- At the start of the movie, Maverick and Goose see a Russian MIG harassing their wingman. They're not allowed to fire first, so Maverick decides to, "have some fun with him." His idea of "fun" is flying upside-down right above the enemy plane. When the Russian looks up, Maverick gives him the bird, and Goose takes a Polaroid photo to commemorate the moment. The MIG pilot promptly flies away, thoroughly freaked out by the crazy stunt.
- And then Goose accidentally gives the finger to Charlie while recounting the incident.
- Maverick's list of offenses when Stinger is chewing him and Goose out:Stinger: What you should have done was land your plane! You don't own that plane, the tax payers do! Son, your ego is writing checks your body can't cash. You've been busted, you lost your qualifications as section leader three times, put in hack twice by me, with a history of high speed passes over five air control towers, and one admiral's daughter!Goose (whispering): ...Penny Benjamin?Maverick: (shrugs nervously)
- Two parts during the Final Battle with the MIGs:
- Iceman shooting down a MIG, followed by Slider saying this line.Slider: Wash that sucker, yeah!
- Maverick is down to one missile with a MIG dead on his tail. He then intentionally slows down his plane.Merlin: What are you doing? You're slowing down! You're slowing down!Maverick: I'm bringing him in closer, Merlin.Merlin: You're gonna do WHAT?!
- Iceman shooting down a MIG, followed by Slider saying this line.
- When Maverick does a fly-by that causes Air Boss Johnson to spill his coffee on himself, first after Maverick defeats Jester then after the Final Battle.Johnson: Goddamn that son of a bitch!
- After the first fly-by, Johnson chews out Viper over the lack of discipline among his students. Upon leaving Viper's office, he runs into someone carrying some cups of coffee, resulting in getting it spilled on him again.Johnson: TWO OF YOUR SNOT-NOSED JOCKEYS DID A FLY-BY ON MY TOWER AT OVER 400 KNOTS! I WANT SOMEBODY'S BUTT! I WANT IT NOW! I'VE HAD IT! (crash) DAMMIT! THAT'S TWICE! I WANT SOME BUTTS!
- And right after Johnson bumped into the guy with cups of coffee and getting spilled on, Viper's reaction is, "...Well, that just about covers the fly-bys."
- After the first fly-by, Johnson chews out Viper over the lack of discipline among his students. Upon leaving Viper's office, he runs into someone carrying some cups of coffee, resulting in getting it spilled on him again.
- After one of Maverick's many stunts, Goose is spazzing out and asks Maverick what he thinks of Goose learning to be a truck driver after they get kicked out of the Navy. Goose considers this career option based entirely on the fact that he saw a commercial for a truck driving school on TV.
- Maverick pickups Charlie "You've lost that lovin' feeling, with the other aviators as chorus.
- Maverick suavely introduces himself (as Maverick) to Charlie, who promptly asks him if his parents liked him. Given that her job is revealed to center around military aviation, and they are in a Navy town, it becomes clear in retrospect that she was making a joke at Maverick's expense.Maverick: I'm going to need a beer to put these flames out. Yo! Great Mav, real slick.
- After getting beaten during one of the exercises, Goose adds his snarky commentary:Goose: The Defense Department regrets to inform you that your sons are dead because they were stupid.
- After Charlie pretends to turn down Maverick's date, Slider says to Maverick, "Crashed and burned, huh, Mav?" Maverick then goes to Slider and sniffs him, saying, "Slider... You stink." Slider then sniffs himself.
Funny / Top Gun