- In Basil's first appearance, he hands Dawson a pistol. Dawson takes it, then realises what it is, and hurriedly turns it around so it's not aimed at him.
- The way Basil's housekeeper reacts to him shooting the pillowsMrs. Judson: [helplessly] My good pillows! Mr. Basil! [spits up a feather]Basil: [peers over back of chair with a slightly wide-eyed look on his face]
- When Basil is moping after the bullet test was a dead end, Olivia tries to get him to help her, which leads to an exchange thats part funny, part Tear Jerker.Olivia: Now will you please listen to me? My Daddys gone, and Im all alone!
Basil: Young lady this is a most inopportune time. (continues playing his violin then briefly glances at her) Surely your mother knows where he is.
Olivia: I I dont have a mother
Basil: (Gets a fantastic Oh, Crap! look on his face as his violin playing literally screeches to a halt)
- "It will be quite dangerous." [Accidentally sits on violin, followed by a stream of Angrish]
- When Basil is gearing Toby up for searching out Fidget. The whole time Toby is growling and looking angry. Then THIS happens:Basil: Low brow, close set eyes, broken wing- (Toby suddenly stops growling and stares at him, confused at that last part) Oh, he's a peg-legged bat with a broken wing.
- In an instant, he's back to growling angrily.
- Basil trying and failing to get Toby to sit, until...Olivia: Sit, Toby!
- Toby immediately sits.
- "I love it when I'm nasty!"
- Even Felicia gets one, when Ratigan orders her to spit Fidget out - after going on three minutes of fighting (and failing) to swallow him. The grumpy "You're no fun at all." expression right before she does so is pretty priceless, as is the rather moth-eaten state that Fidget comes out in.
- She gets a prime bit of Black Humor right after she eats the extremely drunk Bartholomew. Ratigan asks her if she enjoyed her meal, and she burps in his face. The satisfied look sliding off his face once he gets a whiff of alcohol-infused cat breath is hilarious.
- "Item 96: A heavy tax shall be levied against all parasites and spongers. Such as the elderly. The infirm! And especially (hee, hee) little children."
- There's a storybook adaptation where this is the only line from the movie that is used in the book.
- Twice in a short time span Basil gets an absolutely ridiculous dazed look on his face—the first is when Toby, in his hurry to rush off on Fidget's trail, steps on his master; the second in the toy shop when he gets his head smashed between a pair of mechanical cymbals.
- Toby's reaction after the former happens is also pretty funny. Instead of being aware that he stepped on Basil (the one who got him riled up in the first place), he happily runs for the door as Basil hollers behind him. You can just see him thinking "I'm going on a walk! I'm going on a walk!"
- During the Let Me Be Good to You segment, Basil's look of utter exasperation after Dawson gets up and dances with the girl mice.
- Also when he realizes that his and Dawson's drinks have been drugged and turns to warn him, only to see Dawson downing the whole thing in one gulp.
- In the bar, an overweight frog and his unlucky partner are the next to perform on stage; they are immediately booed and then mercilessly pelted with vegetables, knives, and other blunt objects after having been on stage for all of just ten seconds.
- Even funnier is that the frog still has the same clueless grin plastered on his face through the entire thing!
- The bit where Bartholomew presses Ratigan's Berserk Button.Bartholomew: To Ratigan, the world's greatest rat![Ratigan does a Spit Take, while his cronies look on in horror]Ratigan: What was THAT?! [Bartholomew hiccups] WHAT did you call me?Thug 1: He didn't mean it, professor!Bill the Lizard: It was just a slip of the tongue!Ratigan: I AM NOT A RAT!Thug 2: 'Course you're not! You're a mouse!Thug 1: Yeah, that's right, right, a mouse!Bill the Lizard: Yeah, a...a big mouse!Ratigan: SILENCE!
- Ratigan's very festive reception of Basil "getting the drop on him": balloons, streamers, confetti and a wall-spanning "Welcome Basil" canvas. All of this capped off with a loud group "SURPRISE!" to really hammer the point in.
- Basil's dig at Ratigan, and Ratigan's response.Basil: No one could have a higher opinion of you than I have...and I think you're a foul, contemptible SEWER RAT!
- The fact that Ratigan went to the trouble of writing a song, hiring a band to record it, finding a means to record it and get it pressed onto a record, in addition to his elaborate Rube Goldberg Device trap, just so that he can rub Basil's nose in his success.
Ratigan: I had so many ingenious ideas, I didn't know which to choose! So, I decided... to use them all.
- And the reason said Rube Goldberg Device is so complex?
- "It was my fond hope to stay and witness your final scene, but you were fifteen minutes late..."
- The way Dawson just pouts after yelling at Basil for giving up while they're stuck in the death trap.
- "Heheh... hahaHA, yes! We'll SET THE TRAP OFF NOW!"
- "Smile, everyone!"
- While they're in the toy shop, Olivia sets off a toy band, and frightens Dawson so badly he leaps into Basil's arms.
- When Fidget returns to Ratigan, after the toy shop sequence, he forgets the list, and while attempting to explain what happened, he mentions Basil. Ratigan is about to explode in his face, but then decides to sic Felicia on him. But the way it plays out is funny: He calms down, and holds Fidget in his arms, sweet talking him. Cue bell. Cue Fidget's scream of bloody murder.
- In fact, Ratigan got so angry, he nearly suffered a heart attack.
- When Basil obtains control of the fake Queen robot.Basil: You, Professor...Robot Queen: ...are none other than a foul, stenchus rodentus, commonly known as a—!Ratigan: DON'T SAY IT!!!Basil: (reveals himself) SEWER RAT!Ratigan: DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!
- Felicia gets perhaps the funniest Disney Villain Death ever. After climbing a wall just ahead of Toby, she smugly turns her back on him, hikes her tail, and gracefully leaps down to the other side. A Beat, and then all hell breaks loose. Felicia was so overconfident, she didn't realize she was jumping straight into the royal guard dogs' pen...and Laser-Guided Karma finds her at last.
- Even beforehand, when she first sees Toby making a beeline for her. Her reaction is pricelessly over the top.
Funny / The Great Mouse Detective