- "If you kill me a thousand more will take my place."
"But that isn't the point, is it? The point is, you'll be dead."
- The Rite of AshkEnte. When Galder Weatherwax first suggests it, instead of the "No, no, not that!" response he was expecting, the other wizards simply go, "Sure, why not?" Then when they summon Death, the reaper has a cocktail ("I was at a party."). Finally, after some exposition (During which Death refuses to go along with Weatherwax's attempts at drama), Death is allowed to leave;Weatherwax: I hope it is a good party.Death: At the moment it is. I think it might go downhill very quickly at midnight.Weatherwax: Why?Death: That's when they think I'll be taking my mask off.
- Funny by itself, but funnier if you know "The Masque of the Red Death"
- And it leads to wizard Greyhald Spold's attempt at creating the perfect hermetically-sealed anti-Death hiding place. Pity about the lack of air holes...Death: Dark in here, isn't it?
- Rincewind and Twoflower are fleeing Death's house while the Four Horsemen are distracted by an unusual card game that Twoflower has just taught them.Rincewind: How long will that keep them busy?Twoflower: I don't know. Probably until the last trump...
- The entire digression on Henna the Barbarian, and how this is the part where the writer starts slavering about black leather "and whips and chains and thighboots until the artist needs to have a lie down", but here, she's just wearing sensible riding boots. Which might be leather, but not black.
- Some pages later, it's mentioned she's allergic anyway.
- Rincewind is dangling over the drop inside the Tower of Art, clutching desperately to Twoflower who lets out a rare moment of Deadpan Snarker:Rincewind: If youre going to suggest I try dropping twenty feet down a pitch dark tower in the hope of hitting a couple of greasy little steps which might not even still be there, you can forget it.Twoflower: There is an alternative, then.Rincewind: Out with it, man.Twoflower: You could drop five hundred feet down a pitch black tower and hit stones which certainly are there.Rincewind: (dead silence) That was sarcasm.
Funny / The Light Fantastic