The game centers on Senpai, a male senior at Deredere High School in search of his One True Love. He has to choose between twelve girls, each one with their own unique traits and interests.
Despite it being released during the PlayStation's heyday, it failed to become a series due to low sales.
Hating Simulator provides examples of:
- All There in the Manual: Senpai's backstory and interests can be found in the game's instruction manual.
- Barely Changed Dub Name: All of the students and faculty had their names changed in the English dub to sound similar to the original Japanese version. For example, Senpai is named "Samuel"note , and Aiko and Nozomi are named "Amber" and "Natalie", respectively. Most fans still use the Japanese names, mostly due to the rarity of the English version of the game.
- Boyish Short Hair: Nozomi has short, jet black hair and is the president of the Sports Club.
- Curtains Match the Window: Aiko, who has brown hair and brown eyes, and Nozomi, who has black hair and black eyes.
- Flat Character: Everyone other than Senpai, the girls he is dating, and his homeroom teacher.
- Flower Motif: Senpai and each of the girls he is dating have a favorite flower that matches their personality. For example, Senpais favorite flowers are roses, Aikos are sunflowers, and Nozomis are tulips. This is important later on when Senpai has to give the girl he has spent the most time with a bouquet of flowers.
- Genki Girl: Aiko is energetic and one of the friendliest girls in the roster.
- Genre Deconstruction: And how. The game was surprisingly meta for a dating sim, frequently lampshading aspects in Tokimeki Memorial, including the shallow nature of the game's protagonist, Naoto Takami, who is able to effortlessly win over the hearts of the girls around him.
- Keep Circulating the Tapes: Good luck finding a copy of the English release of the game.
- Localized Name in a Non-Localized Setting: In the American English version of the game, the school is named "Heartache High", despite it still being a Japanese high school.
- No Export for You: The game was only released in Japan and the United States.
- Older Than He Looks: Senpai is 18, but he looks no older than a high-school freshman.
- Only Known By His Nickname: The protagonist is just called "Senpai" by his fellow students.
- Sailor Fuku: All of the girls at Deredere High wear blue sailor-caped school uniforms.
- Scrappy Mechanic: Many felt that the "round robin" style of dating was what led to the poor sales of the game.
- Spiritual Successor: Of Tokimeki Memorial, down to the similar premise.
- Tomboy with a Girly Streak: Nozomi is an athlete and has typically boyish interests, but she also has a secret stuffed animal collection.
- Urban Legend of Zelda: There are three prominent rumors that show up in the fanbase. Whether or not all three are connected to each other is a subject of intense debate.
- Some fans reported sightings of a short auburn-haired character in a red dress known only as "Girlfriend" who Senpai must woo over near the front of the school. However, he must beat her blue-haired boyfriend in a rap battle a la PaRappa the Rapper in order to do so. You are unable to win the match, causing Senpai to fly into a rage... in front of the other girls he is currently dating, instantly triggering a Game Over.
- Certain copies of the game would glitch at random and show bizarre visuals, including a red, spirit-like entity, and pictures of the principal changing to that of a man with purple skin, gray hair, and red glowing eyes.
- Connected to the above, the last cutscene after the credits showed the same red spirit swearing revenge against an unknown individual by dragging players inside the game and taking over their bodies. After the cutscene played, the game would crash, rendering it virtually unplayable.
- What Could Have Been: There were plans to make a sequel with a new protagonist and new love interests, but those were shelved after the poor sales of the first game.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Surprisingly averted. All of the girls Senpai has to choose from have normal hair colors.