Per wiki policy, Spoilers Off applies here and all spoilers are unmarked. You Have Been Warned.
open/close all folders
Free! - Iwatobi Swim Club (Season 1)
- Haruka attempting to jump in a fish tank.
- Haruka's insistence on wearing his swimsuit everywhere.
- Makoto's constant henpecking of Haruka and his choice to wear the swimming suit under everything.
- When Nagisa, Makoto, and Haru go to the Samezuka pool, Nagisa decides to join Haru, who has already jumped in. As Makoto reminds Nagisa that, unlike Haru, he doesn't have a swimsuit, Nagisa yanks off all his clothes and says "I'm gonna skinny dip!" in a totally cheerful tone. The look on Makoto's face is hilarious.
- Nagisa pulling Duck Season, Rabbit Season on Gou in regards to her name.
- Rei's bellyflop into the Samezuka pool at his first swim practice.
- Not to mention that he wasn't intending to swim in the first place (being unable to swim and all), and is forced into a tiny Speedo in order to do said bellyflop.
- Speaking of Rei, there's also his ridiculous fashion sense during the shopping trip, including a butterfly themed swimsuit (complete with wings). Buso Renkin might suddenly come to mind.
- Even funnier is that when he's showing the butterfly suit off, Makoto shouts, "Where did you find that?!" offscreen.
- Haruka's attempt to get someone to join the swimming club so he could swim through the whole year. It fails immediately.
- Nagisa's attempts to use Amakata to get more members into the swim club.
- The first time, he suggests they get members to join by promising them that they'll see her in a swimsuit. Cue a pissed Amakata standing behind him, sporting a black Battle Aura and letting out a long 'Excuse me?!?'.
- The second time, he says that instead of showing off Amakata in a swimsuit to the new members, the members will show off their swimsuits to her. Cue a shot of her standing behind them, sporting a creepy smile that would do many a Stringy-Haired Ghost Girl proud.Makoto and Nagisa: WE'RE SO SORRY!
- This exchange from episode 3. Haruka's so offended and protective of the water!Nagisa: I don't think Rei-chan likes water.Haruka: We don't need anyone like that. Don't let him in the water.
- The shopping trip in episode 4. The things they try on have to be seen to be believed. Especially Rei's.
- For example, a rainbow striped one, a flamboyant purple-black butterfly one, etc.Rei: I'm accounting for each color having a different psychological impact.
Makoto: So, you don't care what it looks like?
- Rei sounds so proud of himself for finding the suit too.
- The fact that no one can tell the difference between the suits Haru tries on and the suits he already has. He insists he prefers the fit of what he tries on, though. Something about seeing him glance intently between two (seemingly?) identical pairs of trunks is worth a grin as well.
- Throughout this fashion show, Kou's fangirling gets progressively less enthusiastic until she's fallen asleep by the end of it.
- For example, a rainbow striped one, a flamboyant purple-black butterfly one, etc.
- As it turns out, Haru has a selection of swimming trunks to choose from. The best part? They're all exactly the same, sans a slightly different pattern on each and, very important, they all fit different.
- The animators at KyoAni must have had a lot of fun with episode 4. Special mention goes to that butt clench. Goodness.
- Rei's swimming failures in episode 4, especially when he tries to do the backstroke. When he did, less and less arm stuck out of the water, until only a small ripple on the surface remained.
- Relating to above, when other characters discuss why Rei can't swim Haruka suggests that water doesn't like him. Cue Nagisa actually pitying the poor guy.
- One that might not be so obvious: in episode five, Rei attempts to adjust his glasses..... then realizes that he's not wearing his glasses.
- In episode 6, the Iwatobi boys play a truth-or-dare type game, and Haru is told to tell about an experience with love. He tells a story about the first time he saw a waterfall.
- So much of the drama CD. Special mention goes to Rin having to wear a maid outfit.
- Gou having extensive notes on the rival competitors muscles. Gou fangirling over muscles in general.
- Bonus points for the boys not even reacting to her. They've gotten so used to her now.
- The scene from episode 9 when Haru is playing the yo-yo fishing game and has already won at least five yo-yo's, but he keeps playing is funny for some reason. It probably has to do with his completely deadpan expression as he plays.
- Ninja/Detective Rei from episode 9. Also his dramatic 'Sky High!' pose from earlier in the episode.
- Also the Reichantei pun Nagisa makes. If you didn't get it, it's a pun on "meitantei", meaning 'great detective'. Case Closed comes to mind, and it's probably what inspired the joke in the first place.
- The preview for episode 10 has Rei and and Rin fiercely competing to see which one can pronounce "all out" better.
- Making it even more hilarious, neither can pronounce it recognizably.
- Perfect body!
- The whole thing was actually an adlib from the VAs, and it was so funny the producers decided to Throw It In.
- The English was played around in the official Cantonese dub of the anime. Instead of "all out" Rei actually ends up mispronouncing it as "loh yau", which means 'butt' in the language. Rin wasn't too impressed, and the two argue over the pronunciation just like the original Japanese version.
- Making it even more hilarious, neither can pronounce it recognizably.
- "Are you Rin-chan-san?"
- "Losing... moisture..."
- Related to the above is this gem:Nagisa: (unconcerned) I think hes dying.Makoto: Then why are you so calm about it?!
- Related to the above is this gem:
- The entirety of the FrFr! Special extra from the DVD/Blu-Ray version.
- Rin's Engrish and Neat Freak tendencies in the second FrFr! short. Special mention goes to his reaction to Nitori's preserved umbilical cord and porn mag.
Free! - Eternal Summer (Season 2)
- Mermaid!Haru in the second season ending credits. That is all.
- Chef!Haru dumping cake on Cop!Rin's head.
- The team's recruitment method, courtesy of Gou; have the members show off their swimming moves and state their "charm points" (i.e, what Gou thinks their best-looking muscles are) after stripping on stage. Note: This is why no one joined the team.
Makoto: I've got backstroke for days!
- The dub of this scene:
- Mikoshiba's inspiring, hope-filled parting words to his underclassmen. Really, the underclassmen's reactions in general.Mikoshiba: No tears, no regrets. Look alive! It ain't gonna be a pool party after I'm gone! Come April, you'll have a world-class badass note settin' the pace! I advise you to enjoy the slack while you can, ladies!
- Nagisa's impression of Rin.◊
- Episode 2 starts with Rin and Sousuke having an intense stare off, then it looks like they're about to start attacking each other... Only to then pull off some sort of secret handshake.
- The appearance of Momotarou. First with his telling of his nickname as "The Sea of Japan's Sea Otter" and his crushing on Gou and using the exact same phrase as his brother Seijuurou.
- In episode 3, Sasabe's attempt to give the club an anecdote in the same manner as Amakata. He even does the finger-point-with-eyes-closed pose that she does.
- Haru's part of the relay footrace has him repeating his "The water is alive" internal monologue, but for the wind instead. There's something very Narm Charm-y about it, especially when it's shown that his form is perfect, but his speed less than average.
- After Rei repeatedly ditches the team to run some "errands", they assume he is planning to quit the swim club and beg him not to. After he assures them all that he will never quit the club, they are greatly relieved... then he leaves them again to run some more "errands." The looks on their faces are priceless.◊
- Momotarou getting distracted by Rin's cleavage. No, there's no further context needed, that's exactly what happens.
- When Rei reveals what he's been learning, the team attempts to act surprised so he won't know they knew about his secret swimming practice. Key word here being "attempt."Haru: Look, Rei is swimming freestyle.
Nagisa: That's so amazing! He really did learn all the strokes, can you guys believe it?
Gou: You're not acting surprised enough! Why can't you try to put a little more into it?
Nagisa: (shouting in Rei's direction) Wow! Holy mackerel!
Makoto: (also shouting) Yeah, how did he learn to swim like that?!
Haru: (shouting, utterly deadpan) I'm truly flabbergasted beyond words!
Gou: (unamused) You three really are hopeless, huh?
- While Makoto is discussing what the team should be focusing on, we see Haruka inching progressively closer to the pool. Without even batting an eye, Makoto grabs his arm and holds him back.
- In episode 4, Gou declares that the team needs to start eating healthier, and she decides to inspect each of their lunches. She ends up grading them based on how healthy and well-balanced they are, and they all fail: Haruka gets 43 points because his lunch is only mackerel and rice, Makoto gets 68 points because he doesn't have enough vegetables, Rei gets 63 points because he's too focused on his lunch looking beautiful rather than being well-balanced, and Nagisa gets a whopping zero points because his lunch is nothing but carbs and sugar.
- Bonus points for Rei reacting to his "grade" with a Big "NO!" in English.
- Nagisa is the only one who likes the protein-powder food that Gou makes, and asks her what other flavors it comes in. When she mentions strawberry flavor, Makoto wails, "Please, no!"
- In episode 8, Gou gets Nagisa a box of strawberry-flavor powder and he casually piles it onto his food, while Makoto and Rei look increasingly disgusted in the background.
- Momo's...energetic attempts to flirt with Gou in the swimsuit store. The flashy swimsuits he wants to get are pretty funny too.
- Speaking of Momo, there's every time Rin gets fed up with him and drags him off in a headlock.
- Nagisa's way of eating Iwatobi Cream Bread, a cream-filled loaf of bread shaped like Iwatobi-chan: Rip off its head and then suck out the jam and marmalade from inside.
- Every time Momo and Rin interact. Rin has taken so many levels in kindness that he reacts to Momo with more disbelief than anything else. Except when Gou is being pestered he's utterly deadpan and a great Foil.
- Makoto discovering Nagisa in Haru's bathtub. Nagisa rises out of the tub like something out of The Ring, and Makoto lets out a terrified screech to rival Rei's signature screams.
- Nagisa's feats of misdirection every time his friends try to get him to 'fess up why he's running away from home. He bribes Haru with canned mackerel, successfully flatters "Negotiator Rei's" ego enough to divert him from the actual subject, but funniest of all, he convinces Makoto that his parents plan to exile him to Pangaea. Either Nagisa's a really slick talker, or Makoto's really Book Dumb.
- The preview at the end of episode 7 features Nagisa and Rei discussing how the phrase "kiss me" would be translated into Japanese. Rin pops up and corrects their pronunciation of the phrase, which inevitably leads to Rei and Rin trying to say "perfect body" again.
- One of the very few lighthearted moments in Episode 9 - Nagisa starts calling Sousuke "Sou-chan." This prompts Rei to ask why he's calling him that, leading to them having a little background discussion on whether he should or not while Makoto's trying to talk to Amakata.
- Episode 11, where Momotarou asks Rin to give Gou a present for him during summer break: a large stag beetle that he named "Pyunsuke" and raised himself.
Forbidden All-Hard! (Eternal Summer OVA)
- Virtually everything from this particular episode makes it stand out as being the most comedy-driven of the entire series.
- It's revealed here that the tradition of the Samezuka swim team is to open their annual maid café during the the school's festival. This also means almost all of the swimmers, save for the seniors, have to dress in drag. Aiichirou gleefully embraces it, while Momotarou's completely frustrated and embarrassed having to wear the outfit, and Rin outright forces Haruka and the others not to come since that'll give them the hint that he had to do the same the previous year.
- Nagisa playfully lifts Momo's dress, awkwardly exposing his speedo, which he only wears because he's not about to wear panties. Rei freaks out, shouting "It's not beautiful".
- Haruka's nervous reaction to the Saba games. The joke here is that saba (when used in katakana) is a short form of the English word "survival", but the term, when used normally, also means mackerel, Haru's Trademark Favorite Food. This was Lost in Translation in the English dub.
- Aiichirou begins panicking and proceeds to aimlessly shoot his teammates Rin and Rei, who begin avoiding with very exaggerated and fast-paced movement and poses.
- "Negotiator Rei" returns in an attempt to bribe Momotarou into surrendering by offering pictures of Gou. Ai believes that Momo would never fall for it and is in great disbelief when he is proven wrong.
- Kisumi being used as a human shield by Sousuke, who was nearly trapped by Makoto. The next scene has Rin getting spooked by Kisumi's sudden appearance and ends with Haru shooting at Kisumi, presumably on purpose.
- Rei devises a booby trap that will shoot multiple squirt guns at one of his opponents if the get caught in a very thin line. Sousuke easily sees through his plan and manages to nearly trap Rei in it. Rei, who then proceeds to calculate Sousuke's potential movements and prepares to strike only the find the Sousuke's disappeared.
- Momotarou finally meets up with Gou, who for once actually remembers his name which drives him to Inelegant Blubbering of joy. Aiichirou sneaks up on him and tries to shoot him, only to miss and hit Gou. Momo, who's still shaken up from earlier, gets shot by Ai and falls to the ground while smiling.
- Immediately following is Sousuke's Tranquil Fury towards Ai after the latter accidently shoots Gou. Ai gets hit and lies on the ground with Momo.
- Quite possibly the highlight of the episode is Rei's over the top "death" scene and Rin's reaction to it.
- The serious standoff between Haruka and Makoto is cut short by Makoto getting abruptly shot by Nagisa, whos in cute screwball mode. Immediately afterwards, Nagisa gets caught in Reis trap from earlier and loudly bawls over it in an exaggerated Puni Plush style. Rei declares the success of his plan, only for Ai and Momo to point out that there was no way he knew that would happen.
- Nagisa nearly telling a secret about Haru and Makoto, only for the two to keep him from revealing anything. It arguably comes across as a Ship Tease.
High Speed! Free! Starting Days
- Most of the interactions between Asahi and Kisumi.
- When Haruka, Makoto, Asahi, and Ikuya training speed game with Nao. When Haru failed to take the bottle cap, Nao says to Haru "I'm not too shabby, am I?". Haru frustrated and embarrassed look away. Asahi laugh and call Haru the slow one of all them. Asahi says that he's going to win for sure, end up losing to Nao. That same goes to Ikuya and Makoto. Asahi immediately call Nao a monster during how fast he can beat them. (Also their faces when they failed to get the bottle cap before Nao. Mostly Asahi)Asahi: You MonsterNao: Hmm? (smiling at Asahi)Asahi: (Looks away) I didn't say anything
Free! Take Your Marks
- Makoto becoming terrified when Kisumi hints that the third apartment that he shows Makoto and Haru is apparently haunted.
- The Matsuoka family cat, Steve, giving Rin the cold shoulder after he attempts to pet him. This is a nod to a drama CD that reveals that cats hate him despite being a Kindhearted Cat Lover deep down.
- The Iwatobi Swim Club begins to record the scenes for its welcoming movie. Makoto's acting is weak, for a lack of a better term, causing him to break down crying when he fails to remember his dialogue properly. How does Haruka comfort him? By telling him to think about mackerel, that's what helps Haru when he's nervous. Makoto then stops and questions how's that suppose to help.
- The final segment has Rin believing that Gou and Momotarou are actually dating when, in reality, they along with Rei, Nagisa and Aiichirou were planning a surprise party for his departure to Australia. Momo finds out that Rin has a rare Lucky Meal toy, which he acquired a few segments back and challenges Rin for it, with Rin thinking he wants to ask for Gou's hand in marriage. The rest of the team, as well as Seijuurou, get caught up in the misconception, which forces Seijuurou to team up with Momo, only for Aiichirou to get wind of it and report it to Rin, who just happened to be with Nagisa and Rei at the time. Rin realizes he could lose to them and would not be able to go back to Australia with a clear conscience. Panicking, Nagisa calls Makoto to have Haru team up with Rin in his match, but Makoto didn't get the message clearly and believes that Rin just wants a match with Haru and will give up swimming if he doesn't win. With Haru frustrated and Makoto and Gou panicking, Haru has to talk things out with Rin which eventually reveals the truth.Rin: Seriously!? You were planning a surprise party!?
- Rin's touched reaction to the surprise party gets immediately interrupted with these exchanges.Sousuke: It's cool if you need to cry.Haruka: If you stay in the pool no one will ever notice your tears.
Free! - Dive to the Future (Season 3)
- Just as he was the comic relief in Starting Days, Asahi proves that he can still be just as much of a comical Butt-Monkey as he was before, despite maturing.
- The entirety of the car ride during the opening of episode 5.
Free! Road to the World - The Dream
- Rei forgets to eat breakfast so instead eats too much of the snacks that Amakata brings in. However, the snacks somehow have liquor in them which turns him into a brutally honest drunk. He then proceeds to give out some strong words of advice to the newcomers, ending with a declaration of how much he loves them all and the three becoming embarrassed.
- The next day, the team takes his advice and become more motivated than ever while he's clueless to what's happened. All it takes is for Nagisa to show him the photos that he took, and Rei becomes confused, flustered, and embarrassed himself.
- Rin finally meets Ikuya and the two instantly want to compete with each other to determine who will compete with Haru. Cue the next scene where the two, as well as Asahi and Hiyori are all in a dark arcade competing with each other in a Pole Position / Mario Kart hybrid known as Battle Drive. Kisumi is notably baffled by the situation.
- Asahi's repeated attempts to figure out where he's heard the name Matsuoka before.
- The mere fact that they instantly want to compete with each other when they've barely met each other even confused Asahi.
- A green Nike Cheyenne Running Backpack (looking suspiciously similar to Rei's own◊), went on sale in Amazon. So naturally "Rei" himself reviewed it, and his "review" was deemed the most helpful of all the customer reviews.
- This image◊ claiming that Rei is Milhouse All Grown Up.
- For a third meme about Rei, this edit puts his sillier Image Song "Coming Soooon!" to weird panels/screencaps of Noriaki Kakyoin, up to and including his gory death.