Warning: Due to the inherent nature of this trope, do not view these images if you are prone to losing sleep. View at your own risk.
Anime and Manga
- Whatever happens... WE'RE A HAPPY FAMILY◊, RIGHT?
- Really, Higurashi is a gold mine◊ of nightmare face material. (Potentially spoiler-ish link, beware.)
- Fragments of Horror: the story "Magami Nanakuse" has a pretty horrifying one◊after the main character tries resisting creating any tics while imprisoned.
- When you see K of From the New World, you'll shit bricks.
- Eva-01 just had a bit of a bad day, that's all.◊
- Higanbana no Saku Yoru ni: Is the docile sheep already doomed!?◊
- Classic Yu-Gi-Oh! was fond of this. Look at Yami Marik◊.
- Spoilers for Yu-Gi-Oh! ZEXAL: Rei's face◊ when he is revealed to be vector
- Sora's tendency to have a little too much fun in his "hunting games": Exhibit A◊.
- Alucard... Dear◊ GOD!◊
- From Hunter × Hunter we give you Hisoka, the king◊ of creepy◊ expressions◊ in this series. And in case you really don't feel like sleeping, here's a lovely one.
- One of the evolved roaches◊ from TerraforMARS.
- Thought Shigeo from Mob Psycho 100 was not scary enough when angry? Reconsider at once◊.
- The Joker demonstrates.
- The Joker demonstrates again.◊
- Blatantly recalling the horror of that scene, the Joker does it again!◊
- The Joker again◊, for the New 52, where his face is removed and worn as a mask, held on by straps and hooks. This image is toward the end of the story where the face is beginning to decay. This one is one of the covers.◊
- This face◊ from The Killing Joke is one of the Joker's worst Nightmare Faces, falling squarely into the Uncanny Valley.
- Vos' favourite method of torture◊.
Films — Animated
- Cruella de Vil demonstrates.◊
- ...as BOYS!!!◊
- In The Care Bears: Adventure in Wonderland of all movies, the evil wizard makes this face◊ for a fraction of a second.
- Jangles the Clown◊ from Inside Out.
- Thrax from Osmosis Jones: Hi, baby!◊
- I HOPE YOU'RE SATISFIED!◊
- Ruber◊ from Quest for Camelot, when he breaks into Juliana's home.
- You wish you were nice and... SHINY!!◊
Films — Live-Action
- The infamous face from Inland Empire.
- "And when they pulled the driver's body from the twisted, burning wreck, it looked like...THIS!◊
- Brought to you◊ by Jacob's Ladder.
- Gwynplaine, The Man Who Laughs.
- And, similarly, Mr. Sardonicus◊.
- BILBO WANTS HIS PRECIOUS◊
- This◊ beautiful young lady appears in House on Haunted Hill (1999).
- Raoul Silva: "Look upon your work, mother."
- The brief flashes of of The Demon from The Exorcist
- There's a very good reason you should never look into the Ark of the Covenant. First you see this◊, then your face does this. That is, if your head doesn't shrivel up. Or explode.
- Pennywise 1◊2◊ from It (1990) and Pennywise◊ from the remake.
- You have wocka-ed your last wocka, bear.◊
- Needs more◊ Steven Moffat.
- Breaking Bad spoilers: Gustavo's face after the bomb explosion.
- Barlow from Salems Lot
- One has to wonder how the citizens of Termina stay sane with this◊ looking down on them at all times.
- NOT TAKE MIRROR!◊
- ...or else you will DIE!◊
- The Yume Nikki FACE◊ (Seizure Warning)
- NESS NESS NESS NESS NESS NESS NESS NESS NESS NESS NESS NESS NESS NESS NESS◊.
- From Splatterhouse 3: Jennifer has become a mindless beast◊. And the 2010 version◊.
- You're not even safe from nightmare faces in cute games like Animal Crossing. Forget to save while you're on the train, and not only do you lose all your items and money, but you get this as a face for the rest of the play session◊.
- Nightmare's handsome mug◊.
- Resistance: Fall of Man: "Human history just got a little less human."◊
- Izanami wants to say hello.
- Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse:
- Literal Nightmare face◊.
- Another thing from that game, SA-X's Face◊.
- You'll dread seeing this◊ every time you die to the Tenth Colossus in Shadow of the Colossus.
- The title screen◊ of the ZX Spectrum game Soft & Cuddly.
- The face◊ from the Japanese horror game Death Forest.
- It's probably for the best that this face◊ in Wario Land 3 (possibly meant for Rudy's transformation) was Dummied Out.
- Kokichi Oma from New Danganronpa V3 normally looks like a cute kid, but occasionally displays some horrifying facial expressions that get worse as the game goes on, ending with this one◊.
- Just Shapes & Beats: You have been DESTROYED.
- The developers of MLB: The Show 2017 discovered a glitch with the hair slider that resulted in these monstrosities◊. One looks like he has a tumbleweed for a head, the other looks like his head is made of rotting wood. People with trypophobia, turn away.
- NBA 2K15 has face-scanning technology that is supposed to adjust the facial features of the player's customizable character to match the player's face. It...doesn't work very well.◊
- Trauma Center: Under The Knife 2: "Dr. Stiiiiles... Do you know what else the 'Healing' Touch is good for...? It's also good for... KILLING!"◊ (spoiler, both on image and in URL)
- Jeff the Killer: here◊ and here◊
- Smile Dog◊
- Sonic.exe: "I AM GOD" and this face at the end of Sonic's level in Version 5.
- The Observer from Tribe Twelve is SO happy to see you◊!
- The Spoony Experiment's... thing◊.
- LUIGI, I GOT TERMINAL SEVEN. THIS IS WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE, LUIGI.
- WE WILL WAIT FOR YOU NO MORE
- "Just sit back at relax, WHILE I EAT YOUR BRAINS!!!"◊
- "...and then she makes Kathy Bates in Misery look like a fucking Care Bear.◊"
- Michael Taylor's face at the ending of "The Demon Made Me Do It", from Bedtime Stories. It doesn't help that this is an actual, recent case of Demonic Possession.
- Zombiecore's magnum opus: a photomanipulation that edits his mouth to cover his entire face and places beady yellow eyes atop his head.
- Perhaps it's better if Rei doesn't smile...
- Ren's faces have been cranked Up to Eleven in Adult Party Cartoon, and this is by far possibly the worst example◊.
- HI GIRLS!!◊
- This◊ is the true, canon, SpengBab.
- Teen Titans Go!: A horrifying face◊
- When Jasper smiles◊, a puppy dies.
- Samurai Jack: Ashi... Ashi... Ashi... KILL THE SAMURAI!!!◊
- From Drawn Together: "VIDEO GAMES ARE THE FUTURE!!!"◊