open/close all folders
Salty's Lighthouse segments
- The gang trying and failing to play the bongos in "Taking My Turn".
Salty: Hey, we don't sound like Aunt Chovie!
Octo: Oh yeah, we do! We sound like the day she dropped a tray of silverware.
- In "Otis the Movie Star" from "Sound Off", one scene has Mr. Boffo and Mr. Socko (Burke and Blair, respectively) looking around the harbor for future movie stars.
Mr. Boffo: Hey, what about the fireboat, huh?
Mr. Socko: Hmm... too young.
Mr. Boffo: Hmm, what about the submarine? Looks old enough.
- Speaking of making puns off movie titles, the two make a total of three in no less than three seconds.
Mr. Boffo: You've probably seen our Boffo/Socko movies.
Captain Star: Sorry, haven't seen too many movies lately.
- "Grampus' Song" from "Stop the Music" has the Z-Tugs singing Grampus' song as a rap number. Sunshine's reaction is priceless.
Grampus: That's not the song I wrote!
Zorran: I know! We made it better!
- Grampus first asks Big Stack for help, but it turns out he can't sing. After trying to sing it again, but louder, Warrior tells him to stop, saying he could sink a rock barge with that voice. He sings one last time, and that actually happens.
Big Stack: Oh... Maybe it was just the wrong key.
- "Bluenose Buds In" from "Boss Man" ends on Bluenose getting his comeuppance. It also doubles as a nice Mythology Gag to "Munitions", which the episode is loosely based on.
Bluenose: What?! Grampus, what are you doing?
Grampus: Sorry, Bluenose. Gotta take you to Drydock.
Bluenose: Drydock? What did I do wrong?
Grampus: Oh, nothing! Rule 63b: "Any vessel exposed to fire shall undergo a complete inspection, stem to stern".
Bluenose: But I feel fine!
Grampus: Sorry, sir! Rules are rules!
Bluenose: At least save me the embarrassment of being towed in. I make it on my own steam!
Grampus: Ah! 64q!
Bluenose: Since when did you become such an expert?
Grampus: Since you made me take your course! The rulebook! Know it and love it!
- "The Big Birthday Splash" from "Big Birthday Bash" has a small yet still hilarious reference to TUGS' mature roots.
Ten Cents: I said I was sorry! What do you want me to do? Sink myself?
Sunshine: Not a bad idea...
Otis: Well I don't know what's worse; not having an engine, or listening to you two argue!
- "Backwards Day" from the episode of the same name has the gimmick of putting clips in reverse (a very simple effect to do). That being said, there's just something inherently funny about putting already established footage in reverse. The TUGS' commentary makes it all the more better. Captain Star even gets in on the fun near the end!
- "The Silly Day Parade" from "Farley Frog" has the TUGS enjoying part of their day off by messing with Captain Star's megaphone (somehow). Either way, the banter they come up with is hilarious.
Top Hat: All boat alert! All boat alert! From now on, all TUGS must wear top hats in every parade!
- Otis' turn on the other hand...
Otis: Tug, tug, tug your barge, gently through the harbor! And if your mustache grows to long, tug yourself to a barber!
Warrior: From now on, you all have new jobs. Ten Cents, you in charge of... the snack barge!
Ten Cents: Aye aye, Captain Warrior!
Warrior: Sunshine! You crack jokes all day! Otis! Paddle backwards and splash up a storm!