Silent Hill 2 is a nightmarish, depressing game filled with themes of abuse and trauma. But these moments sure make it easy to walk away with a smile.
- The Leave ending. From the fact that Mary forgives James, apologizes for all the pain she caused him by trying to avoid accepting her illness, and tells him to live his own life. Then you see him and Laura walking out together, with the implication that he's honoring Mary's wish to adopt and care for the little girl she loved."James... You made me happy."
- And right after James' heartbreaking confession, there's this:James: The truth is... I hated you. I wanted you out of the way; I wanted my life back!Mary: If that were true, then why do you look so sad?
- Something to note about this ending is how... Sincere everything is. James's guilt-ridden confession about why he did it is so passionate and real, you really believe it. And Mary's response essentially saying that, despite his feelings and actions, James is still a good person who deserves happiness.
- And right after James' heartbreaking confession, there's this:
- Mary's letter to Laura, also a Tear Jerker. She tells Laura that she loved her like a daughter, and would have hoped to adopt her.
- In a really warped sense, Maria's concern for Laura. Her existence may just be Silent Hill's way of tormenting James, but that she actually has all of Mary's feelings, down to her love for Laura is really touching on some level.
- In the Dog ending, the dog at the controls licks James' face to try and cheer him up after he discovers she's been behind everything.