- After Coop finds out that Murph got into trouble because she insisted that the older textbook (which said the moon landing wasn't faked) was right and got into a fight because of it, the teachers demand to know what he plans to do about it. He calmly explains that her favorite baseball team is playing on the weekend...so he'll take her to that.Murph: Well, what happened?
Coop: I got you suspended.
- The Blight has been so devastating to human civilization that the New York Yankees have been reduced to barnstorming playing minor league baseball in half empty stadiums.
- However, people still willingly go and appreciate their presence.
- Then there's Donald's comment while watching the game."Popcorn at a ball game is unnatural. I want a hot dog."
- TARS's introduction scene, where he tries his best to act like a badass interrogator and ends up kicking off the whole Snark-to-Snark Combat camaraderie with Cooper.
- During takeoff.TARS: Everybody good? Plenty of slaves for my robot colony?
- TARS.I have a cue light I can use when I'm joking, if you like. [...] Yeah, you can use it to find your way back to the ship after I blow you out the airlock.
- When talking about dropping TARS into the black hole to gather data:Cooper: You'd do this for us?
TARS: Before you get all teary, try to remember that as a robot, I have to do anything you say.
Cooper: Your cue light's broken.
TARS: I'm not joking. (Beat) *Cue light flashes on*
- Before Cooper goes into cryo:Cooper: (Whispers) TARS, did Brand ever mention...TARS: Why are you whispering? They can't hear you.
- When leaving for Miller's planet - TARS has this for the departing crew as he's left behind with Romilly:TARS: I wouldn't leave you behind (Beat) Dr. Brand.
- When talking about dropping TARS into the black hole to gather data:
- A darkly humorous moment, during the fight with Mann as he bangs his helmet against Cooper's:
- During the race to the Endurance, Cooper figures that Fish out of Temporal Water Mann can still dock with autopilot:CASE: Not since TARS disabled it.
Cooper: [beat] Nice!
- And right after that:Cooper: What's your trust setting, TARS?
TARS: Lower than yours, apparently.
- And right after that:
- While he's trying to dock, Dr Mann makes a speech, but then gets cut off and killed VIOLENTLY by depressurisation before he can finish. Made even funnier by the fact that the tense music gets cut off suddenly and doubles as Black Comedy.Dr Mann: There is a moment..(BOOM!!!)
- TARS explaining to Cooper where he is after they fall into the black hole.TARS: ...but they created this 3-dimensional space inside their 5-dimensional reality to help you understand it.
Cooper: Yeah, well, it ain't working.
- Kids playing baseball on the space colony and managing to break a skylight by hitting a ball straight up, causing it to land on the other side of the colony.
- The doctor and nurse laugh at Cooper's thinking that Cooper Station was named after him when it was actually named for Murph (though she had him to inspire her).
- In the denouement:Cooper: Humor: 75%.
TARS: Confirmed. Auto self destruct sequence in T minus 10, 9...
Cooper: Let's make that 60%.
TARS: [Long Beat] *With a very audible tone of resignation* 60% confirmed. [Beat] Knock knock.
Cooper: You want 55?
- Finding himself years in the future, his daughter revered as the savior of humanity, Coop discovers that, in telling the story of her father, she has taken the opportunity to play a little prank on him:Coop: You told them I liked farming?
Funny / Interstellar