open/close all folders
- Koudelka and Edward in the first ending when She reveals that her gypsy name (Zslato) means treasure
- In the original game, Alice and Zhuzhen liberate Bistritz with the help of Keith. The little girl, Nina, is reunited with her mother, and everyone discovers that Nina's "special item" is not gold dust, but cross-pollinated seeds that will be able to grow in the town's harsh soil.
- When Zhuzhen and Yuri are reunited after spending a good six months apart when Yuri absorbed the Seraphic Radiance and went mildly insane.Zhuzhen: So, it's really you, kid?! I'm not just seeing things? Choke...sob... Y-You gigantic knucklehead, you...Yuri: Ah, c'mon. Don't go cryin' on me now, pops! Now, c'mon! Stop it! You'll dry yourself out if you cry like that!Zhuzhen: Aw, stuff it! Don't you know I've been worried sick over what kind of trouble you might be in?! That's why I came looking for you, you ungrateful son-of-a-bitch!! It just chokes me up! Can I help it if the tears come easy in my old age!
- A small, but surprisingly sweet moment is when Keith checks on an injured Halley after being struck by Roger Bacon. He and Halley have very little interaction beforehand.Keith: You're okay now. I'm here with you...
- The good ending of the first game, if you interpret it as Yuri being given a second chance in Covenant to go back in time in order to save Alice from dying.
Alice: I'm not sure when it was that I started to feel the way I do about you. You can be so short-tempered and foul-mouthed sometimes, and yet...so graceful and strong and pure. Would you be surprised if I told you that I sometimes wished that our journey together would never end? I don't know where that journey will end. ...But I'm frightened when I start to feel it coming. You've survived so many hardships since you were a child...Overcome such pain. I'm certain it was because your mother and father gave you so much love when you were small. And that's why...even if you don't put it in words...you're always teaching me just exactly what love is. I'm so grateful that I met you. So truly, truly grateful.
- Word of God confirms this.
- Also if you're on the path to the good ending, Alice gives a very heartfelt speech about how much Yuri means to her.
Yuri: As the warlock said in the end, even if another "age of storms" buffets this world, I intend to go on living and fighting. For you, who freed me from the darkness. For the one I love.
- Yuri's speech in the bad ending is short, but very sweet.
- Margarete gives a confessional to Yuri about how she, when she first met Yuri, could only think of using him to better her country. But, she grew attracted to his comic-book ways and the way he protected Alice. She even mentions that she might like to spend more time with him, even though she knows he loves Alice instead.
- In Shadow Hearts's bad ending, after defeating the 2nd boss in the Neameto, Alice faints. Margarete sends the rest of the party away, and they have a woman-to-woman conversation, in which Alice confesses that she doomed herself to save Yuri, and her soul was killed. Margarete reassures her in a Cool Big Sis way.
- Margarete's first scene has her planting a smaller bomb outside of the train depot she's been ordered to destroy. She does this so everyone will run outside to see what it was, sparing them from the effects of the much larger bomb she set up inside. She even states that she does this because there are many innocent people working inside, even if it goes against the orders she's been given. Given the fact her contact on the radio has to ask her if she's planted any 'unnecessary bombs', it's not the first time Margarete has done this either.
- A flashback reveals that when Yuri was a child, his father had to leave his family to work in the city over the winter months. Yuri insists that while he can wait for his father to come back, his mom desperately misses him, even though she tries to hide it. Ben admits that he feels terrible about leaving them for so long, and asks that Yuri looks after his mom while he's gone. Yuri promises to do just that, and only asks that Ben comes back soon. Unfortunately, Ben never makes it home.
- There's something oddly endearing about how Yuri calls Sea Mother 'Sea Mama'.
- Ben saving Zhuzhen from Wugui and his underlings really shows what a nice guy he was. When he first steps in to help, Ben has no idea that Wugui is linked to Dehuai, who he is really after. He just wanted to help someone who was in need. After the battle, Ben even carries Zhuzhen to safety, without asking for anything in return. Mr Zhen also deserves a mention for not only worrying about Zhuzhen, but offering to treat his wounds at his shop just down the road.
- Nina tells Alice and Zhuzhen about the time Keith rescued her from wolves in the forest. Not only does he take her back to the village, Keith apparently holds hands and sings with her.
- When Zhuzhen admits that he and Alice thought Keith was the one attacking the nearby village with monsters, Keith politely responds that not only have he and his ancestors never harmed the inhabitants of said village, he adds that his 'granddaddies would fly out of their caskets and chew him out all night' if he dared to hurt the villagers. It's really quite sweet that the Valentine family has been looking out for the village for centuries.
- What's the one thing that helps Yuri snap out of his soulless state? It's seeing Alice get brutally backhanded by the physical manifestation of his own fears and doubts. He drops everything and runs to help her.
- It turns out that Ben has been watching over Yuri, and is part of the reason he was able to withstand the Seraphic Radiance; Yuri's father absorbed it into himself. He has a heart to heart talk with Yuri in the Graveyard, telling him how very proud he is, and how much Yuri has grown up. He then challenges Yuri to a battle, after which Ben gives him the Seraphic Radiance's soul, believing he can now handle it. Ben admits that he wishes he'd had more time with Yuri, and Yuri responds that he knows his dad will keep watching over him.
Shadow Hearts: Covenant
- Shadow Hearts: Covenant, a game already full of Crowning Moments of Awesome and Crowning Moments of Funny falls into this category with Lenny. Revealed to be Not Quite Dead at the end of the game, he wanders around the world to help people, teaching math skills to a thief to give him the skills to get a real job, helping old ladies, and so forth. Evidently Rousseau Was Right.
- While the second playthrough of Covenant is mostly just creepier/funnier thanks to the complicated family relationships revealed at the end, the very first scene actually gets more meaning if you remember how Yuri's mother died right before his eyes when he was a kid. Perhaps it wasn't just the pretty face that moved him.
- The Train Scene with Yuri and Alice in the second game is really cute. Alice is dead and Yuri is seeing her in his soul after trying to revive her and failing and has really missed talking to her for a long time, getting a bit awkward. They share a short but intimate moment with each other.
- After accidentally upsetting the Ring Soul the last time they met, Yuri actually apologises when they meet up again. He even asks about the Ring Soul's wife and daughter. The Ring Soul is apparently delighted at the fact that his little daughter has just started calling him 'papa'. Further conversations reveal that the Ring Soul is worried his wife is cheating on him. Yuri reassures him that she most likely isn't, and it turns out that the Ring Soul's wife was just working at night so she could buy him an expensive present.
- Yuri has a surprisingly heartfelt conversation with Albert Simon of all people, in his subconscious; having absorbed his soul during the events of the first game. When Yuri expresses doubts about being able to keep fighting, Albert is quick to remind him that Yuri was able to defeat him, so he has every chance against Rasputin. Yuri even admits Albert's motives were good though his method was wrong, and Albert is deferential towards Yuri and thinks he could do better at stopping Rasputin than he could.
- Ishimura's grandson can't be any older than five or six (his character description mentions he's only just stopped wetting the bed) but he still runs to stand between his grandfather and a furious Yuri to try and protect him.
- At the end of the game, the party are told that they cannot return to the present, but that they can pray to be taken anywhere they like. Gepetto returns to when his daughter Cordelia was alive, Blanca goes to the Kawashimas so he can continuing protecting little Yoshiko, Joachim ends up on stage as the ultimate fighter, Lucia is reunited with Carla, and Anastasia and Kurando end up together on what appears to be the mountain range where Anastasia's family were planning on staying. It's incredibly sweet that the majority of people asked to be with their loved ones, other than the immortal vampire who has all the time in the world to be with them.
- Karin's wish is clearly to be with Yuri. Her wish is granted in a bittersweet sort of way; while she does end in a place where she can love and protect Yuri, it's as his mother. She does find a second love in the form of Yuri's father, and it's not known if she retained her memories about her time with Yuri.
Shadow Hearts: From The New World
- Lenny's responsible for one in From The New World; if you talk to him after you visit the Gate, you not only get Johnny's ultimate armor, but he reveals the depths of his devotion:Lenny: Although it is presumptuous of me, I plan on living another fifty years, so don't die just yet.Johnny: Another fifty years?!?Lenny: Yes. Until I hold your grandchild in my arms, I have no intention of dying.
- The Good Ending of New World. There's just something about Johnny and Shania both headed out on a new case, smiling at each other as they open the door, as Best Friends For Life (or maybe more than just friends?).
- "I'll protect them both...I'll protect Shania. And the world!"
- Shania bonding with Anne the pirate girl, thanking her for keeping the Ocean Altar safe.
- During the Garvoy Valley sidequest, the party discovers the Altar of the Sun, and that the soul of Shania's father has been guarding it ever since Lady destroyed the village. As per the customs of her tribe, Shania decides to take the test to make a soul contract with the Sun Spirit. However, Johnny stops her and pleads with Shania's father to allow him to assist Shania in the test. Moved by Johnny's determination and concern for Shania, her father allows him to participate in the battle.
- Killer and Lady's relationship. Despite being the antagonists, it's clear they're devoted to each other, and the only time Lady shows emotion is when she sees Killer die.