Sorting Hat Chats Database
"Two friends wanted to know exactly what the other meant when they said 'Gryffindor'. Over hours of conversation, the Sorting Hat Chats system emerged and has delighted them ever since."
See here for much more information of this Harry Potter Hogwarts House sorting system of Inky and Kat's creation.
Main terms in a nutshell
- Primaries are the MOTIVES. WHY does one do things?
- Gryffindor Primary (Lion Prime, GP): Moral intuition (they decide what's righteous with their heart)
- Hufflepuff Primary (Badger Prime, HP): Sense of community (they wish to improve the lives of all who they regard as "people")
- Ravenclaw Primary (Bird Prime, RP): Systems of values (they build their logic from the outside world)
- Slytherin Primary (Snake Prime, SP): Individualist allegiances (they prioritize the "family" of people they are closest to)
- Secondaries are the METHODS. HOW does one do things?
- A model is a way of life that has been learned by someone and can be comfortably used, but isn't central to the extent of true primaries and secondaries.
- A performance is one's ability to convincingly look like a different primary and/or secondary.
- Burning is when someone is unable to use their primary or secondary.
- Exploding is when someone takes a primary or secondary to an unhealthy extent.
- Contrary to the names, secondaries are no less important than primaries; they are just different aspects of a person.
- No primary or secondary is inherently better or worse than others. Any of them can be very healthy or very unhealthy, and any of them can be used for immense good or immense evil.
- A true primary or secondary is which motives or methods one values their own use of the most. For example, someone who is hardworking and fair could be putting up a model and/or performance, and thus isn't necessarily a Badger Secondary. However, someone who genuinely values Badger Second qualities, whether or not they can use said qualities well, is likely a Badger Second.
- The basic Primary and Secondary houses are summarized starting places used as a basis for further exploration. Each House has its own vast range of possibilities outside the traditional stereotypes. Not all Gryffindors are loudly emotional, not all Hufflepuffs are kind or caring, not all Ravenclaws are logical intellectuals, and not all Slytherins are ungenerous or manipulative.
- Idealist vs Loyalist: Lion and Bird Primes focus on concepts of what is right, while Badger and Snake Primes are heavily people-driven.
- Constructed vs Felt: Bird and Snake Primes prioritize systems of motivations, while Lion and Badger Primes are much more in touch with their gut feelings.
- Internal vs External: Lion and Snake Primes derive their morals from within themselves, while Badger and Bird Primes derive them from external circumstances.
- Solid vs Fluid: Lion and Bird Seconds are relatively static and stable in their abilities, while Badger and Snake Seconds are often more flexible in how they act to reach their goals.
- Situational vs Inspirational: Bird and Snake Seconds succeed heavily in solving problems and predicaments, while Lion and Badger Seconds more commonly utilize their own force of will and those of others.
- Improvisers vs Builders: Lion and Snake Seconds jump into the middle of adversary and react on the fly, while Badger and Bird Seconds utilize whatever they have already brought with them.
In other words...
- Lion Primes FEEL their IDEALS from the INSIDE.
- Badger Primes FEEL their LOYALTIES from the OUTSIDE.
- Bird Primes CONSTRUCT their IDEALS from the OUTSIDE.
- Snake Primes CONSTRUCT their LOYALTIES from the INSIDE.
- Lion Seconds INSPIRE by IMPROVISING in SOLID ways.
- Badger Seconds INSPIRE by BUILDING in FLUID ways.
- Bird Seconds SITUATE by BUILDING in SOLID ways.
- Snake Seconds SITUATE by IMPROVISING in FLUID ways.
- Some ground rules:
- If you change an example that someone else posted, please show your reasoning in the Discussion thread to avoid Edit Wars.
- If you sort a character somewhere that others would find odd, add as much additional justification in a note next to the name as needed.
- If a character uses at least one model and/or performance that overshadows their true house combo, sort the character with the primary and secondary they truly value.
- Sort examples for each combo by work name's alphabetical order except for Harry Potter canon, which always goes first.
- List any sources other than your own brain at the bottom of the folder.
- Just like DnD alignments, examples of Sorting Hat Chats house combos are rather subjective. Please avoid Entry Pimping them outside any future works where this system is canonical.
- Mark ALL major spoilers, except true house combos.
- Lighter spoilers and all true house combo locations are unmarked. You Have Been Warned.
- Double Lion: Ron Weasleynote , Flonne, Saberspoiler! , Kel, Glimmer, Garnet
- Lion Badger: Neville Longbottomspoiler! , Peter Pettigrewnote , Tsukasa Hiiraginote
- Lion Bird: Hermione Granger, Lord Voldemortspoiler! , Sybill Trelawney, Arthur Weasley, Percy Weasley, Bow, Connie Maheswaran
- Lion Snake: Fred Weasleynote , Toph Beifong, James Kirknote
- Badger Lion: Katara, Zukonote , Rin Tohsakanote , Adora/She-Ra, Leonard McCoy, Spocknote , Obi-Wan Kenobinote , Steven Quartz UniverseFuture spoiler! , Amethyst, Undynenote
- Double Badger: Draco Malfoynote , Rubeus Hagrid, Cornelius Fudgespoiler! , Shirou Emiyanote , Archerspoiler! , Shizune Hakamichinote , Herospoiler! , Rose Quartz, Papyrus
- Badger Bird: Vernon Dursleynote , Penny Haywood
- Badger Snake: Sayori, Wander
- Bird Lion: Harry Potternote , Ozainote
- Bird Badger: Luna Lovegood, Dudley Dursleynote , Charlie Weasley
- Double Bird: Sokka, Miyuki Takara, Entrapta, Pearlspoiler! , Sans
- Bird Snake: Zouken Matou, Konata Izumi, Scottynote
- Snake Lion: Sirius Black, Ginny Weasley, Molly Weasleynote , Sakura Matounote , Emi Ibarazakispoiler! , Aubrey, Catranote , Anakin Skywalker, Han Solo
- Snake Badger: Horace Slughorn, Monikaspoiler! , Basilnote , Asgore Dreemurrspoiler!
- Snake Bird: George Weasleynote , Bill Weasleynote , Shinji Matounote , Sheev Palpatinenote
- Double Snake: Avatar Aangnote , Azulaspoiler! , Rider, Grunkle Stan
- Sources: https://wisteria-lodge.tumblr.com/post/622942228102414339/wrt-to-sortinghatchats-what-means-burned, https://sortinghatchats.tumblr.com/archive, https://wisteria-lodge.tumblr.com/, https://wisteria-lodge.tumblr.com/post/636774847399297024/my-explanation-of-the-sorting-hat-chats-system, https://docs.google.com/document/d/1zMOyVaMXsXgfBbRMf0aJRDBo1potfozDb3nV03aOIs4/edit#heading=h.3013l5kh05z3, https://machikurada.tumblr.com/post/184757837598/fatesortinghatchats-stay-night-edition
- This quiz can take between 10 and 180 minutes, depending on how much you argue with it.note
- Please avoid altering anyone's house combo or additional interactions beside your own.
- Sort tropers for each combo by alphabetical order.
- Double Lion:
- Lion Badger:
- Lion Bird:
- Lion Snake:
- Badger Lion:
- Double Badger:
- Badger Bird:
- Badger Snake:
- Bird Lion:
- Bird Badger:
- Double Bird: Dynamic Discoverynote
- Bird Snake:
- Snake Lion:
- Snake Badger:
- Snake Bird:
- Double Snake: