open/close all folders
Finn and Jake
- Finn and Jake themselves have some of this. They're brothers, so it's expected they'd be close, but some things bring it to strange levels.
Finn: You can't be stealing gold in your sleep. I watch you while you sleep.
- From "Gut Grinder":
Jake: What?!? Yo, Finn, that is creepy, man.
Finn: I can't help it! I take pictures!
Jake: Hey, Finn's gonna need a queen. (Beat) I'll do it.
- The same episode features Finn calling Jake "Baby".
- From "The Silent King":
Finn: If you weren't so darn handsome, animals wouldn't always be staring at you!
- From "The Eyes":
Jake: You're just mad at me for being... (smiles) handsome?
- In Issue 18 of the official comics, Finn is trying to give CPR to a passed out Jake. Ice King comes in, sees this, and gets the wrong idea.Ice King: Finn are you- Oh haha, I guess you didn't see me come in.
Ice King and Finn/Jake
- Ice King's obsession with being Finn and Jake's "friend" is half pathetic, and half thoroughly creepy. "Still" is disturbing even by his standards, what with paralysing the two of them and forcing them to perform bizarre activities with him, including cooking them an omelette that he's stuck his foot in (so that "part of [him] will be inside [the two of them]").
- He says this will bring them "even closer together" (in regards to the foot omelette).
- Also in "Still": Ice King proceeds to dress up like Finn (he wanted to dress up like Jake too but doesn't out of protest). Then puts on a slide-show of penguin pics.
- He even says the reason he froze them was so they could "bond as friends". Why does he want to "bond"? "Because I love you guys! But you don't love me." To prove he likes them more than they like him he tells them stuff about them. Including: That Jake doesn't put ice in his drinks because he has sensitive teeth, Finn's favorite food is meatloaf, and that sometimes Jake doesn't cry because he's "afraid of real emotion".
- "Don't touch my lemons Ice King!...Ice King!"
- Ice King stuffs himself in a fake horse suit in "The Eyes" so he can watch them when they sleep (to learn to be as happy as them). They all end up falling asleep together at the end of the episode.
- After the events of "Frost and Fire" Ice King ends up living with Finn and Jake for a while. In "Play Date" Ice King eventually admits that the Ice Kingdom had actually been fixed for weeks, he just like living with Finn and Jake and didn't tell them.
- The ending of "Adventure Time with Fionna and Cake" has the Gender Flipped version of Finn declaring her love for the Ice King.
- The comics have Ice King claim that his and Finn's destinies are cosmically intertwined.
- In Issue 3 while they're preparing for battle he says, "There's more to me than just my ice powers, Finn. I hope you one day realize that."
- Finn and the Ice King cuddle in "Play Date". Finn is okay with it.
- In "A King's Ransom" Ice King thinks Finn and Jake are jealous of his relationship with Gunter.
Fionna and Cake
- In their debut episode "Fionna and Cake", Fionna spends most of the episode on a date with Gumball, complete with Gumball saying she "looks beautiful in the snow" and singing her a romantic song. Except it was Ice Queen in disguise. Fionna went on a date with Ice Queen.
- The song in question is dripping with Foe Romance Subtext, with such lines as "If I said you're a beautiful girl would it upset you?", "Your fist has touched my heart", and "I'll never let anything in this world keep us apart". It makes a lot more sense when you know the twist.
- In the Fionna and Cake comics, Ice Queen admits that she doesn't hate Fionna, it's just that Fionna is always in her way. During the climax, Ice Queen takes the salt crystal out of Flame Prince's body, and absorbs it into her own. She says (to herself) she thought she needed the love of a prince, then the baby fire lions, and then she says the crystal could hold more warmth than both of them combined. As she's melting, she says "There's so much strange magic in this world... be careful with it, Fionna."
- Ice Queen says that Fionna is "keeping all the babes" to herself. One could assume that she meant the Princes but babes is generally used to describe women not men.
Lemongrab and Lemongrab 2
- Lemongrab and Lemongrab 2 ooze this trope out of their lemony pores from their first meeting. The poking, the Eskimo kisses, the cuddling... and Lemongrab has no problem with walking up to the nude guy and poking him repeatedly. PB explicitly states that she made him for Lemongrab to be with.
- "Stop by any TIIIME!!!" "But call first!" (a very common thing for recently married couples to say to in-laws in real life), they say to Princess Bubblegum and the others after exchanging interesting smiles of mutual bliss.
- The Adventure Time Facebook page described their relationship: "They keep each other company in lemony bliss." They sound like a married couple!
- At the end of "You Made Me," for just a brief moment, Lemongrab is shown making this face◊ at Lemongrab 2.
- EVERYTHING about the Lemongrabs in "All Your Fault". The way they speak to each other and their children, the way they bicker about what to name their kids, the promo art; Adventure Time basically has a gay couple who live together and have a bunch of children.
- There is a Freeze-Frame Bonus screenshot of Lemongrab's brain, in which his thoughts are visible. One of them refers to a "beautiful lemon man."
- Thomas Herpich, one of the artists on Adventure Time who wrote "You Made Me" and "All Your Fault," was politely asked to draw a picture of the Lemongrabs for a fan at the 2012 Brooklyn Comics & Graphics Festival. Having been given no other instructions on this vague request, Herpich responded by drawing a picture of the Lemongrabs hugging and smiling... and butt naked◊.
- The two are the stars of an Adam and Eve Plot. Lemongrab, like Adam, starts off totally alone and the first of his kind. Princess Bubblegum (whom LG calls "Glob", or God in Adventure Time speak) makes another Lemongrab so he doesn't get lonely, and eventually they have children together and start a whole new civilization.
- Their genderbent counterparts in the Fionna and Cake comic books acknowledge all of this lemony Ho Yay. Kate Leth, who created the genderbent "Lady Lemongrabs" for the backup story "Sour Candy", drew this self-proclaimed "homoerotic" illustration one day before the release of issue 3, Sour Candy's debut. The comic itself also contains a bit of Ho Yay, too, including vague implications of an anniversary party, hand-holding, and face-nuzzling.
- In the first "Adventure Time Annual" issue, there's a 6-page comic called "Lemon Sea." In the story, the Lemongrabs basically go on a date. They leave their kids at home and go to their own private beach for a picnic.
- "Another Five Short Graybles" both ships and sinks the two by having the two refer to each other as brother but also refer to each other as a dad to their fake doll son.
- "Too Old" has Lemongrab act like an abusive husband and father to the other Lemongrab and their children, then eats him, causing pretty much everyone to jump ship at that point.
- In the comics (Issue 24) even after eating Lemongrab 2 he still refers to him as his only friend, simply that he now lives in his belly.
- In "Lemonhope Part II" both Lemongrabs are literally combined/become one by PB after the original Lemongrab explodes.
- In "Too Young", Lemongrab (unintentionally) sucks on Peppermint Butler's head, and afterwards smacks his lips a couple of times and says "Mmmm!" to himself pleasantly. Neither of them seemed to mind at the moment. Of course, Peppermint is rather a rather tasty candy, so that likely could have been the reason for the pleased sound.
- Finn has had a few of these thanks to Innocent Innuendo.
Finn: There's a big sleepy lava man in our front yard! And he is so hot!
- From "Prisoners of Love":
Jake: Mm-hmm... (nudges Finn)
Finn: No—no wait, I take it back—I don't mean like... sexy hot...
Jake: No... you do mean sexy hot!
Marceline: You can't hurt my dad, you're like an ant to him.
- From "It Came From The Nightosphere":
Finn: Well this ant's about to get in his pants!
Marceline: (raises eyebrow) What.
- In "Hug Wolf", Finn hints that he has "repressed emotional feelings" for Cinnamon Bun.
- Jake outright stated that he has a "secret crush" on Billy.
- The marauders from "Memories of Boom-Boom Mountain" like to wrestle. And then they like to pet each other. Pet each other raw.
Mountain: Those men and their disgusting fantastic bodies!
- From the same episode:
Jake: This guy has problems.
- In "Death in Bloom", Death kisses Jake on the lips to restore his memories, with a Foot Pop from Jake."Kiss of death, baby."
- The very first gladiator in "Morituri Te Salutamus" (who are later revealed to have been forced to kill their partner gladiator by the Fight King) mournfully yells "Hyperion! My love!", and the other gladiators are all either crying or expressing similar dismay. At the end, after Finn kills the Fight King, all the gladiators are paired off, holding hands, and disappear together. It was later confirmed that all of the gladiator pairs were in fact same-sex couples.
- "The Monster" has this line from LSP (It Makes Sense in Context, but not by much):No, Jessica! Don't cheat on Tony with me!
- In "The Hard Easy", Finn kisses a frog, who turns out to be a buff prince. Complete with bright, sparkly magical boy transformation. Plus, he calls Jake "sweetles" at one point.
- Prismo has a lot of this towards Jake. It's mostly one-sided since Jake's too oblivious to notice it at all.
Jake: I gotta get that guy a girlfriend.
- Reinforced in "Wake Up" when Jake tells Prismo that he's always smiling when he's around him. Especially Prismo's reaction.
- Although not probably canon, the 18th chapter of the Adventure Time Comics released by Ka BOOM! Studios features Jake asking Prismo for help and Prismo replying "Anything for you, Jake", he also proceeds to call Finn just "Jake's friend" which is pretty weird considering he was literally the person he was willing to die for in the Season 6 beginning.
- Huntress Wizard has some innuendo about her sexuality. In "Wizard Battle", she's competing for Princess Bubblegum's kiss, and was seen cheering after hearing about the prize (Word of God insists she was more interested in testing her magic powers against the other competing wizards). In "Reign of Gunters" she's extremely hostile to Ice King's attempts to flirt with her (although then again, it's Ice King). And in "Wizards Only, Fools", she looks up while Princess Bubblegum jumps over her wearing a Spy Catsuit. Her theme also has some resonance, given that Artemis, the goddess of hunting, famously did not like men and went around with a lot of young women who were also expected to renounce male companionship.
- Also in "Wizard Battle", Abracadaniel gives off a gay vibe since everything about him is soft and delicate, his speech included, he uses rainbow magic, is outright repulsed at the idea of kissing Bubblegum, and is shaped like a certain body part. Also when he "wins", he states that he deserves a kiss (not that he wants it, wording is important).
- Whatever BMO did here◊ in "Jake the Dad". While BMO is mostly in the Ambiguous Gender camp, other characters and BMO themself often treat them as male.
- The episode ends with Finn laying on his back, with BMO dancing on his belly and BMO's controller in his mouth.
- Whole "Davey" episode. With Ice Cream person angrily asking Finn out for a dinner, then telling him that he made him one. And with Davey (Finn in disguise) building a shack together with another Candy Person, and then hanging around together in it.
- Jake eats Meat Man's meat in his sandwich. That night he has a dream about Meat Man, the following morning this exchange happens,Jake: (staring out the window with a cup of coffee and a blanket wrapped round his shoulders) I had a dream about Meat Man... I think I'm going to stop eating Meat Man.
- Bubblegum makes out with her left hand in "A Glitch Is A Glitch", which is later revealed to be sentient and female.
- "BMO Lost" has BMO and Bubble, who try to adopt a baby together, and ends with Bubble proposing to BMO (granted, he admitted he didn't know what "married" means). BMO said yes. As a machine, though, BMO is technically genderless and has been referred to as both he and she in the show and the DVD "Little Did You Know" entries.
- Towards the end of "The Suitor", Peppermint Butler has a dark magic spell cast on Braco to make him a "love magnet". It goes horribly right.Braco: Did it work? Am I a love magnet?Peppermint Butler: Well, you definitely paid the price alright, and I want to have your babies.
- Later at the end of the episode, when Bubblegum tells Peppermint Butler that she sent Braco away, he angrily responds with "You should've given him to me!".
- Tiffany has a rather unhealthy obsession with Jake. In "One Last Job" Tiffany flat out yells "I LOVE YOU JAKE!".
- In "The Silent King", Gummy the goblin seems all too eager to be spanked in the buttocks by Finn, and sits on the lap of Whisper Dan, while thinking that he's Finn.
- In "Slow Love", Snorlock keeps wishing that Finn and Jake were girls so he could date them.
- In the promo art of "Too Old," two lemon brothers are seen making out with each other. Apparently, they were either very drunk, or incest is just not taboo in Castle Lemongrab.
- Jake and his subconscious-thoughts-Mr. Cupcake have a bunch of this in "Time Sandwich".
- Shoko and PB become close pretty quickly in "The Vault", which just makes Shoko's eventual fate all the more tragic.
- In the graphic novel "Seeing Red" the hotel bellhop very clearly has a crush on Jake, outright saying "I love you." At the end of the story Jake has to tell him that he already has a girlfriend and kids... after a Fade to Black when Jake woke up to find the bellhop in his room.
- Being a Shout-Out to Thelma & Louise, plenty of it with Marcy and LSP in "Princess Day". Not to mention how Marcy wanted to hang around with Bubblegum first but PB was too interested in a crossword puzzle. Marcy texting is playfully cute.
- In "Orgalorg", the only female penguin hits on LSP.
- In the Stakes mini-series, the Vampire King sucks out the Fool's restored tooth with his mouth. Also the Fool is the only one who decides to stay with VK.
- In "Don't Look", Finn inadvertently changing the forms of whoever he looks at based on what he thinks of them turns Princess Bubblegum into a "teen boy heartthrob", putting a bizarre twist on his crush on her.Bubblegum: Can you explain this?Finn: I don't know! I'm not a psychiatrist!
- Same episode, to make Finn go back to looking like himself his friends give flattering descriptions of him while he looks in a mirror, with Ice King calling him "the hottest guy in Ooo".
- Prince Gumball and Marshall Lee have as subtext as their original versions.
- "Five Short Tables" has Butterscotch Maid tell Gumball the reason she can always win is because she knows everything about Gumball, his dreams, ambitions, regrets and fears. When talking about her regrets, Marshall Lee appears on the screen.
- The Islands mini-series
- In the first episode of the Islands mini-series, Marceline makes it very obvious she's attracted to Susan.
- Susan and her old friend Frieda. They were very close when they were younger, and Frieda even wanted Susan to run away from the island with her. It becomes extremely close to just plain text in the last episode when Frieda affectionately hugs Susan around the neck from behind and the two go off together on their own adventures.
- Lumpy Space Princess's liking for boys is well-documented, but she's had some moments where she seemed to express interest in girls as well. When she was interviewed by Newsarama promoting the episode "Prinsess Day", this set of questions happened:Nrama: What are your favorite qualities in a man?
LSP: He needs to be hot, like me.
Nrama: What are your favorite qualities in a guuuurrrlll?
LSP: She needs to be hot, like me.
- During the "Elements" mini series LSP eats Marshmallow Marceline's face.
- Finn and Fern feature a couple: In "The Three Buckets" Finn says to Fern during his Oblivious Guilt Slinging that the two of them are "closer than brothers". The next episode, "The Wild Hunt", has Finn kissing Huntress Wizard, however because he was still upset over what happened with Fern he sees Fern's face in HW, causing him to scream.