- When David and Jennifer first arrive on Falken's island they are dive bombed by a Pterodactyl. It's not as weird as it sounds.
- Also, a bit of dark humor, to be sure. As JOSHUA/WOPR is preparing to launch the nukes, and it has become readily apparent that preventing it would be difficult, to say the least, General Beringer, who was opposed to the WOPR system in the first place, decides it's the appropriate time to give his evaluation of its efficacy.General Beringer: (smirking triumphantly) Mr. McKittrick, after very careful consideration, sir, I've come to the conclusion that your new defense system sucks.
McKittrick: I don't have to take that, you pig-eyed sack of shit.
General Beringer: Oh, I was hoping for something a little better than that from you, sir. A man of your education.
- You also have Beringer's proposal: "I'd piss on a spark plug if I thought it'd do any good!" ad-libbed by Barry Corbin.
- Also features the general telling the computer tech to not run in the war room. "Someone might get hurt." That might also be a Shout-Out to Dr. Strangelove's "You can't fight in here, this is the War Room!" line.
- When Falken and McKittrick meet.Falken: John, good to see you! I see the wife still picks your ties.
- How David scams to get sent to the principal's office: insulting the biology teacher...Teacher: All right, Lightman. Maybe you could tell us who first suggested the idea of reproduction without sex.
David: Um... your wife?
- Some of the film crew can be heard laughing as well; they weren't aware of the joke prior to filming; director John Badham decided to leave the laughter in.
- Eddie Deezen and Maury Chaykin codifying computer geekdom for Hollywood.
- General Beringer shows why trying to hold two conversations at once, especially when one is with the President of the United States, is not a wise idea:Beringer: (on the phone) Mr. President, we have forty-eight nuclear subs closing in on the United States, and a hundred thousand troops massing in East Germany. We're monitoring their bombers that are on alert... (airman hands Beringer a report) Well, that's a load of shit! (into phone) Oh, no, no, sir. Not you.
- In the beginning sequence, there is a sign next to the door to the missile launch room that reads, "Anyone urinating in this area will be discharged".
- Falken's frantic hand gestures to David and Jennifer ("COME ON!!") from inside his helicopter.
- Two blink-and-you'll-miss-them allusions to drug use in the US military:
Lawson: Primo stuff, resin city.
- In the opening sequence, the missile bunker crew arrive at work discussing an acquaintance who cultivates potent marijuana by chanting mantras over the seeds.
Dictaphone: ...patients' eyes are dilated consistent with use of marijuana, and possibly PCP...
- The dictaphone that David finds while sealed in the NORAD infirmary:
- Just before the simulated nukes hit, General Beringer contacts the watch officers at the bases that will be hit first. They are two colonels and one young airman who sounds terrified at the prospect of both the incoming nuclear attack and having to talk to a four star general. Then, after the revelation the nukes were indeed fake, the colonels stoically report no impact occurred, while the airman is much less professional.Airman Dougherty: Yeah, we're here! Jesus H. Christ, we're still here!
- When Jennifer says, "'Connection terminated.' How rude!" She seems genuinely surprised that a computer would be so blunt.
Funny / WarGames