open/close all folders
- The show starts off hilariously with the first episode of the first season, when the girls try to convince Yui to join their club. In no time the club room changes into nothing less than a war zone, complete with emotional close-ups of all involved. That scene's punch line ("You guys are really not that great") is very funny as well.
- Mugi "bargaining" with the music store clerk - who, by the way, recognizes her immediately as the daughter of the shop's owner - to get a discount on the guitar. Lower!
- Episode 3. Mio lets Yui feel her fingers to show how they'll get stronger as she plays the guitar more. Yui gets... a bit too into it. PUNI PUNI!!!.
- Moe Moe Kyun~! That is all. (S1 04 14:55)
- After a long practice with Sawako-sensei, Yui ends up losing her voice. Thanks to Sawako, she can play and sing at the same time, but strained her voice in the process. Now Mio has to sing. "Do it for Husky Yui!"
- The part of episode 5 where the characters start acting like they're in a mystery manga.
- And then they're interrupted by an utterly furious Mio. Keep in mind she was last seen cowering in fear after Ritsu pretends that the blisters on her hands broke open.
- This pays dividends in episode 6 where Mio does lead vocals for "Fuwa Fuwa Time" but Yui still provides backup vocals... with her hoarse voice.
- The part of episode 5 where the characters start acting like they're in a mystery manga.
- Mio's infamous Panty Shot.
- Sawako-sensei trying to punish Yui by making her wear an embarrassing Santa outfit, only for it to backfire when Yui proves to have no sense of shame.
- Several from Episode 9:
- Azusas guitar playing not only wows the members of the Light Music Club, but also intimidates Yui — who, when Azusa asks to hear her play, feigns a bad back as an excuse not to (which no one buys). After her second attempt at using the excuse, she gives in and begs Azusa to teach her how to play.
- Azusa (frustrated at the groups apparent lack of motivation) ordering for the removal of all tea sets, a thought that is too much to handle for Sawako-sensei.Sawako-sensei: (grabbing onto Azusa) No, please! Anything but that!
- Azusas first bite of cake, which she deems tasty. When Ritsu smugly asks her what she just said, Azusa immediately backtracks.Azusa: I said wasty! A waste!
- And immediately after, Azusa being excited when Yui offers her another piece of cake, then her disappointment when she takes it back. Then excitement again when Yui holds it out, then disappointment
- Mio tries on the cat ears headband while no one else is in the club room. As soon as she puts it on, though, Ritsu peeks through the door chuckling, startling Mio and prompting her to take it off right away.Mio: (holding the headband in front of her face, embarrassed) A--a mustache!Ritsu: That's lame, Mio.
- From Episode 10:Yui: "What's that?"Azusa: "It's a tuner. I use it for tuning my guitar."Yui: "Oh... so that's a tuner. This is my first time seeing one."Azusa: "Then how do you tune your guitar?"Yui: "Just randomly." *strums the guitar, all strings are perfectly in tune*Azusa: "PERFECT PITCH!? I can't decide if she's amazing or not..."
- Episode 14: Live House:
- When required to fill out a lighting-sheet for their performance, none of the members of Houkago Tea Time know anything about actually putting on a show, or what to write in the form. Yui's first thought is... to ask the scariest-looking group present.Ritsu: "In a way, Yui is the toughest of us all..."
- When required to fill out a lighting-sheet for their performance, none of the members of Houkago Tea Time know anything about actually putting on a show, or what to write in the form. Yui's first thought is... to ask the scariest-looking group present.
- Episode 2 when Yui discovers raw of screws in a hardware shop:Yui: "Look at this! Check out all these screws!"Azusa: "You're spazzing out, too?"Yui: "These are ALL screws!"
Ui: How this, Yui? Is this ok?
- And then Yui gets her hands on an electric screwdriver and proceeds to "shoot" Mio and Azusa with it. Ritsu calls her out for her behavior and then proceeds to blind Mio with a hard hat's headlight. Yui then shows up in construction coveralls, suggesting that they use it for a show with them writing "Afternoon Tea-Time" on the back, which Azusa shoots down, saying it makes them sound more like a biker gang.
- The group getting tempted to split the money they got from selling Sawako's old guitar amongst themselves instead of putting it in the club's fund. What does Yui want to do with her share? Have Ui slap her with it! Complete with an Imagine Spot.
Yui: No, harder! (laughs)
- The next day, Sawako asks for the receipt, which leads to Ritsu trying to eat it with everyone else cheering her on.
- Jakka jakka jan jan jakka jan! JAKKA JAN!
- Episode 8 has Yui and Ritsu be given a book of sample admission exams, which happens to contain some English, shocking the two. This leads to Ritsu declaring that since they're Japanese, they don't need English with Yui cheering her on and laughing haughtily before being reminded that they need to pass English in order to graduate.
- Made even funnier in the English dub as we're treated to Ritsu and Yui stating how they don't need English while speaking in English.
- In a flashback from the same episode, Nodoka stops Yui from eating a crayon on the first day they met.
- Tiny little Azu-nyan dragging YUI crying and screaming by the collar off to study in Episode 9.
- From Episode 12:
- Yui initially believes that the rock festival Natsu Fest is a mountain before Azusa clarifies that it is in the mountains. Yui then thinks that she means inside the mountains, complete with an Imagine Spot of a subterranean prehistoric civilization.Yui: Were not going to get eaten alive up there, are we?Mio: I really dont know what youre thinking, but whatever it is, its wrong.
- Sawako-sensei arriving at the bus station hungover from a show the previous night.
- Yui initially believes that the rock festival Natsu Fest is a mountain before Azusa clarifies that it is in the mountains. Yui then thinks that she means inside the mountains, complete with an Imagine Spot of a subterranean prehistoric civilization.
- Episode 13 — Azusa's tan, left over from Natsu Fest, results in some amusing interactions back home. To her chagrin, neither Ui nor Sawako-sensei (who was with Azusa at said festival) are initially able to recognize her, each having the exact same who are you? reactionnote . And then when she meets up with Jun
Jun: (confused) Who are you?Azusa: I KNEW YOU WERE GONNA SAY THAT!
- Episode 14 In an attempt to get hit in the forehead, Mugi tries stealing the one strawberry atop Mio's slice of cake. The look on Mio's face is what really made that scene brilliant.
- From Episode 16: "Aren't waitresses supposed to have cat ears?"
- And from the same episode, Azusa sounding like all four of her seniors on her way to the club room.
- Several moments in episode 18, as if the plot for that — Mio and Ritsu trying to play against type — wasn't enough.
"That'd get noisy real fast..."
- "She fainted..."
- Mio's Freak Out in the beginning, complete with her listing reasons she can't be in the play that get more outlandish with each one, is pretty funny - and then the camera angle changes, revealing that Yui has been holding her arms like a tree the entire time.
- Mugi suggests to Mio that she should pretend Ritsu is the only one watching her. Mio looks out at the girls and imagines that they all have Ritsu's face.
- In Episode 21, the whole affair with Yui cutting her bangs. Without a mirror.
- Episode 25 is full of comedic moments:
- The clubs cheesy first recruitment video — complete with sentient uniforms and instruments (with the members visibly crouched behind the objects and moving them around) and a welcome from a costumed, visibly uncomfortable Mio. Azusas reaction sums it up.Azusa: W—what in the world is this?
- "Welcome to the Light Music Club, meow!"
- The fact that it was included in the final cut.Sawako-sensei: I just couldnt bring myself to leave that one out! *Kawaii pose*
- The fact that it was included in the final cut.
- The club discusses ideas for a new recruitment video:
- Sawako-senseis idea for the recruitment video: a Hollywood-style movie trailer with dramatic cuts, an equally dramatic voiceover, and explosions that wouldnt be out of place in a Michael Bay film.
- Mios idea is to depict the club from Ton-Chans point of view, with some of the other members deliberating on how Ton-Chan should sound.Ritsu: (impersonating Ton-Chan) Im Ton-Chan the pig-nosed turtle! Word up, yo!
- Ritsus idea is to highlight the supposed benefits of joining the Light Music Club on a talk show including getting into her school of choice, winning the lottery, growing taller, and having silky smooth skin. Azusa remarks that it sounds like a bad infomercial.
- Yuis is to use the animal costumes in dances or comedic skits. The Imagine Spot of all of them in costume shows Yui and Mugi dancing around, with Ritsu and Azusa simply looking on in hesitation (Azusa flinches from the dancing) and Mio curled up off to the side.
- Mugis incredibly suspenseful narratives.
- Yui helping Mio with math homework (for a filmed scene).
- The final recruitment video:
- The clubs cheesy first recruitment video — complete with sentient uniforms and instruments (with the members visibly crouched behind the objects and moving them around) and a welcome from a costumed, visibly uncomfortable Mio. Azusas reaction sums it up.
- Sawako-sensei briefly fantasizes about a masked Ritsu playing epic death metal beats at the foot of the TOWER OF BABEL.
- Another one: Mio finally giving in to Sawa-chan's hobby.
- Omochi Race. That is all.
- "WAA WA WA"
- Azusa imagining herself as club president.
- The whole exchange between Yui and college K-On member Akira.
- On the first day of their senior year, Ui decides to change her hairstyle... to look exactly like Yui. She then plays up the joke by saying that she really is Yui ("I wanted to see Azu-nyan and came here pretending to be Ui!")... and Azusa starts believing her.
- Ui regrets doing that when Sawako starts talking to her chest, which Sawako has already noticed is bigger than her older sister's from the first time Ui did that.Sawako: *staring at Ui's chest* "Oh, hello Ui."Ui: "Hello to my chest? Please don't talk to my chest..."
- Ui regrets doing that when Sawako starts talking to her chest, which Sawako has already noticed is bigger than her older sister's from the first time Ui did that.
- The fact that Azusa can't sing.
- The new high school light music club member Okuda somehow makes Yui seem like a genius.
- It's discovered that she's been inadvertently giving people parts that require three hands or six fingers to play right. This doesn't stop Ui from playing it perfectly. (No, she does not have six fingers.)
- One chapter of the high school spinoff starts with Azusa announcing that she's going to run a tight ship, practice hard, and really impress Yui with how great the new club's band is going to be (now that they have enough members). She then walks into the room to find Sumire in a maid outfit serving tea to Sawako.NOTHING HAS CHANGED!!
- Azusa wants to rub Sumire's head, remembering Mio doing it to her. Unfortunately, not enough words — or too many — slip out, and it backfires...Azusa: No, not me!