"This is how I feel."
- Fujiwara realizing that Kaguya wanted to share lunches and offering her some in chapter 5. Kaguya eats the octopus wiener in the manner she envisioned, and apologizes for all the horrible things she mentally said about Fujiwara. The narrator declares this battle is her victory.
- Chapter 6: Tsubasa asks Shirogane for love advice, and the conversation soon turns to what Shirogane thinks of Kaguya. He says that some things about her annoy him, such as her wealth and natural talent, but he also thinks she's cute, elegant, refined, and clever. It is only after stating that he thinks she is the ideal woman that he notices her eavesdropping. Kaguya is so happy that she glows and sparkles for the rest of the chapter.
- Kaguya giving up her only chance to walk to school with Shirogane so she can help a sad kid. And she's rewarded by getting to ride on the back of Shirogane's bike.
- Chapter 20.5's result:
Due to being able to share their respective weaknesses, mutual victory.
- Fujiwara agreeing to train Shirogane again at singing, even though the first time teaching him volleyball was "pure hell".
- Fujiwara's reaction at Shirogane fulfilling his Humble Goal of singing the school anthem together with everybody despite starting off as horrifying example of Hollywood Tone-Deaf. She's directing the song from the stage the week as Tears of Joy begins to fall from her eyes, all while the lyrics about overcoming one's flaws with each other's help accidentally seem to talk directly to them. In the end, she completely breaks into sobs, and when Kaguya approaches her to ask how she is, she just hugs her as she cries "he made me so proud!"
- In the midst of their passive aggressive battle over a slice of cake (and lingering ill-feelings over the "Kaguya Home Visit Incident"), Shirogane and Kaguya both angrily (and hilariously) recount small previous incidents that reveal just how deeply they care about one another, even in the midst of their argument:
- Shirogane recounts that Kaguya once admitted to him that she likes shortcake, and notes that he remembers specifically because it was the first time she briefly dropped her icy expression towards him, saying "I could never forget that face!"
- Kaguya, meanwhile, wants Shirogane to eat the cake because she remembered an offhand comment he had made the previous Christmas about never eating Christmas cake due to his family's poverty and indifference to the holiday.
- The end of chapter 45 (I Can't Hear the Fireworks, Part 2), when Shirogane goes above and beyond to make sure that Kaguya gets to see the fireworks (even if she ends up more occupied with something else).
Everyone is looking at the fireworks. The fireworks they worked so hard to let me see. But I'm sorry. I can't turn my eyes away from his face. My heart is so loud that... I can't hear the fireworks
- There's also Kaguya's internal monologue as she rushes to meet everyone.
Kaguya: I'm sure I'll see them there. The first junior I ever had to look after. The first girl who ever became my friend. And the first person... I ever took interest in. I'm one of them. If I could see those beautiful fireworks together with the people who mean so much to me... I'm sure I would be so happy. I'm sure it would be so wonderful that I wouldn't remember a single other thing about this summer break. Please, God. This summer... doesn't need to have love. So please... just let me be with them...
- A bonus chapter released to celebrate the live action movie was set immediately after this with the student council enjoying the various stalls at the festival before they close. It ends with a shot of Kaguya's twitter profile with a single new tweet:
This summer was amazing!
- Kaguya giving Miyuki a birthday cake. She also gives him a fan that he continuously uses in later chapters. His immediate response? A mental shout of "I'M THRILLED!"
- Kaguya taking it upon herself to tutor Ishigami, and then scaring off some girls who try to dissuade her from doing so.
Kaguya: I do not judge people based on what others say of them. I consider Ishigami to be someone worthy of my time based on what I have personally seen of him.
- "Very well, President. I have an answer to your question. Whether about the speech, or whatever else it may have been... Yes. Gladly."
- Chapter 67 has Ishigami determined to beat Iino as harshly as possible so the student body doesn't see her loss as a reason to mock her as despite their differences, Ishigami can't stand for a person that tries as hard as Iino to be mocked for her efforts.
- In chapter 68 Shirogane agrees with Ishigami but instead goes a different route. Iino has heavy stage fright and can't properly articulate her reasoning so Shirogane comes on stage and basically turns himself into the bad guy that she can voice her reasoning against instead of a large crowd. It works so well that instead of losing by a landslide Iino barely loses and is almost guaranteed to win next year.
- A large crowd of students greet her afterward to console her and encourage her to run next year. They even got her fetish trending on Instagram!
- Chapter 69:
- Hayasaka hugging Kaguya after the exhaustion of the election.
- Shirogane going to see Kaguya in the infirmary after she faints. He tells her that he knows that it was because of her, Fujiwara and Ishigami that he could do what he wanted, thanking her and asking her to be his vice president again.
- Shirogane asking Iino to join the Student Council.
- A few chapters involve Shirogane trying to get Kaguya to go someplace with him, only to end up having to go with Ishigami instead. Instead of it being an awkward, Ho Yay-laden experience, the two of them enjoy hanging out together. It's a testament to their friendship, as well as a nice message that such places are perfectly fine to go to with friends.
Ishigami: You know, I thought two guys going to the aquarium alone would be the epitome of sadness. But this is more fun than I imagined.
- Hayasaka cutting up a notebook that she cherished in her childhood so that Kaguya would be able to enter something in the bellmark collection in Chapter 75. Even more heartwarming is the fact that she had to talk Kaguya into letting her do it since Kaguya didn't want her to sacrifice a precious memento for her sake.
Hayasaka: Miss Kaguya, in my eyes, you're more like my precious little sister than my master. Your big sister will do anything for you.
- To make it even better, when Fujiwara and Ishigami show up with more bellmarks than her, her first thought isn't "President will think I'm useless", it's "I'm sorry Hayasaka".
- Chapter 77 shows that Kaguya's platonic love for Fujiwara is just as strong as her romantic love for Shirogane (much to her own shock). And on her end, Fujiwara proclaims that if she could save Kaguya's life by giving up her own, she would do it in a heartbeat.
- In the flashbacks to Iino's middle school experience, we see that she got encouragement from an anonymous classmate despite her being treated as a nuisance. Heartwarming by itself, but going by the chapter title ("Thus Yu Ishigami Closed His Eyes Pt. 2"), it's more than likely it was a certain someone.
- In chapter 82, Kaguya teases Ishigami by writing on his forehead. While it's a cute scene on its own, it also doubles as a Call-Back to chapter 10, which had established that the ability to do such things without fear of reprisal was a sign of closeness between two people (as well as a sign of Kaguya's character development, since the old Kaguya would never have considered pulling a prank on someone).
- Chapter 83 has Kei wanting to advise Miyuki but is too embarrassed to say anything. In the end, Kei is able to say it's possible that the girl he likes might just be too embarrassed to talk to him which cheers him up while she gives a little blush.
- Chapter 85 has Osaragi note how hard Ishigami works and appreciates his hidden sweetness. Evidently, the Cheer Squad doesn't think badly of him either, much to Ishigami's (and the audience's) relief.
- Chapter 89 takes a look into Ishigami's time after the middle school incident. After being suspended for the remainder of middle school and pressure from all sides to just give in and apologize to Ogino, he gets into high school with unknowing assistance from Iino. And when he first meets Shirogane, the latter boy reassures him that what he did was just and turned out well in the end, and comforted him, telling him that he's not crazy for acting the way he did. The tears of relief on Ishigami's face really help sell the scene.
- Also from chapter 89, we have Iino standing up for Ishigami when the school administration was trying to keep him from attending high school because he hadn't written an apology to Ogino. This even though, from all evidence, Iino doesn't like Ishigami very much. She stood up and fought the administration on behalf of a boy she didn't like solely because it was the right thing to do. And she succeeded: her arguments caught the attention of the principal, who accepted Ishigami into the school.
- Chapter 90 has Ishigami finally get to see his classmate's faces after the relay race. It's quite a moving moment when you remember that Ishigami intentionally blocks out the faces of others in his mind.
- Chapter 91 has this in Shirogane's father, of all people in his childhood. Although he admits not being able to prove himself as an ideal father to his son, Papa Shirogane's humble wish to his son does cement the fact that he is still a Nice Guy through and through.
Papa Shirogane: Miyuki, I'm a lousy person. I don't have the authority to boss you around. However, there is one thing that I want you to promise me. When the people he loves or the girl he loves is in trouble, a man will protect them, no matter what he takes. And he will face any challenge to do so. Miyuki, become that sort of man. That's all I ask of you.
- Of course, what follows after this is a Mood Whiplash that cuts to the present, where he's willing to left Kaguya to pump the massive balloon just to save his own skin.
- However, this also served as a Heartwarming in Hindsight, as its implied to be part of the reason behind his Nice Guy tendencies.
- An understated one in Chapter 94. Despite believing that Shirogane and Hayasaka just had sex and appearing very upset by it all, when she finally entered the room, the first thing she did was to make sure Hayasaka was okay. Just like with Fujiwara, her romantic love for Shirogane does not take precedence over her platonic love for Hayasaka.
- Kashiwagi's boyfriend giving her a gift for their six month anniversary. After a whole chapter of Kashiwagi worrying nonstop that he was cheating on her with Maki, he surprises her with a heart necklace, and reveals that he was only spending so much time with Maki because they were going out to get a present for the former girl. All of her worries melt in an instant, and they share a(n admittedly raunchy) kiss.
- For that matter, Maki for most of the chapter. Despite the slight sabotage (she suggested the heart necklace because she thought it would be a lame gift) spending time with Tsubasa made her arguably the happiest she'd ever been in a long time.
- Chapter 98 keeps expanding Maki's character. We learn that despite her wanting to break Kashiwagi and her boyfriend up, she values her too much as a friend to break her heart like that.
- Crossing over with a Tear Jerker in chapter 100, Kaguya starts crying after her phone breaks when she realizes how important the photos on it (which featured the rest of the Student Council) were to her. The extra panel shows Kaguya hunched against Hayasaka, who can't seem to console her dear friend.
- Following up on that, Chapter 101 has Kaguya getting all the photos that the rest of the council has taken (far more than she had originally lost), ending with everyone taking a group photo that has her dead center with the biggest smile on her face.
- Going back to chapter 100, the cover page for the chapter also revealed that she used a photo of the rest of the student council as her wallpaper.
- Chapter 104 shows that Kaguya has grown close enough to Ishigami that she shows interest in his crush on Tsubame (and takes it upon herself to help him study so he can both win her affection and improve his self-confidence). And when he doesn't place high when the results come in, she busts into the boy's bathroom ("irrelevant") just to give him some much-needed words of encouragement.
- Also, the thing that motivated Ishigami wasn't the possibility of earning Tsubame's affection, but the fact that Kaguya believed in him.
- Hayasaka's look of pure joy when her mother shows up for her parent-teacher conference in Chapter 111. Additionally while the former's mother was assigned to represent Kaguya's mother at the meeting, Papa Shirogane joins along out of his own volition and actually presenting himself as a much capable father figure to even the teacher himself.
- Chapter 118 does a good job demonstrating just how much Shirogane and Kaguya have changed since the series began. Shirogane, having trouble creating balloon animals, admits to Kaguya how much he struggles with pretty much everything that isn't studying and how hopeless all his efforts feel. Rather than trying to take advantage of this display of weakness, Kaguya expresses admiration towards his constant hard work and is overjoyed that she is able to understand him better.
- Chapter 120: Kaguya tries to come up with a plan to give Shirogane a polka dot handkerchief with a single dot replaced with a heart due to the legend that giving someone a heart-shaped gift during the school festival will result in eternal love. This results in the following exchange with Hayasaka.
You realize that giving him something that like this is basically a confession, right? Well, I'm sure you'll just make up some crazy excuse, and go on about how you don't really like- Kaguya:
I like him. [Beat] Hayasaka: ...What? Kaguya:
I... like Miyuki Shirogane.
- Note Kaguya's choice of words here. She doesn't say "I like the President", she says "I like Miyuki Shirogane". This is one of the few times that she's ever used his first name.
- Kaguya giving an absolutely adorable smile in chapter 123 while thinking about confessing to Shirogane.
- Much like Kaguya, Maki gives Ishigami words of encouragement to confess to Tsubame, and offers to hang out with him if it goes badly.
- In chapter 129, Maki tries to offer Kaguya a massive balloon art sculpture of a whale as thanks for going into the haunted house with her a day earlier.
- In chapter 132, Hayasaka tries to get Kaguya to come up with a proper confession to give to Shirogane. She isn't impressed with most of them and eventually tells her to just put her feelings into words.
Kaguya: When we're walking in a group, and there's someone walking alone in the back, he'll check on them. I love the profile of his face when he turns to look back. Those sleepy eyes of his that almost make me worry. His tense smile when he's faced with a tough problem, his honesty, which borders on annoying, and how he makes you think you can accomplish anything with hard work. The fact that he's such a sore loser, I love all of that. And I love the way he's always striving to improve. And that's why there's no way I can tell him not to go abroad...
- Pretty much everything in chapter 135 that doesn't have to do with Kaguya's self-loathing (and even a bit of it that does) is heartwarming incarnate, especially when Shirogane reveals his Grand Romantic Gesture: showering the school with hundreds of heart-shaped balloons.
Shirogane: This is how I feel.
- Made even better in the following chapter when she accepts his offer to go to Stanford with him and decides to take her prize for catching him (seen above in the officially colored version of the manga).
- Kashiwagi asking Maki to dance with her during the bonfire.
You like me more than Tsubasa-kun? Kashiwagi: [confused] Of course
- Miko was out on patrol during the time of the bonfire, so she wasn't able to see it despite being the one who pushed for it in the first place. So when Ishigami comes by to give her a heart keychain for the lost and found, he also shows her some photos of everyone enjoying it so she can see the fruits of her labor.
- In chapter 139 while Fujiwara might not like it, it's really sweet that Kaguya and Ishigami's relationship has improved so much that she places him above Fujiwara.
- Chapter 147 has Shirogane almost breaking into tears when explaining his burden of being abandoned by his mother to building up the facade of a capable student council president in surface level, seeing it as the only way he can catch up to Kaguya. The nurse however reassured him and giving advice, so much so that even Dr. Tanuma was stunned by her words.
- Chapter 148: Hayasaka hatches an idea to create a roleplay of Shirogane to a depressed Kaguya while using his texts for her speeches. Doing this has the two heartbroken lovers indirectly talking to each other. The icing of the cake.
- In chapter 150, Kaguya and Shirogane finally confess their feelings for one another, followed by a very sweet (if simple) kiss.
Kaguya: This is fine. I don't need lights or balloons. I mean those balloons were certainly splendid, and romantic... but I'm perfectly fine without any of that. Just being like this... I think that's romantic as well.
- In the same chapter, Shirogane admits that he doesn't hate Kaguya's icy, difficult side, and in fact admires her attempts to overcome her upbringing and become kinder. Kaguya, who wholeheartedly believed her "Ice" persona was a reflection of her true self and wholly undeserving of love, is stunned into silence.
- Chapter 151 is basically one long heartwarming moment as the two of them more or less start dating.
- Chapter 153 really shows how far Kaguya and Ishigami's relationship has come when they go Christmas shopping. With Kaguya overthinking everything and Ishigami choosing presents with innocent ideas in mind, it creates a lot of Adorkable moments between the two. Kaguya even gives him a ring that wishes him success in love. But the real kicker is this conversation.
- While the two had technically already started dating, Kaguya brings their initial "War of Love" to an official end in chapter 160 by actually telling Shirogane that she loves him.
- Chapter 162 has a segment where Shirogane is looking through the stationary set he got from Kaguya for Christmas present and seeing that multiple dates the calendar are filled with notes about things she wants to do with him (spending time together during the school trip, seeing another fireworks show in the summer, having a date next Christmas...). This inspired him to buy a birthday gift for her in a form of a crescent moon necklace, which served as an in-universe Genius Bonus when she realizes its meaning; that "time is theirs to share" and correctly guessed that Shirogane wear the same necklace as well.
- In chapters 163, 164, 166 and 175 Kaguya uses every excuse available to act all lovey-dovey with Shirogane.
- Chapter 166 once again has Kaguya doting on Ishigami in a sisterly manner, giving him encouragement for his new workout regiment.
- Chapter 168 has Maki and Kaguya finally getting along as they watch some porn, complete with a Meaningful Echo to the first time they ever met.
- Chapter 170 has Kaguya and Shirogane enjoying a phone call so much that it goes on for over five hours. And when Kaguya finally falls asleep, Shirogane calls her by name for the first time in the entire series as he wishes her a good night.
- At the end of the chapter, Kei and her father were revealed to have overheard Shirogane's phone call that they were willing to stay up late. While Papa Shirogane knew and supported his son's romance isn't anything new, Kei of all people was the one who puts up a lot of interest. This comes from a pair of siblings who were practically estranged and haven't had a normal conversation in years.
- Chapter 172 has a few small ones. It's established that Kaguya would "test" her friends in the past to see if they could be trusted to keep secrets. While lots of girls failed, Fujiwara of all people was completely trustworthy, explaining why she and Kaguya are such close friends in spite of their wildly different personalities.
- The main plot of the chapter is that Ishigami's classmate Rei Onodera found out about Kaguya and Shirogane's relationship. Kaguya initially thinks that one of her friends was gossiping, which would lead to her cutting all ties with that person. When Onodera reveals that she found out because Kaguya was Talking In Her Sleep, her immediate reaction is to shed Tears of Joy that her friends really are good, trustworthy people after all — she saves the embarrassment over sleep-talking for later.
- Onodera ends up keeping Kaguya's secret, explaining that in the past she had a tendency to spread gossip and ended up hurting people like Ishigami and Iino in the process, but now she's trying to find more positive ways to satisfy her curiosity. The fact that she's friends with both of those two now helps demonstrate Onodera's Character Development.
- Chapter 178 reveals that while the entire Student Council was unhappy with Ishigami being an outcast over the Ogino/Ootomo incident, Fujiwara was the most vocal, wanting to reveal the truth of the incident to the whole school to exonerate him. And despite getting outvoted on the matter, Miss Secretary showed her protest by deliberately misfiling the incident's report in plain sight. Considering her normal Sitcom Arch-Nemesis relationship with Ishigami, this says a lot.
- The cover for volume 18 has an adorable sister-brother moment between Kaguya and Ishigami as she playfully pokes his cheeks.
- In the few chapters prior to chapter 183, Hayasaka confesses that she has not been very close with her companions, and was merely using them as means to gather intel on and for Kaguya. She's convinced that nobody would want to befriend someone like her, but this doesn't stop Shirogane from talking her out of this mentality. The manga even cuts to Hayasaka's usual companions sincerely acknowledging her as a friend.
- Chapter 185:
- The end of chapter 187. With Kaguya and Hayasaka's master-servant relationship gone, they're now free to act as close as they want, reflected in how they address each other as they walk to school together. Kaguya even comments how this is the dynamic she wanted from the very beginning.
L...let's go to school together, ...Kaguya. Kaguya:
Let's go, Ai-san
- From Chapter 189, Kaguya and Fujiwara are caught in opposite of an in-universe shipping war over who should Ishigami be paired with, Tsubame or Iino. They end up dragging poor Shirogane into the fight and ends up torn between who should he side with. Eventually, he tells Kaguya that he decided to support Iino, and she isn't even mad, because he'll be there to support her - not as the Student Council president, but as a friend.
Kaguya: [thinking] From the bottom of my heart, I'm so glad that this is the person I fell in love with.
- This deserves a little more of elaboration. Despite not showing any hesitation about her actions, Shirogane immediately realized that Kaguya felt guilty about not only refraining from supporting Iino in her time of need, but also for actively helping Ishigami to get together with another girl, as doing otherwise would mean going back on her word to support Ishigami. Shirogane not only understood Kaguya's dilemma right away, but also accepted the request that she couldn't bring herself to make without going against her own Code of Honour. That is, to support Iino himself so Kaguya will be able to support Ishigami with a clean conscience, and spare her from the guilt of making Iino the Romantic Runner-Up in case Ishigami will end up getting together with Tsubame. Now that's a man protecting the girl he loves like Papa Shirogane tried to teach him.
- A very small moment in Chapter 191: the presidents of the Occult Club and Mass Media Club mention that their respective members like and trust Ishigami, and refer to him as a "good kid". At the start of the year, Ishigami was a total pariah, but after coming out of his shell he's slowly repairing his reputation just by being himself.
- Chapter 195: Valentine's Day
- For Ishigami, Valentine's Day is just a reminder that his life sucks. Not this year. This year, he receives chocolate from not one, not two, but five people! Tsubame, Onodera, Osaragi, Fujiwara, and later Iino all give him chocolate. For someone given the short end of the stick in life, it's nice seeing things work out for him.
- The scene with Iino deserves special mention considering the state of their relationship. She gives Ishigami her chocolate putting a lot of emphasis on the fact that it's just obligatory chocolate for the student council. Even still, he accepts her chocolate with a smile. In turn Iino runs off elated that he's happy with her chocolate.
- Hayasaka giving Shirogane chocolate, while at the same time, asking him to be her friend - for real, this time.
- And of course Kaguya giving Shirogane her chocolate at the end of the chapter.
- Chapter 196: Shirogane, Ishigami, Maki and Hayasaka all spend the day hanging out at a batting cage to help Maki distract herself with her still conflicted feelings over Tsubasa. During the course of this, Maki ends up bonding with Hayasaka with the chapter even ending on the note that Hayasaka managing to make herself another friend.
- During Maki's heart-to-heart to Hayasaka, she starts going on first-name basis with her, stating that she does this with anyone she considers her equal. The fact that she had been doing this towards Shirogane and Ishigami without ever calling attention to it highlights just how much she actually appreciates how much they've been a shoulder for her to cry on.
- While batting, Shirogane very briefly starts to freakout at the possibility embarrassing himself in front of the others with his horrible batting form, right down to imagining them all mocking him using Kaguya's "How Cute" catchphrase. He ultimately ends up shaking away the thoughts and goes through with it anyway, and while the others do lightly make fun of him, they also encourage him and he gets better the more he does it. This a far cry from the guy who has repeatedly put Fujiwara through hell teaching him just so that he wouldn't look bad in front of others.
- Chapter 198: Ishigami, once again, turns to Kaguya for help with his studies. Kaguya addresses his lack of self-respect, giving him encouragement and offering strategies that best benefit him. On top of that, the rest of the student council (Hayasaka included) pitches in to help, and it ends with him placing 36th in his year. Kaguya's moved to tears, and even the narration twists a joke from an early chapter into a touching moment.
Kaguya: Well, I've been helping you, so that's a given.
Narration: That was a lie. This girl has been watching Ishigami's efforts the whole way through, and as such, she know more than any other person, that this was the result of his own hard work.
- Chapter 199: Thanks to some unhelpful words from Kashiwagi, Kaguya is afraid that Shirogane will lose interest in her now that he has her. It starts playing out like one of the earlier chapters where each of them is misunderstanding the other, but Kaguya hits the brakes and just talks to Shirogane about her worries, with Shirogane being honest in return. These two have come a long way since their countless days of mind games.
- Related to above, Shirogane's sudden drop to the 12th position in the final semester test isn't out of losing interest in Kaguya, but due to how he took her words to heart about not overexerting himself in his studies way back in Chapter 151.
- Kaguya's reaction is also to be noted for. In the past chapters, she was very competitive to get the first place in the second years, but once she did so in this chapter, her priority goes to Shirogane out of pure concern instead of celebrating it to herself.
- Chapter 201 provides a minor one, but Tsubame was revealed to have reached out to Momo in the past and had rescued her from being dropped out of the school. It makes her being one of the student VIPs who prevented Ogino from ever enrolling into Shuchi'in High School and spreading a false rumor to vindicate Ishigami being all the more Heartwarming in Hindsight. While the two have yet to meet each other, its likely that Momo is able to relate Ishigami's problems with her own personal issues as well.
- While it's definitely bittersweet in tone, Chapter 202 has some genuinely sweet moments as the younger students say goodbye to their senpais.
- Shirogane gets together the members of the old student council to throw a going away party for his predecessor. It's even the first time that we see Momo smile.
- Ishigami's tearful thank you to to Kazeno for everything that he's done for him in the short time that they've known each other.
- While Tsubame ultimately turns Ishigami down, she does so while tearfully, earnestly expressing how much she loves him as a friend and begs him to remain in her life. And while it's clearly not the answer he hoped to hear, Ishigami accepts the rejection gracefully and promises to maintain their friendship.
- Chapter 207 has Kei admitting to Kaguya that despite her brother's clumsiness, he is still someone that she idolizes.
- Kaguya bonding with the Shirogane family in Chapter 208 after paying a visit and spent the night in his house. She also went grocery shopping with Papa Shirogane and evidently no longer feared him.
- As Kaguya slept in the same room as the Shirogane siblings, she went to Miyuki and reassured him that she loves him for who he is when he still doubted that people generally looked up to him only for his academic success and not for his true self.
- In the updated Student Council Relationship Chart in Volume 20, Iino refers to Shirogane as "her beloved senpai." Kaguya's feelings for Ishigami are also listed as "treasures their relationship".
- Chapter 211 definitively shows that Ishigami's reputation has recovered thanks to Tsubame. When he introduces himself to his new class, boys and girls alike clap for him.
- After so many instances of Kaguya bemoaning that she isn't in the same class as Shirogane and Fujiwara, she finally gets her wish in the third year. The look of elation she has on her face completely sells it.
- And it's not just them, either; just about every named second-year student is in the same class, including Hayasaka and her friends, Maki, Kashiwagi and her boyfriend, and even Karen and Erika from We Want To Talk About Kaguya. Everyone is here!
- As it turns out, this was all planned by the principal, who had foreseen that Kaguya would face hardships moving forward. Thus, the best course of action was to fill her class with as many people that she could trust as possible. Even though his behavior can be unpredictable, this shows that he cares enough for Kaguya to want to support her in any way he can.
- Chapter 215 continues Shirogane's Character Development, when he just admits to Mikado and Tsubasa that he actually has no sexual and little romantic experience, and ran with the rumors that he did out of the belief that people would look down upon him if they knew the truth. By the end of it, they're all on a First-Name Basis with each other.
- Chapter 220 had a very mature take on consent, as while Shirogane definitely wants to have sex with Kaguya, he most certainly isn't going to do it if she isn't comfortable, and he even ensures her there is no need to rush things. Kaguya is incredibly comforted by his assurance and they adorably start kissing and sharing I love yous. They end up getting carried away and have sex anyway, but it still somehow feels tasteful because it was made clear that Kaguya was consenting (compared to when she was unsure) before the cutaway.
- The following chapter has Kaguya talking to Hayasaka about that night. Kaguya's take on the act is wholesome and well-grounded, explaining how sex isn't this crazy moment in life, but just a moment where the couple can just let go of their emotions and share their bonds with no regrets. Hayasaka happily freaking out about how far Kaguya has come is also particularly adorable.
- Chapter 223 has the primary couple finally admitting to the entire student council that they're dating. Ishigami and Iino, despite having known since they started, are still extremely happy and excited for their senpais, and adorably tease the two about their relationship. Ishigami and Iino's happiness is heartwarming in it of itself, but seeing how they both react to their senpais' relationship in such a joyful manner makes it even more heartwarming for everyone involved (except Fujiwara, who gets annoyed very quickly).
- Extra points for IshiMiko shippers: after they sit, they really look like a double date.
- Chapter 224 looks to be another disastrous "Fujiwara teaches Shirogane something" chapter with Fujiwara resigning herself to teaching Shirogane how to ballroom dance. However, aside from a few initial stepped toes, Shirogane is actually able to learn rather quickly and smoothly by drawing from what he learned from Fujiwara from their past lessons. Afterwards, while watching him practice dancing with Kaguya, she realizes that the reason she tried to reject their relationship was because she was afraid that their growth would mean they would mean her two best friends would leave her behind and officially gives her blessing to their relationship.
- Chapter 226 sees Fujiwara walk in on Iino's dejected daydreaming about Ishigami and, after a bit of obligatory (for Fujiwara) teasing, advises Iino to stop dithering and just go for it. When Iino protests that it's too soon after Tsubame turned him down, Fujiwara acknowledges the point, but tells Iino to at least get on Ishigami's radar for when he is ready (rightly countering that, now that he is popular, he will be receiving a great deal of attention).
- Chapter 227's interactions between Iino and Ishigami. Iino has completely discarded her shyness and adherence to morals and is shown to be extremely bold in her pursuit of Ishigami, to the point that she even scares Fujiwara, who was the one who urged her to do this in the first place. She comforts Ishigami by patting his head, and then she offers a Lap Pillow, which Ishigami gladly accepts (much to the onlooking Fujiwara's surprise). And then, when she opens up to Ishigami, about how hard she has it at home he comforts her back, which causes her to become all teary-eyed and flustered.
- After a pep-talk from Maki in Chapter 238, Ishigami casually asks Iino to be his partner for the exchange dance after Iino remarks that no one has asked her yet. However, Iino had in fact already been courted by a few suitors and turned all down because she was waiting for Ishigami to ask her. The end chapter results put it perfectly:
Narrator: After much persistence, Iino finally wins.
We Want To Talk About Kaguya
- Chapter 47. Karen and Erika disregard the rumors about Ishigami, treating him with kindness because they trust Shirogane and Kaguya's judgement. In their eyes, nobody picked for the student council could be a bad person.
- In chapter 78, Karen selflessly uses her artistic eye to record a moment of true happiness: Ishigami being comforted by the Cheer Team.