Warning: Spoilers Off applies to Moments pages. Proceed at your own risk.
- The teaser trailer for RWBY Chibi, which has an SD Ruby push out the "Chibi" part of the logo... then slump to her knees and hold up a finger as she catches her breath. Even as a chibi, Ruby is not as fit as her sister.
Episode 1 - Ruby Makes Cookies
- Ruby Makes Cookies:
- Ruby turning to the bag of chocolate chips as comfort food. She's lying in the sink, dumping them into her mouth as her foot twitches.
- The mixing spoon refusing to budge. Ruby tries everything: pulling on it (she goes flying backwards), pushing on it (she goes flying forwards), doing a divekick on it (something in her legs makes a Sickening "Crunch!")...
- Ruby finally finishes baking cookies... but the cookie is too large to fit in a glass of milk. Ruby lets out a cry of despair and falls on the floor. The glass of milk crashes on top of her after a beat.
- Party Games: Weiss tries (and fails) to play Pin the Tail on the Donkey, by hurling herself at the picture with Myrtenaster as the dart.Ruby: [from offscreen, cheerful] Miss!
Weiss: [slumping] Drat!
- Ninjas Of Love: Ruby discovers Blake's "Ninjas in Love" book. She smacks her with it after reading it, declaring, "This is filth! FILTH!"
- This is made funnier by the fact that earlier, Ruby was shown to be enjoying the book, and when Blake sheepishly asks for it back (still laying on the floor, much like Penny did in her introduction), she yells "LATER!"
- The book has a centerfold.Ruby: Now that's a katana!
- Weiss and Yang Training: Weiss and Yang's sparring match. Just because Yang ran out of bullets doesn't mean she still can't hit you. And so smug, too!
Episode 2 - Cat Burglar
- Cat Burglar: Team RWBY hears of a cat burglar on the prowl and glance at Blake. She accuses them of profiling... while stealing everyone's stuff. She leaves the room in a huff, only to return just to steal the remote from Yang, and then after leaving took Yang's motorcycle too.Blake: Seriously, guys? Seriously? You're gonna call me a cat burglar just because I'm part cat? That's real mature.
[starts walking away]
Blake: [as she's stealing a scroll and a cookie] You know, I have half a mind to report you guys to Glynda. What you're doing is profiling.
[steals a chess set]
Blake: You all disgust me! [takes off with a potted plant]
Lavender: Reports of a cat burglar being on the prowl in Vale have flooded the police department this week. Whether these claims are legitimate or merely a yarn, citizens are encouraged to stay indoors.
- The few seconds Blake returns to steal the remote. She's missing her bow, her irises are vertical, and she's running on her legs and hands making her look like an actual cat.
- At the beginning of the skit, Team RWBY were listening to the cat burglar report on an offscreen TV before Yang shut it off. After Blake steals Yang's bike, the TV turns itself back on just to describe the ensuing Hot Pursuit.
Later, after Blake takes off with all of her stolen stuff...
Lavender: Breaking news! Police have engaged the alleged cat burglar in a high-speed chase. The suspect is fleeing on a yellow motorcycle with what appears to be a cartoonishly large amount of stolen goods falling from the bike. What will they think of next? Back to you, Cyril!
- Ice Skating: Yang, Blake and Ruby all agree - don't bring Weiss to the pool again (she froze the pool and started figure skating on it, with the others partway stuck in said ice).
- Also the fact that the entirety of team RWBY (minus Weiss) decided to swim while fully dressed.
- Jump Rope: Blake throwing the ribbon portion of Gambol Shroud for Yang to catch (similar to V1E8) as they play jump rope with Ruby using the weapon.Ruby: Jaune be nimble, Jaune be quick, Jaune fell over the candlestick!
- Poor Jaune being the Butt-Monkey even here, stuck in crutches and a cast.Jaune: [sarcastically] Blake be nimble, Blake be quick, BLAKE NEEDS TO LEARN TO PICK UP AFTER HERSELF WHEN SHE'S DONE READING!
- Poor Jaune being the Butt-Monkey even here, stuck in crutches and a cast.
- Yarn: Yang presents Blake a ball of yarn as a gift. Annoyed, Blake lampshades how Yang is expecting her to start playing with it. Cue Ruby rushing into the dorm and playing with the ball of yarn like a cat. With Yang and Blake staring in disbelief.Blake: Really? What? Do you expect me to roll around on the floor and play with it?
[cue Ruby crashing into the room and playing with the ball of yarn]
Ruby: Aw yeah! This is the best!
- To further add into the fun, look at Blake's expression when faced with the ball of yarn: rather than angry or offended, she acts and sounds somewhat...shy, like she's actually considering playing with the ball of yarn but doesn't want to in front of Yang to not embarrass herself.
- Blake vs. Zwei: Zwei goes into Team RWBY's room, sniffing around, before leaving again at the sound of Yang off-screen... and Blake slides out from behind a lamp barely a tenth her size, sighing in relief.
Episode 3 - Reloading
- Jaune Calls Weiss (Pt. One): Jaune awkwardly asking Weiss out on a date over voice message, tripping over a pebble, and landing square on his head. While standing in place.
- Reloading: Ruby using Weiss's Ice Dust on Crescent Rose, then her Fire Dust, then her Gravity Dust, which sends her flying backwards, much to Weiss's chagrin.
- Jaune Calls Weiss (Pt. Two): Jaune feebly trying to convince himself that Weiss simply didn't get the voice message that he sent her, rather than her simply ignoring it, and playing it in her dorm for her teammates to hear and laugh over with her.
- Blake Tag: Blake using her Semblance to get away from Yang while playing a game of tag. Considering how Blake feels about her Semblance in the show proper, this is pretty funny in a dark way. All while a babyish version of "From Shadows" plays in the background.
- Jaune Calls Weiss (Pt. Three): Jaune finally getting fed up with Weiss not returning his call, and ranting at her only to find her walking around behind him. It turns out that Weiss simply lost her scrol...until Blake finds it for her right in front of Jaune, who proceeds to angrily stomp on Weiss's scroll and punt it off-screen, much to Weiss and Blake's surprise and confusion. Blake eventually shrugs, and Weiss just hangs her head with Blank White Eyes.
- Seriously, Weiss's face as Jaune kicks her Scroll away. Or for that matter, Blake's initial face as Jaune stomps on it right in front of her.
- Plus Jaune's decision to, moments after punting the scroll, play it cool, with a "see you later" and walking off like nothing weird happened.
- Blake vs. Zwei Pt. 2: Zwei is wandering around RWBY's dorm again, before leaving... only to reveal Blake, teeth chattering and all, hiding in the freezer.
Episode 4 - Fighting Game
- Fighting Game: While Yang is bragging about how she might 'teach you some combos and how a pro plays' after beating Ruby, Ruby is sitting there doing the talking hand gesture and mouthing along with Yang's words, indicating that this is a regular thing.
- Zwei finally catches Blake, the girl with a dazed look in her eyes, even as Yang is scolding the puppy, saying that she's not a chew toy.
- And while she's doing that, Ruby takes the time to knock away Yang's scroll-controller and try to start a new fighting game to beat her. Big mistake.
- Ice Sculpture: Ruby tries to participate in an ice sculpting contest. She marches off in anger when Weiss and Blake outdo her with their own skills.Ruby: RRRRRGH! [throws down equipment, mocking] Look at me, I use Dust. I have a cool Semblance. Life is so easy, weh weh weh.
- Present For Blake: Yang gives Blake a large tea set as an apology for two episodes ago. Blake likes the box.
- Even funnier is when Blake goes to jump in, she leans back and wiggles her butt.
- Marshmallows: Weiss, Ruby and Blake poke Yang while she's playing video games to anger her. They proceed to use her as a impromptu campfire to make roasted marshmallows.
Episode 5 - Sissy Fight
- Costume Party: Costume party with the team... except that Jaune and Ruby are wearing the same outfit - Weiss'.Jaune: Well. One of us is going to have to change!
Nora (offscreen): Lookin' hot!
- Ear Cleaning: Blake simply cleans her ears. All four of them.
- Sissy Fight: Ruby suffers from a Fall of the House of Cards by Weiss. Ruby responds by stomping mud all over Weiss' cleaned up kitchen floor. This leads to a duel... that turns into a wimpy Slap Fight. And the dialogue, where Ruby has word trouble again:Weiss: [dramatically] Ruby Rose! I have tolerated your foolishness for too long!
Ruby: [equally dramatic] The foolishness you've tolerated compares not to... dah-the foolishness in which you fooled!
Weiss: *beat, with Blank White Eyes* What?
Ruby: NOTHING! LET'S FIGHT!
- As the two are staring each other down, Zwei, who Ruby was playing with not seconds earlier, is bouncing around like a tumbleweed. Complete with squeaky toy noises.
- Shadow People: The girls notice and discuss the shadowy background characters from Volume 1, including how some have the exact same build as them.
- Before that, Ruby's recount of her reading of Blake's book in Episode 1.Ruby: So I said, "Now that's a katana!".
- Before that, Ruby's recount of her reading of Blake's book in Episode 1.
Episode 6 - The Vacuum
- The Vacuum: Blake and Zwei have an understanding: They both do not like the vacuum cleaner.Blake: I know, right?
- Also, Weiss using her figure skater/ballerina fighting style to vacuum.
- Cape Trubs: Ruby's cape troubles, including getting it caught in doors, almost hanging herself and people walking on it with muddy shoes.Ruby: [hanging off the bed and turning blue] Geh-not like this! Not like this!
- The Leaning on the Fourth Wall at the start with Ruby's comment that Professor Peach is "not around very often."
- Pay attention to her cape while she's reading. It's completely free. Apparently, the comic book she was reading is heavy enough to pin it with enough force to support Ruby's weight. White dwarf matter? Neutronium? Gravity Dust?
- It could have gotten tangled with or wedged under the ropes.
- Also, if one looks close enough, Ruby's comic is revealed to be Camp Camp.
- The moment where Jaune walks on Ruby's cape with muddy shoes becomes even funnier when you think about what Ruby did to Weiss in the previous episode. She walked in the kitchen that Weiss just cleaned to perfection with dirty shoes. Talk about Laser-Guided Karma and the shoe being on the other foot.
- Book Swap: Using books to make bunk beds becomes a problem when Blake wants to read one of the structure supporting books. This leads to her attempting to gauge various items (including one of Ember Celica's gauntlets and Zwei, who shakes his head) on whether they would be suitable to swap with it. And then after carefully swapping out the book with the one she had just finished reading, Ruby pipes up about wanting to borrow the latter, causing poor Blake to cling to her new book and fall over on her side to the floor.
- The title of the book Blake wants to read, which is a sequel to the one she was reading? "The Man With Two Souls II: The Man With Four Souls".
- The Fourth Wall: We get our first scene transition with Jaune: He falls flat on his face, then sheepishly gets up and runs off.
Nora: [holding her arms out] Nope! Never happened.
- Pretty much everything after The Reveal that in Chibi, Pyrrha is still alive. Particularly Nora's increasingly manic denial of everything Ruby says.
Nora: NOPE! Everything's fine! PYRRHA IS FINE! Nothing bad. Ever. Happened. *Looks directly at the viewer* Evveeeeerrrr.
- Also on a similar meta level: There was an article discussing the What Do You Mean, It's Not Political? moments in the main series (along with similar ones in Hamilton and Overwatch). When it got to this moment, the writer commented, "Clearly, quite a few at Rooster Teeth saw the disdain many would have at finding real-world subtext in their escapist entertainment."
Episode 7 - Prank Wars
- Prank Wars: Ruby, Yang, and Blake prank Weiss by propping a bucket of ice water over the door of their room so that it falls on her when she walks in. The next day, Weiss repeats the prank on Ruby — except she freezes the water first.Weiss: Ha! Now that's ice water!
Yang: Weiss, I think she's concussed!
Weiss: I think she's pranked, is what she is.
- Arcade Games: Nora, Ren, and Yang getting thrown out of the arcade, complete with their weapons. Nora is irate, at least until she gets the giant bear she apparently won. A few things to note here:
- When we say "thrown out," we mean literally: Nora, Yang, and Ren, in that order, are hurled bodily out of the arcade, landing in a pile, with Nora's and Ren's weapons scattered around them.
- As to why they got thrown out: when we first see the arcade, the sign on the door says "Open". After the proprietor has thrown out our heroes and slammed the door on them, the sign says "Closed For Repairs" — which, given that the arcade contains a shooting gallery and "Whack-A-Grimm," and that our heroes brought in real firearms and a giant exploding hammer, isn't all that surprising.
- When Nora gets up to yell at the arcade owner, Yang and Ren are still balanced on her head. When the owner throws out Nora's bear, it also lands perfectly balanced on her head, sending the other two flying in the process.
- When it lands on her head, it makes a squeaky toy noise. And then, as she happily skips off, with the bear staying on her head, it keeps making squeaks with every step.
- And, of course, the proprietor of the arcade is the Dust shop proprietor from the first episode, with our heroes once again making his life difficult. The captioning even calls him That One Shopkeeper Who Seems To Work Everywhere.
- Jaune Experiments: Jaune sneaking into RWBY's dorm, and playing around with their weapons. The momentum of Crescent Rose sends him twirling into an offscreen wall, and the Recoil Boost from firing Ember Celica launches him backwards. The only weapon he uses "successfully" is Gambol Shroud, to which he repeats "Now THIS is a katana." He proceeds to dance around with Myrtenaster, complete with butt-wiggling, only to realize that Team RWBY was watching him in shock (and in Yang's and Ruby's cases, great amusement).
- What makes this even funnier is that when he realizes this, instead of being embarrassed, he jokes about them watching in envy.Jaune: Don't be jealous!
- What makes this even funnier is that when he realizes this, instead of being embarrassed, he jokes about them watching in envy.
Episode 8 - Magnetic Personality
- Pickle Surprise: Ruby trying to open a jar of pickles. And when she finally gets it open (by slashing it with Crescent Rose) she doesn't like the flavor.
- Ruby: Ack, dill!
- All of Ruby's attempts to open the jar, save the last, were turning the lid from left-to-right/clockwise... i.e. the way that tightens them.
- Tubby Tummy: Yang's workout montage is pretty humorous, mostly for the music it's set to: "I Burn" remixed with "Eye of the Tiger".
- Nora being able to pack away an entire cake and regain her shape with just a burp. And this is after Yang starts doing exercises to get into shape! In short, Yang does not take this fact well.
- Adding to the effect on Nora's Workout in episode 13, this scene is more priceless. Her large metabolism is what can allow her to do that.
- Throwing more fuel on the Bumblebee shippers' fire: when Yang is doing weightlifting as part of her workout routine, she's using Blake as the weight.
- Nora being able to pack away an entire cake and regain her shape with just a burp. And this is after Yang starts doing exercises to get into shape! In short, Yang does not take this fact well.
- Magnetic Personality: Pyrrha's polarity troubles. She accidentally covers Nora with everything metal in the room while washing dishes when startled, causes JNPR to walk around in circles by screwing up Jaune's compass, and ends up launching Miló into their dorm room's light after being startled again by Jaune's invitation to her to look at old VHS tapes that Ren found. She declines, as her polarity would erase the tapes. The first two are even followed by "I'm sorry!"
- The face that Pyrrha makes when Nora startles her◊ has become rather memetic within the fandom, and is also pretty hilarious on its own.
- Going Down: RWBY decide to use the elevator, with buttons labeled "basement", "second basement", "art gallery", "third basement", "Fort Port (No Girls Allowed)", and "Super Secret Vault (Do Not Enter)". And for bonus points, said Super Secret Vault is the same vault Amber's comatose body was kept in. Guarding the place is Shopkeep. One has to wonder if he always gets screwed over this much.
Episode 9 - Ren Plays Tag
- Weiss Studying: Ruby bursting into their dorm, shouting "I'M BORED! Entertain me."
- And when Weiss refuses, she jumps on her table and flops like a fish, screaming "YOU MADE ME DO THIS!"
- Ren Plays Tag: Ren's Training Montage for a game of tag.
Ruby: You're ready. [cue Ruby getting a peppermint and eating it, making a derp-face while doing so]
- Two handed, one finger and no handed push-ups.
- That last one also culminates in him running out of breath and slumping dizzily to the floor.
- Balancing on top of Zwei.
- Meditating while floating mid-air, until the camera reveals that there is a fan below that is doing this.
- And his master? Ruby!
- The aftermath of his Training Montage. It's all for naught as the moment he tags Nora, Nora calls "Tagback!" and HEADBUTTS him.
- Even better, when Ren is tagged by Nora an Orbital Shot is used to detail Ren's shock at being it. After he loses to Nora again, that same camera shot is utilized again, with Ren glaring at the camera after this.
- Two handed, one finger and no handed push-ups.
Episode 10 - Love Triangle
- Love Triangle: The Weiss, Jaune, and Pyrrha triangle is observed by Ren, who sighs, lamenting how none of them notice what's right in front of them. Except he's seemingly unaware of similar things.Ren: [on Jaune/Pyrrha/Weiss, shaking his head] If only they could see what's right in front of them.
[camera pans to show Nora behind him, angry and holding a 'Notice me!' sign, complete with little hearts]
Nora: Yeah! If only!
- Zwei Painting: The art contest between Ruby, Ren, Blake, and Nora. Nora paints Zwei in a goofy style, Blake paints him as a cat, Ren paints him magnificently, and Ruby paints his butt. Weiss immediately drops her clipboard used to judge the participants and walks away.Ruby: What, you don't like it? YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND MY VISION! It's a butt.
- Put simply, how Ruby says the last line in a most sincere and upbeat voice really hits the point straight.
- And it seems that Ren does appreciate her vision.
- Not to mention how Ruby and Nora paint Zwei. Ruby is Dual Wielding brushes while making grandiose strokes, while Nora ditches them altogether and just mashes paint on it with her palms (because finger-painting is too subtle for her).
- For some extra funnies, this refers to a promotional tweet from Hajime "Mojojoj" Nakamura for RTX with the "X" replaced with Zwei's butt.
- Consider this: why would Ruby draw Zwei's butt? Because the dog belongs to her family, so she's the one who had the most opportunity to walk him. In such cases, she could see what's right in front of her.
- Blake's picture. Because, well, reasons, she paints Zwei... as a cat. After Weiss bluntly criticizes the picture for breaking simple guidelines, Blake reassuringly caresses the painting as if its feelings were hurt.Weiss: 'A' for effort… bu... 'F' for following the rules!
- Makeover: When Nora gives Ren the haircut, with Ren looking exactly the same... except for the back, in which R+N was shaved. As Nora is leaving the room, she winks at the camera.
- Even before Nora starts, it's a barrel of laughs. Nora offers him four options, each via a different tool from a different hand, all of which are coming from offscreen and aren't connected to her actual hands, and one of which is a fork - Ren resigns himself to the inevitable and just says 'Sure'.
Episode 11 - Nurse Ruby
- Ren Makes Pancakes: Ren's disappearing pancakes and search to figure out where they got away to reaches Road Runner-level of tactics to catch a very stuffed Nora in the act. And she isn't even apologetic, just trying to get the syrup too.Nora: Ha ha! There's the syrup. (tries to reach, failing) Gimme!
Ren waits till her arm falls, then he carefully puts the bottle above her head, upside-down, prepared to give it to her. She has just enough time to react before the scene cuts away from her Laser-Guided Karma.
- The second time, he's clearly expecting them to disappear, but the moment this happens, it turns out he has a worse case of twitchy-eye than Ruby when angry.
- The video's subtitles during this sequence describe the action on screen as "[suspicious pancake making noises]"
- Then there is the Syrupu! writing on the bottle.
- Jaune ASMR: Jaune tries to film an ASMR video, opening with the question: what is ASMR?Jaune: [sotto voce] Well, let's just say it's a way to get that funny, tingling feeling in the back of your neck. Like when you get a haircut. Or when that special girl says "Hi!" in the hallway.
[Right on cue, Pyrrha appears in the doorway.]
Jaune: Pyrrha, get out of the shot!
- After this, Nora sneaks in beside Jaune, inhaling quite a bunch in preparation...
- What makes this sketch even funnier is that Jaune's voice actor, Miles Luna, actually did make an ASMR video.
- Nurse Ruby: Weiss is sick! So Ruby gives her... a warm glass of whole milk, a video game (Kung Fu Ninja Slayer Ultimate Death Battle 2) and a motivational poster (with Blake instead of a cat). And Yang does the same thing when Weiss tries to get her to get her medicine, because she also got the idea from Taiyang. Weiss clearly forgot the fact that Ruby and Yang were siblings.
- Also to note is the video game title. A sly reference to their friends at Screwattack perhaps?
- Ruby says this is appropriate treatment for a cold because it's what her dad used to give her when she was sick. Then she coughs.
- When Weiss doesn't want the game, Ruby admits that the first instalment was better.
Episode 12 - Little Red Riding Hood
- Littering: Sun and Neptune, in their Junior Detective roles, really screw around with Jaune by framing him for littering and eventually pummeling him; however, Neptune gets beaten up in short order by Jaune, causing Sun to jump in.
- Jaune seemingly deceived by the Paper-Thin Disguise of fake mustaches.
- Little Red Riding Hood: The entire sketch qualifies, being about this "original stage play" by team RWBY, narrated by Ozpin.Ruby: What is good in the hood?
Ruby: Yeah, we tried to put her in a home, but she wasn't having it. Soo...gotta go feed her.
- The line Ruby makes when the narration explains why she has to go visit her grandma.
- Blake asks why Zwei couldn't be the part of the wolf, and Ruby says that you can't be mad at that face. Zwei smiles, dropping the rope holding Blake in the air, causing Blake to fall face-first onto the stage. Blake's response is a muffled "I can be mad at that face".
- Ruby threatening Blake with her own sniper-scythe, as written in the play. Becomes Hilarious in Hindsight later, as Blake points out that the Woodsman isn't necessary as a result of the weapon.
- A joint invocation between this and Crowning Moment of Awesome: Zwei's scene change routine ends with him carrying Blake to the stage unassisted. And that happened after he held Blake up with a rope - again, unassisted.
- This exchange sent Team JNPR into laughter:Blake: Just get in bed, Grandma.
Yang: Easy there, Wolfie! You haven't even bought me dinner yet! Heyo!
- Blake's voice actress Arryn Zech has even stated that it was hard for her to say that line with a straight face.
- After Blake "devours" her, Yang assumes a Pose of Supplication, lamenting that she was too young to die (despite being a grandmother). Blake, who just wants to get this over with, takes the opportunity to boot Yang in the tuckus, punting her off-stage and off-screen.
- The exchange between Ruby and Blake where Red Riding Hood comments on her grandmother's appearance, the latter flatly deadpan the entire time.Ruby: Gee grandma, what big eyes you have!
Blake: Wow, what an insensitive thing to say to your loved ones.
Ruby: And what big ears you have!
Blake: You know I'm really self-conscious about them. Thanks for bringing it up.
Ruby: And grandma, what big teeth you have!
Blake: Okay, you're just a rude little brat. I'm gonna kill you.
- A subtle detail, but when Blake says she's sensitive about her ear size... she reaches for her human ears.
- Blake's deadpan little roar as she's about to kill Ruby, and her butt-wiggle before she leaps out of the bed.
- After Yang makes a joke about Blake's "big bad breath", Ruby flips out. And for added humor, the previously-frozen Blake just falls from her mid-air 'kill' position and HIDES under the bed.Ruby: YANG, THIS IS A SAD SCENE! THE AUDIENCE CAN'T BE SAD IF THEY'RE LAUGHING!
- Professor Port's voice-only cameo.Weiss: Why do I have to be the Woodsman anyway? [Pulls out Port's blunderbuss-axe weapon] And why does this weapon have two axe-blades? You can't even aim!
Port: [Off-screen] Ho-ho! Personal preference!
- When Weiss and Blake point out the plot holes in Ruby's play, this only infuriates Ruby more, as the page image states.Ruby: [stomping the ground in anger] YOU GUYS ARE RUINING MY VISION!
Weiss: Who wrote this stupid story anyway?
Ruby: I DID! THANK YOU VERY MUCH!
Yang: Ugh, no wonder; Red Riding Hood's a total Mary Sue character.
Yang: "Beloved by many, and known for her hood." You totally based her off yourself.
Ruby: [seethes with anger, complete with several seconds of hair-pulling, eye-twitching, and teeth-grinding, then abruptly stops] I like to think that art is open to interpretation!
- The ending:Ozpin, who's been obligingly narrating this whole thing: Wait a minute... aren't you kids all supposed to be in class?!
[The four players quietly, but visibly panic as they realize they're in real trouble.]
Ruby: ...CHEESE IT!
[All four run off stage, while Zwei trots out to take a bow.]
Episode 13 - Spin The Bottle
- Spin The Bottle: Team JNPR, along with Weiss and Neptune, play Spin the Bottle, with Jaune going first. It seems to stop first on Pyrrha who is ecstatic, keeps going to Weiss who is not happy and finally stops... on Ren. Everyone stares for a long moment, then slowly looks up to Ren. Jaune is in shock, while Ren is unfazed and simply pulls out breath freshener after several moments, expression and demeanor never changing.
- Special mention to how Nora, the one who brings the bottle, places it so that it points directly at Ren.
- Blake vs. Zwei Pt. 4: Blake and Zwei go into the next round. She's expecting an ambush and checks the entire room. And we mean all of it. Under the bed, inside a lamp and between the pages of a book. Satisfied, she lies down on her bed. To her horror, he's on her bed, playing the pillow].
- Nora Workout: Nora forcing Team RWBY to train with her because they need thunder thighs. Blake mentions that she thought that was a derogatory term. Nora disagrees.Nora: [stomps down and literally makes the earth shake] You. Tell. Me!
- A Freeze-Frame Bonus reveals that the name of the book that Blake holds at the beginning of the skit is "DEALING WITH HYPERACTIVE CHILDREN".
- Her training regime is brutal, to put it mildly.
- Naturally, Team RWBY cannot keep up while Nora isn't even breaking a sweat. Of course she isn't sweating, it's her warm up.Nora: [pulls out Magnhild] Bench this! 765 reps! [throws it at Ruby's face and sends her flying]
Yang: [out of breath] She's not human.
Jaune: [off screen] You're telling me.
[camera pans over to Team JNPR, Jaune in a full body cast, Ren and even Pyrrha both with an arm in a sling]
Jaune: Try living with her.
Nora: Did I say you could stooooop?!
Episode 14 - Big Vacation
- Tired Blake: Zwei tries to cheer up Blake, who's collapsed to the floor after a difficult test and is far too exhausted to fight back. All the while, a violin remix of "I May Fall" plays in the background.Blake: I did not ask for this. These are unauthorized snuggles.
- Then there's Blake's warning to Zwei after she grabs in and pulls him in for more cuddles.Blake: Didn't say to stop! [Zwei licks her face] If you tell anyone about this I will shave your butt.
- Then there's Blake's warning to Zwei after she grabs in and pulls him in for more cuddles.
- Big Vacation: This skit has Ruby convince Weiss to let her come with her on her vacation. A split second later, the rest of Team RWBY, Team JNPR (minus Pyrrha) and Sun and Neptune join in.
- Blake is walking by, holding a fork and knife, eyes wide, declaring "I want all the fish."
- Ren dragging a terrified Neptune, confused by the fact that his name is Neptune and he's scared of the water.Ren: I don't understand. Your name is Neptune. (Ikr...)
Neptune: No water! PLEASE! NO WATER! (Seriously. This begging is hilarious.)
- Zwei steps out of Ruby's suitcase, dressed up in his own little Hawaiian shirt.
- Junior Detectives - Bad Cop: The Junior Detectives are back, trying to get Nora to confess to eating the pancakes. Somehow, it turns into Neptune confessing to the crime!
- Ren's trying to pick out the culprit, which is Nora blown up like a balloon again, and among the rest of the line up is Ruby picking her nose, Weiss being grossed out by it, Blake reading a book, Yang flexing her muscles (which catches Blake's attention), and a bashful Pyrrha.
- Ren acting like a traumatized victim during the selection, clinging to Neptune.Neptune: [patting Ren's head] Shh... It's gonna be all right... She can't hurt you any more.
- Neptune gets exposed as the culprit and Nora is the undercover cop. note Sun: JUST TELL US WHERE YOU WERE!
Neptune: I WAS COMING BACK FROM DANCE CLASS!
Sun: AH HA! Uh, wait, what?
Nora: And then what?!
Neptune: AND THEN I ATE ALL THE PANCAKES! [slams himself onto the table]
Nora:' [puts on a mustache] Nailed em~! [fist bumps Sun]''
Episode 15 - Neptune's Phobia
- Bad Boy Jaune: Jaune and Zwei are a pair of bad boys, tearing up the road together on their motorcycle! Except they're not on the road, they're sitting in the garage with a fan blowing on them. And it's not Jaune's motorcycle, it's Yang's, and she is not happy that they're using it (or that Jaune is wearing her sunglasses). And then Zwei abandons Jaune when Ruby takes him to go eat Weiss's homework.
- Neptune's Phobia: More gags are made at the expense of Neptune's hydrophobia. He jumps up and clings to Sun's head when a car drives through a puddle near him, and in a series of flashbacks, we see that he: refuses to leave the house during a rainstorm unless he's hiding beneath at least a dozen umbrellas; showers while fully clothed, and also wearing swim goggles and water wings; and ignores Jaune exaggeratedly drowning less than ten feet away when he's temporarily covering for Sun on lifeguard duty. For a full 20 seconds. And Jaune repeatedly resurfacing to yell for help. Then Jaune's air-bubble pops, saying "Dead." It's the memory of that last incident which causes Neptune to acknowledge that his hydrophobia really is a problem.
- Nora's Gift: Nora tries to give Ren a present while simultaneously denying it's from her and claiming she doesn't have romantic feelings for him.
- After he refuses it...Nora: No, wait! You can't just "pass" on a present from a secret admirer!
Ren: Why not?
Nora: Because she spent days and days and tons of effort just to find the right gift to express the love that she feels for you! [Blank White Eyes as she realizes she's Saying Too Much] Is what I'm guessing. Since she's a secret.
- Ren then points out that it could easily be a trap from their enemies, or worse, one of her pranks, and walks off. He was right on the latter count, it seems:Pyrrha: Uh, Nora? Your gift... is kind of... um... growling?
Nora: Oh my gosh! I forgot the air holes!
- After he refuses it...
Episode 16 - Bike Race
- Bike Race: Yang, Ruby and Weiss prepare for a race. Yang on Bumblebee, Ruby riding on a wagon being pulled by Zwei and Weiss... on her grandma's tricycle, Stardust. Weiss cheats by freezing the others.Ruby: Hahahahaha, I wish she could see how dumb you look! [sees her wagon's flame sticker peeling off] Oh no, my stickies!
- Part this and part heartwarming is just how happy Weiss looks during all of this. She responds to Yang's snarky comment with the proud assertion that yes, this was her grandmother's tricycle, and the smile she has as she pulls off the starting line makes her look like the happiest girl in the world.Weiss: [pedaling away very slowly] Stardust, away!
- Look at Blake in the background, she's stifling her laugh since the moment she realized Weiss was getting away with it.
- Yang and Ruby's reactions to being frozen in place by Weiss.
- After Weiss rides away, Ruby and Yang struggle to break out of the ice, with Ruby trying to pull her body out, and Yang merely punching it. It makes one realise that Yang should have just used Ember Celica to break out easily. Assuming she wasn't angry enough to melt through.
- Part this and part heartwarming is just how happy Weiss looks during all of this. She responds to Yang's snarky comment with the proud assertion that yes, this was her grandmother's tricycle, and the smile she has as she pulls off the starting line makes her look like the happiest girl in the world.
- Stand Up Yang: Yang and bad puns. 75 seconds of pure Cringe Comedy. God dammit, Yang.
- It gets so bad that Sun takes over, not sitting well with Yang.Sun: This is worse than Ozpin throwing new students off a cliff! [audience snickers] Right? I mean, what's he going to do when they graduate, set them on fire?! [audience laughs]
Yang: No, don't listen to him! You! Stop being funny!
Sun: How about you start being funny!
- It gets so bad that Sun takes over, not sitting well with Yang.
- Jaune Ennui: Not only does Ruby have to deal with a Grimm stuck on her cape, Jaune has to deal with the fact that Blake mistakes him for Sun!
- In keeping with RWBY Chibi's tendency towards humorous book titles and Chibi!Jaune's tendency towards Butt-Monkey-dom, the book he's reading is simply called "Another Pun." Even the animators can't be bothered to come up with a proper gag for him!
- When the Grimm goes nuts, you see Zwei charge off towards the action. A few seconds later, he goes flying back the other way, and he is not reacting at all when this happens. And at the same time, Ruby's yelling that plot progression is happening right now... but clearly she doesn't know what spin-off she's part of.Ruby: Oh no! Too much adventure! Oh boy! Aww, this is gonna get crazy! Plot progression! It's happening, right now!
Episode 17 - Save Nora!
- Bathroom Break: Jaune is having a Potty Emergency, but everyone else keeps getting through the door of the one available bathroom ahead of him. It doesn't help that he doesn't want to admit to Pyrrha what his Potty Dance really is.
- The reason Sun needed to jump ahead of him? Just needed to wash his hands.
- Also, the subtitle jokes are through the roof this episode! These include unintelligibleshit.exe and look_at_the_f*cks_i_don't_give.png!
- Save Nora!: Nora must be rescued from that vicious Beowolf! Where is Ren? Not you, Sun! Beat it, Yang!
- Nora is not pleased when Yang comes to her rescue.Nora: No, no, no! What are you doing?!
Yang: I'm... saving you?
Nora: Do you know how hard it was to find a Beowolf around here?
Yang: Pretty easy? I mean, they're like, around every corner.
Nora: Get out of here! You almost ruined everything!
Yang: You are so weird.
- By the time Ren shows up, Nora is literally hanging on to the tail of the Beowolf to keep it from fleeing her.Nora: Oh no, I am helpless, and in danger! I'm not done with you yet! Bad Grimm, bad Grimm!
- Ren is nevertheless impressed at Nora's strength, and compliments her on it. When Nora realizes what he said, she hugs the Beowolf's arm in joy — snapping it in two in the process.Nora: Whoops! I broke another one.
- Nora is not pleased when Yang comes to her rescue.
- Upgrade Time: Officers Abs and Nep decide it's time for an upgrade. Okay, Neptune's first idea was a musical number, but he goes with Sun's idea.
- The shopkeep once again is running multiple businesses, and is ecstatic with the amount of Lien that the two are dropping for their new stuff.
- They finally get all their stuff, gear up, and are about to jump on their two new motorcycles. But there's a problem: all their armor is so damn heavy, they can't even walk properly. To make matters worse, a certain pair of "street rats" suddenly dash in and steal the bikes note
Episode 18 - Evil Plans
- Return of the Pickles: Ruby is trying to open a pickle jar, but can't seem to get it open. So Sun tries his hand at it and neither can he. But Yang manages to open it! Apparently while also throwing a plate, a potted plant, and Zwei. But she did it! And also got her hand stuck in the jar...Yang: Oh, you just don't know when to quit, do you?
Ruby and Sun promptly run for the hills in panic
- Throughout the entire skit, look at the kind of pickles that Ruby, Sun and Yang are trying to open. They're sweet pickles. Guess Ruby learnt her lesson ever since the first time she had trouble with pickles.
- Also, the fact that Yang finally gets the lid off by blasting it with her gauntlets.
- Another subtle Call-Back: Once again, nobody can get the lid off because it's once again being turned the wrong way...
- Evil Plans: Cinder boasting about her evil plans out in the open, with Emerald questioning if they should be doing so. Cinder reassures her...right when Ruby and Nora walk in. When questioned about the complicated scheme, Cinder replies that it's definitely not evil and that it's a cake recipe for a kitten charity. Ruby and Nora buy it, even after Mercury walks in casually calling them evil dudes and holding a bazooka for killing kittens.Mercury: What up, evil dudes. I've got the Kitten Killer 9000 up and ready to- [sees Ruby and Nora and slowly backs out of the room] Oookay.
- Even funnier is what Cinder wrote on said "Ultimate Evil Plans".Ultimate Evil Plans: Chaos = YES PLEASE! Hugs = NO! Grimm = LOTS AND LOTS! Puppies = Probably Not.
- Cinder's first reaction to Ruby and Nora barging in was to stand in front of the white board while quickly exclaiming "Not Evil!"
- Also Cinder's and Emerald's annoyed reaction to Ruby and Nora's invitation to a BFF party, where they invite people they barely know to become their new BFFs.Emerald: Of course you would.
- A nice bit of Slapstick follows this when Cinder flips the white board over - hitting Emerald square on the head.
- And Emerald being utterly baffled by the girls missing all the clues.Emerald: They're messing with us, right?
- Even funnier is what Cinder wrote on said "Ultimate Evil Plans".
- Butler Of Cakes: Weiss cannot cook, to the point that she doesn't know what the actual name of the "food room" is. She normally just has her "cake butler" bring her cakes. One of the four cake butlers they have back in Atlas.
- In general, Weiss' Rich in Dollars, Poor in Sense status is really played up this episode, to the point that she doesn't know better about playing with oven controls.Weiss: Since when are drapes flammable?
Ruby: Since always, Weiss! Drapes have ALWAYS BEEN FLAMMABLE!
- Weiss' idea of dealing with kitchen fires:Weiss: [running in circles with her eyes closed] Run away, run away from the fire!!!
- After finding out that the cake is ruined, Ruby mourns its loss, draping a cloth over it and weeping, "Goodbye, my delicious friend. You never had a chance!" Followed by Weiss blaming the disaster on Ruby for putting her in charge.
- And finally, the aftermath:Ruby: At least help me clean up this mess!
Weiss: Exactly what do you mean by "clean up"?
Ruby seethes with anger, before flooring a startled Weiss with a spray from the fire extinguisher.
Ruby: Ask your cake butler.
Ruby walks off, but not before throwing the fire extinguisher behind her, nailing Weiss in the head.
- In general, Weiss' Rich in Dollars, Poor in Sense status is really played up this episode, to the point that she doesn't know better about playing with oven controls.
Episode 19 - Pillow Fight
- Life of Zwei: Ruby thinking that Zwei is lazy while he's busy saving the day - doing things like rescuing Jaune from some Grimm, helping Ren defuse a bomb, and finding a pendant Weiss's father gave her.
Cinder: My nefarious plans! My evil schemes, all ruined! *Shakes her fist towards Zwei* Curse you, adorable corgi!
- Though one has to wonder, how did Ren end up in a situation where he'd need to defuse a bomb?
- Seeing Zwei somehow managing to defeat Cinder, Emerald, and Mercury single handedly is both funny and satisfying.
- "Pillow Fight": The book Ren's reading at the start? It's the same "Dealing with Hyperactive Children" Blake was reading a few episodes back.
- Sun and Neptune's reaction to the news Team RWBY was about to have a pillow fight along with the fact Ren is Not So Above It All.Sun: Oh, I suppose you're too cool for— [gets hit in the face by Ren's book] OW! MY BRAIN BOX!
Ren: You had me at pillow fight!
- The opening shot of RWBY's pillow fight contains Zwei doing his tumbleweed impression from Episode 5.
- Much like the first episode of Season 2, the girls use the pillows as though they were their normal weapons.
- The entire fight sequence, complete with a dramatic, grandiose soundtrack, is simultaneously funny AND awesome.
- While dodging all of Yang's pillows, Blake teleports onto Yang's bed... where she makes a seductive pose, winks, and pats the bed.
- Yang is unable to hit Blake with a pillow, so she throws Zwei on her and wins.
- Yang cradles Ruby in her arms as her younger sister "dies".
- Sun, Neptune, and Ren's disappointed reaction to Team RWBY's western showdown/pillow fight.Sun: This isn't what I was expecting.
Neptune: [clearly disappointed] ...Yeah.
Ren: They have brought dishonor to the great name of 'Pillow Fights.'
Sun: Well there's only one thing left to do.
- Sun, Neptune, and Ren then have a dainty pillow fight of their own, and Ruby shakes her head and calls them amateurs.
- During the boys' pillow fight, Sun, Ren, and Neptune all end up injured or hurt in some manner.Ren: [trips on Sun and flies offscreen] Ow! My toe!
Neptune: Ow! Ow! Ow! Ow! Time out! Feather in the eye! Feather right in my eye!
- The fact that the girls are doing the big testosterone-level 'pillow fight', while the guys are doing the more feminine version. Talk about Swapped Roles for gender.
- Sun and Neptune's reaction to the news Team RWBY was about to have a pillow fight along with the fact Ren is Not So Above It All.
Episode 20 - Roman's Revenge
- Double Trouble: Ruby, Jaune, and Weiss talk to a motionless Blake seeking advice from her, and they all take her silence in different ways. Ruby takes her silence as advice she shouldn't let one test get her down, Jaune believes Blake is telling him confessing to Weiss would be a disaster, and Weiss believes Blake found out about something she did and is blackmailing her.
- We find out that the motionless Blake is merely a shadow clone that Blake forgot to make disappear, and she is confused when Ruby and Jaune thank her along with getting a whole lot of tuna from Weiss calling her the 'worst.'
- Zwei vs Beowolf
- Zwei and Cinder's pet Grimm barking at each other much to the dismay of both Ruby and Cinder.
- And based on the body language of the little Beowolf, Zwei won the intimidation level of the encounter.
- There is also Zwei sticking his tongue out at the audience as he is dragged away.
- Before this all starts, we see a scene transition of Zwei chasing Cinder. This is equally hilarious and satisfying, especially after Zwei managed to beat Cinder in an Off Screen Moment Of Awesome in the previous episode.
- Zwei and Cinder's pet Grimm barking at each other much to the dismay of both Ruby and Cinder.
- Roman's Revenge: Roman and Neo acting in a way not unlike Drakken and Shego, with him being hilariously over the top and her being the far more competent and snarky sidekick.
- Roman Breaking the Fourth Wall.Roman: You thought you could just move on to a spin-off comedy series and leave ME behind? Guess again!
- Neo holding up signs similar to Wile E. Coyote to indicate what she is saying. Particularly the one she secretly shows to the audience, in response to Roman's promise that 'things will be different' - they won't.
- When he turns around, she hides the sign and bats her eyelashes at him in an overly innocent manner.
- Roman referencing Scooby-Doo and The Wizard of Oz:
- Roman getting Blank White Eyes when Neo pulls a BFG five times her own size out of Hammerspace, then complaining about her showing off.
- Zwei once again proving to be a Spanner in the Works for the bad guys by stealing Roman's weapon, then shaking Roman around like a ragdoll as he tries to retrieve it and "accidentally"(?) shooting and blowing him and Neo up.
- Roman asking Neo how he looks after getting blown up, with Neo hold up a sign stating, "Fetching." The bored/sarcastic look on her face is priceless.
- Gets even funnier once you realise that Ruby and Zwei playing fetch is what got them blown up in the first place.
- If you carefully watch the moment when Roman falls back into the frame after being blown sky-high, you may notice that his model seems to briefly slow down in mid-air before hitting the ground. Apparently, the animators failed to put his character model high up enough to simulate him falling from a great height.
- Roman Breaking the Fourth Wall.
Episode 21 - Cinder Who?
- For this episode, the people at Rooster Teeth decided to take RWBY parodies from the internet and turn them into animated cartoons, a la Batman: The Brave and the Bold. They were, in a word, near-perfect.
- Friend Forever: For this first skit, Ruby decided to get her and Weiss friendship bracelets. It's a pair of handcuffs.
- Letter To Winter: This skit is a word-for-word reenactment of Dumb_RWBY, with Weiss finding it increasingly hard to compliment somebody who eats a cookie via nose, which was a reference to a moment in the very first episode of the real series when Ruby, thanks to some laziness on the part of the animators, appears to eat cookies by inhaling them.Ruby: Hey Weiss! Wanna see me eat this cookie through my nose?! Check it out! *cuts away as she puts her cookie on her nose*
- Checkmate: This third skit has Yang and Ruby playing chess, with Ruby managing to win and say checkmate. (No, Yang doesn't go nuts after losing). A surprisingly okay Yang decides to call good game, before Weiss and Blake break into the room with weapons drawn, causing Yang and Ruby to regret their choice of attack-naming (which included "Checkmate", meaning Blake (black) and Weiss (white) teaming up).
- Cinder Who?: Last, but certainly not least, is Ruby and Weiss attempting to remember Cinder's name, only to end up with deceptively-similar sounding names such as:
- Cinder Mall (Cinder shops for her Volume 3 outfit, asking Emerald if it looks like something young people wear).
- Also in the background is a store called "Always 17", which offers a discount both on all hero clothing and on all evil clothing.
- Cinder Falls (Cinder falls down the stairs with Mercury laughing his head off, and Emerald looking shocked). Complete with a group of Type B Losing Horns, courtesy of the score.Cinder: STOP LAUGHING AND HELP ME!!
- Cinder Doll (Mercury plays with a sock-puppet Cinder mocking her Evil Plan, to Emerald's amusement).Mercury: [in a high-pitched voice] All part of our nefarious plan!
[Emerald cracks up laughing happily.]
- Cinder Stalls (Junior Detectives Sun and Neptune try to search Cinder's room for evil plans, with Cinder coming up with terrible excuses and even resorting to hitting on Sun to hold them off. Meanwhile, in the background, Neo, Emerald and Mercury are desperately trying to hide everything).
- At the end, Emerald is desperately trying to keep Neo from just shooting Sun and Neptune with her death ray, while Mercury is egging her on with an evil grin.
- When she compliments Sun's abs as part of the distraction, Sun gets a big grin and glances up at Neptune as if to say "See?"
- And finally, Emerald (whose perception-altering Semblance caused no end of havoc in the main series) and Neo (who has an illusion-casting Semblance) could have avoided all the trouble by completely fooling Sun and Neptune with their combined Semblances.
- Cinder Lols (Cinder laughs at Emerald and Mercury when they fall down the stairs.)
- Cinder Bawls (World peace and eternal happiness have been achieved, with Cinder crying her head off and lamenting the ruining of her nefarious schemes.)Cinder: NOOOO! MY NEFARIOUS PLAAANS! [cries]
- The fact that while all the villains are standing around, despondent and unhappy that they lost, it's Mercury who's trying to cheer up Roman.
- There's also a shot of Weiss, Blake and Yang doing a line dance across the screen - a direct lift from one of Monty's screenshots (found here).
- And last, but not least, the old Shopkeep is seen cleaning, then puts his mop down and starts HEADBANGING.
- In the end they just decide her name is "Cinder Autumn or something."
- Cinder Mall (Cinder shops for her Volume 3 outfit, asking Emerald if it looks like something young people wear).
Episode 22 - Security Woes
- Game Night: Everyone from Team JNPR is bored, so Jaune tries to get his team to play a board game about compost and farming, titled "Compost King". They're all even more bored by the thought of it, so they change the whole concept of it from being about farming to fighting aliens, and they get Jaune to go along with it by having the aliens be weak to organic compost.
- Nora is so desperate for entertainment that she is pounding on Ren's head with Magnhild before Jaune walks in.
- After Jaune tells his team that they're about to play a "really fun board game", Nora is more than eager to start playing.Nora: Ooh, I love board games! How does it work? Tell me tell me tell me so I can CRUSH YOU ALL.
- Pyrrha tries to let Jaune down gently after the rest of the team finds out how boring his game sounds.Pyrrha: Hm, okay. Yeah... That- that sounds kind of like...
Ren: ...The opposite of super fun.
- Security Woes: Cinder and her lackeys are going to security, but Mercury can't make it through security because of his metal legs. He's then put through the searching machine and is seen crying a single tear while being x-rayed.
- There's also the fact that Mercury's Single Tear shows up in the x-ray machine, coming out of his eye socket.
- The Floor Is Lava: It involves Ruby constantly warning everyone who comes into the room that the floor is lava. Everyone either doesn't believe her or just humors her.
- Blake is seen reading on Yang's bed at the beginning of the skit.
- Weiss uses her glyphs to avoid touching the ground.
- Yang uses her weapon to catapult herself to reach her bed and begin reading next to Blake.
- Roman Torchwick outright doesn't believe Ruby and gets instantly melted for not listening. Ruby's reaction is merely saying, "I tried to warn him."
- What makes this part even funnier is that as he's melting, Weiss, Blake and Yang are actually surprised to see that happening!
- Even better is that only Roman's hat remains after he melts.
- Also, remember that two episodes ago, he threatened the heroes and their dog. Looks like it's a tradition for villains who do that to melt.
- Ruby is clearly expecting her teammates to climb over the furniture in order to traverse the room, and is clearly disappointed when they don't.Ruby: Weiss, this is a matter of life and death! Tell her Blake!
Blake: [clearly uninterested] Yeeeeeah...life and death.
Ruby: Look, I don't know how it happened, but if you treasure your life you must learn the ways of parkour, balance, and gymnastics— [after Weiss uses her glyphs to zoom across to Blake's bed] Okay, well, that's just cheating....
Weiss and Blake: [never looking up from their reading] The floor is lava.
Yang: Oh! No foolin'!
Ruby: YES! Dear sister, if you value your life you'll tread carefully. One misstep could mean certain doom— [in response to Yang's Recoil Boost trick] You guys are the worst...
Episode 23 - A Slip Through Time And Space
- The Great Dust Robbery: Sun and Neptune are walking past the Dust store when Neptune's "crime sense" flares up and sends him into a vision. Sun guides him through the process, and Neptune discovers that the bin he's standing next to isn't up to code. Meanwhile, the store is held up by Roman and Neo.
- Dance Practice: Yang and Pyrrha walk through Beacon's courtyard as Yang gushes about Team JNPR's impromptu dance scene in Season Two. Pyrrha nervously avoids revealing the truth: Ren's a mean-tempered dance instructor, and choreographed that scene RELENTLESSLY - yelling at Pyrrha, belittling Jaune about not losing enough weight and sneaking chips under his bed, and ultimately driving Nora to tears.
- Ren: [notices Pyrrha is not in sync with the others] STOP!
Ren: You know I love you, but "kick step, kick step, body roll" It is not. Rocket science!
Pyrrha: [embarrassed] I-
Ren: IT'S "KICK STEP, KICK STEP, BODY ROLL"!
- This is made funnier when you realize that the dance number was requested by Monty, and that the person he voiced was Ren. Even more so when one considers that Monty was also an expert dancer.
- A Slip Through Time and Space: Ruby makes a crucial mistake by giving Nora coffee. As Ren and Ruby both try to snap Nora out of delirium, Nora's consciousness slips through multiple parallel universes (listed below), before finishing on Nora's voice actor, Samantha Ireland, as she asserts her good health in the real world. She then takes a quick coffee break, goes wide-eyed and returns to Nora on what looks to be the usual Chibiverse...until she finds out that Ruby's and Ren's voices are switched, and Zwei has Jaune's voice. In short, one long sequence dedicated to OBLITERATING the fourth wall, with a healthy dose of Epileptic Trees to boot.
- The universes themselves are one long case of Serial Escalation: First, there's one where Ruby and Ren have merely switched positions next to her, then one where they wear each other's clothes, then one where Ruby is replaced by Blake, then one where Jaune replaces Ren as well, then one where they are both replaced by Roman and Neo - with both appearing to be genuinely worried - then Sun and Neptune, then Sun and Neptune with their Detective mustaches (and one on that Nora as well), then Ren and the Shopkeeper, then Ruby and the Shopkeeper, then two Shopkeepers, then Neptune and Jaune writing a script - then going to the real world with Samantha recording Nora's lines for that very skit.
- The credits play with this too and put Neptune Vasilias/Voice Director for Kerry, Jaune Arc/Voice Director/Zwei for Miles and Nora Valkyrie/Herself for Sam because apparently Miles and Kerry aren't themselves when they direct.
Episode 24 - The One with a Laugh Track
- This last episode was one long sketch (split into five sections) entitled The One With A Laugh Track. It was essentially a pastiche of Saved by the Bell, Friends and Seinfeld with RWBY's characters and setting - and it's replete with cheers, laughs and other emotes from a live audience, and even features an announcer. In short, it was a masterful and perfect send-off to the first season.
- Act I - RWBY are seen in their dorm, with Weiss trying to study while Blake's reading, Ruby's playing with a paddleball, and Yang's gazing through the window with a pair of binoculars. When Weiss realises that Ruby's paddleballing is distracting her from work, she repeatedly clears her throat with rising emphasis. When Ruby doesn't notice, she clears her throat in the most ridiculous sense, all while standing right next to her. Ruby then responds:Ruby: You doing OK, Weiss? You should probably see a doctor about that cough. [audience laughs]
- After debating the right spot for studying, Weiss asks Yang what she's looking at. Yang replies that she can see the men's showers, and that their fight class is almost done. Disbelieving Yang, Weiss takes them, realises that Yang was right...and proceeds to cheerily admonish her, whilst shamelessly looking through the binoculars for herself, as Ruby and Blake join them. When Weiss sees someone entering, Yang grabs them back... only to find that it's a naked PROFESSOR PORT. Cue Yang fainting, and varying degrees of Squick from the other three.
- Weiss then says "Today couldn't possibly get worse...". Jaune promptly jumps into the room - "HELLO, Team RWBY!" - and proceeds to invite Weiss to a dance, with a level of suave he NEVER hit in either series. No prizes for guessing how Weiss responded to his advances, though. And all the while, Ruby pulls plenty of cheesy asides during Jaune's sequence.
- Act II - Cutting to a commercial, this one features Pyrrha advertising the cereal she promoted prior to the main series. This involves eating it, too. Pyrrha awkwardly gets through a spoonful, then proclaims:Pyrrha: [awkwardly] Mmm... Taste that? That tastes like victory!
- Act III - The following commercial shows Roman advertising Neo's own brand of Neapolitan ice cream - called Neo's Neo of all things - a la Pepperidge Farms. When the announcer hastily discloses that, in spite of Roman's earlier claim, the ice cream probably is poisonous, Neo simply holds her placard up, denying the announcer's claim.
- Speaking of Neo, she just looks utterly bored throughout, like she'd rather be anywhere else. That is until she holds up her sign, at which point she smiles and winks which can only be interpreted as it's definitely poisoned.
- Act IV - As Team RWBY and Cinder's faction hang out in the kitchen, Sun approaches Blake and asks her to a "gun show". Blake accepts, even after dismissing it as a cheesy idea. As Blake holds her hand out for Sun, Neptune derails - no, utterly TORPEDOES Eclipse by dragging Sun with him to an actual gun show - with Sun protesting despite his promise to Neptune to hang out. Also, Neptune's voice and demeanour throughout this sequence is more feminine than usual, too.
Weiss: Hey, wasn't Team JNPR supposed to be here with the cake?
- After Yang tries to cheer a speechless Blake up, Weiss wonders where team JNPR are with the cake. Hilarity Ensues.
Ruby: They were?
Weiss: Yeah, I told Nora to bring cake!
Yang and Ruby: [turning to each other] You don't think... ?!
Neptune: Hey. Didn't there used to be a door here? [the doorway is completely and impassibly filled with pancakes]
Yang and Ruby: [high-pitched] NO, DON'T!!
- The pancake seal promptly gives way, complete with a ten-pin strike sound effect. The camera pans out, revealing Neptune dazed by (and up to his neck in) the resultant avalanche, which contains Pyrrha, Jaune and Ren. Both Blake and Ruby have Blank White Eyes, Yang's cringing, and the look of utter surprise on Weiss's face is priceless. To cap it off, Nora SURFS down the avalanche of pancakes, and says the next line after starting a ballerina's twirl.
- Ren then asks Ruby if he could borrow her scythe to cut some slices out of the pancake mountain. Her response?
- The Finale - right after her Catch-Phrase, Ruby profusely thanks the viewers on behalf of the rest of the cast, who gather around her in the kitchen set, as the audience applauds, the camera pans out and the music cues in. She finishes with yelling:Ruby: AND WE'LL SEE YOU NEXT SEASON! THANK YOU; GOOD NIGHT!!
Season Two Trailer
- The teaser trailer for Season 2, where Ruby opens a box labelled "Season 2" to find Penny inside, and she's already running despite Ruby looking for batteries. When Ruby later glumly tells her that she needs to find a battery for Penny, Penny gives her one. The only problem is that it's THE battery that keeps her running.Penny: Here you gooooooooooo- (shuts down)
(Beat, then Ruby starts screaming with Blank White Eyes, which is interrupted by the logo and the season 2 release date)
Penny: Just kidding! I do need this, though.
- After the title and release date, it cuts back to Ruby's screaming and reveals that Penny trolled Ruby about the battery.
- There's also the fact that the box Penny is in looks like the packaging for a POP! vinyl figure... which, considering the Super-Deformed style of the show, is quite appropriate.
Episode 1 - Director Ozpin
- Director Ozpin: Season Two starts off with the intro scene to RWBY Chibi... until Yang slips and pushes the "CHIBI" word on the logo out of whack. All four girls promptly fall as the logo collapses, with Weiss dropping onto Ruby's lap and Blake landing on Yang's head.Weiss: This is SO unprofessional.
Ruby: Ugh, you're telling me!
Ozpin: Ladies, ladies... We have a show to do. What is the problem?
- Headmaster Ozpin, who's directing the scene, promptly walks on with megaphone in hand and calms the four girls down (asides from Weiss, who's fiddling around on her scroll without caring about what's happening).
Yang: The problem is Blake sitting on my head!
Blake: (while jumping off of Yang) Well, I wouldn't be if Yang hadn't knocked everything over!
Ozpin: Ruby, I'd have to be a pretty incompetent leader if I didn't notice something like that happening right under my nose, don't you think?
- Ruby then posits the idea that there's sabotage in the studio, which Ozpin ponders lengthily... while Mercury and Emerald "accidentally" whack Ruby in the head with a mic boom and almost brain Yang with a falling light, respectively.
- After Ruby reaffirms her claim of sabotage, Ozpin bursts out laughing and refutes her suggestion.
Ozpin: Now run along, all of you. Why don't you go play in a forest full of deadly Grimm?
Ozpin: (Muffled) Hello? Can I get some assistance? This giant rose seems to have fallen on me completely by accident!
- After the girls walk off set, Ozpin remarks, "Such sweet girls, but so naive." And in a juicily ironic twist, he promptly gets flattened when Cinder pushes the rose symbol of the logo on top of him. The last sentences say it all.
Cinder: Honestly? Sometimes, I think it's too easy.
- UFO: With Jaune providing sound effects, Pyrrha uses her shield to mimic a UFO abducting cows off of the Compost King board (in a nod to Game Night from Episode 22) to entertain an enraptured Nora. Suddenly, Pyrrha sneezes and drops her shield on the board, squashing the two cows. After Pyrrha says her Catch-Phrase in a surprisingly heartwrenching tone, Nora cries loudly. The whole thing's played as though Pyrrha and Jaune were parents entertaining a baby.
- Pausing certain versions of the subtitles at the exact moment when Pyrrha sneezes gives us this gem: "(The cows squeak and moo out in horror and were suddenly silenced)". Followed by "(Cries for the squished cows)" when Nora starts bawling.
- Dodgeball: Nora, Yang and Ruby are in the courtyard with Sun, Neptune and Jaune. Enter Zwei and Penny who thanks them for inviting her to dodgeball. Except she doesn't call it that.Penny: Thank you for inviting me to play your game of "Dodge The Ball Then Eliminate Your Enemies With The Ball", Ruby!
Ruby: We just call it "Dodgeball", Penny. Also, we're all friends here, not enemies.
Penny: Of course! I will adjust my targeting parameters!note
- Next, Ruby deflects a suspicious Officer!Neptune from picking Penny's robotic nature, with not much help from the accused.Neptune: My Junior Detective Senses™ are telling me something's off about her!Ruby: Ha, what?! No, there isn't! She's completely normal! Isn't that right, Penny?The other six characters exchange confused glances as Penny winks and gives a thumbs up.
- While the others continue their conversation, there's a Funny Background Event where Penny offers her wink and thumbs up to Zwei, who backs away slightly.
- After this, the game then proceeds with Zwei on Ruby's team and Penny on the boys' side. To put it simply, Penny singlehandedly wrecks the other team, much to the surprise of the boys. Then, an angry Yang gets up, punches the ball hard, and accidentally decapitates Penny with it, with her head landing in Jaune's arms. This doesn't stop her head from working like normal.Penny: Oh my! This is embarrassing!
Everyone else runs off screaming.
Ruby: (Among the screaming) OH MY GOD SHE'S NOT A REGULAR PERSON I HAD NO IDEA!!
Meanwhile, Penny's body catches her head and fixes herself like nothing happened. Then Neptune leans into shot.
Neptune: Yeah... Definitely something weird about this girl.
- Next, Ruby deflects a suspicious Officer!Neptune from picking Penny's robotic nature, with not much help from the accused.
Episode 2 - Geist Buster
- Book Lovers: Blake is approached by Ruby and Yang, whom ask her if they can borrow some of her books. What does Blake do? Uses four of her shadow clones to pick up a mountain of books for each sister, then hugging them both for sharing appreciation for good reading. Little does Blake know that Ruby and Yang used them to set up book forts with Jaune and Ren, then deciding to play catapults with said books, breaking down Jaune and Ren's fort.Ren: Sir, we've been breached!
Jaune: Prepare for hand-to-hand combat!
Ruby: Take no prisoners!
Yang: I never knew books could be so much fun.
- Shiny Badge: We next see Officer!Neptune trying to clean a badge, and he asks Officer!Sun how to keep his badge shiny. Sun just tells him to "use a little elbow grease", while Zwei hides in the bush next to Sun and licks the Faunus's badge clean. Of course, Sun has craftily smeared peanut butter on his badge for just this purpose.
- Geist Buster: Roman and Neo jovially laugh (with "MUHAHAHA" written on Neo's placard) as the former releases a Geist Grimm into Beacon. The first thing it does is possess Roman's hat and dump it on Neo's head.Roman: NO, NOT MY HAT! The girls! Attack the girls! (while holding a picture of the title screen)
Neo: Hats off to you. (while sniggering silently)
- It starts by possessing the bookcase in team RWBY's room and tormenting Blake, Yang and Weiss by using the books as projectiles, then knocking over Yang's bed on top of all three of them.Blake: (after getting hit by one of the books) AGH! (sees a dozen books flying in the air) Why have you betrayed me, books?
Weiss: I don't understand! Why is this happening?!
Yang: It's like I always suspected; text books are evil!
- The Geist then moves to the kitchen and possesses a stack of pancakes that Ren had just made.Ruby: Hey Ren! Whatcha doing?
Ren: I am performing culinary magic!
(The Geist possesses the pancakes and causes them to fly off the plate.)
Ruby: (nervously) Well, you weren't kidding.
Ren: I'm good, but I'm not that good.
The pancakes start flying around in circles, one of them whacking Ruby in the head.
Ren: Why do I always make so many pancakes?!
Ruby: Oh... I never knew it would end like this! Really! It never would have occurred to me!
- And then the inevitable happens with pancakes:Roman: Finally, victory is mine!! Nothing can stop me now!
Nora jumps into shot.
Nora: (In a deep voice) I'M SO HUNGRY!
She eats all of the pancakes AND the Geist Grimm in one hit, much to the villains' collective surprise.
Ruby: Nora! You saved us from the Grimm!
Nora: What Grimm?
Nora then slurps and smacks on her fingers, then notices the pancake on Ruby's head.
Nora: You gonna eat that?
- And then the inevitable happens with pancakes:
- It starts by possessing the bookcase in team RWBY's room and tormenting Blake, Yang and Weiss by using the books as projectiles, then knocking over Yang's bed on top of all three of them.
Episode 3 - Magic Show
- Magic Show: With the rest of the cast cheering on, Jaune starts off his magic show complete with top hat and cape... without his assistant appearing when cued.Jaune: Thank you all for coming! I'm The Amazing Jaune, master of the magic arts, and this is my lovely assistant Ruby!
Jaune: I said, my lovely assistant Ruby! (whispers) Ruby! What are you waiting for?!
Ruby explodes into view from a cloud of dust, wearing the same get-up.
Ruby: TA-DA! I am Ruby the Great, mistress of the magic arts!
Jaune: (still whispering) What are you doing?! You're making me look bad!
Ruby: Okay. Number one, you don't need any help to do that. And B, I am not your assistant! I am your magical partner!
- Next, Jaune and Ruby declare a "magic-off". The former pulls a (chocolate) coin from Sun's ear, and Ruby outdoes that by pulling a blank check from Yang's brain.
- Yang's expression when Ruby reaches into her brain is priceless.
- Jaune then announces the main event; pulling "an amazing creature" out of his hat. No prizes for guessing who he pulled, and how said person reacted.Jaune: This is the main event! Behold, as I summon forth an amazing creature from my hat!
After a few false starts, Jaune yanks an extremely pissed-off Velvet out of the hat by her bunny ears.
Velvet: (angrily) Hey! Watch the ears!
She escapes Jaune's grasp and lands on the stage, while Jaune gasps in shock.
Velvet: (grabs onto Jaune's ear) How do you like it huh?! Feel good? You like that?!
Jaune: I'm sorry - I didn't know! Ow!
Velvet hits him on the head as Ruby walks on stage.
Ruby: Well, that was... pretty good.
Jaune: (while his ear gets pulled) Thank you - ow. Thank you so much - uh-uh-ow. The Amazing Jaune will be here all week - OW!
- Next, Jaune and Ruby declare a "magic-off". The former pulls a (chocolate) coin from Sun's ear, and Ruby outdoes that by pulling a blank check from Yang's brain.
- Find A Penny: Pyrrha and Jaune chance upon a penny coin on the pavement. After Pyrrha picks it up and declares "Find a penny, pick it up; all day long, you'll have good luck!", she and Jaune then see Ruby walk past with Penny over her shoulders.Ruby: Way ahead of you!
- Kick-Off: After an intense face off, a six-a-side soccer match starts up with the five villains and a Beowolf on one side, and team RWBY paired up with Jaune and Zwei on the other side. As Nora throws the ball up, Mercury does an impressive flipping sequence, then accidentally uses his gun-greave against the only ball available, and falls flat on his back with the ball landing on his face.Mercury: Oops.
Nora: Well, that was the only ball, so I guess it's a tie-game. Let's go home, everyone!
The whole cast (sans Roman) moans as one.
Roman: What? No! We trained for weeks! We could've actually won for once!
Ruby: Oh well! Ah, I guess now we'll never know. Good game everyone!
Roman removes the ball from Mercury's face as he and the rest of the villains walk past with unamused expressions.
Mercury:I'm sorry; it went off by mistake, OK?! But hey; at least I kinda ruined their fun! That's a kind of victory right? An evil victory?!
Neo: Nice footwork dum-dum.
Mercury promptly gets hit with the deflated ball
Mercury: I thought this wasn't a contact sport.
Mercury: Let's do this!
- The staredowns before the match are equally hilarious, including Jaune agreeing with Neo that he'll "be sorry", Weiss thanking Emerald for complimenting her dress, Zwei making the Beowolf back down again, and Blake's...Trash Talk:
Blake: It's already done!
Mercury: What's that supposed to mean?
Blake: What's your face supposed to mean?
Episode 4 - Dad Jokes
- Neptune's Game: Neptune plays an online battle game against someone who's always beaten him, with Ren and Sun watching on. After unveiling a new strategy, Neptune executes it perfectly... only to be defeated yet again. After Neptune slides off the couch in tears, Sun's tail emerges from behind him, holding the offending controller. Ren isn't amused.Ren: Why do you torment him like that?
Sun: It's much more fun than the game itself.
Neptune: It's like he's inside my head!
- Snaps: After she hops across the screen in transition, Velvet takes a picture of Ruby holding her scythe with her camera weapon. After flipping through a number of palette swaps, Velvet chooses the "no-filter" option - Crescent Rose in full color - much to Ruby's approval.Velvet: Eh, no filter.
- One of the filters gives Crescent Rose a pair of glasses and sparkles. Ruby is delighted, but Velvet isn't impressed.
- Dad Jokes: Neptune, Sun, Yang and Ren converge into the kitchen/lounge room to find Nora sprawled on one of the chairs. They discover that Nora had eaten five plates of waffles, which are twice as filling as pancakes. Rather than help, Yang starts to aggravate the others through a means that doesn't need explaining.Yang: I guess you could say that Nora's really... fed-up?
Neptune: Uh, we should probably send for help.
Yang: Hey guys, I think Nora... bit off more than she could chew, am I right?
Sun: Yang, quit screwing around! This could be something serious, like indigestion! Why do you do this?!
- Unfortunately for him and the rest of the room, Sun promptly gets his answer.Taiyang: Hi kids!
Yang: Dad, how'd you get here?
Taiyang: How do you think? I used my legs!
Sun: Oh no! The only thing worse than puns!
Taiyang: By the way, I just want to give a big shout-out to all the sidewalks...for keeping me off the streets!
Sun: (in an incredibly slowed-down voice): DAAAAAAAAD JOOOOOOOOOOOKES!
- Of course, Sun's complaint about this gets even funnier when you realize that his VA is entitled to make them now.
- Aside from the Xiao Longs, the room empties itself quick-smart.Ren: (while jerkily walking backwards) I just remembered; I have to iron all of my clothes!
Neptune: And, uh, I have swimming practice! Yep, conquered all my fears!
Sun: I have to, uh, I was gonna, er, my thing was... ah forget it!
Sun promptly jumps through the window.
- Now left with a catatonic Nora, the Xiao Longs make the audience cringe with pain for the rest of the skit.
- Unfortunately for him and the rest of the room, Sun promptly gets his answer.
Episode 5 - Girls Rock!
- Fearless Hero: Velvet is cornered by the villains (except for Cinder). Suddenly, a "bunny-signal" appears on the wall behind them. Cue a masked Jaune (with an equally disguised Zwei) swinging in on a rope (similar to his sort-of namesake), armed with Ruby's cape, Yang's gauntlets, and Nora's hammer to save the day.Jaune: (in a low voice) It is I, the crime fighter known as, the HuntsMan! And his heroic sidekick, Wonderzwei!
Zwei barks in affirmation.
Neo: How mysterious!
- Naturally, Mercury and Emerald see right through it. Unfortunately for them, Jaune's gotten better at handling other people's weapons.Mercury: What? "HuntsMan"? Aren't you just a huntsman? Because we already have those and they're basically superheroe—
Jaune: Hammer of Silence!
Jaune sends Mercury flying with Magnhild.
Roman: Egads! We're clearly no match for this mysterious new hero and his plucky sidekick!
Emerald: What are you talking about?! It's just that goofy Jaune guy who's always falling over stuff.
Jaune: Gauntlets of Shut Up!
Jaune promptly punches Emerald offscreen into a trashcan with Ember Celica.
- Roman, of course, falls for the whole shebang and leaves with Neo.Roman: Dahh - we'll meet again, HuntsMan! And next time, I'll be ready for you, and your stylish outfit!
Neo: Cute puppy!
- Velvet then tries to thank her rescuer. Unfortunately, fate decided to catch up with Jaune at that moment.Velvet: Thank you for saving me, HuntsMan! But weren't you scared?
Jaune: Ha, ha-ha! HuntsMan and Wonderzwei fear no-one, simple civilian!
Ruby: (offscreen) Hey! Who took my cape?!
Yang: (offscreen) I know someone didn't touch my gauntlets!
Nora: (offscreen) Where. Is. My. HAMMER?!
Jaune promptly adopts a pant-shitting expression.
Jaune: Oh, except for them! We fear them, gotta go. Bye!
- Naturally, Mercury and Emerald see right through it. Unfortunately for them, Jaune's gotten better at handling other people's weapons.
- Whistle: Zwei is chewing angrily on a book with Weiss, Yang and Ruby trying to discipline him. Weiss fails abysmally.Weiss: Zwei! Bad dog!
Zwei whimpers and looks sorry, and Weiss goes into wide-eyed animal lover mode.
Weiss: Oh, it's OK! I love you!
Zwei goes right back to chewing on it.
- After this, Ruby apologizes to Zwei and blows on an ultra-sonic dog whistle. Zwei drops the book and cowers... then Blake and Velvet immediately burst into the room, clearly annoyed at the noise hurting their animal ears, and Blake slaps the whistle out of Ruby's hand. Weiss and Yang are in Blank White Eyes mode, and Ruby is still mid-flinch as the two faunus slowly walk out, Blake glaring at Ruby the whole way.Velvet: Not cool!
- After all this, Zwei resumes chewing on the book again. And next episode, we find out that Zwei's a successful author. No doubt his behaviour is his attempt at literary criticism.
- After this, Ruby apologizes to Zwei and blows on an ultra-sonic dog whistle. Zwei drops the book and cowers... then Blake and Velvet immediately burst into the room, clearly annoyed at the noise hurting their animal ears, and Blake slaps the whistle out of Ruby's hand. Weiss and Yang are in Blank White Eyes mode, and Ruby is still mid-flinch as the two faunus slowly walk out, Blake glaring at Ruby the whole way.
- Girls Rock!: The girl band sketch alluded to in the trailer is finally shown. After Nora announces the battle of the bands Beacon's holding, the five girls get their instruments into the courtyard. After Yang does her "melt your bones" routine, Taiyang goes into full Amazingly Embarrassing Parents mode, much to the band's collective chagrin.Yang: Dad, I was trying to melt people's bones!
Taiyang: You can do that and smile, sweetheart. Ruby, stand up straight!
Ruby does so.
Yang: Ugh, you're the worst.
- As for their warm-ups, Ruby (upright bass), Nora (drums), and Yang (axe-shaped guitar) seemed to be able to play competently, while Weiss (keyboard) just played 'Chopsticks' (and this was after pointing out that she's the musically gifted one; by "musically gifted" she probably meant her singing voice). And as for Blake, who was literally dragged into it, she just stands there slumped doing a half-hearted slap of a tambourine on her leg. Following the last skit, it's clear that loud noises don't mix well with Blake's ears.
- At the beginning of the sketch, Ruby, Weiss, and Yang were posing in their room for some reason while Blake just reads her book before Nora enters.
- And while Yang, Weiss, and Ruby immediately agree to join Nora in making a band, Blake isn't so eager... but Ruby pulls her along anyway, by her book. What makes it truly hilarious is that if you play it in slow motion, the book actually flies up into Ruby's hand while she jumps past Blake, instead of Ruby grabbing the book.
- And Ruby floats through the air on the way out, with Blake following suit.
- Yang calls herself "edgy and cool". The comments went insane about this and made tons of jokes related to it. Examples include "edgy" characters (such as Shadow the Hedgehog, Ragna the Bloodedge or Ryuko Matoi - which becomes another joke as Ryuko and Yang share the same Japanese VA) telling Yang to "hold their beers".
Episode 6 - Super Besties
- Super Besties: Late one night, Ruby gets out of bed and decides to influence Weiss in her sleep. It's equally funny and creepy.Ruby: (whispering) Weiss, are you asleep? Weiss...
Weiss: (sleep talking) I love you most of all, cake butler.
Ruby: Listen closely. You want to be Ruby's BFF.
Weiss: Oh no. Don't want that.
Ruby: Yes, yes, yes, you do! You want to hang out and do fun activities with Ruby, all day long!
Weiss: I... do?! That's terrible!
Ruby: (picks up Weiss's ponytail and strokes it) No, it's good! Also, you're going to tell everyone that Ruby's your super bestie, better than the restie!
Weiss: Okay, I guess.
Ruby: Perfect! You're also going to wear matching outfits!
Suddenly, a flash of lightning startles Weiss awake, and Ruby promptly flashsteps into her bed and pretends to be asleep.
Weiss: Oh my gosh; NO! What a strange dream. I must be studying too hard. Better get some rest. I have a full day of fun activities tomorrow.
Ruby leans down from her bunk as Weiss drifts off, holding matching shirts that read "Weiss and Ruby = BFF's".
Ruby: Sleep, little snowflake! It's all going according to plan!
- The morning after, Ruby drags a hypnotised Weiss out the door to have fun, with her and Ruby wearing the outfits.
- Blake and Yang, who were looking on, decide to comment on the whole shebang.Blake Should we be... worried about this?
Yang: I'm sure it's fine—
Ruby leans into the doorway with an outstretched hand, causing Yang's hypnosis to kick in.
Yang: (while handing over said items) Feel free to use my motorcycle, and here's a little spending cash for you!
Ruby runs out with a smug Cat Smile, just before Yang shrugs off her hypnosis.
Yang: What just happened?
Blake: I'll tell you what happened. You and Weiss obviously have weak minds and are easily manipulated.
Blake closes the book she was reading as she says this, revealing that Ruby tricked her into wearing a "Back-up Bestie" shirt, much to Yang's alarm.
- Pay close attention to Blake when Yang hands over the keys to her motorcycle. It's immediately apparent that she realizes something is horribly wrong.
- Rat In The Hat: After a hilarious transition of Roman chasing Neo (who's wearing his bowler hat), we see Roman holding the shopkeep up a la a bank robbery... except he is in fact demanding his bowler hat, which had been getting dry-cleaned. After putting it on, Roman calms down considerably.Roman: Ah... it just isn't the same without you, sweetheart.
Roman walks off whistling.
- Meet The Author: Blake and Ruby are at a book signing (at a library where Tukson is employee of the month), with Blake gushing (and hyperventilating) about the author's skills in question - even though she's never seen him in person before. After getting to the head of the queue, Blake wishes she hadn't.Blake: Where is he?
The shadow people ahead of Blake clear off, revealing a bespectacled and pipe-sporting Zwei as the author.
Blake: No. (runs out of the store crying) NOOOOO!!
Blake runs out of the store crying.
Ruby: On the bright side, I think I can get you a date!
Ruby turns to Zwei.
Ruby: Man, that obedience school really went all out on you, huh?
Zwei barks in affirmation, with bubbles getting blown out of his pipe as a result.
Ruby: If you love him so much, why don't you marry him?
- And the sign next to him says "1 Tummy Rub Per Book Signed".
- During Blake's gushing about the author, this happens:
Blake: Don't be silly.
Blake suddenly jumps on top of Ruby and starts hitting her with the book.
Blake: But do you think he would at least go out on a date with me?! I mean, I'm his biggest fan!
Ruby: Ah! Yes! No! Uh, I-I dunno! Stop hitting me!
Blake: Oh my gosh, you're right! I'm folding the pages! (She then starts hyperventilating)
Episode 7 - Must Be Nice
- Late To Class: Much to the consternation of Oobleck, Ruby is running chronically late to his classes. The punishment meted out for it?Oobleck: Detention!
- All the while, Ruby uses more and more ridiculous ways of getting in "undetected". The second time, she pretends to be an exchange student (complete with false moustache and a ridiculous Russian accent, which gets exposed quickly. This is followed by Ruby abseiling into the room - only for Oobleck to spin her around so hard on her rope, that rose petals start getting released from her body. Finally, Ruby tunnels her way in... and quickly realises there's a distinct lack of people around.Ruby: I made it! HAH! Nobody can remove me from this seat! NOBODY! Wait, where is everyone?
Oobleck: Ah Ruby! Just in time for Saturday detention.
Ruby: SON OF A -
- During Ruby's second attempt, Nora's eyes are blank and half-closed as though drowsy. After the disguised Ruby makes her grand entrance, her expression remains totally unconcerned with what's going on.
- All the while, Ruby uses more and more ridiculous ways of getting in "undetected". The second time, she pretends to be an exchange student (complete with false moustache and a ridiculous Russian accent, which gets exposed quickly. This is followed by Ruby abseiling into the room - only for Oobleck to spin her around so hard on her rope, that rose petals start getting released from her body. Finally, Ruby tunnels her way in... and quickly realises there's a distinct lack of people around.
- Must Be Nice: Yang berates Weiss for being so mean, and wishes that she'd be nice all the time, like Pyrrha. Nora, who's walking past the exchange, reveals that it's not always a good thing.Jaune: And that is all of the one-liners I think we should incorporate into our fights! So, what do you think?
(cut to Pyrrha, who's struggling not to give Jaune a piece of her mind as Nora watches on)
Pyrrha: Boy! You are just so creative!
- This gets even funnier when one realises that Jaune's VA is responsible (in part) for writing the scripts.
- Just before the flashback, Nora sips milk from the glass she's holding for a little longer than necessary. And she does this again after Pyrrha slumps over in exhaustion from holding in her complaints.
- Evil Class: Cinder is in a classroom with the other villains, trying to teach them about booby traps. Emphasis on "trying".Cinder: Settle down, peons! Let's get this evil class started!
Roman: Look, maybe these amateurs need it, but I'm a criminal mastermind! This class is an insult to my dignity!
Right on cue, Mercury unleashes a spitball onto Roman's bowler hat.
Roman: Who did that!? Mercury!
Mercury shrugs while Emerald giggles.
Cinder: Everyone focus! Today, we're learning about booby traps!
Mercury: Hah! She said "trap"!
Cinder: Quiet! I need to concentrate. This is a very delicate procedure!
- After Cinder explains her plan (namely, placing a stick of dynamite in an ordinary cake), she asks if there are questions. Mercury and Neo ask the right ones.Mercury: (whining) When's lunch?!
Cinder: I meant about the cake.
Neo: Is it gluten-free?
- Roman then suggests booby-trapping a flan, which Cinder angrily refutes. And then Mercury chimes in.
- Following this, Cinder becomes angrier still when Emerald points out the obviousness of the plan. Thinking that her subordinate doesn't understand the idea, Cinder lights the wick to demonstrate the plan - which proves to be a big miscake.Cinder: (after lighting the wick) See? Now when you lean in to blow out the candles -
The other four silently panic.
Emerald: Uh, Cinder?
Cinder: Yes! Emerald! What could you possibly still not understand about this concept!?
Emerald: (points at the dynamite) Well...
Neo: Happy birthday.
Roman ducks, Neo shuts her eyes, and Mercury just crosses his arms and smiles smugly while Cinder finally realizes what Emerald's getting at.
- After the resultant explosion, Cinder grumpily walks out bedecked in the cake's remains.Cinder: I. Hate. Teaching.
Cut to an equally cake-bedecked Professor Port standing next to her.
Port: Tell me about it!
- Throughout the whole sketch, look at the chalkboard drawings behind Cinder. These include the words "Booby Traps for FUN and MAYHEM", Nora crawling towards a stack of pancakes under a classic stick, string and box trap, Zwei behind a NO symbol, and what appears to be Pyrrha with a few arrows flying at her.
- After Cinder explains her plan (namely, placing a stick of dynamite in an ordinary cake), she asks if there are questions. Mercury and Neo ask the right ones.
Episode 8 - Boy Band
- Pet Party: Ruby and Zwei are walking down a corridor, with the former promising to take the latter to what she calls a "pet party". Nora walks up and begins to question Ruby about whether she could come along.Nora: Pet party? What's that?
Ruby: Wink! (both vocalised and done)
Nora looks non-plussed.
Ruby: You know, it's a yearly party where Zwei can check (winks as she says this) up, on all his pet friends! And he can get a shot (winks even harder) of fun while he's there!
- After begging to come along (and getting denied), Nora then proceeds to accidentally derail everything Ruby's said.Ruby: Look. I can't say where I'm really taking him or Zwei will freak out and run away! And it takes forever to get him back!
Nora: Why?! It's not like we're taking him to the vet!
Zwei's happy expression shifts into one of fright, his eyes start twitching, and the camera glitches out. Suddenly, he makes a Zwei-shaped hole into a room with Jaune inside.
- After Zwei creates an unholy cacophony offscreen which features car crashes, explosions, and freaking laser weapons, Nora, still smiling the entire time, asks when she could come to the pet party. After this, a gibbering Jaune delivers a perfect punchline.
- Funny on its own, someone on Twitter found a hidden easter egg around when the camera starts to glitch: it's Zwei's butt.
- Alternatively, look at the way Nora says the word "vet" and how she's smiling at the camera. She KNOWS what "the pet party" is, and is doing this on purpose.
- After begging to come along (and getting denied), Nora then proceeds to accidentally derail everything Ruby's said.
- Tai Dye: Ruby and Yang are on the couch, the former reading a magazine and the latter watching RWBY's fight with the Nevermore on her scroll. Enter Taiyang with a tie-dye t-shirt, trying to catch their attention.Ruby: It's a tie-dye shirt! We get it Dad!
Taiyang: (grumbling) You girls don't appreciate comedy.
- Before that, we get a transition of Taiyang wiping out on a skateboard. Which may be a possible reference to this videonote .
- Boy Band: After a funny transition of Jaune creeping across the screen while hiding behind his shield, we see the sparkly trio of Neptune, Sun and Ren pose to music on the courtyard, preparing to take on the girls in Beacon's battle of the bands. Enter Jaune, who's done up like a mime. Or so it appears.Jaune: This is totally cool!! Like that classic rock band, Smooch! Or, for the younger generation, the Lunatic Jester Brigade - if you like terrible music.
Neptune: Ren, please don't go! Everyone knows you're the best at dancing in the whole school if you don't choreograph the best dance then we'll never win the battle of the bands and be the coolest kids in the school!
- After finding Jaune's appearance to be too weird, Ren tries to leave, but Neptune pleads with him to stay while clinging to his legs.
Ren: Wow, you've really got a lot riding on this, huh?
Neptune: Look, I'll-I'll-I'll talk to him, just don't leave, okay? Okay. (while saying this, he picks up a very surprised-looking Ren and sets him down next to Sun)
Neptune: Is this, uh, latex-based?
- Promising the others to fix the miscommunication, Neptune then approaches Jaune to correct him on the makeup. However, Neptune comes to regret it - he's allergic to the stuff it's made out of.
Jaune: Yeah. W-why?
Neptune: I, uh, might be allergic.
Jaune: How badly? Can you still dance?
Neptune: (Neptune's hand swells up and turns red) By nightfall I won't be able to move.
Ren: Is there... anything we can do?
Neptune: (Neptune's head inflates and turns red) Remember me... as I was...
Episode 9 - Coming Home To Roost
- Coming Home To Roost: After Yang retells the same katana joke to an utterly bored Blake and Weiss, Ruby jumps into the room with the news that Uncle Qrow is visiting. While Ruby gushes about how cool he is, Qrow's avian form keeps hitting the window. Even better, a remix of his theme plays when Yang and Ruby gush, only to cut out abruptly with each impact.
- Eventually, Qrow runs into the room, opens the window, then barrels out of there. When Blake enquires about who that was, Qrow finally makes his transformation entrance on the windowsill. Ruby squees out and jumps on top of him, causing his Semblance to kick in by making the pair fall out the window.
- When Weiss dismisses him as a drunken loudmouth, Ruby replies he prefers the term 'Reckless Rogue'.
- Read The Sign: Amongst a large protest, the three faunus cast members all hold up equality signs. Next to be seen is Ruby, Nora and Zwei calling for no homework on weekends (and Yang for 'Save the Bees'). Then we find Weiss and the teachers calling for more homework on weekends, and we finally see Neo with a megaphone. She opens her mouth wide, then lowers it and holds up her own sign.Neo: (while making a kissy face) This is just how I talk!
- Mention must also go to her magnificent Troll face after lowering the megaphone.
- Other signs shown include "NO MORE CURFEW!", "DOWN WITH VEGETABLES!", and "WE WANT PIZZA!".
- Meanwhile, the Dust Shop owner is randomly popping up in the background, with an angry expression and shaking his fist. It's clear he doesn't approve all these protesters conducting their activities in front of his shop(s).
- Life Coach: We first see a frightened Jaune running face-first into the camera in the transition, followed by Yang pushing him towards Weiss, who's standing in the courtyard with Ruby. As it turns out, Jaune's been working on his confidence with Yang's coaching, and he successfully asks Weiss out for a date. However, his new-found confidence goes straight to his head.Jaune: How about a little appetizer before dinner?
Much to Ruby and Yang's shock, Jaune leans in for a kiss. Weiss is visibly disgusted.
Weiss: Ew. I've changed my mind.
Weiss promptly freezes him in an ice block with Myrtenaster, then walks off.
Jaune: Uh, okay, message received. May have gone too far. Can someone let me out, please?
Yang: Yeah, he's not ready to be a Yang man.
Ruby and Yang walk off, and then Zwei takes a leak on the ice block.
Jaune: Yeah, that makes sense.
- Before Jaune's attempt at asking Weiss out goes awry, we get three flashbacks showing his confidence training. In order, they are: 1) stopping Zwei from peeing on his shoe, 2) ordering extra ramen from the Dust Shop owner, and 3) seeing off a (actually tiny) Beowulf who was about to urinate on a tree. And Yang shows up and silently congratulates him every time.
- Fridge Brilliance: Zwei peeing on Jaune would've melted the ice he was trapped in eventually, although that may not have been Zwei's intention.
Episode 10 - Cool Dad
- Cool Uncle: Qrow starts off by showing Yang and Ruby what "snake eyes" are on a pair of dice, when Taiyang and Zwei enter the room.Ruby: Uncle Qrow is teaching us important life lessons!
Tai: (skeptical) What kind of life lessons is he teaching you?
Yang: You know, like "love is for suckers" and "rules are for fools"!
Tai: (aghast) Wait. What?!
Yang: And "never get caught cheating because it's only cheating if you get caught"!
Tai: (gasps) Qrow, what are you telling my girls?!
Qrow: It's a harsh world out there, Tai. I'm just teachin' em what they need to know. (takes a sip and thumbs up Ruby and Yang, who reply in kind)
Tai: But I have a tattoo! And sweet cargo shorts!
- After that exchange, Tai gets emasculated by his daughters and Qrow for his lack of coolness, who walk off to set off some illegal fireworks. Then, much to his consternation, Zwei walks out to join them. Cue the elder Xiao Long angrily and mockingly imitating Qrow - which includes trying to drink the strong stuff he was nursing earlier. It doesn't go down well.
Qrow: Yeah, that's adorable. Come on, girls. Let's go set off some, heh, illegal fireworks.
Ruby and Yang prance off to go join their uncle in the fireworks, with Zwei following right behind, causing Tai to gasp in shock.
Tai: Tch, I can do anything Qrow can do.
He sits on Qrow's erstwhile seat and starts to poorly imitate him.
Tai: "Blah blah blah, break all the rules, ehh. Look at my messy hair".
Tai messes up his hair to mirror Qrow's.
Tai: "I spend an hour every day styling. Hey bartender, gimme another drink. It's been two minutes since my last one."
Tai takes a sip of Qrow's drink and immediately spits it out
Tai: (while clutching his throat) It burns...!
- Clean Behind the Ears: Neptune lies asleep as a Geist Grimm sneaks up on him. Suddenly, the door knocks, and the Geist hides within a bath brush. Enter Sun, who declares his return from the gym, all covered in sweat, and tells Neptune he's taking a shower - completely unaware of the possessed brush he just picked up. Cut to the Geist shaking in fear.
- Cool Dad: After a hilarious transition featuring Qrow striking a pose before his cape blows into his face, we see Qrow walking around with Yang and Ruby after the first skit, telling them the tail-end to a tale.Qrow: And that's why you never tell a cute waitress your real name!
Yang and Ruby both laugh heartily at the story. Enter Tai getting pulled on a skateboard by Zwei.
Velvet: Hey... who's that weird guy staring at us?
- After Tai claims to an incredulous Yang that he's skated for years, Zwei gets distracted by a cat and runs off - dragging Tai with him and causing a car crash.
- Next, we see the family at a pool. Qrow pulls off a perfect dive (complete with small splash), then Tai slips, bounces twice, and hits the water so hard he sinks gradually.
- Then we cut to within a nightclub, and witness Qrow busting out some good dance moves in front of Velvet, Ruby and Yang. Enter a totally inconspicuous Tai.
The three all turn to Tai, who's dancing like a dork.
Tai: I used to have pretty sick moves when I was younger. You want me to...teach you my...sick moves?
As he says this, Yang face-desks onto their table and Ruby rolls her eyes.
Qrow: Well, my work here is done.
- Then he decides to show his "prowess" off, which winds up in him tripping over backwards and landing hard on his backside.
- And last, when Velvet and Qrow look on as Tai makes up with his daughters, Qrow has this to say:
Velvet: But you didn't really do anything.
Qrow: Didn't I, rabbit girl? Didn't I?
Velvet: My name's Velvet.
Qrow: I don't care.
- Fridge Brilliance sets in when one realizes that Qrow may or may not have caused all of Taiyang's accidents with his Semblance. He was therefore likely telling the truth.
Episode 11 - Movie Night
- Movie Night Part 1: Ruby, Jaune, Sun and Pyrrha are lining up outside a movie theatre, which is showing Camp Camp, Felix and Locus's origin story in Season 14 of Red vs. Blue, and the "That's My Uncle!" episode of Rooster Teeth Animated Adventures. The four of them start debating which film they should see. We get treated to the sight of five films reenacted by the cast.
- First, Pyrrha suggests a romantic movie, imagining herself as a maiden in the forest about to get attacked by a Beowolf. Cue Jaune riding in on Zwei with Crocea Mors drawn to save her. Or not.Jaune: Watch out, fair maiden! I'm here to - GAH!
Jaune and Zwei crash into the Beowolf, with all three landing heavily, much to Pyrrha's concern. Then Jaune holds his thumb up to the camera.
Jaune: It's okay! I Meant to Do That!
Pyrrha: My hero!!
- Dismissing that idea out of hand, Sun suggests an action movie called "Try Hard 2", thinking about himself and Neptune in their detective guises as the lead actors.Sun and Neptune are walking in slow-motion down a street.
Neptune: Dude, why are we walking so slow?
The shop behind them blows up, and Sun dons Yang's aviator glasses.
Sun: That's why.
- While they were blocking some of the letters of the store name it is likely From Dust Till Dawn. That poor shopkeeper keeps having that shop under dire situations.
- At this point, Neptune and Velvet arrive. The latter suggests an animated children's musical, imagining herself as the lead character in a forest setting.
- First, Pyrrha suggests a romantic movie, imagining herself as a maiden in the forest about to get attacked by a Beowolf. Cue Jaune riding in on Zwei with Crocea Mors drawn to save her. Or not.
- Wore It Best: Neo does a fashion show for Roman, with the clever use of her Semblance for quick clothing changes. Weiss's outfit gives Roman the impression of "spoiled brat", Ruby's outfit makes Roman get angry, and his outfit makes him hold up a sign reading "Alright, yea. Looks better on you".
- A little bit of meta humor: Neo was originally based off of a crossplay of Roman.
- Movie Night Part 2: Later that evening, Jaune then suggests "The Huntsman Rises", complete with Jaune in the title role and Zwei as his sidekick. The scene plays out as a parody of a certain superhero adaptation.Jaune: I am dark justice! I am cold vengeance!
As Jaune continues speaking, the camera pans down to the ground, where Cinder, Emerald and Mercury are waiting.
Cinder: (while looking at her watch) How much longer is this going to take?
Mercury: Ugh. He hasn't gotten to do his origin story yet. He retells it every. Single. Time!
- Ruby then suggests a horror film where the lead character gets rained on by an army of Zweis. And why is it classified as a horror film?Ruby: She doesn't get to keep the puppies!
- Eventually, the debate wears on so long, the theatre closes on the six characters. They all promise to get back together next week to do it again.
- Ruby then suggests a horror film where the lead character gets rained on by an army of Zweis. And why is it classified as a horror film?
Episode 12 - Evil Genius
- Dangerous Quests: Ozpin's standing alone in the forest, wondering about the students he's gone and sent on "dangerous missions". As it turned out, these quests were to find personal items he'd definitely not misplaced, such as his house keys (which Ren finds first), his scroll (which Ruby retrieved while her cloak was on fire), and his glasses (which Jaune finds before crash-landing next to the others).
- Additionally, Ruby's find contained a number of embarrassing photos of the Beacon faculty's costume party—or rather, what Ozpin had been led to believe was a costume party by Port. A photo of Oz in his costume nearly induces Ren to vomit. However, as Ozpin dashes off after denying the true purpose of the exercises, Ruby then reveals that Ozpin's not the only liar around Beacon.Ruby: (whispering) I copied the photos!
- Best one? Jaune seems to have been totally fooled and acts like a knight returning from a quest. Look at him as Ozpin tries to distract them while he bolts: he's gazing into the distance looking for what Ozpin was pointing at, still taking it completely seriously.
- Ozpin's grin as he gets ready to dash also deserves mention, as does his cane inexplicably flying after him after he leaves it behind.
- Additionally, Ruby's find contained a number of embarrassing photos of the Beacon faculty's costume party—or rather, what Ozpin had been led to believe was a costume party by Port. A photo of Oz in his costume nearly induces Ren to vomit. However, as Ozpin dashes off after denying the true purpose of the exercises, Ruby then reveals that Ozpin's not the only liar around Beacon.
- Tune Up: Port oversees a workshop for tuning up the weapons. In order, we see Ruby using a power drill on Crescent Rose, Yang using a blowtorch and goggles on Ember Celica, Weiss wearing a surgical mask as she cleans Myrtenaster's dust chamber, and Penny sharpening one of her blades with lasers within her eyes. Finally, we get to Jaune, who's trying to use an inflatable hammer to "reforge" Crocea Mors.
- Evil Genius: We see the beginnings and aftermaths of Roman's schemes, which invariably become noodle incidents that wind up badly for him and Neo. However, Roman's still upbeat about the whole shebang.Roman: I have many more schemes. I'm the scheme-iest. I am heavy with schemes!
Neo: And light on adjectives.
- First, their death ray has teething issues, and we see Roman and Neo walk into their hideout becaked in soot because of it.Roman: Alright, so it still has a few bugs to work out.
Neo: Like blowing up?
- Second, the mind-scrambler was placed on Roman's head instead of their target's head.Roman: Me-me-me-mental note— The —Brain Scrambler goes on the VICTIM's head, NOT ON MY-my-MINE-mi- What was I saying?
Neo: It doesn't mattter.
- And third, the Infinitube-Glove has a bad issue with the Wi-Fi draining the batteries. Torchwick then bursts into tears at his string of failures. Neo pities him, and duly suggests an alternative plan of action.Roman bursts through the door and tosses the Infinitube-Glove on the floor.
Roman: If Wi-Fi's gonna drain the batteries that fast, then what's the point?! WHAT'S THE POINT?!
Roman drops to the floor, and starts crying and flailing his legs around.
- After acquiring it, Roman declares the fro-yo brain food, planning to defeat Ruby after enjoying the refreshment. He raises the cone to his lips...and it promptly slides off and hits the pavement. After Roman gets escorted away by Neo while bemoaning how he wishes just once things would go his way, Ruby skips down the street and slips on it.Roman: Just once I wish things would go my way...
After Roman and Neo walk away in pity, Ruby happens to prance on by and slips on Roman's scoop of ice cream.
Ruby: WHOA, MAMA! (lands on her back) Oh, my back! I'm completely defeated! Ahh...
- First, their death ray has teething issues, and we see Roman and Neo walk into their hideout becaked in soot because of it.
Episode 13 - Parent Teacher Conference
- Parent Teacher Conference: Ruby and Yang are sitting with guilty expressions outside Ozpin's office, when Qrow and Taiyang walk on in. Tai angrily enquires why he and Qrow were summoned, and the girls respond predictably.Yang: I object; there are no witnesses! We were framed!
Ruby: Ah— it's society's fault! I'm young and impressionable! Video games made me do it!
- After this, Ozpin ushers the men inside, and it cuts to the aftermath of Ozpin explaining what the girls did.Tai: They did WHAT?!
Ozpin: The good news is that the fire is finally under control. And the cats are supposed to regrow most of their fur.
- The conference quickly descends into a shouting match between Qrow and Tai, which mirrors that of a married couple.Qrow: Well, you gotta admire their ambition.
Tai: Don't encourage them! You know they get this from your side of the family!
Qrow: Whoa whoa whoa wait, don't try to pin this on me. I'm out there every day busting my butt on secret missions, what do you do all day?
Tai: Oh, suddenly you care? You wanna know what I do all day?
Qrow: That's what I'm askin'
Tai: (with tears forming in his eyes) I make a home for this family, that's what I do all day! And it wouldn't kill you to show you a little appreciation!
Qrow: I don't have to listen to your crazy.
Tai: Oh, well you also don't have to eat my cooking!
Qrow: Oh yeah? Well your noodles are overcooked anyway!
Tai: (gasps) How dare you. I want you out. Get out of my house!
- As Tai and Qrow walk out of Ozpin's office, this exchange goes down.Qrow: (after being asked to leave Tai's house) Fine, I will. But I'm taking my drink mixer with me!
Tai: It's a blender, which my mother gave to me.
Qrow: I licked it; it's mine!
Tai: That's not a thing! Stop licking all my stuff!.
Ozpin: Right, well... clearly you girls have been punished enough.
Ruby: We are so sorry for their behaviour.
- After this, Ozpin ushers the men inside, and it cuts to the aftermath of Ozpin explaining what the girls did.
- Blake's Beauty Vlog: Sun sets a camera to record, and pans up to Blake, who's sitting in a chair. She tries to deliver a beauty vlog - and continually gets interrupted by Sun's questions regarding the products she's trying to talk about.Sun: *while Blake is holding an eyelash curler* Oh man, what is that? Are you gonna pull out your eyeball? Is that normal? Is that what all girls do?
Blake: Yes, Sun. All girls pull out their eyeballs to look pretty.
Sun: Sick! Girls are so weird. I’m learning so much. Keep going!
Sun: What's that?
- Then, Blake opens a compact with powder within it...
Blake: Dork repellant.
Sun: No way; really?! Does it work?!
Blake blows the powder into Sun's face, consequently becaking the lens in the stuff and causing Sun to drop it.
Sun: (coughs) Can't see anything! Gotta go wash my eyes!
As he runs off, Blake wipes the powder away from the lens and smiles at the camera.
Blake: (while smiling and winking) Yeah, it works pretty well.
- Surprise Parties: After the funniest transition so far (namely, Ruby riding Zwei like a horse and shouting "YEE-HA!"), we see her meet up with the rest of Team RWBY, and she asks them to help her hold a surprise party for Pyrrha. The rest of her team declines, much to Ruby's initial confusion. Blake and Weiss sum it up beautifully.Blake: (gently) Ruby, try not to take this the wrong way, but whenever you throw a surprise party, things...
Weiss: You're terrible at throwing surprise parties.
Ruby: Wha-whatcha talkin' bout?
- We then see three surprise parties Ruby's held in recent weeks. First, Jaune gets surprised with his team (and Nora nomming on his cake), then Ruby yells "SURPRISE" into a megaphone - sending the man flying into the outside wall.
- Second, we see the rest of RWBY and the whole of JNPR surprise Yang with a Beowolf-shaped cake. Problem is, she mistakes it for the real thing, causing two-thirds of the cake to explode in one punch. She continues to jab at the remainder, with the rest of the attendees becaked in cake... while Nora starts nomming on the cake again with a Cat Smile on her face. In fact, Nora was so focused on the cake that she forgot to yell 'Surprise', was briefly distracted by Yang exploding the cake, then immediately jumped on the chance to eat it.
- As a bonus, the banner is the same from the Jaune party, only with a few letters changed to read "Yang".
- And third, Port finds a gift-wrapped box. He opens it, and a message springs out - "You're old!". Then Sun, Jaune, Nora, and all of RWBY say surprise (including Ruby with her megaphone). This does not end well.Port: (exclaims after the kids shout "Surprise") Agh, my heart! (groans in pain)
Ruby: (with a megaphone) SURPRISE!
Port: (clutches his chest in surprise) Nope, shutting down! (falls to the ground with his leg twitching)
Weiss: Oh my gosh, we killed Professor Port!
Suddenly, Neptune jumps into shot with his trident.
The shot cuts back to team RWBY as Neptune uses his trident as a defibrillator.
- And what does Ruby say about it?
Episode 14 - Cannonball!
- Cannonball!: Nora, Yang and Velvet relax by a pool on some deck chairs, while Jaune and Sun hang around a diving board and Zwei sits in the lifeguard's chair. Enter Penny, who is meant to meet up with Ruby. After confirming that Ruby's not there, Sun then does a cannonball off the diving board, to Penny's curious confusion.Penny: Why is Sun punishing that wooden board?
Jaune: What? Oh, no, we're playing "cannonball"!
- After explaining how it works, Penny declines, saying that she's not fond of water. However, this changes quickly.Jaune: Come on! It'll be fun!
Penny runs to the end of the diving board quick-smart.
Penny: Increasing body mass! Plotting attack vector!
- After she jumps off, with Jaune and Sun fretting about what they just encouraged, Ruby arrives. After Jaune and Sun narrowly avoid telling Ruby what happened in her absence, Penny barrels down on the pool... and lands smack-bang onto Ruby's head, causing most of the latter's body to sink into the concrete. To make matters funnier, the background characters are all crumpled in a heap with their chairs and umbrellas, while Jaune and Sun are flat on their backsides.Penny: Well darn! My targeting computer seems to be misaligned! Oh!... Cannonball!!
- After explaining how it works, Penny declines, saying that she's not fond of water. However, this changes quickly.
- Winter Is Coming: In Beacon's courtyard, we first see Qrow enticing Ruby to watch a monster movie with him, Ruby all too ecstatic to help her uncle sneak candy into the theater.Qrow: Hey there, kiddo. Wanna go see that new monster movie? (Ruby starts squealing excitedly) I could use a hand sneaking candy into the theater.
Ruby: I'LL GO GET MY CARGO PANTS! (Ruby takes off with Qrow joining up behind her)
- Next, Tai offers to spar with Yang.Tai: (Leaps into view from over the Beacon courtyard statue) Hey Yang! How about a little sparring?
Yang: I was gonna ask you the same thing. You just... beat me to the punch!
Tai and Yang fistbump, and Yang throws her father back over the statue.
Tai: Whoa-ho, that's my girl!
- Then, Sun decides to read books with Blake. He makes his entrance by falling out of a tree, slamming face-first into the trunk, and somehow landing still on his feet with Blank White Eyes. And Blake watches without looking the slightest bit surprised.Sun: Hey, ready to try that whole "reading" thing you've been talking about.
Blake pulls out a blue library card and throws it at Sun, hitting him in the face.
Blake: Library card. You'll be needing it.
- Finally, we see Weiss standing on her own, looking rather downcast. Suddenly, Winter calls her over...and goes into full Drill Sergeant Nasty mode, saying that "[she refuses] to allow [her] little sister to stay in any abode that is not up to code. And don't mistake my rhyming for a cheery demeanor." As she walks off, Weiss has this to say.Weiss: Oh, how I've missed her!
- Next, Tai offers to spar with Yang.
- Inner Lives of Beowolves: Cinder stands on a rock within a forest clearing, rallying a horde of Beowolves with her subordinates around her. The camera pans out to a pair of Beowolves named Mike and Marty. The critters start talking, and the skit quickly becomes an hilarious Slice of Life piece with the Grimm - including a Geist called Floyd who acts and sounds like a jock at the gym.Floyd: You should check me out when I possess a bunch of boulders! Way bigger than you dingoes! All about them gaains!
- While the camera pans out from Cinder, her dialogue devolves into "blah blah blah" with grandiose posing, while Mercury is browsing on his Scroll - until Emerald slaps it out of his hand, prompting Mercury to glare at her.
Episode 15 - Nurse Nora
- Sister Stuff: As the title suggests, this skit compares the Schnee sisters and the Xiao-Long/Rose sisters in numerous ways. First, their morning routines get examined, starting with Weiss ballerina twirling into the kitchen, where Winter's waiting.Weiss: A good morning to you, sister!
Winter: Your form could use some work.
Meanwhile, Ruby's chomping down on Pumpkin Pete's, when Yang moves to pour herself a bowl. Problem is, Ruby used it all.
Ruby: The early bird gets the -
Yang promptly fights Ruby over the cereal.
- Next, eating habits get compared, beginning with Weiss slurps her tea in front of Winter.Winter: (coldly) Must you slurp like a savage?
Meanwhile, Ruby accidentally spills a bag of chips all over the sofa, which Yang promptly sits on. She retrieves a chip from underneath.
Yang: Sofa chip! Yum!
She and Ruby both eat one happily.
- Last, the older sisters get compared on how they respond to danger directed at their younger sibling. Differences couldn't be starker.Weiss is running away screaming from a Beowolf and a Geist while Winter stands with her back turned.
Winter: You'll have to learn how to do things by yourself! You'll thank me later!
Suddenly, Weiss pulls a tree branch back and sends the Grimm sailing into the air. Winter smiles at her, and Weiss jumps for joy when Winter's back is turned. Meanwhile, Ruby and Yang are walking past a tree with Zwei when an apple hits Ruby on the head, causing Yang's eyes to go red. She punches a hole through the offending tree, and the two skip off into the distance arm-in-arm.
- Next, eating habits get compared, beginning with Weiss slurps her tea in front of Winter.
- Nurse Nora: Set to an eerie remix of "Boop", this skit shows Nora with a nurse's cap and stethoscope walking towards a sleeping Ren, whose leg is broken. The whole thing reeks of a certain film involving a broken leg, and is hands down the creepiest thing seen within the Chibiverse yet - which is perfectly funny for those with a taste for dark humour.
- First, she wakes him up and checks his pulse by placing the stethoscope on his cast.Nora: Hmm... according to this thingy, you're dead!
Nora: Yeah, no pulse!
Ren: That goes on the chest,not the foot.
Nora then places the stethoscope on her heart.
Nora: Ah! There's the old ticker!
- Next, Nora forces Ren to have his temperature checked before he goes back to sleep. After Ren opens his mouth for the thermometer, Nora tells him to guess again. Cue Ren's eyes going wide and him slapping the thermometer away]
- After Ren insists on needing his sleep, Nora gets the idea of hammering Ren's other leg so it's broken, as a means of testing reflexes. This causes a thoroughly creeped-out Ren to fake recovery and limp out of the room. Cue Nora's face turning towards the camera with a repulsively scary expression.Nora: (in a creepy tone) I knew my love would cure him!
- First, she wakes him up and checks his pulse by placing the stethoscope on his cast.
Episode 16 - Neptune Noir
- Neptune Noir: In a masterly deconstruction of the Film Noir genre, we see Neptune talking to Cinder about a case... but with the small problem that Cinder can hear Neptune's mental narration. Much merriment ensues, as does the jazz saxophone score.Neptune: (narrating) I could tell she was falling for me. Falling for me hard.
Cinder: Wait, what?
Neptune: Uhh - nothing. Care for a drink?
Neptune pushes a glass of milk towards Cinder.
Neptune: (narrating) I was hoping she wouldn't notice that the glass was dirty.
Cinder: Uhh... no thanks.
Neptune: (narrating) She noticed.
- Cinder then reveals the person she's looking for: the Fall Maiden. When presented with her reason, Neptune reacts predictably.Cinder: She's... uh... my sister!
Neptune: (narrating) Clearly, she was lying. But she was such a hot tamale, I couldn't tell her no.
Cinder: (sharply) Can we move this along?
Neptune: First is the little matter of my fee.
Cinder: (sultrily) Money is no object!
Neptune: (narrating) That was my favourite tune! But what she didn't know is, sometimes I prefer to be paid in smooches!
As he says this, Neptune jumps on top of his table and lustily crawls towards Cinder, who's shocked and creeped out at his advances.
- After this, a rather annoyed Cinder slaps Neptune and walks out with a newly-arrived Zwei (who's wearing a deerstalker cap and smoking a pipe). Neptune then tries to recover his pride, and this happens.Neptune: But I'm a big boy, and I figure there's no use crying over spilt milk.
As he finishes the sentence, Neptune throws off his hat and knocks over his glass of milk.
As Neptune starts crying, the camera zooms out to show Sun, who's been playing the saxophone the whole time.
Sun: Forget it dude. It's Chibi town.
- Cinder then reveals the person she's looking for: the Fall Maiden. When presented with her reason, Neptune reacts predictably.
- Man Up With Port: In a sequence reminiscent of the advertisment for the titular Camp Camp, we see Port sitting at a campfire and taking a bite out of a huge drumstick. After addressing the demographic for his video, Port throws the chicken into the fire for seemingly no reason at all. He then explains in overly macho terms that he can build a fort with a tree, his teeth, and sheer determination. Cue Winter walking into shot, and casually using her semblance to summon a log cabin and holing up inside it, thereby flustering Port.
- Winter's summons are explicitly of enemies she's defeated. So, logically, at some point she had to have defeated a log cabin. Somehow.
- Or she utilised ice dust to construct the cabin, as Port gleefully mentions she's going to freeze. Though why she went to the trouble of making it look like a log cabin is a mystery.
- Winter might've fucked up a Geist Grimm-possessed log cabin once; thus, her ability to construct a cabin now at the expense of Floyd's brother's "gains"
- In his annoyance at Winter upstaging him, Port mutters that her butt is going to be cold. The camera nods in agreement.
- And before the skit even started, we get to see Port's transition. It consists of him leaping into frame and throwing his blunderbuss-axe... which lodges itself in the fourth wall, giving Port a second to regret before the screen falls to pieces.
- Winter's summons are explicitly of enemies she's defeated. So, logically, at some point she had to have defeated a log cabin. Somehow.
- Tai's Tech Vlog: A long reference to Burnie Burns's vlog, this skit shows Tai make three attempts to record a vlog. The first time stops with him tripping over, breaking the camera and falling flat on his face.Tai: "I heard these vlog thingies are all the rage, so I figured, how hard could it be to — OOF!"
Tai: *Stares at the inert Qrow, then grabs the drone and runs off* "Please like, comment, and subscribe!"
- The second time, a spare camera mounted on Zwei serves well... until he runs off with Tai giving chase until he trips up again.
- The third and last time, Tai uses a drone-mounted camera, flying it high in the air... and promptly crashing into a bird and spiraling down. The kicker? Instead of a bird hitting the deck, we get to see Qrow faceplant on the pavement, much to Taiyang's shock.
Episode 17 - The Mystery Bunch
- Rolling Thunder: Jaune, Ren, and Neptune are getting coached on rollerskating in the courtyard by Sun. First Jaune, then Neptune cling on to an irritated Ren as they stumble, only for him to let go. This causes all three of them to fall over in sync. In a huge dose of Black Comedy, Sun then boasts about how his balance is helped by his tail - only for Ruby (who's also on skates) to flatten it.
Neptune: Wow, I feel so safe holding onto you. You’re like a rock.
- Just before Ren lets go of them, Jaune and Neptune lay it on thick with Ho Yay.
Jaune: Right? I know.
- Computer Virus: Ozpin, Winter, Port and Oobleck are all looking at a computer which has a small amount of adware on it, with the headmaster puzzled as to how the computer got infected. Penny, who's walking past at this point, promptly sneezes as she moves off, thereby increasing the adware fourfold (which includes things like Whack-A-Grimm, Neo's Neo, amongst other things). The "WTF just happened?" look on Winter's face is priceless.
- We also get a transition of Penny displaying some sick dancing moves.
- The Mystery Bunch: After Officer!Neptune tries interrogating a teddy bear with Ruby's hairstyle, Officer!Sun arrives and tells him that a group calling themselves "The Mystery Bunch" are muscling in on their market. As hinted at in the thumbnail, it's team JNPR and Zwei, and they introduce themselves to the detectives in character.Neptune: Is this some kind of weird cosplay?
Ren: note Hmm... has anyone seen a mystery around here?
Pyrrha: note I'm sure we'll stumble upon one completely by accident.
Nora: note I'm the smart one!
Jaune: note I could really go for a ridiculously large sandwich. Also... g-g-gr-GRIMM!!
The camera cuts to a Beowolf roaring down at the teens.
- What follows next is a hilarious chase sequence with the Beowolf and a set of four doors, replete with the same SFX used in the show they're sending up. First, the gang get chased through the front pair, followed by Ren chasing the Beowolf through the back pair. Next, Zwei gets chased by the Grimm riding a tricycle out front, then Jaune chasing the Grimm in the back while playing a saxophone. The Crowning Moment of Funny kicks in the fifth and sixth times around; first, Zwei is seen carrying Ren, Jaune and Pyrrha while running from Nora, who's carrying the Beowolf... and after that, Qrow runs out of the back doors, wearing his swimming gear. And all the while, the officers are clueless as to what the hell's going on.Neptune: So, wait... what does this accomplish?
Sun: I'm not sure, but it's like 90% of what they do!
- Finally, the quintet unmask the Beowolf... and discover that the Shopkeep still plays the Beowolves in the series, and his 'those darn kids rant' is still completely unintelligible. But of course, anyone familiar with the original cartoons will recognize it as the infamous "and I would've gotten away with it, too, if it weren't for you meddling kids" bit. And then they end their part of the skit with this:
- As they celebrate, Neptune asks Sun what just happened. His response?Sun: (while stuffing his mouth with "Zwei snacks") I don't know dude. Just keep eating dog food until we get on their level!
- This skit also has Ren with a big smile on his face in several scenes, making it even more hilarious.
- What follows next is a hilarious chase sequence with the Beowolf and a set of four doors, replete with the same SFX used in the show they're sending up. First, the gang get chased through the front pair, followed by Ren chasing the Beowolf through the back pair. Next, Zwei gets chased by the Grimm riding a tricycle out front, then Jaune chasing the Grimm in the back while playing a saxophone. The Crowning Moment of Funny kicks in the fifth and sixth times around; first, Zwei is seen carrying Ren, Jaune and Pyrrha while running from Nora, who's carrying the Beowolf... and after that, Qrow runs out of the back doors, wearing his swimming gear. And all the while, the officers are clueless as to what the hell's going on.
Episode 18 - The Fixer
- The Fixer (Part One): This skit shows Tai as the eponymous Fixer, refusing to pay for unnecessary things like plumbers, electricians, and dentists. He starts out by fixing a broken pipe with duct tape, despite Ruby's insistence on getting a plumber.
- Next, Yang is having problems with Bumblebee and Tai insists on fixing it himself, guilt-tripping Yang beyond belief before she acquiesces to his demands.Tai: Hey, at least let me start a bonfire for you, so you can throw all your money in it. Because that's what you're going to do by going to a "mechanic". Oh, and while you’re at it, throw my corpse in the fire, too, because apparently, I'M DEAD TO YOU!!
- After Tai finishes what Yang calls his "Fixer thing", she rides off with Bumblebee in even worse quality, including a part dropping off.Tai: Oh, you don't actually need... uh... whatever that thing is.
- And to top it off, Ruby gets launched into the air by the building pressure of the broken faucet.Ruby: PLUMBEEERRRRRRR!!!
- Next, Yang is having problems with Bumblebee and Tai insists on fixing it himself, guilt-tripping Yang beyond belief before she acquiesces to his demands.
- Junior She-tectives: Sun and Neptune go back to their HQ, only to find that Pyrrha and Nora have donned Junior Detective mustaches, trying to apply for a job within t'he police department. Clearly, [[Call-Back the previous episode's shenanigans gave them ideas.
- When Sun tries to dissuade them, Pyrrha effortlessly figures out that he ate Neptune's candy bar with a Sherlock Scan. And how do the fine lawmen respond?Neptune: Dude-ee! You said the Grimm worked together and took it!
Sun: I'm sorry! I was starving, and you never share!
- Then, Nora tops her by pulling a literal skeleton out of the closet. Cue Glasses Pull and terrible pun.
- When Sun tries to dissuade them, Pyrrha effortlessly figures out that he ate Neptune's candy bar with a Sherlock Scan. And how do the fine lawmen respond?
- The Fixer (Part Two): Ruby and Yang trick Tai into trying to fix their frozen computer, which Tai 1) can't make it worse because it's unresponsive to any of his clicks with the mouse or keyboard, and 2) can't figure out at all so he'll be at it for a long while. It keeps him distracted until a pop-up that says "cookies enabled"...
Episode 19 - Steals and Wheels
- Yang Boops: Neptune walks towards the lounge, where Weiss is sitting with Ruby, Nora, and a rather pained Yang. As seen in the second trailer, Yang unleashes an immense burp. This causes Neptune to call her a tomboy, comparing Yang's "lack of class" with Ruby's sweet demeanour, Weiss's cultured and refined nature, and Nora's "booping"... while completely oblivious to the incensed dragon coming his way and the frightened reactions of the other three girls. He realises his mistake when a silent Yang gets up in his face, then punches it and sends him flying into the kitchen wall. And what does Yang have to say about it all?Yang: Boop.
- Steals and Wheels: Roman and Neo star in a troika of commercials which are all scams, all of which have some Freeze-Frame Bonus disclaimers to go with them.
- The first one involves an energy drink so strong it induces vomiting in Tai, Sun and Nora... while Qrow sculls it without being affected. Also, Neo throws one of the cans so an unsuspecting Zwei gets knocked into the pool.SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING: THE CONTENTS OF THIS CAN IS A CLASS 5 BIOCHEMICAL HAZARD. TOXIC. DO NOT DRINK. HIGHLY FLAMMABLE. CONTACT WITH SKIN: FLUSH WITH WATER AND CONTACT YOUR LOCAL POISON CONTROL CENTER. TORCHQUIK ENERGY, LCC. NOT HELD RESPONSIBLE. NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR UNAPPROVED USE. YOU SEE, NEO, I TOLD YOU NO ONE READS THE FINE PRINT!
- The second one features the titular Steals and Wheels, a motorcycle dealership that sells lemons, much to Yang's surprise.BAD CREDIT? NO PROBLEM!
NO CREDIT? NO PROBLEM!
NO MONEY DOWN? PROBLEM!
SCROLL NOW: 1-800-555-SCAM
- Thirdly, the dynamic duo sit seriously around a table, pretending to be lawyers who settle cases for victims of food poisoning and dodgy vehicle sales.*NOT LICENSED IN ATLAS, OR THE OTHER 3 KINGDOMS OF REMNANT.
- And then...Roman: And here's some satisfied clients now!
Yang, Tai, Sun, Nora and Zwei walk into shot, surrounding Roman and Neo.
Yang: Oh, this will be satisfying alright!
Yang and the others then close in for the kill, with Neo motioning the cameraman to stop filming with a very panicked expression.
Roman: (in a rather high voice) Uhh, call for our free consultation today!
- And then...
- Also, the transition has Roman humming while in the rain. This becomes even funnier (or disturbing, or both) when you remember that Roman is a Captain Ersatz of Alex Delarge.
- The first one involves an energy drink so strong it induces vomiting in Tai, Sun and Nora... while Qrow sculls it without being affected. Also, Neo throws one of the cans so an unsuspecting Zwei gets knocked into the pool.
- Fugitive: A wild goose chase erupts when Jaune thinks he forgot to pay for a candy bar, and escapes Officer!Neptune and Officer!Sun constantly.
Ruby: I WILL!...what was the story again?
- The detectives catch up to Jaune while he's telling Ruby about his offense (and she has no idea what he's saying anyway). He immediately escapes again, shouting for Ruby to "tell the world his story". But because it's Jaune, well...
Jaune: I'm a fugitive, Ren! Public enemy number one! A man without a face! MY HOME IS THE NIGHT!...also call me Felipe, that's my thing now.
- Jaune then starts packing things to take with him as he runs away. For some reason, his arms become extremely long and stretchy, and he stuffs Zwei in with his belongings. He also decides to rename himself Felipe, only to be found by Ren—and promptly dives under the bed, spouting some more hilarious lines.
Ren: Was I supposed to tie that to something?(Jaune can be heard screaming as he falls to the ground.)
- When the officers corner Jaune - or rather, Felipe - in his dorm, he makes a daring escape out the window via Bedsheet Ladder. But there's one itty-bitty problem.
Jaune: (in a crazed voice) YOU'LL NEVER CATCH ME, JOHNNY LAW!!!! HAHAHAHAAAAAAA!!!
- As it turned out, the Junior Detectives were trying to return Jaune's wallet, which he had forgotten at the store. Unfortunately, it's a bit too late for that now.
Episode 20 - Monsters of Rock
- The Ride Along: A moustache-wearing Jaune rides along with the Junior Detectives in their squad car when word comes through on the radio about a "479'r" (a suspicious cloud formation). The three race towards it... only to run over a guy while getting to the scene. The best part? The man in question is the Shopkeep.
- The Great Escape: Qrow and Winter are running a training scenario with a number of the students in a building called the Escape Room. The first thing we see is Yang punching a massive hole in the wall, much to Winter's disapproval. She then wonders how Qrow's holding up with his charges.Sun: We're never gonna get out of here! What are we going to do when we run out of food?! ARGH!!
As Sun runs out of shot, we see an obvious clue in the form of a mirror-reversed painting, which Qrow is standing next to.
Qrow: I think you boys are overlooking an obvious solution.
- Monsters of Rock: Roman drags Cinder across the screen to showcase his latest idea: a band called Trouble Clef with Emerald tickling ivory, Mercury playing bass and a Geist and Beowolf respectively playing guitar and drums. And no prizes for guessing the identity of the singer.
Episode 21 - Happy Birthday-Ween!
- As with last season, the CRWBY opted to make episode 21 special. This time it is solely comprised of Halloween-centric skits.
- The Geist Pumpkin: First, we see a pumpkin on the kitchen counter get possessed by Floyd the Geist... only for Ruby and Yang to come back and chop the pumpkin up and bake a pie out of it. Yang then proceeds to cut into the still-possessed pie - hitting Floyd's face first.Floyd: Ouchie!
- Devotion Potion: Second, we see Nora acting like a witch, using Magnhild to brew up a love potion for Ren, as Jaune and Pyrrha are informed. After they leave her to it, we see Ren pop out of the mixture gasping for air... only for Nora to submerge him with her hammer again, meaning that she was being quite literal about "making a love potion with someone special in mind". The segment closes with her humming a deliberately off-key version of Boop while the poor man begins to drown.
- Happy Birthday-Ween!: Weiss learns that Halloween is also Ruby's birthday. And everyone else begins to suffer her entitled behavior. First, team JNPR go trick-or-treating at the shopkeep's house. After he hands them the candy, Ruby takes it from them as birthday gifts.
Nora: Nice costume, Ruby.
- Second, Dr. Oobleck leaves a bowl of treats for his students... only for Ruby to pinch the whole bowl, leaving a note that it's her birthday and she deserves to have the gift.
- And last, Ruby demands that her teammates fetch her a costume for a party. They comply by dressing Ruby as a trashcan, complete with a sign saying "TRASH".
Ruby: I didn’t pick this!
Right on cue, she topples to the floor, unable to get up.
Ruby: Please help? It’s my birthday...
Nora: *Tosses an empty cup at Ruby's head* Happy birthday!
Episode 22 - Battle of the Bands
- After a whole season of build-up, the Season 2 finale finally shows the Battle of the Bands. In order, the bands are Puns and Roses (who still have to suffer Taiyang), the Neptunes (with Neptune and Jaune firmly on opposite sides of the choreography routine), Roman and Trouble Clef, and P3N-3 ("I'm DJ Ready!"). Trouble Clef perform first... but discover that the Battle of the Bands is an actual battle. The whole thing quickly descends into a four-way battle that gets judged by Port, Oobleck, Winter and Qrow, resembling the climax of Anchorman 2. In short, an anarchic and hilarious conclusion to the second season.
- When Trouble Clef begins to play, Neo walks onto the stage with a mic and inhales, preparing to sing... and then Nora interrupts her.
- After "The Neptunes" do their routine, Jaune (who's wearing his mime make up) and Neptune almost hi-five, only to be stopped by Sun and Ren. "NO!" Sure enough, during the battle, Jaune touches Neptune, causing poor Neptune to swell up from an allergic reaction. "Not again!"
- Ozpin being confused over the spelling of Penny's act, "P3N-3", until he realizes that it's just her name, but "spelled stupidly."
- As the other teams question Trouble Clef playing music, Penny can be seen playing her DJ music in the background.
- Most of the characters involved in the battle are using instruments as impromptu weapons, but two of brought their actual weapons to the battle, and use them in to adhere to the rules of the Battle of the Bands in wildly different ways. Specifically, Weiss (who uses Myrtenaster's Gravity Dust to launch various cymbals and a keyboard at the other fighters as makeshift projectiles)... and Nora, who brought Magnhild, and simply smashed its handle through her drumset to use one of the drums as a second hammer head.
- At the end, Ruby does her "Thank the audience" thing like she did last season, only to be knocked out by Nora, who wonders, "Wait, was she on my team?"
Episode 23 - A Slip Through Time and Space Pr. 2
- And suddenly, BONUS EPISODE! One of two planned for Christmas!
- The skit starts with Ruby going to Yang for counselling after Weiss confiscated her cookies. It's as hilarious as it sounds.Yang: Now, when Weiss took away your cookie, how did it make you feel?
Ruby: Hurt! Betrayed! Hungry...
Yang: Hm. Yes. Go on.
- Nora decides to overdo it with the coffee overdose (already having bound and gagged Ren with rope)... by using a thermos mug full of espresso shots. It throws her into the real world again, this time as a figurine.
- Barbara Dunkleman proves that she Failed a Spot Check as she completely misses the box that toy!Nora broke out of.
- Nora wants to know how she, Ruby and Jaune were able to get out of their toy boxes. Jaune takes her to see "the Great One". Who is "the Great One"? The foot-tall Pyrrha plushie.
- When "the Great One" is revealed, the weird voice sounds from 2001, when the monolith is on screen is playing.
- Jaune gives her a choice:Jaune: You now have a choice. You choose the "Blue vs. Red" shirt, the story ends. You wake up in your bed and you believe whatever you want to believe. You choose the Red vs. Blue shirt, you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes— She's already back in the box, isn't she?
- As Nora comes to with Ren, Ruby and Yang watching over her, Pyrrha pops her head around the door and asks if things are okay, whereupon Nora promptly screams in terror.
- And to top it all off, the Pyrrha plushie shown in the skit has been renamed "The Great One" on Rooster Teeth's online store!
Episode 24 - Nondescript Holiday Spectacular
- It's the second Christmas special and what better way to celebrate than through a How the Grinch Stole Christmas! spoof!Ozpin: (voicover) Every chibi in Beacon liked the holiday season. [Roman] loathed it, for who knows what reason...
- The episodes begins with Penny staring at her present as though she can see through it, and Velvet shaking hers to try and figure out what's inside it. And then Ruby shows up with her head trapped in a giant snowball, to the amusement of most of the people in the room.
- After griping about how "everybody is "nice" and "loving" and everybody "cares" about one another," Roman realizes that stealing presents won't hurt their Nondescript Winter Holiday Spirit, so he'll steal their Nondescript Winter Holiday Spirit with the Spirit Sucker!Neo: What sucks is the name.
- Not only does Roman suck out Ruby's Nondescript Winter Holiday Spirit, he also sucks up all the chocolate chips from her cookie. And That's Terrible.Ruby: Oh, what's the point? (Makes puppy-dog eyes and tears up)
- Not only does Roman suck out Ruby's Nondescript Winter Holiday Spirit, he also sucks up all the chocolate chips from her cookie. And That's Terrible.
- Roman gets hit with a dose of Reality Ensues: Sucking out their holiday spirit isn't going to suck out the rest of their spirit as he and Neo suddenly find themselves confronted by Team RWBY, who wants to give them a hand with their bag of spirit.
- This gem from Team RWBY when they explain why they want to help Roman with the bag:Weiss: Yeah, we're not mean.
Blake: Not all of us, at least.
(Weiss gives Blake an unamused glare.)
- Roman's hit with another case of Reality Ensues when he accidentally frees the Spirit and claims his heart grew three sizes: having a bigger heart means you're probably gonna have a heart attack!Neo: UH-OH.
- The ending: It turns out that Team JNPR got their memos mixed up, and they arrive too late and dressed up as the Peanuts gang - Jaune is dressed as Charlie Brown, Nora as Lucy van Pelt, Pyrrha as Peppermint Patty and Ren as Schroeder... with Zwei in place of Snoopy.
- Road Trip (Part One): While the rest of her team waits around the car, Ruby is stuffing 'just the essentials' into the trunk for their road trip - which includes a number of callbacks to earlier episodes in the series. Then she stops to consider if she needs a paddleball... before deciding that she needs two!Yang: This is going to be the best hecking road trip ever!
- Blake then gets the feeling that Team RWBY forgot something. Cut to Jaune and Ren standing around with their luggage, wondering where they went. After this, Yang turns on the radio and the team finds out that there's someone kidnapping hitchhikers. No prizes for guessing who it is, and who the next victims are.Cinder: Hello victims. I mean... you boys looks like you could use a ride.
Ren: I don't think that's a good idea, scary lady.
- And how does Cinder lure Jaune and Ren in?Cinder: Well, okay... But I've got... (raises up her hand which is full of candy) candy.
(The car rocks as Jaune gets in so quickly that even Cinder is surprised, before giving him the candy)
Ren: Sure. Why start being sensible now?
- Blake then gets the feeling that Team RWBY forgot something. Cut to Jaune and Ren standing around with their luggage, wondering where they went. After this, Yang turns on the radio and the team finds out that there's someone kidnapping hitchhikers. No prizes for guessing who it is, and who the next victims are.
- Manly Weapons: The second ever "Man Up! With Port" short, Port cheerfully mentions that one of the materials to forge a custom weapon is "several pints of your own blood". Additionally, we find out that Oobleck's holding the camera.
- But the most humour in this short comes from Velvet, who not only undermines the entire subject by copying his axe, but does the same with his moustache and happily mimics him, deepening her voice and playing up the "manly moustache" while still acting like a cute, excitable little bunny.
- When Velvet says "Respect... the mustache!", she adds a slight emphasis on it exactly like a certain Saiyan.
- Road Trip (Part Two): Cinder ends up cajoling Jaune and Ren into her car and makes off with them.Cinder: Fasten your seatbelts boys; it's gonna be a nefarious ride!
Ren: It's a trap! She used the child safety locks! But we are neither children nor safe!
- In a moment of brilliance, Jaune sings the Camp Camp song and consequently drives Cinder up the wall. Her facial expressions have to be seen to be believed.Jaune: (singing) We'll swim through lakes and climb up trees, catch fish, bugs, bears, and honeybees! There's endless possibilities, and no, that's not hyperbole! Our motto's "Campe Diem", and that means I'm telling you~~ (normal voice) Ren, this is my favorite part. (inhaling, before singing again) We've got—
Cinder: Enough! (abruptly stops car) No nefarious plan is worth this torture! (tosses out Jaune and Ren) Get out!
Cinder drives off.
Ren: Who knew being annoying could actually come in handy.
Jaune: I grew up with seven sisters. (horrified) It was my only defense.
Ren: Next time we see the girls, they are in so much trouble.
- When Cinder slams on the brakes, both Ren and Jaune's eyes briefly resemble cat slits before they're knocked back by the recoil.
- Little does Ren know how correct he is; Team RWBY are promptly seen getting chased by the fuzz because of Ruby.
- Blake in particular clearly has no idea what to do. The others are driving like crazy and fighting off the cops, but Blake throws out a paddleball, points out the roadblock, and then puts on the most ridiculous expression when Yang hits the gas, as seen at the top of the folder.
- And what does Yang say when they're about to hit a road block? "Looks like we're gonna have to jump...!"
- In a moment of brilliance, Jaune sings the Camp Camp song and consequently drives Cinder up the wall. Her facial expressions have to be seen to be believed.
- On a meta level, one of the big complaints about the previous RWBY volume was its overuse of cliffhangers. This first episode ends on a cliffhanger... leaving so many people so amusingly frustrated.
Episode 2 - Evil Interview
- Evil Interview: When the thumbnail (Cinder reading the resume) and title were released, the entire fanbase believed that the rest of team WTCH would make their debut in this episode, and most were also expecting Ilia and Raven to do so as well. In yet another display of Trolling Creator, we instead get... Cardin.
- The simple fact that Cinder continually refers to Cardin as Karen (possibly dropping the 'd' from his name, Carin). To his face. What makes it funnier is how quick Cardin is to relent with being called Karen.
- Cardin's reasons for qualifying as a villain: bullying Jaune and his friends, having put pepper in Professor Port's mustache, and worst of all; he refuses to pet puppies!
- There's also Cinder firing Mercury. Literally. And with a Trap-Door Fail as a bonus. After Cardin wisely backs out, Cinder's flippant acknowledgement of her behavior is a healthy dose of Black Comedy.Cinder: Why is it so hard to find good help? Oh! That's right; I keep melting them!
- Complete with an Evil chart of Evil behind Cinder, with the axis being "Candy Stolen" and "Puppies Kicked"
- LoveDaddy: Just... the whole thing. From the reveal of Tai's screen name on the dating site, to the conflicting advice Ruby and Yang give, to Qrow's appearance, to the surprise match.Cinder: Mmmm, hello LoveDaddy.
Taiyang: I think she's lying about her age.
Ruby: You really do have the worst luck with women.
Qrow: I've dated worse.
- Cinder's dating profile:iBurn
Looking to meet new people. Specifically maidens and silver-eyed brats.
Fire, Fire, Fire
Must love Grimm
Age: How dare you
- Also note how Taiyang says she's lying about her age. You know, the one she specifically hides.
- Taiyang's profile prior to his daughters discovering it shows he's still trying to be a cool dad.
- "Are you going to inappropriate places on the internet?" Not something you'd think Ruby Rose would say, and made all the more hilarious when her dad awkwardly denies even knowing about such things. (some fans even thought it was an allusion to this)
- On that note, the sheer fact that Ruby says Taiyang has the worst luck with women.
- There's been a lot of speculation on what dating site was being used (the name on-screen is "Lonely Huntsmen"), until one realized that the couple that was formed was Tinder.
- Cinder's dating profile:
Episode 3 - Mortal Frenemies
- One Shot One Pill:
- Tai is having trouble feeding medicine to Zwei when Yang walks in. She shows Tai how to get Zwei to co-operate: speak lovingly towards him, place him on the table and have Ruby snipe a tablet into Zwei's mouth. What makes it even funnier is Ruby's one liner.
- When Tai suggests using peanut butter to get Zwei to take the pill, Zwei gets excited and starts running around wagging his tail until Yang shoots that option down, making him sad.
- She repeats the performance with Tai after Yang accidentally reveals that they sneak looks at their birthday presents every year.
- Mortal Frenemies:
- Qrow and Winter are shown to pick fist-fights with one another at every opportunity (such as Qrow reading a book Winter wanted to read, then Qrow cleaning out the noodle stand before Winter had a chance to eat). Eventually, Ozpin sits the pair down in his classroom and forces them to apologize - only for Qrow to call Winter "Ice Queen" and induce a fist-fight once again. Ozpin's final remarks prove to be the icing on the cake.
- The book that Winter was going for, Cold Heart/Hot Love. Seems that Winter might have a bit in common with Blake.
- In the main series, Winter is serious but kind. In this skit Winter's lines just reek of hilariously over-the-top entitlement, not unlike her sister was at first in the main series.Winter: I demand noodles of a delicious nature and in a timely manner.
- And her recommendation regarding Qrow?Winter: [smugly] I propose a leash and random electric shocks to modify his behavior.
- Qrow's goofy face while sarcastically saying "Go team!" (as a bonus, he flaps his limbs with wacky sound effects)
Episode 4 - Grimm Passengers
- Grimm Passengers: Mike and Marty make their return to the show by trying to pass themselves off as "gangsta"-types so they can hitch lifts and kill the drivers. Emphasis on "trying", because Team RWBY weren't fooled for a moment.Marty: Hey there! I'm just A Human Dude.
Mike: Me too! I'm also a people!
Cinder: Mangy dingoes! How do I keep running into such losers?!
- For added laughs, Team RWBY is looking for the bank they ended up robbing.
- Then Cinder drives up, looking for more "passengers" (read: victims). Cinder is entirely fooled right up until the two start cackling evilly, at which point she knocks their disguises off and throws them out.
- And then they find the last losers Cinder ran into. The Grimm put on the disguises in sight of Jaune and Ren, and the former is fooled!
- Punished: Tai and Yang drive Weiss and Blake up the wall with puns, and then the room freezes and darkens suddenly. A spotlight shines in-between the Xiao Longs, and Ruby walks into it. She then delivers a PSA preaching against pun use, then Ruby takes advantage of Yang's frozen state by inserting her sister's finger up her nose.
Episode 5 - Girls' Night Out
- Mercury's Girl: Mercury converses with his sock puppet of Cinder. He and the puppet end up dissing Emerald, Roman, and Neo (in that order), completely oblivious to those same people staring at him. Merc realises that the jig is up when he declares his love for the Cinder puppet (much to Roman and Emerald's amusement), only for Cinder to angrily burn the doll to ash, and she and the others chasten him as they leave.Cinder: If I ever catch you doing something that disturbing again, I will barbecue your creepy butt.
Emerald: The real tragedy is; that's probably the best girlfriend he's ever had.
Roman: Ah; now I almost feel sorry for him!
Neo: I don't.
Neo whacks Mercury upside the head with her placard and walks off. Mercury waits till the others are out of earshot, then pulls out an identical sock puppet
Cinder Dollnote : "Where's my twin sister?"
- While Emerald starts off the skit with a very deadpan annoyed expression, she grows more and more amused as Mercury starts insulting the others. By the time Cinder is on the scene, Emerald's got a big eager grin—she knows what's coming, and she just can't wait for it.
- When Mercury says that Roman "gets beat up by little girls," Roman has to turn away and Neo pats him on the cheek reassuringly.
- Girls' Night Out: Jaune and Ren chance upon Team RWBY preparing for the titular girls' night out. After Yang stresses that no boys are allowed to "set the town on fire" with them, Jaune takes Ren aside into his room and bores him to tears. However, Yang and Ruby were being quite literal when they said they'd "set the town on fire" - much to Weiss and Blake's mutual shock, with Blake sitting in the Troubled Fetal Position.Ruby: Yeah... girls' night!
Episode 6 - Teenage Faunus Ninja Catgirl
- When the title and thumbnail were made public (which count by themselves), someone commented this spin on the TMNT theme song.
- Teenage Faunus Ninja Catgirl: The complete stoicness of Blake's demeanor through her mission and Ruby's increasing paranoia, especially when it's clear that nobody else is taking the situation at all seriously.Jaune: Hey guys, can I get some help with this homework?
Blake pins it to the wall with her sword
Jaune: It's cool, I'll figure it out.Ruby: Hey Weiss, do you ever get the feeling you're being watched?
Weiss: Of course! People can't get enough of me. You get used to it.
Ruby: That's not what I meant.Ruby: Did you hear something?!
Velvet: Probably. I hear everything, all the time.
Ruby: Oh, something's giving me the creeps! I need to get out of here!
Velvet: Sorry, I just heard Jaune trip and fall. I didn't mean to interrupt your moment.
- Blake's running cry of NINJA VANISH! Complete with smoke bombs.
- And for that matter, when Velvet ruins her shout with a chuckle...
- Blake's running cry of NINJA VANISH! Complete with smoke bombs.
- The Protege: Neo's quiet jealousy as Cardin talks up Roman is a sight to behold.Roman: A protege, you say! What do you think Neo?
Neo: DITCH HIM.
Roman: Well, at least you have good taste. (like that one grimm who ate me)
- Early on in the sketch, Roman asks Cardin who he is. When Cardin describes himself as a huge fan of his work, and the English captions read this:
Roman: Lesson 2: Hold this and don't move! (gives Cardin the money takes off running)
- Nonetheless, Roman agrees to teach Cardin about villainy by robbing From Dust Till Dawn and leaving him to take the blame.
Cardin: Holding stuff is easy!
(The Shopkeep jumps out of the store and immediately points at Cardin.)
Cardin: Uh, this isn't what it looks like?
(The Shopkeep starts beating Cardin over the head with a broom while shouting angrily in gibberish.)
Cardin: Ow, my head! I use that sometimes!
- Teenage Faunus Ninja Catgirl (Part Two): Ruby nervously confides in Nora that she's been paranoid all day, wondering if somebody has been following her. Nora points out that Blake probably could have seen them.Nora: She can see everything from up there.
Ruby: Up... there?
Blake hangs above the cabinets, her eyes slitted and face shadowed.
Blake: I see you, Ruby Rose...
Ruby: AAAAH! Ceiling cat!!
Ruby throws a bunch of teacups at Blake before fleeing the room, but Blake deflects all the teacups with Gambol Shroud and jumps across the countertop in pursuit of Ruby, and Nora takes another scoop of cereal with a bored look.
Blake: NINJA VANISH!
- And the reason Blake's stalking Ruby? Ruby hasn't returned a book she borrowed months earlier.
Ruby: ...I can still see you.
Blake: I ran out of smoke bombs.
Blake: NINJA TAXI! *rapidly types on scroll*
Episode 7 - Mysterious Red Button
- Books Fix Everything: This skit shows Oobleck preaching to several students that books are a panacea for all of life's issues. Blake, of all people, points out how flawed this idea is—before Ruby opens the Necronomicon and unleashes a ton of ghosts into the room, thereby disproving the idea for good.Oobleck: Did someone say book?
Blake: (annoyed) No, I said-
Oobleck: Yes you did, you said book, we all heard. YOU'RE WELCOME! (walks off)
Oobleck: And that's...!
- Bonus: The Necronomicon crawls away on its own!
- Blake's sheer confusion at the Edutainment-style logo at the end.
Ren and Yang: Good to Know!
Blake: Good to... know...?
- Mysterious Red Button: The titular button is found by various characters mounted on a tree, each to varying effect.
- First, Blake presses it and a fish drops from the sky, much to her joy.
- Next, it behaves like a light switch for the sun when Ruby presses it. After repeated, rapid presses of the button, a lightbulb is heard shattering when the sun goes out for good.Yang: What's up with the flipping sun?!
Ruby: I DIDN'T DO IT!
- Both Jaune and Ren make duplicates of one another with the button. Both Rens go for noodles and a long nap, while OG!Jaune immediately gets abandoned by Clone!Jaune.
- Then, Cinder challenges the button before pressing it. Nothing happens for five seconds...then Cinder is crushed by the noodle cart, a full refrigerator, and Fat!Nora in that order, much to the mutual shock of Roman and Neo. The former, deciding to try to use the button against Ruby, pries the button off of the tree... and then fumbles and accidentally drops the button face-down onto the ground beneath him, creating a pitfall that he falls into, with the latter happily jumping in after him.
- When Fat!Nora lands on top of Cinder, she cartwheels away (while obviously intentionally missing several frames of animation), for no obvious reason. It even comes with with a loud, very high-pitched "WEEEEE!"
- Last, Sun and Neptune come across the button. After Sun declares "what's the worst that could happen?", he presses it and ends the episode.
Episode 8 - Kids vs Adults vs Pups
- Kids vs Adults vs Pups: The entire skit is comprised of characters imagining each other comically and exaggeratedly out of character, playing up stereotypes.
Weiss: Hey everyone! Look at me! I'm neglecting my studies!
- First Winter considers what team RWBY acts like:
Ruby: How am I the team leader? Ha, I'm only twelve!
Blake: Ugh, all I do is mope. But I'm too young to know how tough life really is. What's my problem? Who knows.
Yang: I'm Yang, let's fight! HUUUEAA—
- Then Ruby whines about how easy adults have it, and we get to hear Ozpin and Winter go hammy.Ozpin: Let's go eat heaps of dessert!
Winter: Agreed! And let's throw all the vegetables in the trash!
Ozpin: Of course! And afterwards, let's stay up as late as we want!
Winter: HA HA! Curfews are for CHUMPS!
- And then we get a view of Zwei's dreamworld, where we see he's the most honest of the bunch:
- The animation really sells Winter's view of team RWBY. Weiss continues watching the book she kicked off with a proud grin at the distance it's making, Ruby has a teddy bear and sucks her thumb, Blake transitions through all the stereotypical angsty teen poses with aplomb, and Yang is stuck in an Idle Animation right out of a fighting game.
- Also of note is Yang's increasing paddleball skill, and Blake's increasingly catlike fascination with it. It's both funny and adorable.
- Fireflies: Ruby protests heading out with Penny at first, saying that all the cool kids are watching TV and laying on couches like a sog. Then she tries to run for it... only to find herself not moving.Penny: I calculated a ninety-three percent chance you would try that.
- The simple fact that Penny is bilingual—no, scratch that, trilingual.Ruby: Holy cats. You speak firefly!
Penny: Of course! My cricket is pretty good too.
Penny proceeds to make cricket chirps with her legs, much to Ruby's gleeful amazement.
- When Ruby cries Holy Cats, her cape actually rises to give her the impression of cat ears.
- Fridge Brilliance: Of course Penny's good at speaking to crickets; she's based off Pinocchio!
- The firefly flickers are all translatable morse code, and when translated are amusingly casual in comparison to the situation.Penny: SUP
- And later, when Ruby realizes that something's missing...Ruby: Hey wait. Where's my cookie?
Firefly carrying cookie: MACAROONS
Penny: He said "Next time, bring macaroons."
- The simple fact that Penny is bilingual—no, scratch that, trilingual.
Episode 9 - Tea Party
- Tea Party: Blake, Nora, Ruby and Pyrrha partake in a tea party courtesy of Weiss and Klein - the latter of whom can slip into his personalities much more easily.
Pyrrha: You've pretty much met him already…
- Happy!Klein kicks in when gushing about Weiss's friends; Blake's praise brings out Bashful!Klein, who acts like a demure woman deflecting a compliment; Dopey!Klein calms Nora down when she complains about not getting any crumpets, and Ruby and Sleepy!Klein fall asleep once Weiss begins to discuss a childhood memory.
- Winter then barges in angrily, and starts belittling Weiss about slacking off on her studies again. No prizes for guessing how Klein deals with it.Grumpy!Klein: Now watch your tone, young lady! Your sister needs to socialize just as much as she needs to study! Don't forget I raised you, too!
(Winter silently backs away.)
- Weiss then realises that one personality hasn't come out yet...just as Sneezy!Klein carries in a cake. Yang then witnesses the door get blasted across the corridor, complete with Jaune emitting an "Ow" from JNPR's room.
- And Yang asks Pyrrha - who is becaked in what's left of the cake - what Klein is like. Cue an angrily muttering Winter, a happily sighing Blake, a dopily grinning Nora, and a sleepwalking Ruby all emerging from the room.
- Leisurely Stroll of Doom: Ruby hangs out with Qrow, and his Semblance is even worse than in canon.
- First, Qrow meets up with Ruby in the courtyard, and she gets rained on when she gushes to him about the upcoming day.
- Second, Ruby slips on froyo again when Qrow hands a cone to her.
- Third, Ruby opens a can of drink Qrow gave her, only for it to spray out hard enough to send her flying into a storefront.
- And last, the street Ruby and Qrow were walking on is in chaos. Sun and Neptune are urgently trying to dispose of a bomb, the Shopkeep's noodle cart has been overturned...and when Qrow pats Ruby on the back after he comments on Ruby lighting up his day, her cloak catches fire.
Episode 10 - Prank War
- Sailor Jaune: Upon hearing a yell for help, HuntsMan and WonderZwei rush off to get into costume. But the methods they use don't quite work out.
Jaune: Oh... Well... do you need help?Winter: Um... can you break a twenty?Jaune: Oh, uh... (nervously chuckles) Actually, my wallet's in my regular clothes. Let me just change back.
- The first attempt is a nod to Superman, as Jaune dashes into a rocket propelled locker to change. But once he's in, he can't get out. So Zwei tries to help by yanking some cables from the locker... sending the locker with Jaune inside launching away.
- The second attempt has Jaune copy Wonder Woman, by spinning and glowing brightly. Not only does he not get changed, but the light blinds him and the spinning makes him dizzy. Couple that with an open manhole, and...
- Third times the charm with a Sailor Moon transformation! Finally, HuntsMan and WonderZwei are ready to help! Well, they would be if it hadn't taken half an hour to change into their costumes, as Winter points out.
- Prank War: Mercury and Emerald are looking bored, so what better way to entertain each other than with a prank war?
- Round one has Emerald place a glass of water in front of Neptune's door. On its own, it doesn't get much of a reaction, but as the camera pans back, it turns out that Emerald has filled the entire hallway to the brim with glasses of water.
- Their next victim? Torchwick, and it's Mercury's turn. And how did he prank this criminal mastermind?
Yang: That's more festive than I remember...
- Their next prank has Emerald replacing the ammunition in Ember Celica with confetti, a la Caboose and Freckles.
Cinder: Winter Maiden? I- I want that! Gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme!
- But Mercury's ultimate prank involves Cinder and a sign concerning the Winter Maiden's whereabouts.
- As Cinder walks, she gets more and more annoyed with the lengthy walk, until finally, she reaches the Winter Maiden: a snowman made to resemble Neo.
Mercury: Oh really? Well what would you have done different?Mercury: Wait, what?!Emerald: Prank queen!
- As Mercury and Emerald relish in their pranks, Merc declares himself the prank king. Emerald disagrees.
Episode 11 - In The Clutches Of Evil
- In The Clutches Of Evil: Roman and Neo capture the HuntsMan, and place him tied up on a conveyor belt that aims towards a fiery furnace - which is so elaborate, the hero complements Roman for it.
- Then suddenly, WonderZwei and RedHuntress show up and defeat the villains, much to HuntsMan's displeasure after his compliments. The fight is reminiscent of the old Batman show, with RedHuntress punching Roman earning a "KAPOW!" and Zwei making Neo run away earning "ADORABLE!".
- Pyrrha states she spent all week making her costume... whose only differences from her normal attire are goggles and a red cape.
- The skit finishes with a freed HuntsMan saying this to RedHuntress, with incredible results.Huntsman!Jaune: From now on, you have my undivided attention!
RedHuntress!Pyrrha: I... (beat; her expression begins to lighten as this sinks in) dooo?
Huntsman!Jaune: I will chase after you day and night, and I won't rest until I catch you, so I hope you're happy!
RedHuntress!Pyrrha slowly breaks into a wide smile.
Next, we see Nora watch Pyrrha dance around the room, singing "Yes!" repeatedly.
Nora: Someone had a good night!
- Put It In Reverse: Ruby attempting to drive under Tai's tuition - it ends up so badly, you'd think Qrow was stuck in the trunk during the process.
- The humor is just amplified by the format: scenes are played in backwards order, with Ruby alternating from "Confident Driver" to "Completely Terrified" and back every transition.
- During the practice run Ruby and Tai have in the parking lot, Ruby knocks over a bin which contains Blake. She jumps over the fence and runs away on all fours, mewling like a cat all the while.
- The last shot is a grey-scale montage of the Xiao Long family smiling in photographs with the car, with music implying that one of them died ... that ends with a shot of the burning wreckage with the caption "In loving memory of Zippy, the Xiao Long household car."
- As a Freeze-Frame Bonus, if you look closely at the reflection in the windshield when Ruby collides with someone, you see that they hit Penny. Given her history of stopping vehicles, Zippy never stood a chance.
Episode 12 - JNPR Dreams
- QrowCrow: Qrow has trouble shapeshifting, leaving his human head on his avian body. Of course, he still tries to go for a drink, but his wings can't pick up anything, and trying to drink with his head nearly causes him to fall over.
- JNPR Dreams: Nora, Ren, Pyrrha and Jaune have dreams of their ideal futures. Naturally, Nora sees Ren feeding her pancakes, and Pyrrha imagines Jaune and herself as a fully-fledged Battle Couple. However, the two men have even funnier dreams than that.
- Ren's starts off with Ozpin bemoaning the fact that no-one's qualified to test a new pool chair. Cue Ren's dramatic pose and his name getting sung over a musical hit. Nora swoons and Ozpin falls prostrate as Ren takes his place on the chair.
- Jaune, meanwhile, is seen to finish a lecture on how to defeat evil, remove poverty, and make broccoli taste like ice cream. The male faculty are impressed, to say least.Oobleck: Astonishing! I've never encountered such smartitude!
Port: I can finally eat vegetables!
Ozpin: Jaune Arc, I hereby award you "Huntsman Of The Year".
The whole cast appears around the classroom and chants "JAUNE IS THE MAN!".
- The following morning, Jaune is still chanting "Jaune is the man!" in his sleep, with his team watching on in amusement.
- QrowCrow 2: Qrow goes to see Ozpin for help, who apparently doesn't see the problem;Ozpin: And you're sure you're not happy with this?
Qrow: (Sighs tiredly) Yes. Very sure.
- When Ozpin tries to fix it, Qrow's avian head gets superimposed onto his human body. Ozpin runs off without giving Qrow a chance to signal his discontent, but decides that since he can drink normally, there's no pressing issue.
Episode 13 - Cousins Of Chaos
- Don't Pet The Grimm: Penny and Mike the Beowolf star in a Dr. Seuss-esque tale, with Ozpin in the role of narrator. It needs to be seen to be believed.
- Cousins Of Chaos: Jaune encounters the titular biker gang - Sun, Neptune and Ren, to be precise - and asks why they're "Cousins of Chaos". Their responses are Poke the Poodle at it's finest.Ren: I have a library book that's three weeks overdue, and I have no immediate plans of returning it!
Neptune: Yeah! I went through the "15 Items Or Less" checkout. Guess what? Had twenty, regret nothing!
Sun: The last time I used a bathroom, I didn't wash my hands afterwards!
Jaune, Ren and Neptune: Eww!
- Jaune then accidentally knocks over the motorcycles, which causes Ren's to blow up in Jaune's face.Ren: Aww man! My library book was in there.
- Jaune then accidentally knocks over the motorcycles, which causes Ren's to blow up in Jaune's face.
- The episode itself ends with Michael Jones freestyling a theme song for the Cousins of Chaos over the credits.
Episode 14 - Nefarious Dreams
- Nefarious Dreams: Team CRME are snoozing in their lair, and we're treated to their dreams this time.
Cinder: Maybe these guys aren't so bad.
- First, Roman dreams of himself in a world where Lien grows on trees. Neo pulls a cart with plucked Lien along, and Cinder's become a fangirl of Torchwick who polishes his solid-gold hat.
- Second, Emerald dreams of Cinder combing Emerald's hair, like a mother to her daughter. Also doubles as a CMOH.
- Third, Mercury does a dance on stage, with Cinder gushing about his skills. He then asks for a foot massage ... despite Cinder's protests that his feet are robotic, and therefore wouldn't need it.
- And last, Cinder imagines herself as the Fall Maiden, surrounded by clones of herself. After they turn on her, she wakes up with a start.
Mercury: (in his sleep) Cinder, try and figure out some robotic foot massages.
Cinder nearly pukes over the side of her bed, then composes herself.
Cinder: Nope, they definitely are that bad.
- Tai's Escape: Tai pretends to be stuck inside the escape room from last season, so he can get some quality alone time with Zwei, a recliner chair, and some coffee.
Episode 15 - Play With Penny
- The thumbnail◊ is of Zwei standing in the foreground, with Jaune and Ruby wide-eyed in admiration of him ... and Blake and Weiss viewing him with palpable distrust.
- Play With Penny: The skit is about Team RWBY and Jaune dealing with an attack by a giant Grimm, and is filled to the brim with snarky black comedy.Yang: Oh hey, I want to punch that! I mean, I doubt it'll do much... but I'm still going to punch it! CHYAAAA!
Five seconds later, Yang gets thrown on her keister.
Yang: I was right. It was pointless! ...I'm not sorry.
Weiss: If only someone had a secret superpower capable of taking an enemy that big!
Blake: Yeeeeeeah, maybe something related to silver eyes. It could really come in handy right now!
Everyone looks at Ruby
Blake: Anyone at all...?
- Life Hacks: The first transition is Oobleck zipping around the screen as fast as Ruby, clearly after drinking his dose of Joe.
Weiss: So, do you have any more advice, besides grabbing things by the throat?
- True to style, Oobleck does yet another PSA in a classroom with Weiss, Ruby and Jaune about life hacks. Specifically, he talks about how none of them work - and he rants about this aggressively, by seizing each of the students and rambling nigh-incomprehensibly.
Oobleck: Yes. Always drink more coffee. (Takes a sip, then cuddles his thermos) Ahhh, that's daddy's little helper...
- He then drains his thermos ... and takes off like a rocket through the roof.Weiss: Yeah ... he's not coming down.
- Animal Cruelty: The second transition shows Cardin kicking Jaune off a skateboard and zooming away with it. It cuts to Cardin strolling around a forest. He proceeds to pelt rocks with his mace and hits several animals. Unfortunately for him, one of them was a rather boozy corvid.Cardin: Animals are so stupid!
Suddenly, footsteps and a loud roar come in from the left.
Qrow lays Cardin out with one punch.
Episode 16 - RWBY Dreams
- The thumbnail: Ruby using Zwei as a combat mount◊.
- The fact that every episode ends on color bars. To make it even funnier, they are in the respective colors of Team RWBY itself!
- The official titles to some of the remixes are sure to give a chuckle, such as "I Burn"'s being the PleaseDon'tSueUs Remix, the "I May Fall" version being "Unauthorized Snuggles Remix" and the "Friendship is Semblance remix" of "This Will Be The Day".
- Although the gags in the subtitles are usually excised after a little while, one joke that consistently remains in the second season is Roman's Evil Laugh being referred to as "Nefarious Laughter".
- Fan artist LeonardoFRei made an alternate ending of the "Cool Dad" sketch where instead of Tai accepting his daughters' explantion he isn't cool, he instead gives them an Epic Burn by saying Well I was cool enough to F(screaming Pyrrha face)k both of your Moms". The girls' reactions are priceless. It was so funny that even Miles Luna himself thought it was hilarious!
- Nothing bad ever happens in RWBY Chibi, but that doesn't◊ stop the internet. note
- The Chibi panel at RTX 2018 had a totally accurate making of video (starts at 8:24).