Warning: Spoilers Off applies to this page. Proceed at your own risk.
open/close all folders
Series as a whole:
- One must face it, having the former king renamed "Trash" and former first princess "Bitch" is funny all by itself.
- The manga makes it more satisfying by having Motoyasu attempting to white-knight Myne (now "Bitch"):Motoyasu: I don't care what everyone says I will always believe in you My...
Mirelia: [Gives Motoyasu a Death Glare that makes him stop dead in his tracks.]
Motoyasu: I mean Bitch!
- To add a layer of irony, Motoyasu became the first to call her by her new name.
- The look on Myne's face as it sinks in that yes, Bitch is now indeed her name and Naofumi's subsequent satisfaction is priceless!
- In the anime, the Queen herself has a moment where she forgets to call Bitch by her new legal name.
- The anime dub adds this little nugget of dialogue:Myne: My name's not Bitch!
Naofumi: It is now, and you'll be called that for the rest of your life.
- The manga makes it more satisfying by having Motoyasu attempting to white-knight Myne (now "Bitch"):
- Naofumi versus an Orange Balloon (possibly the weakest monster around). At first, seeing it gnawing ineffectively at his arm, Naofumi is confident and punches it... Only for his fist to bounce back. So, he decides to go all out:"ORA ORA ORA ORA ORA!"
I channeled my inner martial artist and pummeled the Orange Balloon with my fists.
Then, after five minutes...*Pop!*
It finally split open.
- To makes things worse, Ren passes by immediately after and casually kills three Orange Balloons with a single slash. The final strike to his confidence in his fighting ability comes when two more show up and Myne easily kills them with her sword.
- During episode 2 of the anime a Freeze-Frame Bonus reveals that Naofumi uses his Legendary Weapon's ability to absorb materials to clean up after giving Raphtalia a haircut.
- In the novel this actually unlocks a shield for him: The Raccoon Shield.
- The Slave Trader noticing that Raphtalia Is All Grown Up:Slave Trader: Still... I'm amazed you helped that scrawny bag of bones grow so much in such a short time. Even if she's not a virgin, she's guaranteed to fetch you twenty gold pieces.
Raphtalia: [Offended] I am a virgin!
Slave Trader: [Enthusiastically] Thirty-five, then!
Naofumi: [Pretends to consider it] Thirty-five gold pieces, huh?
Raphtalia: [Angry] Naofumi-sama!
- Because Naofumi has failed to notice Raphtalia's growth, he still orders her the same kid's meal as before. When Raphtalia objects, Naofumi states that despite her trying to act mature, he can tell she still wants one really. Her blush implies he's right.
- After a race at Ryuut Village, Sore Loser Motoyasu insults Filo and gets kicked in the groin. The scene also marks the first time Naofumi has laughed since Malty's betrayal. He tells Filo that from then on, she is to kick Motoyasu whenever she sees him.
- In both the Manga and Anime, the kick not only occurs before the race, but the Lightning Dragon Motoyasu would ride was utterly startled by Motoyasu sailing over it!
- Happens again when Motoyasu flirts with Filo in her human form, and insults "the fat bird":Filo: [Transforms] I hate you spear guy!
Motoyasu: Huh? Y-You were that fat bir...?
- Even better in the anime: After the first encounter, he's wearing additional armor over his crotch, something Naofumi immediately asks him about. Said armor is completely ineffective and flies off when Filo kicks him again.
- The original web novel went even further. Apparently while the Shield team was traveling in the carriage, they repeatedly crossed paths with Motoyasu's party and each time Filo would speed up to deliver a kick. Naofumi, who was always busy working on his alchemy, never noticed any of the times. One encounter can even be witnessed in-story where Filo makes some noise, speeds up, and there's a despairing cry of "Motoyasu-sama!"
- Team Naofumi's encounter with the bandits in episode 6 is a big Humiliation Conga for the latter ones. First they end up being curb-stomped by Raphtalia and Filo, even with a class-upgraded fighter in their ranks. Then after they gloat and say they will walk away free once they mention it was the Shield Hero that caught them, Naofumi orders Filo to eat them. They immediately start begging for their lives and offer everything they have to Naofumi in order to be spared. Cut to a scene where they personally put their stolen belongings on Naofumi's carriage.
- Filo's reasons to try and get a gagocco's egg for Naofumi in Episode 7.Filo: If I take a rare delicacy to Master, I know he'll like me more and more. I'm sure he'll pet me, and brush my hair, and become my mate forever!
Raphtalia: B-become your mate?!
- Naofumi's deadpan and calm reaction when he suspects that Filo may have eaten Melty during episode 9.Naofumi: Okay, Raphtalia. We both saw nothing. Let's just burn the evidence and forget all of this ever happened.
- What makes it even better in the Original Sub, is the small and terrified little "Yes?" from Raphtalia just before he says this. It's the Voice Acting that sells it.
- Then comes the revelation that Melty actually wasn’t eaten, but found it appropriate to strip down to the buff and burrow into Filo’s feathers to sleep.
- What makes it even better in the Original Sub, is the small and terrified little "Yes?" from Raphtalia just before he says this. It's the Voice Acting that sells it.
- Naofumi's reaction and subsequent response to Itsuki's self-righteousness in episode 10 is priceless.Itsuki: Someone needs to be taught that with great power Comes Great Responsibility.
Naofumi: [Does a Spit Take all over Filo.]
Itsuki: What's so funny?
Naofumi: Oh, I just didn't know you'd been bitten by a spider.
Itsuki: Bitten by a spider?
- Also doubles as Fridge Brilliance: In the web novel it is eventually revealed that all the heroes come from different realities, though the anime reveals this in the first episode.
- Episode 12: Glass referring to the other three heroes as Naofumi's "servants". The sheer indignation in the trio's faces before going ballistic at her in a temper tantrum is a sight to behold.
- After freeing a gigantic and incredibly powerful monster from the seal a group of past Heroes had trapped, Idol shouts that he's now unstoppable. The monster promptly stomps on him.
- Episode 21: When sparing Malty and Aultcray from execution, Naofumi frames it as Cruel Mercy and an opportunity to have fun at their expense.
- Malty is so thick-headed that she sincerely thinks that begging Naofumi for mercy would work, so Naofumi jokes that her neck is too dense to be cut off (which the immediate audience laughs at).
- He proclaims that their new names shall be "Bitch" and "Trash", respectively, and their expressions on their faces are priceless. This is made all the more hilarious by the fact that their expressions are framed by guillotines.
- Mirelia remarks that Malty often uses "Myne" as a adventurer alias, so Naofumi changes that to "Whore". The queen agrees, and solemnly proclaims that Malty's new name is "Bitch" with the adventurer's name of "Whore".
- Episode 22:
- It turns out the Queen is every bit a fan of Filorials (and Fitoria in particular) as her younger daughter.
- Malty's new name has yet to settle in with everyone else, as evident during the council meeting where both the Three Heroes and the queen stutter regarding using it properly and not the old name out of habit.
- The sheer outrage and panic that the "Old Man" blacksmith erupts into after Naofumi & Co commence a massive piracy-overhaul of his shield-stock after the latter discovers "Weapon Copy" the night before. The cherry on the top comes as he, begrudgingly, decides to put the combined prices for all of the shields Naofumi copied (read: all of them) on the latter's tab.
- While Naofumi is in council with the Queen and the other three heroes, a drunk Mald decides to provoke Raphtalia yet again by insulting Naofumi. When we return later, it’s evolved into a full-on Ballroom Brawl, with all the hero parties fighting each other. Meanwhile Filo is happily eating like nothing’s happening.
- Raphtalia gets a good line too:
- Episode 23:
- L'Arc and Therese don't believe Naofumi is the Shield Hero but a guy using the Shield Hero's name as an alias because they can tell at first sight Naofumi is a good guy... but the Shield Hero is a sadist manipulator with friends in high places that would execute anyone for him. Naofumi agrees that his description of the Shield Hero is not far off the mark...
- Naofumi is summoned by the captain alongside the other three Heroes, so he decides to tell them what he found out... Except the others are too seasick to listen to him.
- Then Filo starts kicking Sharks onto the ship. One lands on Motoyasu. Naofumi is merely surprised she can swim so well, much to Itsuki's annoyance and dismay.
- Filo's method of fishing is already funny on its own... But then the fish smell makes Ren's sickness worse.
- The other Heroes' faces when L'Arc shows up and informs everyone there's a storm coming.
- Once everyone's arrived at Cal Mira, Naofumi is musing on how Raphtalia didn't get seasick while the carriage gave her motion sickness... Then Bitch brings about Motoyasu, in a pose as if he was dead, with Bitch's movements (as her face isn't seen) showing she's completely done with this madness.Motoyasu: Th-This isn't what it looks like, Filo-tan! There's a reason...
- Habenburg, Cal Mira's governor, arrives to welcome the Heroes and bring them to their inn... Then Ren is brought about on a stretcher, and Habenburg states that for now he'll bring only Naofumi.
- Drunk Raphtalia. She even has Naofumi's expressions.
- Naofumi's inability to get drunk, eating berries known for their ungodly high alcohol content.note
- Motoyasu tries one of those fruits unaware of what it is... and falls over foaming at the mouth. All while Naofumi keeps eating them like peanuts.
- Therese decides that the bracelet Naofumi made her was so high quality, she gives him all of her money as payment. Naofumi asks if it was really worth that much, which she agrees. She says it's worth more than that and tries to get L'arc to give all of his money to Naofumi as well, much to his protests. Naofumi just dryly remarks how he'll put them on a payment plan.
- While Naofumi is thinking about exploring the submerged island found by Filo, Raphtalia arrives with a bikini hoping to impress him... and all he thinks about is how she'd be fine dressed like that if the immersion suit leaked.
- The fact said suit is a penguin costume with a Santa hat.
- Fortunately (for her) she thinks he's complimenting her looks and happily wags her tail.
- Ren desperately clinging to the mast of a ship for most of the Wave in terror because he can't swim. Coming from Ren, the expression of fear is hilarious.
- In episode 25, Glass being a mean drunk but being unable to fight because she's too drunk.Glass: What are you two thinking?! If we don't end Naofumi now— ulgh.
L'Arc: Save it for when you're not about to throw up.
- There's a Funny Background Event in Episode 2. When Ost is about to give Rishia some advice about how to get together with her crush fast, you can see Raphtalia's Expressive Ears twitching in attention.
- When Kizuna tells Naofumi she’s 18 in episode 7, Naofumi almost calls her a loli hag in disbelief before stopping himself. Unfortunately, Kizuna knew what he was about to say and angrily calls him out on it, much to Raphtalia and Rishia’s confusion.
- Some of Naofumi’s interactions with Kizuna have them use terminology from their world, such as a bug in a video game, which mostly flies over Raphtalia and Rishia’s heads.
- During episode 11, after regrouping with each other, Naofumi learns from Therese that L’Arc is actually a king in the country they're in after hearing an attendant refer to him as "young master". L’Arc finds this embarrassing. So Naofumi calls him this repeatedly as payback for constantly calling him "lad"/"kiddo". This leads to an Embarrassing Nickname "duel", with L’Arc getting increasingly flustered while Naofumi is cool as a cucumber.
- In the flashback of Motoyasu's assault on the Spirit Turtle we see him and his party casually blasting their way through its familiars, then they climb on its head and Motoyasu unleashes a Lightning Spear at point blank... To no effect. He then attacks again and again to no avail while Bitch and the others look impassively until she realizes it's useless, at which point the girls bail while Motoyasu continues to attack without noticing.
- In hindsight, the fact Motoyasu thought they had died because they had walked out on him while he was busy attacking the Spirit Turtle.
- Right after Motoyasu teleported away from Naofumi, he stumbles on Ren in a tavern and asks for his help against the Spirit Phoenix. Cue Malty coming out of nowhere, inexplicably wearing the leather armor she had at her debut rather than the more expensive armor she conned from Naofumi, and telling an enormous chain of lies, claiming that Motoyasu too raped her and that Naofumi is responsible for the death of Ren's party.
- Naofumi is about to jump Malty... Then Motoyasu comes in and sees her all over Ren, asks her where she was, and calls her Mein, only to correct himself and call her Slut. Something Malty immediately uses as proof he repeatedly raped her.
- Ren being so delusional about what happend to his party that he buys Malty's lies.
- And then a later episode reveals that a few days days later Ren woke up with all that he wasn't wearing stolen and Malty not only leaving him just a mocking letter but having sold him out to people from another world that want to kill the Cardinal Heroes.
- After the latest incident with Malty, Motoyasu has finally wised up to her and was catatonic until he saw Filo sing and dance. At which point he hugs her in gratitude, much to her horror.
- Naofumi grabbing Motoyasu and telling him to just train.
- The next day Naofumi has decided that Motoyasu isn't ready to come with them and thus they should report to Mirellia and leave. Then he opens the door of his room - and finds Motoyasu calling him "father". Naofumi slams the door in his face.
- Motoyasu barges in, still calling Naofumi "Father"... And then asks for Filo's hand in marriage.
- Filo is scared of how Motoyasu is acting and hides behind Raphtalia, that tries to reason with him... But he calls her "tanuki pig". Next scene has Motoyasu lying after being beaten up by Raphtalia and the Shield Hero party just leaving.
- Naofumi is walking in a forest using himself as bait for a bandit gang that only attacks lone people when he hears an explosion, so he goes to investigate... And finds Motoyasu with his Spear having a dark aura fighting Ren in a mask and a new evil-looking armor. Naofumi's WTF face after Motoyasu calls him "father" again and the revelation Ren is the bandit leader is priceless (at least until he realizes Ren is under the effect of the Curse Series).
- Under the effect of the Curse Series of Greed and Gluttony, Ren declares himself stronger than Naofumi, Motoyasu, or Naofumi's party... Without noticing that Eclair is there. She schools him so hard he breaks out of the Curse Series' effects.
- After Ren wakes up from the curbstomping Eclair gave him, the two guys hunting for the Heroes, that were previously killed by S'yne Lokk, show up to fight. Naofumi, knowing their strength and that with himself debuffed by a curse and Ren tired, they'll have serious trouble, is worried even before one of them summons a giant meteor... Then Motoyasu casually kills the meteor summoner and his meteor pops out in smoke, and then easily kills the other too as everyone looks in shock. He also acts like nothing as he proclaims his loyalty to his "Father" while covered in the two enemies' blood.
- Filo's terrified reaction after Motoyasu calls out to her again and causes both her and Rishia to run away screaming. Probably doesn't help that he was covered in blood at the time.
Atla: That was an incredible scream.
- Atla and Fohl's reactions to this moment are also hilarious.
Fohl: The Spear Hero's a weird guy, isn't he?
- Atla waiting for her brother to fall asleep so she can tie him up and sneak into Naofumi's bed.
- The flashback of the old Gaelion, a dragon, raising Wyndia, a demi-human baby... Or rather trying to figure out how:
- Wyndia is crying, so Gaelion brings her a lot of fish to eat. She still cries.
- Next, he brings her a small hoard of jewels and crystals. She still cries.
- Next he lift her to figure out what's this demi-human's problem... And she calms down, as she wanted to be cuddled.
- The next scene is Gaelion wandering the forest on his four legs and roaring at a cliff... And Wyndia imitating him. Somehow, by the next scene she's walking on two legs and talks.
- Upon learning that Carmia Island has a Dragon Hourglass, and a Wave is due to come in a little over two days, Ren strangely tries to bow out. When questioned as to why by the other heroes, he shouts that of course he can swim, why would you even ask that? Completely deadpan, Motoyasu and Itsuki proceed to grab him, frogmarch him outside and toss him into shallow water to test the obvious conclusion. He's drowning in less than waist high waters.
- In chapter 42 of the Manga, when Queen Mirella is giving her thanks to the one who gave her the idea to make the attacking heroes drunk, we're then treated to the silly sight of Risha, in her Squirrel Costume, straddling two Lucor Fruit Barrels and uttering her trademark ''Fueee''.Mirellia: Yes, the one who Gallantly clings to the Lucor filled barrel... That Person.
"That person": Fueeeeeeeee~
- In chapter 44 of the manga, amidst the drama involving Itsuki and Rishia, Naofumi tries to confront a seemingly-perving (though innocent in this case) Motoyasu about what's going on, and when the accusations inevitably get flung about, Moto's response is along the lines of, "I wouldn't do such a thing! I'm not you!" Opening an old wound like that results in an absolutely unhinged Death Glare from Naofumi as Motoyasu immediately stumbles and takes his words back.
- In chapter 101, Naofumi finds out that the nobles of Siltvelt have given their daughters to the slave trader for them to be sold to Naofumi as bridal candidates. Naofumi tells them to go home and never come back with the flatest expression, showing he is not impressed.
A Day in the Life of the Shield Hero
- In Chapter One, we have Raphtalia accidentally eating all the Cooked Fish and trying to catch one bare-handed... Only to get it down her Tunic.
- While that was happening, Naofumi was "ambushed" by an Orange Balloon, an Usapill, and a Mush, the former trying to take revenge... And didn't even wake him up. By the time Naofumi gets up and finds Raphtalia, he's being dogpiled by Monsters, who are doing Zilch to Naofumi.
- Let's not forget that while Naofumi was asleep, he dreamed of the Three Heroes approaching him, seemingly raring to take something from him... Only to start petting him. That not only wakes him up, but his expression also terrifies the Balloon that had been trying to maim him!
- Let's not forget the part where they got food poisoning from eating poisonous Mushrooms.
- In chapter 2, we're treated with Gems like the Innkeeper being given the Side eye for teaching Raphtalia Table Manners ''alone'', Ren accidentally getting pelted with Tomatos and Ren's party revealing how Ren keeps getting lost in the weirdest of places, and the Innkeeper questioning Ren's actual age.
- Not to mention Ren forgetting to keep track of his funds, and having his party pay for the Room and Board anyway... After telling them not to expect ''him'' to pay for everything.
- In Chapter 4, the Group runs out of money. When Raphtalia asks why, we're treated to the sight of a Stuffed to the gills Filo looking proud of herself.
- In Chapter 5, we're treated to the sight of the Gagocco Hen having this Hilarious WTF Face as well as her flying away with the nest.
- In chapter 6, we're treated to a retelling of the events of the Fight with the Zombie Dragon and Naofumi unlocking the shield of rage from Raphtalia's point of view... Before Filo interrupts and asks how Naofumi returned to normal, causing Raphtalia to wake up.
- What makes it better is that just after Raphtalia wakes up, Naofumi immediately starts fussing over her, making her think she's still dreaming, to Naofumi's Chagrin.
- After Naofumi heals a Young Girl of the Parasite plant, Raphtalia can be seen glaring at the Girl.
- Apparently, Naofumi has a habit of announcing the presence of Monsters like how it would in a Videogame.
- In Chapter 10, we're treated to Naofumi trying on his new barbarian armor, and Filo giving Naofumi sunglasses and asking him to "Ride her". And that's Before getting to the flashback sequence.
- In chapter 11, a man asks Ren to defeat a monster, but turns it down since he can't swim.
- Naofumi being the only person not punished by the women in Cal Mira for peeking at them in the hot springs and the rest of the men saying he should due to guilt by association.
- L'Arc fearing he's losing out to Naofumi because of Therese and her admiration of Naofumi's accessory making skills. It becomes worse when Naofumi shows off his cooking skills as well.
- Everyone commenting on how Naofumi, despite his demeanor, goes above and beyond for the children in his village and acts like their Mother.
- Naofumi compares Motoyasu collecting filolials to collecting Pokémon.
- The Demon King Dragon's influence on Naofumi causes his attitude to revert back to how it was before he was betrayed by Bitch. Everyone agrees it is unsettling and that Naofumi needs to go back to his anti-social self.
- Naofumi asks Erhard to try and remake Raphtalia's miko outfit from the other world for no other reason than it appealing to his old otaku nature.
- Any and all of Naofumi's monologues revolving around Raph-chan.
- Ruftmila, the puppet king of Q'ten Lo, is revealed to be a child. Naofumi easily wins him over with Raph-chan.
- Chapter 79 has Naofumi meet the guard whose clothes he signed earlier on. He finds out they were stolen from fanatics from Silt Welt and shakes his hand in apology, but then worries if they'll steal the guard's hand next after he touched it.
- Chapter 197 of the web novel. When Naofumi and co. finally corner a curse series afflicted Ren, he keeps pointing out how the latter is acting like a Chuunibyou. Ren was already trying his damnedest to be a cool swordsman prior to this, now he seems to be trying a bit too hard.
- The end of chapter 216 has Naofumi chased by an "army" of Filorials Queens that Motoyasu hatched, and has to be rescued by Firo. The succeeding chapter 217 has him refer to the whole incident as something "straight out of his darkest nightmares".
- Naofumi's reactions in chapter 217. He stumbles upon a meeting consisting of Filo, Melty, and some other Filorials discussing how to win his affections. A few days later, even Atlas and the other slaves join in on a discussion about Naofumi's "preferred type".Naofumi: They plan to conquer me!? Cut the crap!
- Chapter 218: Kiel really likes Naofumi's crepes.
- Chapter 233: A brief one. Naofumi needed a moment to remember what Witch's original name was, since he had used her Bitch/Witch alias for so long.
- Chapters 275 through 290, the New Seven Deadly Sins Arc. Naofumi unlocks a Cursed Series based on a modern day version of the Seven Deadly Sins and becomes a Mad Scientist due to the Cursed Series influence, complete with speaking in Ye Olde Butcherede Englishe. After a group of demi-humans, Filo, and Motoyasu side with Naofumi, Raphtalia leads the remaining demi-humans, Ren, and Itsuki into battle in order to raid Naofumi's floating Bioplant castle to free him from the Cursed Series.
- When Naofumi comes to his senses, he is mortified over what he has done and tries to do damage control, only to find out that everything he did when under the influence of the Cursed Series was beneficial, such as creating trees that produce bread and crepes.
- Chapter 347: To get back at Naofumi for rubbing in how much responsibility she has as the new Queen, Melty makes him Archduke/Royal Magistrate of Melromarc. This backfires spectacularly when Trash reveals that this means Naofumi is now legally obligated to marry her as the former did with Queen Mirelia.
- Chapter 376. On the day of Naofumi and Raphtalia's wedding back in his world, the reincarnated Atlas tries to steal him away from the altar, leading to a Lover Tug of War. All the while his family, friends and the priest curse Naofumi for having two beauties fight over him. Even Naofumi has to laugh at the craziness.
- Chapter 377. Naofumi takes a good hard look at the "God Tree" to see that it's actually Kiel's crepe tree having grown enormous from time passing. He's still just as tempted to burn it down as he was centuries ago.
- There's a heavy implication that Kiel's descendants are just as crepe-crazy as her, having created an entire religion around caring for and protecting the now-giant crepe tree.