- The lineup scene. Bryan Singer knew that would be a major part of the film, so the actors did take after take. Eventually, they got bored and started goofing around and acting annoyed just like people who were really pulled into a police lineup would. The line they had to read didn't help, and the actors had a hard time keeping a straight face saying it repeatedly (before Fenster's delivery, everyone even starts laughing and he has to be bumped to remember to say the line). To make things worse, one of the actors ate something earlier that made him a farting machine (Kevin Pollak claims the guilty party was Benicio del Toro, but del Toro only says that "someone" ruined twelve takes in a row by farting). Everything fell apart from there.
- Hockney gives a straight reading, but then McManus sets the tone for the rest of the lineup:
- Fenster's strange, unidentifiable accent causes problems with his reading (the detective's reaction, and Fenster's reaction to that, were unscripted):Fenster: Hanmeedakeys ya cogsucka.
Detective: In English, please.
Fenster: Excuse me?
Detective: In English.
Fenster: Hanmeedafugginkeys ya cogsucka! What da fuck...
- Then Keaton gives a reading, and finally it's Verbal's turn:Verbal: [in a thoroughly bored voice] Hand me the keys, you fucking cocksucker.
- The scene is so funny it ends up being a bit of Fridge Brilliance, as all the crooks realize "These guys are alright. We should pull a job together!"
- McManus's version of "Old Macdonald".And on that farm he... shot some guys. Bada boom bada bing bang boom.
- This bit:Agent Kujan: Who's Keyser Söze?!
Verbal: Ah, fuck!
- Hockney, as per his role, gets some pretty good zingers:Cop: You know what happens if you do another turn in the joint?Hockney: (shrugging casually) I fuck your father in the shower and have a snack. Are you gonna charge me, dickhead?
- McManus before that:McManus: What truck?Detective: The truck with the guns, fucko!McManus: Fucko? (mock shudders)
- And:Fenster: Guy had his finger up my asshole tonight.Hockney: Is it Friday already?
- Fenster's interrogation.Fenster: Say who?Cop: McManus. He told us something else entirely.Fenster: Oh, was that the one about, uh, the hooker with, uh, dysentery?
- And after Verbal's description:Cop: What are you saying?Fenster: I said he'll flip ya.Cop: He'll what?Fenster: (makes arm motion) Flip ya. Flip ya for real.Cop: (sarcastically) Yeah I'm shaken. Come on.Fenster: Ok.Cop: Answer my question.Fenster: Can ya hear me in the back? (taps on desk three times) Hello?
- And after Verbal's description:
- Kobayashi revealing that Hockney was the one who hijacked the truck in Queens. The others look at him and he shrugs as if to say, "Yeah, what of it?"
Funny / The Usual Suspects