WARNING: Spoilers Off applies to Moments pages.
- The teaser, listing out the Humane Five and Twilight as they mention getting the band back together, and then doing a Record Needle Scratch when Sunset's name pops up. Bronies having done a blind commentary on this trailer tend to all have the same reaction at this point — "Wait, what?"
- Most everything Pinkie does (pony and human), as usual. One thing of note to mention is that even human Pinkie moves in a pronking-like gait.
- At the diner:Aria Blaze: That was barely worth the effort, Adagio. I'm tired of fast food. I need a meal.
- From the same scene.Aria Blaze: I wish we'd never been banished to this awful place!
Adagio Dazzle: Really? I love it here! [glare]
Sonata Dusk: For realsies? Because I think this place is the worst.
Aria Blaze: I think you're the worst, Sonata.
- Fluttershy goes to sniff the freshly painted poster when she thinks it smells like cake. Pinkie proceeds to push the poster into her face, leading to Fluttershy getting sprinkles and frosting dabbled on her face.
- During the Rainbooms' practice session:
- Sunset and Pinkie's recap of the previous movie's climax.Sunset Shimmer: [deadpan] A demon. I turned into a raging she-demon.
Pinkie Pie: And tried to turn everyone into teenage zombies for your own personal army!
- From the "Better than Ever" number, Big Macintosh getting photo-bombed by the Crusaders, Snips & Snails, and Trixie.
- A lot of the Humane Five's exchanges, like Rainbow declaring that the Rainbooms are her band, and her critique of Rarity and AJ's playing. AJ's Death Glare says it all.
- Flash Sentry acting all Adorkable at the thought of Twilight coming back, including trying to walk backwards out the door but walking into the wall instead.
- This exchange:Sunset Shimmer: The old me really was just awful, wasn't she?
[the other girls mutter noncommittally]
Pinkie Pie: Yep!
- As a Funny Background Event, when Rainbow Dash talks about how she is lead vocalist and guitarist, Pinkie is wearing a cymbal on her head as if it were a hat.
- Sunset and Pinkie's recap of the previous movie's climax.
- During the tour:
- Adagio, referring to Aria and Sonata's bickering:Adagio Dazzle: You'll have to excuse them. They're idiots.
- Sonata is a ditz throughout the tour, including nearly revealing that the Dazzlings are more than they seem.Aria: We have been known to sing from time to time.
Sonata: Hello! We sing, like, all the time! That's how we get people to do what we want.
- And at the end, Sonata stays behind grinning at Sunset until Adagio grabs her.
- Adagio, referring to Aria and Sonata's bickering:
- Pinkie questioning Sunset about how the Dazzlings are odd leads Pinkie to make really weird faces with her lunch. And after they've performed their first song, putting the school under a spell...Pinkie Pie: Oh, they're that kind of off.
- Right before the Dazzlings enter the cafeteria, Sonata Dusk is only focused on getting lunch, completely ignoring Adagio's plans.Sonata: It's TACO TUESDAY!
- During the song, the camera eventually pans to show our heroes, showing a close-up of Sunset in particular. She gives an Aside Glance and then her expression becomes thoroughly amusing (a combo platter of "Oh, I see what's going on" and "Really?"). Before that, even Pinkie Pie has a look of mingled confusion and horror at what's going on.
- Fluttershy struggling to say the phrase "whup anybody's butt."
- Sunset Shimmer having a magic book she can write in that will send a message to a copy book in Equestria? Plot contrivance. The book glowing and vibrating like a cell phone after an explicit comparison to the devices? Hilarious.
- This exchange, when Twilight Sparkle declares that she has to get back to Canterlot High and help stop the Dazzlings:
- Then, a little later:Twilight: That's it! Pinkie, you're a genius!
Pinkie: Yeah, I get that a lot. [grabs Rainbow] Now about those bubbles!
- Pony Pinkie demonstrating how the mirror will work once Twilight fixes it all up. What makes this hilarious is that the rest of them have no idea what Twilight just said — which means that Pinkie actually understood the whole thing. Made even better thanks to the slow pan of the camera across all of the Mane 5's faces, showing them to be utterly confuzzled, while Pinkie is just displaying her usual smile. Most viewers would probably interpret that as her "I have no idea what you just said" face, when it's actually "I know exactly what you just said".
- While waiting on Twilight to pass through the portal, Pinkie Pie and Applejack are playing cards. Applejack lays down four aces... which Pinkie tops with four Jokers. Applejack's expression says it all.
- Human Pinkie playing the theremin.Pinkie Pie: Sooooooo magical!
- During the slumber party:
- Fluttershy, Rarity and Sunset take a selfie, which Spike photobombs. Rarity looks back angrily, but Spike simply plays innocent by munching on a dog biscuit. The face he makes in that selfie is absolutely hilarious.
- AJ and Rainbow Dash playing a competitive video game, to "Fall Weather Friends"-levels of rivalry. And then Dash rage quits when she is clearly losing.
- As Twilight struggles to write a song, she stares forlornly at a page full of scribbles and doodles... including one of her disembodied head spitting lightning bolts at a crudely-drawn Adagio.
- When Twilight opens Pinkie's dresser drawer, it has candy and a half-eaten doughnut inside. When she opens it a second time, someone apparently finished the doughnut.
- Pinkie's refrigerator is packed with cans of whipped cream. Sunset lampshades "Who could possibly need this much whipped cream?"
- Sunset's late-night encounter with Maud. She's suddenly just there, freaking out Sunset, and then proceeds to feed Boulder by pouring crackers over the rock. And then walks away.Maud: Boulder was hungry.
- There's also some amusement in how despite such differences as Spike being a dog in the human world, and Gummy being a stuffed animal, Boulder is still just a rock.
- And this gem after she leaves.Sunset: I still can't get over the fact that she's related to Pinkie Pie!
Twilight: You and me both.
- At the gym for the party:
- While the rest of the students are arguing, Derpy is seen in a chair eating popcorn while all the other chaos is going on.
- Possibly unintentional but while Octavia is arguing with a male student, she points to her eyes as if to say "My Eyes Are Up Here!"
- Witnessing the students bickering in the gym, Adagio snickers that it's like there's something causing underlying tension that could blow the school apart at any moment. Sonata then bemoans it must be the fruit punch and she knew she mixed it wrong. Also, look at the bottle Sonata holds up. There is an apple on the "grape" juice's label. She does still get defensive about it...Aria: But the punch is awful too.
Sonata: What do you know about good fruit punch?
- Pinkie Pie storing cookies and her drumsticks in her hair.
- Rainbow Dash plucking out a chocolate chip right from the cookie Pinkie is about to eat earns her an annoyed glance.
- The first time the heroes try to stop the Dazzlings. The six hold their hands together and get ready to summon the Rainbow of Light once again with Twilight yelling "Friendship is Magic!" Nothing happens.Rainbow Dash: Uhhh, weren't there rainbows and lasers and stuff last time?
Spike: You, uh, really need to do that whole magic of friendship thing now.
Twilight: I'm trying, Spike!
- Word of God has also said this was Self-Deprecation, because in the past, a lot of the time defeating the villains has ended up being as simple as doing just this... except this time it isn't working!
- Pinkie, during this, has stuffed a cookie into her mouth.
- Twilight's first attempts at writing (and singing) a magical counterspell fall a bit... flat. It's so bad that the others are barely playing their instruments and Granny Smith, who overhears them play, shoves apple cores in her ears.Spike: Uh... that sounded way better than the... last five times you played it.
Big Macintosh: [walking by the window] Nope.
- When the band is deciding what to wear for their band outfits, Rarity shows off one styled on The Beatles' Sgt. Pepper costumes. She then decides that it's too "old-fashioned", and switches it out with a Daft Punk-style outfit, complete with a working replica of Guy-Manuel de Homem-Christo's helmet!Rarity: [robotic voice] You can never have enough costumes.
- The brainwashed Celestia calling the Battle of the Bands "by far the greatest thing we have ever done here at this school." You might have overdone that one a bit, Adagio.
- The other bands are full of hilarious cameos.
- Snips and Snails trying to rap. Trying being the key word. Celestia and Luna just stare while everyone else is horrified. Except for Pinkie and Sonata, they're the only ones enjoying this. Sunset Shimmer's expression is the funniest: you can just hear her thinking, "I can't believe I associated myself with those two bozos..." Also, Adagio and Aria are trying to hold back their laughter while watching this.
- When Snips and Snails finish, the two do a Mic Drop, without the audio being cut, resulting in horrible feedback. And then Celestia says, completely stone-faced, "please do not drop the microphones".
- The Crusaders wearing outfits similar to those the CMC wore in "The Show Stoppers".
- Derpy's band, consisting of a cowbell, triangle, and Derpy on lead playing the saw.
- Bulk Biceps playing a tiny violin. Not to mention he advances past the first round.
- During the Rainbooms' first performance in the Battle proper, Photo Finish and her band, and Snips and Snails are attempting to sabotage them, creating a number of individually great moments: Rarity being dragged around by magnets attached to metal decorations on her outfit's sleeves, and then collapsing in tears when the sleeves are ripped off; Fluttershy freaking out over the spotlight, eventually taking shelter by hiding behind the drum kit; Pinkie flipping her floor tom over and launching confetti from it as if it were a Party Cannon; and AJ's plain old annoyed "the stuff I have do deal with" look throughout the whole song.
- After the disaster of a first performance, wherein Rarity's sleeves get torn off and she ends up in tears while they dangle from magnets, Fluttershy is hiding behind the stage, and Applejack is glaring out at the audience, Celestia and Luna's wide-eyed expressions, while they applaud, are hilarious.
- Freeze-Frame Bonus for the Dazzlings. At the end of their Villain Song "Under Our Spell" when the camera pans out from their pendant to feature them together, Aria and Sonata are both sporting a Slasher Smile in a similar vein as Adagio, except instead of looking evil or scary, they instead look absolutely silly. Moreso with Aria's pose making her look like she's trying to reach out and touch Adagio's big poofy hair.
- Rainbow's ridiculously over-the-top showboating during "Awesome As I Wanna Be". Awesome Ego at its finest.
- As Rainbow plays this and starts her transformation, Sunset tackles her to stop her — this creates a chain of events that result in the other bandmates dropping or losing their instruments (such as AJ's bass landing through one of Pinkie's snares). Except Fluttershy, who, after a Beat realizes she's on stage, freaks out and runs off.
- Adagio comment after that Trixie use a trap door on the stage to remove the Rainbooms from the competition. And Sonata has another ditzy moment.Adagio: Told you someone would give them a shove.
Sonata: She didn't shove them. She pulled a lever.
Aria: Go back to sleep, Sonata.
- Even during their Darkest Hour, where Pinkie screams if anyone remembers fun, she gives a hint: it's the exact opposite of being in the Rainbooms.
- DJ Pon-3's Cool Car being a Deus ex Machina — it's a mobile sound system that lets the Rainbooms project their counter-spell song over the Dazzling's song.
- When the Rainbooms crash the show in during "Welcome to the Show", Adagio turns and glares at Sonata with a look that says "What did you do wrong this time?!"
- Even funnier is Adagio's face when she notices the Rainbooms. It's a hilarious expression that mixes confusion and disgust.
- You have to admit that during the Rainboom's crash in during "Welcome to the Show", Fluttershy is... really not intimidating with her tambourine. It comes off as more adorable than anything!
- After the Dazzlings have their transformations reversed and their amulets shattered, they stand and begin to sing, revealing that without their amulets, they have terrible natural singing voices. Just the fact that the amulets have the Power of Auto-Tune. And the complete Oh, Crap! looks on their faces◊ when they realize what's happened. Plus, they clearly know exactly how screwed they are, but are such drama queens that they have to give it another try anyway.
- Trixie, for all purposes, being very inconvenient when Flash and Twilight have a romantic moment.
- Trixie's Smoke Out Running Gag returns! PoofPinkie Pie: She's gone! [beat] Oh wait. There she is! [spots Trixie climbing over the bleachers]
- Followed by Trixie losing her balance and falling.Trixie: Trixie is okay!
- At the end of the film, Sunset reveals she can also play guitar with an adorable smile. Her friends are completely stunned. And Rainbow's subsequent "Oh crap!" face.
- Before Twilight and Spike go back through the portal, while Twilight is talking, Pinkie sticks her head in the portal for a few seconds and comes back out with her hair messy and a dazed look on her face.
- In a Katrina Hadley drawing seen during the end credits, Spike is depicted as a dragon eating some dog biscuits, with a very guilty "I hope no-one catches me doing this" look. Guess old habits never die, eh, Spikey-poo?
- The novelization of the film extends some of the arguments between Aria and Sonata.Sonata: For realsies? Because I think this place is the worst.
Aria: I think you're the worst, Sonata.
Sonata: Oh yeah? Well, I think you're worser than the worst, Aria.
Aria: Yeah? I'm kinda busy right now. Can I totally ignore you some other time?
Aria: And what you would have said if you weren't the worst.
Sonata: You are the worst.
Aria: Remember when I asked for your opinion? Yeah. Me neither.
- The dedication of the novelization is yet another poke at Sunset Shimmer brief stint as a psychotic she-demon: "For friends who overlook each other's mistakes, differences... and those times when they accidentally turn into world-conquering devil-monsters."
- The audio commentary on the DVD. One of the creators blames the green smoke filling the cafeteria on the Taco Tuesday menu.
- The fact that Applejack appears to be the only one annoyed by Rarity's obsession with fashion for the band.