Note: The following games have their own pages:
- Sonic the Hedgehog 2
- Sonic 3 & Knuckles
- Sonic Adventure
- Sonic Shuffle
- Sonic Adventure 2
- Sonic Heroes
- Sonic Battle
- Shadow the Hedgehog
- Sonic Riders
- Sonic the Hedgehog (2006)
- Sonic Rivals
- Sonic Chronicles
- Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity
- Sonic Unleashed
- Sonic and the Secret Rings
- Sonic and the Black Knight
- Sonic Colors
- Sonic Generations
- Sonic Lost World
- Sonic Mania
- Sonic Forces
- Team Sonic Racing
- Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog
- Sonic the Hedgehog (SatAM)
- Sonic the Hedgehog: The Movie
- Sonic Underground
- Sonic X
- Sonic the Hedgehog (Archie Comics)
- Sonic Boom (both the cartoon and the games)
- Sonic the Hedgehog Twitter
- Sonic Mania Adventures
- Team Sonic Racing Overdrive
- Sonic the Hedgehog (IDW)
- Sonic the Hedgehog (2020)
open/close all folders
- In all of the 16-bit games, the expression on Robotnik's face whenever you hit him is priceless and makes one grateful that he shows up in every level. His Aside Glance when he enters play or hits you is also pretty funny.
- Also in the 16-bit games, if you're playing as Sonic with the AI controlling Tails, any time Tails delivers the final blow to Robotnik's machine in a boss fight.
- Beating Sonic the Hedgehog with all Chaos Emeralds results in an ending in which Robotnik angrily stomps on the "END" logo repeatedly. Even if you fail to collect them all, watching Eggman delightfully juggling the remaining emeralds is pretty funny, too.
- The Japan version of Metallic Madness' Bad Future theme in Sonic CD can be this, albeit likely very unintentionally. Between what sounds like edited clips of the Heavy Weapons Guy throughout it, the downright silly evil laughter, and the robotic voice's words being far less threatening than they're likely meant to and ending up sounding like comical insults and taunting thanks to the monotone and mostly being spoken during a less dire-sounding part of the melody ("YOU CAN'T DO ANYTHING, SO DON'T EVEN TRY. GET SOME HELP." and "DON'T DO WHAT SONIC DOES.", to be exact), and it's really not difficult to see why the music could be hilarious for some people.
- The same soundtrack's equivalent for the present version of the level's theme counts as well, thanks to its hilariously cheesy rapping.
Sonic the Fighters
- The opponent related throws in Sonic the Fighters.
- For Amy's, the character takes her hammer and smacks her over the head with it.
- The way all the characters' heads look when flattened are hilarious.
- The character yanks back Espio's tongue and releases it, causing it to smack him in his face like a rubber band.
- Depicted in fanart here.
- The character steals Fang's popgun from his holster, causing him to panic before shooting him in the face with it.
- The character takes a bomb from Bean, shoves it in his mouth, and ducks for cover for a few seconds while Bean makes multiple hilarious faces before bomb explodes.
- For Amy's, the character takes her hammer and smacks her over the head with it.
- Several of the attacks in general are funny. The game is practically Sonic the Hedgehog meets Looney Tunes meets Virtua Fighter.
- Some of the cutscenes have their funny moments:
- Sonic CD:
- The intro has Amy predicting the future with her Tarot Cards: after an owl and a compass, she picks death and gives an angry glance to it. She then looks around her, puts the card back in the deck, shuffles it with an absolutely not suspicious smile, picks another card, gets the knight on a 1-Up jingle and is overexcited... before the cards fly away while Little Planet is appearing above Never Lake.
- The outro has her get right back to using her tarot cards, this time showing images of animals dancing in a circle, a pair of fox tails, and a Chaos Emerald. Cue another wind blowing the cards away and causing her to pout in annoyance, which she quickly drops as she happily watches Sonic fly off on the Tornado.
- The Sonic 2 intro has the moment when Sonic rushes on the foxes bullying Tails, making them spin in the process. Doubles as Awesome Moments.
- Sonic 3 and Knuckles takes the palm:
- The intro has Eggman escaping his Death Egg Robot, falling on his back and having trouble standing up. After angrily pulling his mustache, he sobs on the ground like a child before seeing the shiny Master Emerald. Before getting it, he's interrupted by Knuckles who wants to fight him, but Eggman begs for mercy and makes himself pass for an animals defender against Sonic and Tails, who are represented as a greedy Emerald thief and a kitsune. Knuckles falls for it and stands his fist to Eggman's face... before opening his hand to help the doctor standing up; while Knuckles hits his fists on each other, Eggman does a Cheshire Cat Grin like he's congratulating himself of having duped the echidna.
- The ending has Eggman floating near his crashed rocket on a Rexon-shaped tube when a Flicky flutters down to taunt him. Eggman swipes at it, but it hops out of reach, which makes it notice the inflatable nature of its perch. Eggman desperately shakes his head as if saying "Oh no!", to which the Flicky eagerly nods "Oh Yes!". The camera pans upwards, followed a second later by a soft pop!
- Sonic CD:
Speed Strats series
- The Speed Strats series for "Sonic Origins" has a few funny moments of its own.
- In the first episode, Sonic rushes around while the narrator tries to slow him down just to pay attention.
- Following on from that, before the Sonic 1 animated ending cutscene can be shown on a Sonic 2 monitor, Tails blows the monitor up, annoying the narrator, yet perplexing him about whether Tails somehow "absorbed the cutscene".
- In the second episode, focused on Sonic 1, the narrator acts concerned around Sonic, telling him he needs to go to the doctor after something happened. Cue Sonic rushing off-screen to fight Robotnik again, and the narrator yelling "Wait, no - not THAT doctor!"
- With one life in the same episode, Sonic manages to survive the climb section in Marble Zone Act 1, to the narrator's surprise! ...At least until a Batbrain knocks him out.
- A couple of times in the third episode, focusing on Sonic CD, Justin Thormann, a staff member for the game, yells "Metal SONIC!" very loud, causing time travel to occur on accident. His reason for doing it? "I... really like Metal Sonic."
- When suggested to shout it in reverse, Justin is clearly struggling to do so.
- Made funnier when, the second time he does this, it makes the narrator start sounding like a 1950's narrator, even quoting a variation of the famous "Strange, isn't it?" quote from Sonic OVA.
- At the beginning of the Sonic 2 episode, the narrator acts smug and claims he can take on the infamous "easy" part of Chemical Plant Act 2. Cue him struggling to do so while making an hilarious drowning impression.
"Atatata! Not a peep outta you, Sonic!"
- Later in the video, he does make it up top, claiming he did it on the first try, but not letting Sonic say otherwise.
- Almost immediately after, he tumbles back into the water with yet another drowning impression.
- In the same episode, even the narrator himself is flabbergasted at how Robotnik can outrun Sonic in the Death Egg.
- In the S3&K episode of Speed Strats, Evan is admiring the detail of Angel Island with Sonic, but freaks out once the island is set ablaze. His reaction afterwards?
"He can also swim underwater! Look at his cute little doggy paddle! Who's a good boy? Who's a good-? Uh? Ahem."
- When Evan is explaining Tails's abilities, he goes all cutesy around Tails's doggy-paddling underwater while Sonic looks at him, clearly unamused.
"But it doesn't matter what obstacles they put in our way. We'll blow past anything they throw at us! Right, Tails? ...Tails?"
- At the end, he pokes fun at the Player 2 AI being unable to avoid the bombs in AIZ2.
"I know the Death Egg Robot can be tricky without any... hey, WAIT A MINUTE! How do you have 3 rings? *gasp* YOU'RE CHEATING, AREN'T YOU? I'm disappointed in you! Nothing good ever comes out of cheating... (Sonic goes Super and takes down the Death Egg Robot easily) Okay, ONE good thing comes from cheating."
- In the "Secrets" Speed Strats video, Evan is watching Sonic take on the Death Egg in Sonic 2 and rooting for him... until he realizes Sonic has 3 rings, which isn't possible without Debug Mode!
- In the same episode, Evan prods fun at Sonic again after catching him surrounded by many ring and 1-Up item monitors, even trapping him with the infamous barrel in Carnival Night Zone just for good measure.
"Just don't go around messing with Tails, alright?"
- During the same episode, after Evan mentions how to access Debug Mode in Sonic 2, it seems like SEGA were made aware of what players often do with the Tails AI when using that mode.
Evan: Phew, I finally caught up with you, Sonic. Did you find Argick and learn some of his speedrun strats? (Sonic nods in agreement) Great! Where is he? (they both notice the smashed monitor) Oh no."
- In the final episode of the series, "Speedrunning", the speedrunner extraordinaire, Argick, comes up first thing and warns SEGA NOT to turn him into an item monitor, but that indeed happens to him, and he is taken out by Sonic, and only comes back after he's transferred to a fresh monitor.
- Sonic the Hedgehog 2 had a promotion where you could receive it for free with the purchase of any Sega Genesis that came with Sonic 1. The commercial, however, didn't stop there.
- For April Fools' Day 2016, the Sonic social media guys gave the world Big's Big Fishing Adventure 3.
- The 25th-anniversary celebration video starts off as nothing more than descriptions of various Sonic games, each with an image of Sonic from those games. However...
- The description of Sonic 3 & Knuckles focuses more on Knuckles chuckling, the Barrel of Doom, & Knuckles.
- The description of Sonic 3D: Flickies' Island says "Save the Flickies...if you can catch them!"
- The description of Sonic R ends with "Can you feel the Sunshine?"
- The description of Sonic Heroes mentions "all those Eggman Robots" and "the real super power of teamwork!"
- Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) doesn't get anything but the words "Now Loading..." ripped straight from the game's loading screen.
- The description of Sonic Boom simply talks about the positive reception the cartoon received for its mix of action and humor, with the actual games going unmentioned.
- In the same vein as the Joker singing "Jingle Bells, Batman Smells", Eggman sings about his hated nemesis to the tune of Frosty the Snowman.
- The April Fools' 2019 post involves a game called "Sonic Royale", complete with a QR code to scan for the demo. If you scan the code, you get this.
- As part of a campaign to promote Sonic more in Japan, Sega turns Sonic into a VTuber! Yes, really.
- From the Game Mod (of Sonic 1 and 2) Sonic Classic Heroes, you can switch between Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles if playing on Team Hero. In the infamous Labyrinth Zone boss, if you get the idea to swim your way to the top as Tails, leaving Sonic and Knuckles to drown, what will happen instead most of the time is one or both of them will desperately grab onto the swimming Tails, hoping to escape. But Tails can't carry anyone while swimming, so instead, he will tire out instantly and fall down with the other two. Possibly the funniest unintentional use of Video Game Cruelty Punishment.