- In "The Curious Case of the Countless Clues", the Sherlock Holmes Expy falls for the false clues left by the killers, while Steed remains less than convinced.Steed: And clumsy.
Sir Arthur Doyle: Clumsy?
Steed: Well look around, they've left everything except their name and address.
- In "Death at Bargain Prices," Emma Peel is working undercover as a department store clerk:Steed: I asked the chief predator where to find you and he said, "Our Mrs. Peel is in ladies' underwear." I rattled up the stairs three at a time.
"It's all in the grip."
- Later in the episode, a knife gets thrown at Steed. He deflects it with a cricket - and it hits a dartboard. This prompts a pleased Squee! from him.
"We saved them from the biggest closing down sale in history."
- The very end has him summing up the situation (where the villains had been planning to blow up the department store).
- In "The Danger Makers," Emma receives a box of chocolates from a suspect in the case, and Steed treats it as if it is a bomb:Steed: (after carefully opening the box with a knife and tweezers) Ah, thought so.
Mrs. Peel: Booby trapped?
Steed: (gingerly removing a wrapped piece with the tweezers) Whatever you do, don't touch the wrapped ones.
Mrs. Peel: Why not?
Steed: Because I like them. (he pops it in his mouth as Emma slams the box shut)
- In "The Hour That Never Was," Steed and Mrs. Peel are forced to walk to a soon to be abandoned RAF base because a dog had run in front of their car, causing Steed to crash:Steed: This stretch of road hasn't changed in years. Cross the bridge, through the trees, across green grassy banks to RAF Station 472 Hamelin. I've driven across this road a hundred times during the war.
Mrs. Peel: Well, since you know it so well, it's remarkable you couldn't stay on it.
- Also from the same episode:Steed: Returning from a mission, hunched over the controls, eyes rimmed with fatigue, the men groaning in the back.
Mrs. Peel: Where had you been, the war?
Steed: No, the local pub.
- In "Silent Dust," Steed leaves Mrs. Peel alone at the pub so he can approach a local woman and get some information:Steed: I'll see what I can pick up here.
Mrs. Peel: I'm sure you'll pick up... something.
- "The Hidden Tiger" is full of them, thanks to a generous dose of cat puns.
Steed: By acting as we did, we narrowly averted a terrible...He stands in her paint bucket.Mrs Peel: Catastrophe.
- When Steed is worried the cats will give him away, he whispers "I'll be as quiet as a mouse."
- The villains sum the situation up as "cats are going to kill the curious in this case..."
- Mrs Peel gets the last one in as the episode ends.
- When the cat Mr Cheshire gave her scratches her, Mrs Peel remarks "I think that's grounds for divorce."
Funny / The Avengers (1960s)