, Scientists, Boarders; female Pokéfan, Medium, Super Nerds, male Executives and male Cooltrainers; Fishers, female Executive, and Eusine; male Rocket Grunts and Gentlemen.
- Mean Look and Miltank are both MILK.
- Jugglers and Qwilfish are both called BOAT.
- Nightmare Fetishist: Karen is also a little bit too proud of her love for "evil monsters".
- No Fair Cheating: In-Universe.
THE CHEATING WAS DISCOVERED AND THEN EXPELED
- No Indoor Voice: Since everything's in capital letters, all of the NPCs seem to be shouting whatever random, barely comprehensible thing that they're saying.
- Non-Indicative Name
- Usually, items and moves are named such that they do the opposite of what you'd expect them to. For instance, Water Gun is named "FLAME", Rock Throw is called "VOLT", and Night Shade is named "FLASH".
- Many of the especially nonsensical translations seemingly happened because they mixed up a lot of the names and descriptions. For example, there's a move called "EG-BOMB" but it isn't Egg Bomb, it's Sludge (Egg Bomb is WFING). Cross Chop is SUNRIS, which is likely meant refer to Morning Sun; Morning Sun is TASTE, which is probably meant to be Lick; Lick is AGAIN, which could be any multi-hit move. There's a move called AURORA, but it's not Aurora Beam - it's Drill Peck. Tackle is called PRIZE, which is likely the name they intended to use for Present. GOODROD is Max Ether, and 21 completely random items are all called POLE. One of the POLEs is the Good Rod... but Old Rod is CLOTHBAG and Super Rod is BAD ROD.
- Mindbogglingly, certain Pokémon are renamed after foods, despite having no relation to the namesake food at all. Venonat is "CORN" and Sandslash is "BREAD", for example.
- No Punctuation Period: This happens quite a bit. Most of the time, it only enhances the comedy value.
- One Steve Limit: Averted with several Pokémon, and even some items. For example, there are a grand total of eighteen different items that are called "POLE" (and only one of them could be considered a pole).
- Jigglypuff and Aerodactyl are both named "PUD".
- Machamp and Dragonite are both named "GUAIL".
- Bellossom and Venusaur are both named "FLOWE"
- Grimer and Muk are both named "BADEB".
- Graveler, Kangaskhan, and Golbat are all called "GELU".
- Worst of all, not only are both the male and female forms of Nidoran referred to as "LIDEL", but Nidorina and Nidorino... are also called "LIDEL".
- Our Elves Are Better: Pokémon are sometimes referred to as "ELFS".
- Path of Inspiration: "ROAD OF ULTIMATE" could be considered this.
- Paranoia Fuel: "WHILE WALKING IN JUNGLE MANY WORM WILL FOLLOW YOU"
- Perfectly Cromulent Word: Sometimes words in dialogue slur together into one monster word.note For example, "NOT" + "HARMONIOUS" = "NOTHARMONIOUS".
- The Pigpen: Silver has a particular hatred for THE TRASHY MAN and all who are TRASHY, perhaps meaning that he is actively defying this trope.
- Pitiful Worms: Silver sometimes calls the player character a "WEAK WORM."
- Pluralses: This happens on occasion due to the Translation Train Wreck nature of the game and its many misspellings. Many of these likely stem from the fact that nouns are both singular and plural in Japanese, and they sometimes are in Chinese as well. The most common mistake is referring to plural Pokémon as ELFS.
- "THE MONKS IS PRACTICING BUDDHISM."
- "THE MISSLE BOMB MADE USE OF MONSTERS TO DO EVILS."
- Poke the Poodle: One Rocket Grunt threatens to be rude to the player character if his work is disturbed.
- Pokémon Speak: Mostly averted, the Pokémon do not say their species names (translated or otherwise). However, one Pidgey is Violet City named Little Strawberry says "LITTLE STRAWBERRY ME BABY".
- Pūnct'uatìon Sh'akër
- Some words have apostrophes in the middle in merging the possessive and the following word. For example, "en'slap" and "Jmlite'swla".
- Some of the names of enemy trainers even contain numbers and various symbols. For example, one trainer is named ROCKET'S-%"4 (and it's not a member of Team Rocket).
- Purely Aesthetic Gender: If you choose your player character to be female, people will often still refer to you as male. For example, "LOST TO THE GUY WHO IS PASSWAY," and "FIND THE INBREAKING MAN!"
- Rouge Angles of Satin: There are a lot of typos. It's hard to tell exactly how many there are, however, given the frequently nonsensical nature of the translation.
- Scary Amoral Religion: Apparently Buddhism, because the monks and Pokémon in Sprout Tower that attack you come there to practice the religion.
- Sesquipedalian Loquaciousness: Often times the dialogue is riddled with large words that are rarely heard in normal spoken English. Some examples include diathesis, cortege, pillory, curator, secre, and tache. Of course, quite a few of these rare words are found completely out of context.
- Shaped Like Itself: To an extent. When a Pokémon is poisoned, it says "<Pokémon> TO BE POISONING"
- Shoo the Dog: Whenever a battle is started, the opponent is told to GO AWAY.
- Intentional or not, some lines of dialogue reference the memes, such as Sabrina saying "The Gole-Badges Are All Belong To You".
- Another unintentional one, but at the beginning of the game, it asks you if you are a BOY or a GIR. This game probably would have been made around the time that Invader Zim was popular, too.
- Stalker with a Crush: Some of Silver's awkward lines to the player can be reminiscent of this.
Silver: (when meeting you in the Burnt Tower) "I HEARD YOU WERE SLEEPING THERE."Silver: (after following you in the Team Rocket HQ) "YES, OUR LOVE MUST BECOME STRENGTH."
- Start X to Stop X: You must pull the power supply out to turn on the computer.
- Stock Punishment: Sometimes when switching out Pokémon, the game will say "(Pokémon) HAVE A PILLORY." A pillory is pretty much the same things as stocks, implying that this might be happening to them. But it's this game, so who knows?
- Super Hero Origin: Farfetch'd's Crazy Awesome Pokédex entry.
?TO PROTECT PENGUIN MACHINE MERGED THE TRAINING MAN.
- Suspiciously Specific Denial: WE WILL NOT DESTROY THE TOWER EVEN IF WE ARE CRAZY
- Talkative Loon: These are quite common in this horribly translated universe.
- Techno Babble: The Illustrated Handbook uses "spiry technique". Which, if interpreted as "a technique in the manner of a spiral", may mean the Illustrated Handbook is just a spiral-bound notebook.
- The Unpronounceable: Many random trainers have names that are a mishmash of random letters, symbols and numbers.
- This Is Unforgivable!: Silver apparently thinks that being trashy is "unpardonable" and vows to beat down anyone he thinks is trashy.
- Two Beings, One Body: According to a guy at top of the Bell Tower, a person from legends who could speak with the Pokémon merged with one.
- Translation Train Wreck: Obviously.
- Somewhat subverted with Morty, where he actually hands out Shadow Ball TM. Double subverted, as the actual attack is still mistranslated.
- Tsundere: Silver. Each of the player's encounters with him involves him berating the player, calling them things like "TRASHY" and "WEAK WORM", all while promising to beat them down. However, he also has a tendency to follow the player around and abruptly declare his love for them during his rants.
Silver: GET ANGRY AS SOON AS THINKING THIS, YES, OUR LOVE MUST BECOME STRENGTH.Silver: I TAKE A FANCY TO THE STRONG WINNER.
- Tutorial Failure
"YOU ARE NEW COACH? YES, NO MATTER, EVERYONE HAS ITS BEGINNING. MAYBE I TEACH YOU? WELL, I INTRODUCE TO YOU EXACTLY. THERE, THE MONSTER CENTER! IF YOU KEEP INJURED MONSTERS THERE THEY WILL GET BACK AT ONCE, IN THE FUTURE YOU OFTEN GAIN ITS HELP, SO BETTER TO KNOW DISTINCTLY. THIS IS THE 'FRIEND'S STORE.' SORTS OF GOODS TO SELL, FOR EXAMPLE, THE BASIN TO GRASP MONSTERS, ETC. THE FRONT IS WANDAOLU. EVERYONE'S PRIDINGMONSTERS PLAY GAMES THERE. THIS IS THE SEA, THE MONSTER THERE ONLY LIVES IN WATER. THIS IS MY HOME, THANK YOUR FOR CHATTING WITH ME, THIS FOR YOU." "(player) GET MAP." "YOU CAN SEE THE MAP WITH THE GEARING OF (player). WITH 'HANDY CARD,' THE MONSTER GEARING WILL BE HANDY MORE!"
- When your mother tries to explain how to use the phone, she advises you to "INSERT THE PIN OF XIUCI, SELECT THE HOLY FIGURE, OK?"
- A man gives you one of these in Jycity/Jieye City.
- Unfortunate Names
- The Gentleman and male Rocket Grunts' classes got translated as SEEDPLAYE.note
- Many of the Pokémon trainers have downright bizarre names with random letter and symbols in them, such as TRIBE'S&"2% , Y'S/U%3 , and GITAR'SXIA.
- In the Pokédex, Scyther is labeled as the "Cock Pokémon".
- Sprout Tower is sometimes referred to as BM Tower note .
- Unusually Uninteresting Sight: Subverted with Sudowoodo. It's apparently a dancing tree, and it's interesting to someone.
- Violation of Common Sense:
- The take command is translated as KEEP.
- A guy near Violet City expects a Pokémon from Dark Cave to challenge Falkner.
- "DON'T TEACH IT STRONGER STUNT, IT COULDN'T WIN."
- The description for some items says that you will renew a status ailment. For example, an antidote will RENEW POISONING.
- Reflect makes attacking stronger.
- When you find an Antidote. "<player>! ANTI FIND!"
- Visible Silence: Averted with one girl in Fuchsia City's Pokémon Center who has nothing in her dialogue box.
- Weather Control Town: Apparently, the wind starts to blow from Ruoye Town (New Bark)
- Wave Motion Gun: WA-GUNnote appears to be this.
- Weird Science: Falkner's wording may believe you to think inside of the TMs is made of mud. He's referring to the TM he gave, but it may take a while to figure out that.
- What the Hell Are You?: Upon defeating one of the first few Rocket Grunts at the radio tower:
Rocket Grunt: WHAT ARE YOU!?
- Who Writes This Crap?!: Within the midst of one of his convoluted, hammy rants, Silver mentions how he doesn't like his actor's lines.
- Widget Series: Unintentionally, due to the horrible translations everywhere.
- Wise Beyond Their Years: The gym guide seems to imply this about Bugsy.
Gym guide: HELLO, CHALLENGER. THOUGH ZHAOZHI IS YOUNG, ITS KNOWLEDGE ABOUT WORM ELF COULDN'T BE FEWER THAN THE YOUTH, NO DIRECTION IS SAD?
- Word-Salad Humor: The bizarre nature of the translation causes this sometimes. One Pidgey says "LITTLE STRAWBERRY ME BABY".
- Word Salad Philosophy: Many of the longer pieces of dialogue come across as this, especially if they're supposed to convey key aspects of the plot and/or Pokémon world philosophy.
- World of Ham: Everyone in the game speaks in hilariously broken English that stands out to say the least.
- You No Take Candle: Pokémon Vietnamese Crystal breathes this trope.
WHAT DON'T STARE ME ALWAYS!