- During the Big Badass Battle Sequence, Superman calls, AVENGERS ASSEMBLE!, and Wasp adds, "And Justice League, uh—Lambaste!◊"note The Justice League of America never did get themselves a battlecry. But it sounds like something The Flash would say. There were some proposals in the Justice League International. The Martian Manhunter rejected them.
- When they first arrive in the DC universe, the Avengers are surprised by the overt friendliness and respect from the curious civilians. That is, all save Hawkeye. Who, by the way, is more than happy to give out autographs.
- Hawkeye gets another one when the Avengers meet Metron, like the Justice League. The Avengers react to the display of the artifacts with shock and concern, save Hawkeye, who was embarrassed as one of the artifacts (the Ultimate Nullifier) had already been lost to the JLA.
- Another moment from Hawkeye, at the end of the first issue where he describes the JLA: "They're nothin' but a bunch of Squadron Supreme wannabes! Five gets you ten they're mind-controlled!"
- Even funnier in context of when it was published, the Avengers had just had several encounters with the Squadron Supreme, who are notoriously easy to mind-control (it's rare in their universe so they have no defense against it).
- And it's even funnier that the comic opens with the Avengers being mind-controlled by Starro the Conqueror.
- Hawkeye learning quickly The Flash is not The Whizzer.Hawkeye: Here—I'll show you how it's done—Starting with the Whizzer wannabe in red! (shoots a boomerang-tipped arrow at Flash)
Flash: (dodges) Ah-ah! Not that easy, "Purple Arrow"!
Hawkeye: (under his breath) Heh. Boomerang arrow gets 'em every--
Flash: Sorry... (catches the arrow coming from behind)
Flash: ...But I've had a little experience with boomerangs--!note (runs past Hawkeye, knocking him down)
Hawkeye: Aw, man! It woulda worked on the Whizzer...
- A little Foreshadowing there - while all of the heroes are deadly serious, these two are having fun. (This would become a plot point in Issue 4.)
- Plastic Man's rant to Batman as shown above: "HEL-LO! WERE YOU EVEN LISTENING TO YOURSELF?! "Stick to the plan," he says. "Observe and move on," he says. But does he follow the plan? Or does he spend twenty minutes beating up some LOON in Kevlar to save some drug dealers?!"
- Before the bit about the Punisher, while the League is patrolling Earth-616, Superman is in Michigan witnessing the scene of a Hulk rampage and has the appropriate reaction. And what's Ol' Jade-Jaws doing? Gorging himself with food from a fridge in the market he just plowed through.
- In the background of one splash page, we see Batman doing a flying kick straight through Vision. The look on his face is priceless◊.
- From the same page: The expression on Plastic Man's face while Quicksilver ties his body into knots.
- Another one from Plastic Man: in the Justice League's second foray into Earth-616, they split up in pairs to look for the remaining items of that universe. Superman picks Green Lantern, Wonder Woman picks Aquaman... leaving a noticeably annoyed Martian Manhunter to take Plastic Man with him.Plas: Yoicks and... awaaayyy!
- In Issue #3, we see an ideal combined reality where the Justice League and Avengers work together, in their 60's-80's lives. Time keeps glitching around to different parties they held, and one party on the JLA satellite... is Luau themed. In fact, you can even see Batman wearing a lei.
- This also gives a hilarious match up nobody truly expected but makes sense: Wonder Woman and Wonder Man arm wrestling each other.
- Also, according to those watching, Wonder Man has never beaten Wonder Woman in arm wrestling, ever.
- Both funny and awesome: in Issue 4, Wonder Woman decides to fall back while the assembled heroes moved forward, to take on any threats from behind. Just as she prepares to battle Surtur, She-Hulk and Hippolyta offer to help her.She-Hulk: Hey, Star-shorts! Figured you'd be bored here by yourself so I thought I'd hang with you. We can talk girl-talk. Y'know, kicking butt, taking names, like that.
- It also counts as a Heartwarming Moment, as Hippolyta (from her Wonder Woman stage) also asks to join her. Keep in mind, she was dead at the time.
- Some of the Leaguers are pretty disturbed with Uatu the Watcher just staring right into the Watchtower, most of all Firestorm:Firestorm: I gotta go to the bathroom. But if he sees through walls...
- That Firestorm line becomes a Brick Joke later after he and Red Tornado nab their artifact out from under Thor and Vision's noses.Firestorm: Now let's go find a Big Belly Burger restroom before I burst...
- That Firestorm line becomes a Brick Joke later after he and Red Tornado nab their artifact out from under Thor and Vision's noses.
- Vision and Aquaman meet in a snowy Metropolis as time and space collapse around them. Neither of them quite knows what is going on, and Aquaman attacks the Vision in frustration. Vision's response:Vision: But perhaps, since we do not know our circumstances, we should refrain from killing one another until we know more.
Aquaman: ...point taken.
- Ben Grimm's brief visit to the Batcave. "Yer idea a' small change, huh?" (Referring to the giant "Bad Penny" trophy.)
- Martian Manhunter's inability to read the minds of the Marvel Universe's denizens in one issue is a constant Running Gag. Even he admitted it was getting on his nerves.
- Quicksilver's growing envy that his speedster counterpart The Flash has his own museum.
- Hawkeye and Green Arrow's rivalry through out the story is hilarious to watch.
- Once Iron Man and Hawkeye steal Kyle's Lantern battery, they teleport away before Flash can stop them, leaving poor Flash alone and empty-handed... in Green Lantern's trashed apartment.Flash: Oh man, Kyle is gonna kill me...
- Wonder Woman angrily punching out and mopping the floor with poor Hercules, referring to him as the "despoiler of Hippolyta".note Though poor Herc, often oblivious and never the most tactful, really doesn't help his case much.note Wonder Woman: You are Hercules, then? Despoiler of Hippolyta?Hercules: I would not use those words, myself, but I did have the honor of... (Wonder Woman punches him hard in the jaw)
- During the same scene, She-Hulk flirts a bit with Aquaman while complaining that he's slippery as an eel as he escapes with the artifact he and Wonder Woman were looking for. Aquaman accepts the compliment.
- All of Plastic Man's Funny Background Event moments. When Aquaman is giving the team instructions, he asks, "Ooh, who died and made him king, huh?", giving himself a crown and trident, and adding, "Oh, wait, that's right..."
- Eric Masterson (a.k.a. Thunderstrike) as Thor blurting "Huh? Who're you?" to Superman Blue.
- While fighting side-by-side, Superman comments on how cool Captain America's shield is. When he asks where he might get one like it. Thor has to tell the Man of Steel that Cap's shield is one of a kind.
- Photon (aka Monica Rambeau, who had taken the Captain Marvel alias for a time) yells "Marvel, watch out!" as she fires a blast. The DC Captain Marvel (punching Ronan the Accuser) and Captain Mar-Vell (punching Black Adam) both yell "thanks!".
- The Hulk stands in the middle of a gang of supervillains, roaring defiantly for them to attack him. Suddenly, the temporal distortion teleports Hulk away, replacing him with Yazz, a blue pterodactyl alien that for a brief time was the Justice League's accountant. It doesn't end well.
- And the Funny Background Event, even the other heroes watching are shocked by the sudden swap.
Funny / JLA/Avengers