- Hash House Lingo in the first book.
- An exchange from Odd Hours:Hoss Shackett: I need those nukes. I need them, I need them right now.
Odd: I don't want to be an enabler, sir. I'd rather get you into a twelve-step program to help you break this addiction.
Odd: "I didn't say Rod Stewart! He said Rod Stewart!"
- Also, Odd pretending that he has amnesia.
- Odd ends up trying to beg for mercy from the enraged spirit of Frank Sinatra
- Brother Odd:Brother Quentin: We need to know the name of our enemy.
Brother Alfonse: We know the name. His name is legion.
Brother Quentin: I don't mean our ultimate enemy, Odd, we aren't going up against Satan with baseball bats, are we?
Odd: If it's Satan, I haven't noticed a sulfurous smell.
Brother Quentin: You're being evasive again.
- A lot, mostly created by Odd's Deadpan Snarker personality. One of the ones in the first book is his repeated tellings that "A flipped fork flicked my forehead." When he says it to his dad's girlfriend, she gets mad, causing him to think "Alliteration seems to offend people..."
- During a discussion with a physicist over a plate of cookies, Odd asks about the possibility of a tragic accident happening as a result of his experiments. The physicist replies that it's possiblethough highly unlikelyfor Odd to die of a brain aneurysm at that moment. Odd's first thought is that he should have had another cookie.
- The part in House of Odd when ghost-seeker Cassandra Moondragon claims a wall is unhappy, asks it to reveal its secrets, and then just stands there intoning, "Wall wall wall wall," over and over again. This is the point where Odd realizes they're in for a long night.
- Odd's Narrative Profanity Filter is often this:Odd: "He called me a rectum."
Cowboy: "YOU (fornicating) LITTLE (fornicating fornicator)!"
- Reaches its logical conclusion in Deeply Odd when Odd's Narrative Profanity Filter meets the Rhinestone Cowboy's Cluster F-Bomb:
- Then there's Kenny's description of his parents, which Odd first attempts to describe using a lot of very convoluted and contradictory images, but then gives up and admits there's no way he can convey just how colorfully filthy the man was.
- When Odd first encounters the all-powerful, mind-controlling alien hybrid In Odd Interlude, they quickly descend into hurling playground-level taunts at each other. Odd lampshades how pathetic it is.
- In Odd Interlude, Odd is obliged to steal a truck (long story). To his immense consternation, he ends up stealing it from a sweet, childless widower who is the sole support of his aging parents, spinster sister, and orphaned nephew Timmy, and who looks like Santa Clause.Odd: "I feel like crap."
- Odd and Edie's Mistaken for Gay conversation.Odd: "I love a girl."Edie: "So, you're bisexual?"Odd: "No! Good Lord! Who would have time for that?"
Funny / Odd Thomas