- Amy learning to become a mother for her geese.
- Amy and her father's growing relationship.
- The phenomenal lengths Tom goes to, in helping his daughter's beloved geese and agonizing over the setbacks along the way. Not so much because he's crazy about the geese themselves, but because he promised his little girl and can't bear even the thought of letting Amy down.
- Amy bonding with her dad's friends.
- The gorgeous paint job on Amy's ultralight, done to make it look more like a goose.
- The two African-American women who, spotting Amy's ultralight passing over their small town, hastily rush out into the intersection to frantically gesture and direct her back onto the correct course.
- The ending.
Heartwarming / Fly Away Home