- In the second episode, a worried Satou imagines that if he doesn't meet Misaki at the park tonight, then a masked pervert will molest her. Followed by the news media starting a witch hunt, blaming Satou for failing to protect his friend.
- The entire dream analysis. "C'mon, tell me about the snake with the rock-hard scales..."
- Satou's over-the-top proposal for his and Yamizaki's gal game's protagonist is so ludicrous and complex that it must be seen to be believed. JesuOtaku even used the audio from the scene to summarise the entirety of anime in less than a minute.
- It also arguably fits into the awesome category, too. The scene in the anime (links to dub) can be seen here.
- From Yamazaki's flashback: "Oh no, it's that retard tomboy! Quick, to our anti-retard fort!"
- BEGONE, DIRTY WHORES!
- "Yeah, well, begone yourself, asshole."
- "That was pathetic, Satou!"
- In one of Satou's delusional and paranoid nightmares, he dreams that Misaki is actually an evil, card carrying, not-quite-human agent of the NHK, who plans to seduce him into the hikikomori lifestyle forever, taunting him and cackling like a witch.
- At the end of the episode where Satou realizes that he's accidentally joined a suicide pact on a remote island, his final narration is "This is the worst vacation ever!".
- Misaki stopping Satou's suicide attempt, also doubles as heartwarming.Satou: I am nothing! I am just a rock on the side of the road! [About to jump]Misaki: You're wrong!Satou: [Stops] Eh?Misaki: You are not a rock on the side of the road! You are a human being! A flesh and blood, total failure of a human being!Satou: ...What?Misaki: A Hikikomori like you is more worthless than a stray dog! You are... you are the only person in the world more useless and a waste of space than I am! So... so... please, you can't die now... you just can't! I need you... I need you! [Cries]Satou: ...I'm jumping!
Satou (english dub): WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS SHIT?
- And then Yamazaki convinces Satou that jumping off a cliff is too dramatic a death for a loser like him.
- And then Satou slips and nearly falls off the cliff by accident.
- Even funnier is that this resurfaces at the end of the anime. Just as Satou was about to accomplish his Suicide Attack against "God/NHK", a grate breaks his fall... denying him a dramatic death. His response?
- Yamazaki was right.
- And then there's the whole Pyramid scheme business, it's actually pretty Truth in Television.
- "There sure are some stupid people in this world, Hahahah.... WAIT A SECOND, THAT'S US!"
- Satou downloading two hundred gigabytes of porn in one night. Two hundred gigabytes. Of porn. In one night!
- Keep in mind this was set up in an area before HD porn was common, and harddrive space has smaller. It's still impressive considering he only downloaded pictures.
- Activating Hyper Self-Pleasure Mode!
- His mom walked in while he's masturbating to porn on 5 or 6 computer monitors. This scene is sadly manga-exclusive.
- The MMORPG arc will have you laugh like a lunatic while simultaneously bringing out the Big "NO!". All those games go like that. Search your feelings, you know it to be true.
- The "Dame dame dame Ningen" (Failure of a Human) song while Satou is doing nothing but playing his game.
- Misaki's awkward attempts at getting a game-addicted Satou's attention, by dressing in strange costumes.
- Yamazaki enters Satou's apartment and reveals that he was "Mia" all along. Yamazaki manages to snap Sato back to his senses, and destroys his delusions about making money through the MMO game, by warning him of a hypothetical Bad Future:
- Satou might permanently become an even worse loser, by living with his parents for the next 30 years, and would turn into a hideously obese shell of his former self, still playing the same game all day and night. He would lose all of his friends and family, eventually starving to death alone. Also counts as Nightmare Fuel, and would've been a Tear Jerker if it actually did happen.
- Two words: Trap Yamazaki.
- The fact that Satou get's so pissed off at his neighbor that he temporary get's over his mental illness just to scream at him.
- Satou's "ХУṄ" T-shirt - triumph of explicit Russian profanity in a Japanese anime.
Funny / Welcome to the N.H.K.