- The first strip. Say what you will about the strip now, it was Actually Pretty Funny. It showed Thelma looking tired talking to somebody at the door who asks, "Any Children?". And the floor is covered in toys.
- A strip from the 1960s had Dolly answering the phone and saying "Mommy can't come to the phone; she's in the bathtub with the plumber." In the background, Thel is seen standing in the bathtub helping the plumber install a shower-curtain rod with a look of helpless despair on her face.
- One strip has Billy telling a friend that they aren't going to the beach because "Mom went to see Jaws."
- A 1970s strip shows Thel running through the toilet section of a hardware store. "No, Jeffy! It's not connected!"
- From 1982, Billy has swimming flippers on and ponders to Dolly, "I can see why frogs don't dance much."
- The 2012 Halloween strip with an accurate shout out to, of all things, Warhammer 40,000
- From 1981, Dolly waking Thel up by asking, "Did you know you can't toast marshmallows in a toaster?"
- There was another strip earlier wherein Thel is looking into a smoking toaster while Dolly is saying how she didn't know she wasn't supposed to put peanut butter on the toast before toasting it.
Funny / The Family Circus