Warning: Spoilers Off applies to these pages. Proceed at your own risk.
open/close all folders
- Chapter 1:
- While Jiraiya and Hiruzen are talking about what they're going to do with Naruto, they hear Tsunade arguing with the guard outside the door, who won't let her in. So what does she do? Bring down the door (and the guard) with a single punch.
- Their bantering about why each of them should raise the kid. Tsunade argues that she should do it because she's Naruto's closest living relative and has experience raising Shizune, while Jiraiya counters that taking care of a baby costs money that she's unlikely to have with her gambling debts.
- At the end of the chapter, Jiraiya jokes that he's gonna turn Naruto into the biggest pervert Konoha has ever seen, and teach him everything he knows to turn him into a Chick Magnet. Then he adds "Oh yeah, and you'll be a great ninja too. I guess that's important as well".
- Chapter 2:
Hiruzen: Sometimes we have to make sacrifices for the greater good, Jiraiya, regardless of how painful they may be.
- Tsunade and Jiraiya might be legendary as ninjas, but nothing could have prepared them for the horrors of raising a baby Naruto, who seemingly loved to throw tantrums at the worst moments.
- One of the few things that could get Naruto to calm down during his tantrums was letting him cling to Tsunade's chest. Tsunade notices that he seems happy when she starts to undo her blouse and thinks that Jiraiya might be rubbing off on him.
- Hiruzen asks for Jiraiya for help to try and find evidence to clear the Uchiha Clan of suspicion of the Kyubi's attack. Jiraiya points out that it'll take time and thus leave him less to keep writing his Icha Icha books.
Tsunade: I hate that kid so much...
- The end of the chapter, Jiraiya and Tsunade finally seem to have a moment's rest and decide to get some sleep. Cue Naruto waking up and crying...
- Chapter 3:
Shima: WAKE UP YOU OLD GEEZER!
- Jiraiya and Tsunade are summoned to Mount Myoboku to see Gamamaru, who has something important to tell them. They sit and wait expectantly... and then the old toad sage just falls asleep on them.
Shizune: OH DEAR KAMI! THAT'S THE ONLY COUCH WE HAVE!
- The Sannin go for a few drinks to try and forget the prophecy made by Gamamaru. The next morning, they wake up in bed, together... and naked.
- Worst of all, Shizune comes to wake Tsunade up, and catches them while they're in the middle of trying to get dressed in a hurry.
- At the end of the chapter, Tsunade and Jiraiya realize that living together has made them start to feel attracted to one another, but decide not to hurry things. You know what happens next...
- The next morning, Shizune wakes up and sees that Tsunade's bedroom is unusually clean and neat. Then she goes downstairs...
- Chapter 4:
Narration: Jiraiya raised an eyebrow, then shruddered. A compliment from Danzo. He never felt so dirty.
- Shizune continues to find Jiraiya and Tsunade having sex. It gets to the point she needs to ask them to limit it to their house.
- In what is an otherwise very serious scene (namely, the discussion about what to do with the Hyuga affair), Jiraiya's inner monologue to Danzo praising his plan to call Kumo's bluff.
Killer B: Come on bro, don't be such a fool, this book you just threw is pretty cool!
- Once their plan succeeds, Jiraiya gives the Raikage a peace offering. Namely the next installment of his Icha Icha series before it hits the bookstores. The Raikage is disgusted by the thought, but Killer B on the other hand...
- And after they leave, he muses that thanks to his sunshades, they never noticed he was staring at Tsunade's boobs the whole time.
- Chapter 5:
- Tsunade is on a rage because Shizune hid her sake. Of course, she did it because Tsunade is pregnant and she can't drink without causing harm to the baby. Cue Big "NO!".
- When Shizune meets Hinata, she reveals to her that Naruto defended her from three bullies. Shizune is amused because Naruto told her they were ten and as big as Jiraiya.
- In Chapter 6, poor Naruto is left lying on the ground and with bruises all over his body by Tsunade's Training from Hell, and she points out that was just the warmup. Internally, he muses that he's never going to call Jiraiya's chakra control and meditation exercises boring ever again.
- Chapter 7:
Temari: Actually, they're Kankuro's.Naruto: [holding his laughter] Really? You play with dolls?Kankuro: [angrily snatches them back] They aren't dolls, they're PUPPETS!
- Naruto drives Jiraiya nuts by asking Are We There Yet? over and over again. Luckily for the Sannin, they reach their destination when he's almost reached his limit.
- Naruto finds Kankuro's training puppets. Fittingly enough, he first assumes they belong to Temari, and she quickly corrects him.
- Chapter 8:
- Noticing how many of the Hyuga men have feminine looks, Naruto ventures to ask if Neji is a guy. Hikari remarks that not many are lucky enough to come out with manly features like her husband Hiashi.
- And she also notices that Hinata fights with more spunk when Naruto is around. She quickly makes a note to bring him more often.
Uchiha Insurrection arc
- This arc is pretty dark, but it still has a few funny highlights:
Anko: Too bad your boyfriend isn't here, we could use a jonin right now.Kurenai: [blushing] What are you saying? Asuma is not my boyfriend!
- Anko casually flirting with Zabuza Momochi, who's guarding the bridge to the Hokage's Tower. She even calls him Tall, Dark, and Handsome.
- This exchange after Kurenai shows up to help her and reveals who Zabuza is:
Chunin: If you resist arrest, we will- [cue Megaton Punch] AAAAARGGGH!Tsunade: (innocently) Excuse me, were you saying something?
- Two Chunin and two Jonin are sent to arrest Tsunade. Her response?
- Jiraiya's reaction when he finds out he's been named the new Hokage.
Academy Days arc
- Chapter 13:
Naruto: (freaked out) WHAT THE HELL?!Tsunade: (calmly) Climbing is easy with enough practice. Staying in the same place for a long time, not so much. I want you to stay like that for five minutes. The fire is to make sure you're motivated enough not to fall.
- Ebisu teaches the academy students how to use their chakra to walk up trees. Naruto does it on the first try and when asked how he did it, he flashbacks to when Tsunade taught him... by setting the tree ablaze while he's still on it.
- Gai goes to make a request to Jiraiya on behalf of Lee, since the Academy's new standards have left him at a major disadvantage to become a ninja without Ninjutsu or Genjutsu. Jiraiya tells him that Lee would have to achieve an impressive level of Taijutsu, so Gai says that he'll get it done. Jiraiya's only response is a Flat "What".
- Chapter 14:
Karin: Uh... Naruto? Do you think she's going mad with power?Naruto: Well I believe it's the rush of having a new technique. It should wear off soon.Hinata: And if she... doesn't?Sakura: [reducing the boulder to rubble] YES! YES! I'M SAKURA THE UNSTOPPABLE! SAKURA THE INVINCIBLE! TREMBLE EVERYBODY, AND DESPAIR! YOUR DOOM HAS COME TO THIS WORLD! MWAHAHAHAHAHA!Naruto: [scared] Dad says the Land of the Crescent Moon is a nice place to live.
- Due to the changes in the Ninja Academy's standards, Sakura goes from the top student in her class to the dead last. Especially when it comes to Taijutsu, even Hinata and Tamaki are able to kick her ass without much effort. Ino goes from calling her "Forehead Girl" to "The Pink Punching Bag".
- Hinata's mother has noticed that her daughter's chest is growing and wonders if it's time to buy her a bra. Cue Hinata covering herself in embarrassment, and later appearing with a baggy coat.
- Naruto offers to teach Sakura and Karin how to boost their strength using her chakra like Tsunade does. Sakura buries her whole fist into it, and cracks it more than any of the others. She's delighted.
Jiraiya (clone): Seriously brat, don't do that again!
- Naruto and company's reaction to Lee and Guy's antics as they celebrate that Lee managed to graduate? Get away before things get any weirder.
- A bit of Black Comedy: Jiraiya decides to teach Naruto the Shadow Clone jutsu, even sending a clone to do so since he's busy. After he explains how it works, Naruto pulls out a kunai and stabs the clone, exploding it into smoke. Ten minutes later, another clone shows up to scold Naruto for trying to kill him.
- Chapter 15:
Kiba: I believe they forgot about us.Tamaki: Maybe our sensei is late?Kiba: No, late would be fifteen or twenty minutes. I mean, the other senseis only took ten minutes to arrive while we have been waiting here for almost an hour."Shino: I suggest patience. This man is a Jonin, and thus somebody serious worth of his rank. I'm positive that he'll have an acceptable reason for not being on time.[Two hours later]Kiba: Where the hell is this guy!?Shino: Regardless of what I said before, I'm starting to believe that either our sensei forgot about us, or the Hokage forgot to tell him about us. In either case, an unacceptable behavior from either our sensei or the Hokage,"
- The formation of the genin teams:
- Naruto grabs Hinata and Haku into a hug as he celebrates loudly being placed in the same team with his friends, forcing Iruka to shut him up. Hinata, despite blushing furiously, is not bothered in the least.
- Sasuke asks if there's some mistake after being placed in the Medical Squad with Sakura and Karin, and remarks that he could tolerate one of them, but not both.
- Tamaki is not happy to be placed with Kiba, whom she calls a fleabag. Kiba in turn calls her "apprentice of a Crazy Cat Lady". Shino just lets out a sigh.
- Iruka privately muses that he's happy they're now someone else's problem.
- The Animal Squad is placed under Kakashi, who takes his sweet time to arrive after the rest of the teams are long gone with their respective senseis.
- When Asuma mentions his dreams about marrying a nice woman and starting a family, Ino is quick to catch that he's got his sights on Kurenai. He quickly regrets not keeping his trap shut.
- Sakura and Karin]having ImagineSpots of chibi versions of themselves getting attacked, and then of being rescued by Sasuke.
- Shino calling Kakashi out on trying to skip on telling them about himself. And then, he almost skips letting Shino introduce himself. He is not amused.
- Kurenai initially assuming that she got an almost all-female team. Naruto laughs before telling her that Haku is a boy.
- The formation of the genin teams:
First C-Rank Mission arc
- Chapter 16:
Zabuza: Let me tell you something: had Gato hired me, that bridge builder would have been dead before he even set foot on his little country.
- Naruto is excited for getting his first mission. One hour later, he and the others are stuck painting a fence.
- Naruto admits it does give him some time to think... about his eventual revenge on Jiraiya for giving him that mission, musing that it'll be stuff of legends.
- Zabuza returns from the mission Jiraiya assigned him, namely, protecting Tazuna from Gato and his thugs while he finishes building the bridge. He has this to say about it:
- And for good measure, he raided Gato's vault and came back with a sack loaded of money. Go figure.
Sakura: I demand this mission to be re-classified into an A-Rank!Karin: Seconded!
- Shizune's medical squad is getting their own D-Rank mission, namely babysitting Jiraiya's and Tsunade's kids. Nothing too much, until it's revealed that one of them has Wood Release of all things.
- Naruto is excited for getting his first mission. One hour later, he and the others are stuck painting a fence.
- The starting scene in Chapter 17. Naruto is sparring with Hinata and accidentally knocks her into the river. He becomes flustered when he sees her all wet, it's both funny and adorable.
Chunin Exams arc
- Chapter 20:
- Shino's reaction upon seeing Fu for the first time.
Ino: My gossip senses are tingling. It feels like... like a boy we know developed a crush on a girl he just met!Shikamaru: You can sense people's relationships? Troublesome.Choji: 'Scary' is the word I'd use.
- At the same time, this exchange happens:
Fu: I know some people are a bit afraid the first time they fly, but trust me, you're going to enjoy this!Narration: Shino was too terrified to protest or even scream.
- After giving the go by his teammates, Shino goes to meet Fu, who is quite pleased to see a boy interested in her. She even offers to let him touch her wings if he wants, but he's too flustered to accept.
- Fu then offers Shino to give him a flight so he gets a full view of Takigakure, and doesn't take a no for an answer when he tries to refuse.
- During dinner, Jiraiya tells Naruto that he shouldn't get too caught in his rivalry with Sasuke, to what Tsunade reminds him of how obsessed he was with beating her and Orochimaru when they were teammates.
- Jiraiya then replies that it was different, and that he surpassed them anyway, to what Tsunade is not amused. Shizune quickly becomes terrified because she knows that their house wouldn't survive a fight between them.
- Chapter 21:
- Naruto accidentally bumps into the Sand Siblings, who have come for the Chunin exams. Kankuro feels annoyed that Naruto doesn't recognize him at first, and only realizes who he is when he sees Temari.
- Killer B arrives with his team to Konoha's entrance. When asked for his passport, he gives the guards an autographed photo of himself doing a rapper pose. When he finally delivers his passport, turns out it has the same photo.
- Furthermore, it's pretty hilarious to see how the genin under him are more mature and serious than him.
- Once the Konoha 15 assemble in the meeting spot, we get funny moments aplenty:
- Lee introduces himself, and the first thing he does is challenging Naruto and Sasuke. Neji and Tenten remark that he's "unusually" relaxed today.
- And when he declares his crush on Sakura, Karin quickly becomes a Shipper on Deck.
- Fu shows up falling in front of them like a meteor, and the first thing she does is hugging Shino in front of everyone. To top it off, she reminds him of their previous encounter:
- After Shisui explains the rules for the first stage of the exam and warns everybody he has "eyes everywhere", a genin named Maseo makes fun of him by remarking "Except on the right side of your face". Shisui quickly body-flickers on him and quickly disqualifies his team for it. His teammates quickly glare daggers at him for it.
- As soon as the first stage begins, Ino senses that somebody else they know has gotten a crush on someone. Shikamaru assumes it's Lee, but Ino replies that it's not him. Turns out it's Haku, who took a look at Tenten.
- In less than half an hour, over half of the teams have failed due to breaking the rules. This makes it easier for the remaining ones to get their scrolls to pass:
Fu: Oops.Shisui: (teleporting in from behind) Team Fu from Taki, passed!Fu: Yes! (pumps her fists in the air, and the scroll bearer falls face first on the ground) Oops... sorry!
- Shino "convinces" the scroll bearer his team captures to hand it over, in exchange for him telling his kikai beetles to get off of him. The scroll bearer is quick to comply.
- When the Medical Squad gets their scroll, Sasuke tells Sakura and Karin "Good job you too," and quickly diverts the gaze to avoid seeing them blush.
- Fu catches a scroll bearer and takes him for a flight. She kindly offers to put him down safely on the ground if he hands it over, so he complies. But... she forgets that she's holding him and accidentally drops him when she grabs the scroll. She quickly flies down to catch him by the ankles before he smacks face first on the ground.
Scroll bearer: (still trapped in the cage) Hey, don't leave me here!
- Tenten ambushes a scroll bearer and traps him with a bunch of throwing spears, forming a small cage. The guy denies having a scroll, but Neji uses his Byakugan to find it and retrieves it for them. After they pass, they leave, but...
Haku: Uh... sorry. Does that mean we still pass?
- Naruto and his team catch their scroll bearer setting a slippery ice floor with Haku's help. Shisui teleports in to announce they've passed... but he steps on the ice and falls on his butt as well.
- During dinner after clearing the first stage, when Naruto tells him all of his classmates made it through, Jiraiya is all too proud of himself for increasing the academy's standards. Shizune and Tsunade can only roll their eyes.
- Chapter 22:
Fu: It's so nice to see you again! Sorry we have to fight. I hope this doesn't deter us from becoming friends later.Sakura: ... is this girl for real?
- Zabuza explains the rules for the second stage of the Chunin exams, which takes place in a lake full of wrecked ships. Each team will be given a row boat to sail and if it gets destroyed, they'll have to find other ways to travel, like walking on water. The Konoha genin smile with pride, while others who didn't learn that gulp in fear.
- The Medical Squad finds their treasure chest, but they end up running into Fu's team.
- Team Gai arrives to the frigate on the second day, and Lee calls "unyouthful" of them to have arrived so late. In typical fashion, he self-imposes one of his training punishments (running one hundred laps around Konoha on his hands, while carrying a boulder).
- And he resumes his courting of Sakura, to which Karin says to Sasuke they should Leave the Two Lovebirds Alone.
- Chapter 23:
Temari: Just because my arms are strong doesn't mean they're mannish!
- The preliminaries begin. Fu's teammates are forced to throw their matches to avoid punishment for being jonin. The first one, Kegon, decides to do so... by feigning cat allergy when faced against Tamaki.
- Shikamaru is pitted against Temari earlier than in canon. The two are quick to analyze each other as mid-range specialists, though Temari points out she's also trained in melee combat. Shikamaru remarks that she didn't need to say it, because her "mannish arms" speak for themselves.
- How does Naruto defeat Sakura? With his Uchiha Harem Jutsu, causing her a massive Nose Bleed that rockets her to the ceiling. Most of the other females present, including Ino, end up having similar reactions, while the older ones have a mixture of dissapointment and anger. Sasuke, for his part, is not amused in the least.
- Chapter 24:
T: You're good too, not to mention pretty.Hinata: (surprised) ...p-pretty?T: Sure. Short hair doesn't look good on many girls, but you manage to pull it off. Plus you have a really soft skin! You have to tell me what you use to-Karui: Goddamit, T! Stop flirting with the enemy! Focus!
- Hinata is pitted against T, who praises her abilities... and her looks.
Fu: Now your toy is mine! (tries to move Karasu but only shakes it around as if giving it seizures) Boy, this is much harder than it looks!Kankuro: Of course it is! It takes years of practice to learn how to control a single puppet!
- Fu manages to snatch Karasu from Kankuro's grasp by producing stronger chakra threads, and tries to use it to defeat him. Key word being tries.
- Chapter 25
Kurama: Nice work, champ.Naruto: Shut up you furball!
- Naruto and his team go to eat at Ichiraku's, and to celebrate their victories in the preliminaries, Teuchi and Ayame give them the first bowl on the house. Ayame quickly reminds them it's just the first bowl, lest that Naruto's bottomless stomach would end up bankrupting them.
- The jonin are trading drinks at a bar, and Kurenai remarks that the fact that no veterans made it that far speaks poorly of them and their sensei. Asuma quickly counters she's bragging because she's the only one whose entire team passed the preliminaries.
- While Shizune is training Sakura and Karin, the latter wonders why they're both training since Sakura didn't make it to the finals. Shizune replies that just because of that it doesn't mean she should neglect one of her students, asking "What kind of neglectful sensei would do that?". Elsewhere, Kakashi sneezes.
- Naruto approaches Killer B to see if he could train him to control his Tailed Beast. In the end he refuses, and the Nine Tails finds it amusing.
Jiraiya: Ha! My genes are so good that not only they did awake a powerful dormant Bloodline Limit, but they created a completely new one from scratch!Tsunade: Yeah, keep thinking that. (takes a sip) I think that I've had enough. I'm going to bed. Wanna have sex?Jiraiya: (huge grin) Do you really need to ask?Tsunade: Yeah, that was dumb.
- At night, Tsunade and Jiraiya discuss about the training on Elemental Ninjutsu for Kaida and Hagane is going, and they ended up discovering that Hagane might have a new Bloodline Limit.
- Chapter 26:
Temari: I hate you.Shikamaru: I'm sure you do.
- Shikamaru is happily watching the clouds, when Temari shows up to interrupt trying to pick a fight with him. After some bickering and refusing to fight, he suggests to her to do something to ease the tension and relax, like watching the clouds. She says no... and a second later she's laying down next to him.
- Naruto tries to approach Fu to talk from jinchuriki to jinchuriki. The girl delights in playing dumb by pretending that she didn't realize he was a jinchuriki like her, and also that she doesn't remember who Shino is.
- The omake of What Could Have Been. Naruto gets Killer B to teach him... by bringing Tsunade to seduce him wearing a Little Black Dress.
- Chapter 27:
Tsunade: Shizune, if I didn't bet all my money on Naruto, I'd imply I don't have enough faith in him, and that would make me a bad mother. By doing so, I'm showing both Naruto and everybody else how much I trust his skill. You could say is my duty as a mother to bet all my money on him.Shizune: Wow...your brain must be sore after all the mental gymnastics you went through to justify your bullshit, Tsunade-sama.
- Jiraiya notices that Rasa and A end up choosing the seats furthest away from each other in the Kage box. He wonders if there's some bad blood between them, or if assholes like them just tend to repel each other like magnets of the same pole.
- In the stands, Tsunade is holding her betting tickets like they were babies, having betted all of her savings on Naruto. Shizune snarks that she already jinxed it.
*** Then Tsunade mutters something under her breath, and Kaida gasps in horror and tells her she can't use that word.
Naruto: Did... did... Did Karin-neechan... give Sasuke... attitude?
- After his fight with Haku, Sasuke demands that Karin heals him. However, rather than happily complying, she forces him to ask her politely, surprising Naruto.
Karui: The hell? Where is he?Choji: (in a tiny high-pitched voice) Down here!
- While fighting Karui, Choji uses the Reverse Multi-Size Jutsu to dodge her attack by shrinking himself until he vanishes from sight:
*** Then, he proceeds to attack her in that size: "OW! MY EYE!" "OW! MY OTHER EYE!"
Ino: Come on Shikamaru, where is your pride?
- Barely defeating Choji, Karui ends up earning a lot of boos from the crowd. Her response is to give them the finger.
- In the stands, Ino is angry that Choji didn't avenge her defeat from the preliminaries, remarking that she promised Choji an all-you-can-eat buffet if he won. Shikamaru reminds her that her wallet dodged a deadly shuriken for that one, and she agrees.
- Temari's nickname for Shikamaru: "Pineapple Head".
- While watching the Naruto vs. Temari fight, Ino complains that Shikamaru isn't motivated in the least, and that he doesn't care whether Naruto avenges him or not.
- Hagane, Kaida and Shizune happily cheer Naruto's victory against Temari. Tsunade, on the other hand, is too busy cashing in her winning tickets.
- Chapter 28:
Naruto: Come on Hinata! You can win this!Fu: Go Tamaki! Kick her ass! (Naruto glares at her) What? Hinata might be your crush, but I don't know her at all, while Tamaki is a friend of mine.
- Naruto confides on Fu about his feelings for Hinata, and she gives him some good advice, even suggesting that he gives her a good kiss once the match is over. He thanks her and they go back to watch the ongoing match.
- Naruto wishes Tenten good luck on her match on behalf of Haku and winks at her. Hinata then tells him that was sweet of him... and then adds that she doesn't want him to do that ever again.
- When Karin enters the stadium for her match, she calls out to Neji in the stands. This doesn't go unnoticed by Hikari and Hanabi, who ask him if he's dating her. He denies it, but Hikari says that after the tournament is over, they'll have a talk about it.
- After defeating Karin, despite the boos from the crowd, Fu breaks into a victory dance. Yugao has to yell at her to knock it off, lest she'll be disqualified for misconduct.
- Chapter 29:
Sasuke: I can't believe you forced me to use my spare katana. Now Shisui will never let me live this down.
- Sasuke fights Karui, and the two engage in a sword duel. The latter breaks the former's katana, who angrily has to replace it with a spare one:
Shisui: (from the stands) Ha! And Sasuke said that bringing a spare katana was unnecessary! I'm going to make sure he never hears the end of it!
Hagane: Go Naruto-niisan!
- Naruto and Hinata go out to the arena to battle each other. From the stands, Kaida and Hagane decide to cheer him up:
Kaida: But don't hit Hinata too hard or she won't want to marry you!
Naruto: (thinking) God damn it, why can't they keep those brats silent? (looks at Hinata, who is blushing and looking at the ground in embarrasment) Great, they made Hinata upset!
- When the battle between Gaara and Fu is about to begin, the Taki girl angrily announces she hasn't forgotten what Gaara did, and she hasn't forgiven him. Gaara doesn't get what she means, until she explains: she's mad because he knocked Shino off the tournament and as his friend (and hopefully something else one day), she has to avenge him.
- During the fight, Fu manages to get back up after a major beating in a daze, and asks Gaara if he's gonna ask what do they feed her, since almost everybody since she arrived at Konoha has been asking her that.
- While it precedes a rather tense moment, Shibuki's Oh, Crap! moment before Fu drinks the Hero Water to defeat Gaara is worth mentioning.
- The finalists have been decided: Naruto, Sasuke and Gaara are about to enter a three-way fight. However, Rasa demands that Naruto and Sasuke fight each other first, lest that they team up against Gaara first so they can fight each other last. Jiraiya isn't amused, but ultimately complies after being given a deal.
- Chapter 30:
Hikari: Hinata, did you forget about the Byakugan? Being lovesick certainly messes with one's mind.
- Hinata wakes up at the infirmary, and shares a tender moment with her mom. She then laments that she can't see Naruto's final match, until Hikari reminds her that she can:
Hinata: (blushing) Oh, right. Sorry.
Shizune: Maybe I could ask Gai to give you some more intensive physical training if you wish.
- Tsunade is already listing the things she wants after cashing in her tickets: a new bigger house (with staff), a private onsen, and a private massage therapist.
- As soon as the battle begins, Naruto is forced to summon the toad Ryoko, who complains of being used as a meat shield so quickly. But as soon as he sees the large crowd around watching the match, he's happy to help and show off his skills.
- When Sakura sees that Sasuke got himself a summoning contract, she asks Shizune if she can get her one too. Shizune explains that for the summoning jutsu they need high chakra reserves, and she'd have to do some training to build up endurance first:
Sakura: Training with Gai-sensei...? [beat] He won't make me wear a jumpsuit, will he?
- After Naruto defeats Sasuke with the Rasengan, Killer B and Gyuki quickly realize that it's based on the Tailed Beast Ball attack. Killer B remarks that the kid has talent for someone so immature, to what the Eight-Tails replies he's not one to talk about immaturity.
- Tsunade's Big "NO!" after Naruto loses to Gaara in the final match, and thus she loses all the money she won during the tournament. Shizune has No Sympathy when telling her "I did tell you so".
- Chapter 31:
"The sun began to set even if it was eleven in the morning, and the Hokage Monument was suddenly replaced by a beach with waves crashing against the shore. And for a split second, Neji swore he saw Tenten wearing a green jumpsuit, orange leg warmers, and her hair sporting a bowl haircut as opposed to her usual twin buns. And during that moment, the idea of becoming a missing nin became increasingly alluring for the Hyuga prodigy."
- The promotions for Chunin go underway, with Tenten getting the first one. She quickly joins Gai and Lee in one of their hugs. Neji's thoughts about it:
Narration: Naruto's words died on his throat when he saw what was going on in the restaurant. There were several tables turned over, some of them even on fire, there was food smeared everywhere, people running around, fighting, and throwing food at each other, and Tsunade was strangling Kakashi with a bra presumably her own, given the cup size.
- To top it off, in the spur of the moment, Haku approaches to congratulate her. But he doesn't even finish before Tenten grabs him and kisses him, earning a chorus of "ohhhhhhs" and "awwwwwws" from everyone.
- Jiraiya decides to yank Naruto's chain when he's about to give him his promotion, telling him that promoting him would be nepotism, and that he'll have to wait until he retires from being Hokage. Naruto delivers a Big "WHAT?!"... and then turns out he was trolling him just to get his reaction and capture it in a photo forever.
- Tsunade later tells Jiraiya that at first she thought his prank on Naruto was cruel, but admits it was Actually Pretty Funny, and demands an extra-large copy of the photo for the living room.
- Before leaving Konoha, Fu has a couple of things to do:
- First, she gives Karin a new pair of glasses to replace her broken ones, even with the right testing. Karin begins to ask how did she know... and then recalls somebody broke into her house the previous night and made a mess.
- Second, she delivers her own Big Damn Kiss to Shino, who is left completely catatonic. Meanwhile, Tenten is happy that now they have another out-of-nowhere kiss to talk about instead of hers.
- That night, the Konoha shinobi all go to a restaurant to celebrate, and while everybody is partying, Naruto takes Hinata out for a bit to confess his feelings for her. After she accepts to become his girlfriend, they go back in to tell everyone... and all hell has broken lose:
Naruto: Uh, Hinata?
Hinata: Y-Yes, Naruto-kun?
Naruto: Do you want to go back outside?
Hinata: Yes, please.
Hinata: I...I want...I want to die...
- Sakura gets up early to start her training with Gai and Lee. While she already dreads it, she has no idea what kind of training she's in for until she's handed some "light" weights for her wrists and ankles. Then, Hinata shows up, wearing the same weights after running twenty laps around the field, sweating like a waterfall and her face completely red (and for once not because of Naruto).
Sound Invasion arc
- Chapter 32:
Lee: Okay, now that we've rested enough, our training has to continue! One thousand sit ups, one thousand pushups, one thousand squats and a fifty kilometer race! Come on go!
- While exhausted from Gai's training, Lee gives Sakura some encouragement, telling her of how Gai believed in him when nobody else did, and he wants to spread that feeling to others in turn. Sakura is touched by this... until Lee reminds her of the training they still have to go that day.
Narration: Sakura's smile turned into a grimace of hate and horror, as she groaned while she pulled herself up and prepared for the torture disguised as training.
Hinata: Well...we haven't been dating for that long, so I couldn't tell. We do spend less time together, but that's because of our new ranks. But yes, we do things we didn't do before, such as walking holding hands...or kiss.
- Hanabi does some elemental chakra training with Hinata, and ends up asking her about how her relationship with Naruto has changed:
Hanabi: Ew! (shudders) Gross!
Hinata: (giggling) When you grow older, you will change your mind, you'll see.
** Kaida recognizes Karin from the Chunin exams. The redhead feels a little proud, until Kaida reminds her of how Fu beat her.
Tobi: Wait a minute, did you just attack a trainer during a Pokémon battle!?
- The Elseworlds omake at the end: it's a rehash of the Nine-Tailed Fox's attack reimagined as a Pokémon battle, complete with Gamabunta and Kurama talking in Pokémon Speak, and Minato using baby Naruto as a Master Ball to catch the fox. The biggest one, however, is Minato attacking Tobi during the battle, resulting in this exchange:
Minato: I did. What about it?
Tobi: That's against the rules!
Minato: Screw the rules, I have money!
Tobi: We're parodying Pokémon, not Yugi-Oh, you dumbass!
- Chapter 33:
Tayuya: MY EYE! THAT FUCKING MIDGET GAVE ME A BLACK EYE!
- Even in the middle of the invasion, Jirobo calls out Tayuya for cursing in front of children.
- Crossing with awesome: when Tayuya tries to grab Kaida, Hagane steps up and sends her flying with a punch.
Hashirama: ...Would you believe me if I told you that I did NOT intend for that to happen?
- Gai's reaction to being complimented on his haircut, and being told that is is 'youthful'. By The First Hokage. Gai actually faints with joy. Except they're still in the middle of the Sound Invasion, and now Kakashi has to fight the resurrected First Hokage all by himself.
- Hashirama being genuinely flattered that he was 'mentioned' in Konoha's history books, when he's...himself.
- When Tsunade shows up:
- Chapter 35:
Jiraiya: Who's the fool now? (poofs out of existence)
- Jiraiya overpowers Minato's normal Rasengan with a Fire Rasengan of his own. Proud of himself, Sannin then lets slip he used a clone to help complete the jutsu. Minato is happy... then realizes Jiraiya shouldn't have said that, and proceeds to do the same, succeeding on the first try much to Jiraiya's chagrin.
- Minato's name for his Lightning Release Rasengan: Spiraling Thunder Blast Type Zero.
- After Shisui releases Hashirama from Orochimaru's control, Tsunade lets out that he's soon to become her son-in-law. Hashirama comes up to him, and Shisui gets paralized in terror, thinking the first Hokage is about to kill him... only for Hashirama to grap him into a hug and happily welcome him to the family.
- When Hashirama learns it's been over forty years since he died, and takes a look at Tsunade, he quickly asks her what's her secret to look that good.
- The omake at the end shows a What Could Have Been scene titled "Jiraiya's Daring Escape". Orochimaru trapping him inside the Four Violet Flames Formation barrier. Orochimaru boasts there's no way Jiraiya can break the barrier, but he does have something to get out: summon a small toad and then reverse summon it along with himself.
Jirobo: Uh... boss? Do you still need us to keep the barrier up?
Senju Twins Retrieval arc
- The canon omake at the end of Chapter 41. Shizune gets her revenge on Tsunade over what happened in Chapter 3. And Shisui is more than happy to help her...Shizune: Oh yes, revenge is sweet! I've been wanting to do that for years!
Kirigakure Civil War arc
- In Chapter 43:
Tsunade: Let them fight. Seeing them argue and bicker is way funnier than any of the soap operas I watch.
- Mei Terumi and Zabuza have an argument and decide to settle it with a duel who gets to be the next Mizukage. Jiraiya, knowing there are more pressing matters at hand, tries to stop them. Tsunade, on the other hand...
Sai: Oh, sorry. I read in a book that a smile is a good way to show others your friendliness. But if I'm making you feel uneasy, I'll stop... ugly.Sakura: [eye twitching] The hell did you call me?!Sai: Oh, I also read in a book that giving nicknames is a good way to connect with people, and the best nicknames are the ones who define the-[cue Megaton Punch]
- And the result of said duel. Mei said it would take her no more than ten minutes. It took her five.
- The ending scene. Sakura approaches Sai, and compliments the painting he's making. Sai being Sai, you can expect how well this goes when he replies.
Gaara Rescue arc
Byakugan Princess Arc
Kakuzu and Hidan arc