- In a complete inversion of HAL 9000, GERTY shows that he is supposed to take care of Sam. "Helping you is what I do." He even comforts him with a pat on the shoulder.
- What brings it close to Tear Jerker territory is that GERTY is willing to wipe his memory banks to help Sam escape. He's essentially killing himself for his best friend.
- GERTY typing in the password for Sam.
- Sam and GERTY's last goodbyes:GERTY: I hope life on Earth is everything you remember it to be.
Sam: Thanks, Gerty. Are you going to be OK?
GERTY: Of course. The new Sam and I will be back to our programming as soon as I have finished rebooting.
Sam: Gerty, we're not programs. We're people. Understand?
- The last-minute resetting of the harvester coordinates, which ends the satellite blockout: even if Sam 6 didn't make it back, Sam 7 would now have a chance to find out what's going on.
- Sam tearing off the "Kick Me" sign on GERTY.
- Original Sam was retrieved and went back home, living a peaceful life with his family, instead of being disposed like his clones.
Heartwarming / Moon