open/close all folders
Iron Chef (Japan)
- Kaga's reaction when he asks Katsuyo Kobayashi to choose an Iron Chef. The traditional tension of the moment gets ruined when Kobayashi cheerfully says she doesn't care who she faces, since all three are Iron Chefs. Kaga is taken aback by such a gentle response.
- Kyoko Kagata became the first female challenger to defeat Chen. When she returned for a second show a few years later, she once more chose Chen who first nods then has a hysterical "oh, not again!" face. (He won the rematch).
- In a rematch with Bobby Flay, there's a scene where Chairman Kaga smiles endearingly at a burger and then tries to bite into it, only to have the contents slip out of the bun.
- Kandagawa taunting Sakai in Battle Lotus Root, which was funny in and of itself, reached a head after Kandagawa made a long strip out of one lotus root and presented it to Sakai, remarking "You wanna wear this belt?" Sakai finally snapped, telling Kandagawa to leave him alone and finally shouting "You're always bothering people! Nobody LIKES you!"
- In one episode, the challenger brought his mentor as a guest/assistant. During the battle, the (visibly drunk) mentor was looking over the shoulder of one of the assistants working on the challenger's side when suddenly, the mentor flat-out punched him in the face! And when asked why he did that, the mentor said something like "Oh, he wasn't doing it right."
- The look on Chen's face when the secret ingredient is unveiled... in Battle Yogurt. When questioned about his dishes he looks and sounds like he doesn't even remember what he'd just been through for the last hour. He then wins.
- Heck, the entire battle is this. Every time Ohta goes to Chen for commentary on the cooking, Chen is extremely irritated and complains that he's flying by the seat of his pants. Chen also gives some great sarcastic comments to the producers after the battle is over.
- Sakai's reactions at the start of his battle against Italian chef Kyōnori Miura, with the theme being squid. First he says in surprise, "They're alive!" and soon gets bitten by one as he prepares it. The commentators don't miss a chance to poke fun at Sakai's disgust with handling the slimy ingredient either.
- He was even worse during an earlier battle that used octopus. Sakai actually drops one on the floor and leaves it to squirm around while the announcers laugh and exclaim "It's getting away!"
- There is a Rice battle involving Chen that was never officially dubbed. Chairman Kaga's introduction of the theme ingredient is a sight to behold.
- From the Yamashita/Morimoto overtime Scallion battle (following the Cod Roe tie), one of the judges talks to the food.
- Kaga makes his opinion known about Udon, the day's theme ingredient.
- Challenger Wang Zhijian's reaction to the day's theme ingredient. His opponent, Michiba? Completely stonefaced.
- The way Chairman Kaga announces ingredients in his native Japanese tongue. From the flair he introduces them to uttering "familiar" words in a different context (Example: Tako (pronounced "Taco"; yes, the Mexican Meal) is Japanese for Octopus).
- During a mushroom battle that was never officially dubbed, Italian challenger Daniella Ozik spontaneously breaks out into song in the middle of the battle. With a minute to go and all her dishes complete, she starts singing in Chen's direction, to the amusement of the commentators.
- At the start of a never-dubbed all-Iron Chef Japanese (Nakamura v Morimoto) battle, for some reason, Michiba is announcing the theme ingredient. After yanking the red tablecloth off the dais, up rises a wicker hutch containing three live hens (thankfully *not* the theme ingredient), straw and a buttload of white eggs. Nakamura already cracks up, and sports a doofy "WTF?" grin at the over-the-top presentation (while Morimoto stays stonefaced)...and then Michiba just says "Tamago!" ("Eggs!") with nothing resembling Kaga's trademark hammy gravitas. Kaga, also at the dais with Michiba, totally corpses, cracking up with an audible wheeze. See here.
- Comedian Shinsuke Shimada challenged Chen Kenichi in a Taisho Shrimp battle in 1996. With a minute to go in the battle, he sits on a bucket and reads the horse race section of the newspaper. Ohta chimes in with a report that this was Shimada's image of Japanese cuisine chefs. Then, at the 30-second mark, Shimada has a hard time getting back up, saying, "My butt got stuck."
- Just prior to Shimada pulling out the newspaper, Ohta reports Chen claimed to have been ignored, thanks to the high profile of the challenger.
Iron Chef America
- "STAY OUT OF MY CORRIDOR!"
- Which then got topped by Alton digging himself deeper in a hole when he was caught in the corridor...again.
- Mario Batali mocking the automated announcer in an early episode."I was not mocking your announcer, good sir, merely repeating what she said in a different tone of voice!"
- The Holiday episode in 2011 of Iron Chef America (Symon vs Morimoto) had Alton constantly letting you know that the theme ingredient was HIS fruitcake.
- The holiday episode with Cat Cora and Paula Deen vs. Robert Irwin and Tyler Florence.
Tina Fey: This seems like one of those really subtle drinks that sneaks up on you. One moment you're having a drink, and the next moment you've got your top off
- Paula actually BITES Robert's finger.
- Not to mention judge Tina Fey telling Robert to "be careful with those guns" when he takes off his chef's jacket.
- When the girls present one of their dishes with a little peppermint cocktail.
Ted Allen: Tina! You're ruining Christmas for everyone!
- Morimoto vs. Cantu: beets.
- Honorable mention for Alton fangirling over most of what Cantu's doing, especially the "class IV laser" that he totes.
- Then...there was the rematch. In particular, everything Morimoto did. The faces he made, taking a huge gulp of distilled white vinegar and flailing around in reaction, and his little "Da-da!" as he spritzed the judge's plates.
- Angelo Sosa vs Bobby Flay in the Las Vegas episode. Prior to the announcement of the "secret ingredient", Angelo cheerfully states he's got his "red underwear on." The chairman is left stunned.
- The way Dacascos announces a certain theme ingredient: beer. Witness.