A Shot in the Dark
- Bilbo's protectiveness of the Company, and their protectiveness of him.
- Beorn, Bard and Tauriel refusing to let Bilbo go to Mordor alone.
- While hiding in Dol Guldur from the Nazgûl, Bilbo tells Bard he could leave and go back to Laketown.
Bilbo: I certainly wouldn't blame you if you left.
Bard: I know you wouldn't. But I would blame myself enough for the both of us. [...] This kind of stuff just comes with the territory of being friends.
- The mention of Thranduil being furious when he found Tauriel badly injured by the Nazgûl.
Dwalin: He's a slimy old snake, but he does seem to keep his people in mind.
- Dori adopting Bilbo as his honorary brother.