- "I'm allergic to peanut butter." "Since when?" "Birth."
- Followed by Ray offering both Rachel and Robbie plain sandwiches, to which they both insist they're not hungry. Then he angrily throws the bread slices at the window.
- And when Ray discovers that Robbie's "food" packing consists of nothing but condiments, to which Robbie retorts that's all that was in the house.
- When Rachel announces she has to go to the bathroom:Ray: Stay where I can see you.Rachel: Are you crazy? I'm not going in front of you guys!Ray: I'm not gonna look, just stay in sight!Rachel: THAT'S LOOKING!
- When a man starts attacking their car:Ray: He wants a ride.Rachel: Can we give him one?Ray: ...No.
- It's a pretty dark moment, but Ogilvy's "dead set on living" line is Actually Pretty Funny.
- "Okay, now come up with a plan that doesn't involve your ten-year-old sister joining the Army!" Which like the above example happens during a very dramatic scene and probably wasn't meant to be that funny, but it is.
- Meta example. While shooting the scene where Ray and the kids are in the water, while the Tripods are plucking civilians one by one, Steven Spielberg and John Williams pulled a prank on Cruise, Fanning, Chatwin and the extras in the water at the time, by playing the theme from Jaws over the loudspeakers.
- Also meta: Dakota Fanning was asked in an interview whether she would want to meet aliens if they really existed. Her answer? "No! Stay away!"
- While driving away from the Tripods Ray tries to explain to Robbie what's attacking everything:Robbie: What is it? Is it terrorists?Ray: These came from some place else.Robbie: What do you mean, like, Europe?Ray: No, Robbie, not like Europe!
- Immediately preceeding this scene, Rachel cries/screams "is it the terrorists?" too, in what may now seem a Hilarious in Hindsight manner.
- Tom Cruise getting stuffed up an alien's butt.
- One of the aliens—these monstrous invaders who have been destroying everything, exterminating human life on a grand scale and trying to take over the planet—playing with a discarded bicycle in an inquisitive manner. And then getting startled when the bicycle drops in front of it. How terrifying.
Funny / War of the Worlds