"I want my journey to be full of laughter."
open/close all folders
- The noise Tidus makes when he surfaces in the middle of an Auroch practice session and gets smacked in the noggin by one of their mistimed blitzballs.
- After meeting Yuna, Tidus' voiceover notes his immediate surprise, as he thought summoners were all old geezers.
- Tidus clowning around on the S.S. Liki with the binoculars; specifically when he first grabs them and all the player sees are the belts on Lulu's skirt. Pan upwards to her chest and Lulu glowers. A moment both funny and absolutely adorable is Yuna running to make sure she's still being seen in the binoculars.
- Try talking to the binoculars guy after that. He runs from Tidus in fear!
- And it's pronounced the "S.S. Leaky."
- Should Tidus succeed in learning the Jecht Shot, he starts to gloat to himself... and gets taken by surprise by the rest of the gawking Aurochs and Wakka who have crowded around him.
- The party arrives in Luca, where the color commentators are talking up how great the Luca Goers are, and going on about what an awful, breathing statistical impossibility the Besaid Aurochs are. The Aurochs just take it in stride, as they are used to it, and then Tidus grabs a megaphone and starts trash-talking the Goers, then raises his head and howls laughing. Wakka then asks just what the hell he thinks he's doing, but the other players note that they really stood out, and even got on the sphere footage.
- The infamous laughing scene is funny now matter how to slice it, especially Yuna's reaction:Yuna: (mortified) You... probably shouldn't laugh anymore.
- The scene in Seymour's mansion, when Tidus tries to sniff Auron after Seymour says that Auron has "the scent of the Farplane" around him. Auron shoves him aside in annoyance.
- Depending on your affinity with the other guardians, there's a scene in Guadosalam where Tidus discusses the idea of Yuna getting married. If it's Lulu, then you have the option to say, "You're more my type, Lulu." Her response?Lulu: Interesting. I suppose I could add you to my list. I wish you good luck, little boy. You're going to need it.
- Where derp meets Shout-Out:Tidus: They say Seymour went to Macarena Temple.
Wakka: Macalania Temple.
- Doubly-funny when you live in Sevilla, Spain, where the Macarena Temple is a place which really exists (the Holy Basilica of Our Lady Of Hope Macarena, to be precise).
- Examining Jyscal's sphere, Yuna states, "The sphere is his will. It says 'take care of my son'." To this, Tidus replies "His son. Seymour? Well, I know one way to take care of him."
- Tidus attempting to eavesdrop on Yuna's motel room (and shoving the door open by accident) provides a very awkward moment between the two. After she leaves, Tidus then gets snuck up on by Wakka, who puts him in a headlock and berates him for disturbing Yuna.
- When Yuna flees from Seymour at the altar, she tells the party to make their own escape. Everyone obeys her order... except for Tidus, whom Kimahri has to hold back from getting his hands on Seymour. The cutscene doesn't actually show it, but it's easy to picture Tidus being Dragged by the Collar.
- Tidus and Rikku talk on Mt. Gagazet about what to do next. Rikku jokingly tells Tidus he sounds like a leader. Tidus responds, "Star of the Zanarkand Abes. Didn't anybody tell ya?", to which Rikku gives a magnificent mock bow.
- The Zanarkand Dome, where Yunalesca awaits, the Holy of Holies for the Church of Yevon, is the ruins of a blitzball stadium. Also makes Yuna's and Tidus' conversation about the importance of blitzball Fridge Brilliance and Hilarious in Hindsight.Tidus: Whoa, talk about pressure!
Yuna: Haha, that's right!
- When the party is reunited in the Bikanel desert:Rikku: Umm... There's something I wanna tell you guys, but promise you won't say anything.
Wakka: (camera zooms hilariously on his scowling face) HM?!
Rikku: No glaring, either!
- If you talk to Wakka after seeing the footage of Yuna about to marry Seymour.Wakka: I'm glad Yuna's okay and all, but what's with those fancy clothes?
Lulu: It's called a wedding dress.
- Before fighting Evrae on top of Cid's airship, you can shop for weapons from Rin. After you've bought everything you need, this exchange happens: (Made funnier by Wakka's ongoing feud with the Al Bhed.)
- After you rescue Yuna from the Al Bhed in Luca, Lulu tells the story of Yuna's parentage, then asks Tidus not to tell Wakka (due to his predjudice against the Al Bhed). Tidus then realizes they need to let Wakka, who's still playing a delaying action against the Al Bhed Psyches, know that they've rescued Yuna, but Lulu is a bit slow on the uptake.Tidus: Whoa! I've gotta tell Wakka!
Lulu: I thought I told you not to tell Wakka!
Yuna: The game!
Lulu: Oh! (sends up a magical flare)
- When talking to Lulu in Guadosalam, Tidus makes the mistake of bringing up Chappu.Tidus: Hey, aren't you being just a little unfair?Lulu: Excuse me?Tidus: I know I could never take Chappus place. Youre the one who told Wakka that, right, Lulu? And I dont think Wakka would ever try to take Chappus plLulu: (voice teeming with venom as Tidus frantically shakes his head) You don't want to finish that sentance.
- Remember the cutscene where the party cable-surfs from an airship to crash Yuna's shotgun wedding to Seymour? Have you ever wondered where Lulu was during this? Oh, make no mistake: she's there alright. If you look very closely, she's being carried by Kimahri.
- Kimahri talking for the first time, after spending a good portion of the beginning of the game being silent. The look on Tidus' face is priceless, as his expression clearly says, Holy shit did he just talk!?
- Tidus tries to coax a grin out of the granite-faced Ronso, in what seems like a shout-out to T2.
- Kimahri telling Tidus in no uncertain terms to hold still until Yuna gets her new aeon at Djose Temple.Kimahri: Pick spot. Shut up. Wait.
- When the player finds Kimahri in the desert, he keeps trying and failing to walk up a steep sand dune.
- After Tidus' tearful commentary about the fate of summoners, we get this deadpan line from Kimahri: "...It's quiet. Kimahri goes now." It's meant to be a serious moment, but it sounds like Kimahri's discomforted by all this touchy-feely stuff and can't deal with awkward silence.
- If Kimahri uses his Self-Destruct Ronso Rage to end the battle against Biran and Yenke, the remaining Ronso will declare that Kimahri wins... but since Kimahri is the only party member present for this battle, the game will declare a Game Over anyway.
- Tidus, Yuna and Kimahri go to downtown Luca in search of Auron who's supposed to be in a café. The establishment which they enter to progress the plot is, in Spiran script, actually a bar, not a café (the latter is another place which they apparently missed).
- After the party is informed about the Chocobo Eater on the Mi'ihen Highroad:Tidus: A large fiend... Let's get 'im!
Tidus: It's the right thing to do!
Tidus: What'd I say now?
Auron: Jecht said that a lot, too. And every time he did, it meant trouble for Braska and me.
- The whole cast good-naturedly poking fun at Yuna when she wakes up with bed-head. The entire scene is hilarious, but Auron really takes the cake. This line is so good, in fact, that there's a Call-Back to it in X-2, as one of the two lines spoken by Auron in Shinra's character database.Auron: Once Lady Yuna fixes her hair, we leave.
- The party runs into Dona again at Djose. She lobs insults at Yuna and her many guardians, referring to them as "riff-raff", as her beefcake guardian looks on grimly. And then... he speaks. "You are Auron, no? Can I shake your hand? You're the reason I became a guardian!" Dona is left completely wrong-footed. Wakka and Lulu then mock her for inadvertently insulting such a famous figure.Barthello: (gushing) I met Sir Auron! THE Sir Auron!
Dona: (to Barthello) Touch me with that hand and I'll remove it!
- If you opt to ride with Auron to Macalania Temple, Tidus comments how he's "no fun to ride with at all", which results in an exasperated "What?" from Auron. Auron then tells Tidus not to do anything rash and complicate things, only to then go back on that advice and tell Tidus to make mistakes and make the most of his youth. The end result is a very confused Tidus frustratedly asking, "so which is it?"
- After Seymour is killed in Macalania Temple, the party is cornered by his entourage. The whole party charges forward, and an animation glitch happens: Auron's shoulder collides with a Guado guard, who is unphased by the impact for several frames before suddenly being slammed to the ground.
- One of Auron's Overdrives shows him walloping an enemy into the clouds. While the sheer sight of this is funny on its own, it gets better when you use it on a big enemy, like a Sandworm.
- This exchange between Kinoc and Auron in prison:Kinoc: Really, now, what person would execute a dear friend?
Auron: You would.
- Rikku's freak-out in the Thunder Plains, followed by the party coming across an inn and Rikku begging to stay there. The way everyone except Tidus keeps walking away from her as you talk to her is too funny.
- Alternatively, you can choose to walk away from her as well, thus making Tidus join the party in abandoning Rikku.
- Made even funnier by how the scene ends with the rest of the party finally giving up and staying at the inn.Auron: Fine, we rest. She's worse than the storm.
- There's also Rikku yelling at the storm to be quiet when she's trying to have a heart-to-heart with Yuna.
RIDE ZE SHOOPUFF?
- Auron's story about Jecht meeting his first shoopuf. He was shitfaced and thought it was a fiend, so he attacked it. Auron and Braska had to surrender all the money they had to cover the damages, and Jecht never touched a drop of alcohol again. (Also a CMOH for Tidus, who always wished his father would stop drinking.)
- Kimahri also has a shoopuf story: When Yuna was little she fell in the water near one, and it scooped her up with its nose. She liked it so much that she gleefully jumped into the water three more times. Seems like Yuna's death drive was apparent even then! A beleaguered Kimahri then adds, "Kimahri worried." Turns into a CMOH when he goes on to say he was pleased in the end that she had fun.
- There's also this:
- The famous line, "I'm gonna be a blitzball when I grow up!" Even funnier when you learn that it wasn't a translation error. That's how the line was originally written in Japanese! The Japanese was eventually corrected in the HD Remaster version, but the translators decided to leave it in the original form for the English HD Remaster release. Guess there is such a thing as being too faithful a translation.
- "Stay away from the summonerrrr!" And the old bat says this no matter how far away you are from Yuna — basically, as long as you try and move in any direction except the one allowed.
- One of the conditions of defeating the Chocobo Eater is knocking it off the cliff, during which it does its best Wile E. Coyote impression before it dies.
- An unintentional moment caused by an animation error on Seymour during the wedding scene, while Mika is blackmailing Yuna (at around 4:28).
- Right before the battle with Evrae Altana, there's a blue chest you can interact with, and it inexplicably turns out to be a shop. One way to interpret this is that it's a Spiran vending machine.
- Evrae Altana is potentially the fastest boss to die: Toss two Phoenix Downs and this screen-filling Dracolich is down for the count. Even funnier, this is actually the preferred method (as opposed to going through a series of locked rooms) to defeat it, since you'll miss a few one-time items otherwise.
- Beating the Bonus Boss Dark Ifrit in the PAL/HD version. You're treated to a cutscene in which the asshole who summoned it tries to escape, then runs headlong into a quicksand monster and is eaten.Summoner: G'WOH!! (crunching noises)
Auron: Hmph! Let's go.
- Although the Dark Valefor one is pretty funny, too. (Evil Bald Summoner Guy gets pwned by a little girl, and then runs away from the angry villagers).
- When Tidus and Auron are out at the same time.Tidus: (to Auron) Don't break any bones, old man!
- When Lulu uses Bio for the first time. Lulu: This might help your complexion.
- Facing a Giant Worm with Wakka in the party.Wakka: Where's de early bird when you need 'im?
- Encountering a Behemoth with Wakka in the Calm Lands. (This becomes Hilarious in Hindsight; Behemoth steaks are rare loot in Final Fantasy XII.)Wakka: How many steaks you think we can get outta this?
- When Yuna and Lulu are both out at once.Yuna: (bad Wakka impression) A lotta fiends here, ya?
Lulu: (annoyed) Don't talk like that.
- If you let Yuna use her melee attack.Lulu: Why don't you leave the physical fighting to us?
- Likewise, after Lulu uses her physical attack for the first time:Lulu: Just thought I'd give it a try.
- Likewise, after Lulu uses her physical attack for the first time:
- When Yuna, Tidus, and Lulu are all out at once.Tidus: Yuna! Aeon!
Lulu: Just who do you think you are?!
- After Tidus is made a guardian.Tidus: I'm a guardian now, so watch out!
- After Wakka calls Tidus a newbie.Tidus: Newbie here!
Wakka: (sheepish) So-rry...
- Tidus sees a Tonberry for the first time.Tidus: Uh... I've got a bad feeling about this...
- Wakka sees Tidus get KO'd and revived.Wakka: This is new for you, ya?
Tidus: What do you think?
- If you don't rent a chocobo on the Mi'hen Highroad.
- When Lulu and Wakka are both on the field, on the Mi'ihen Highroad, if you are choosing to walk instead of riding a chocobo:Wakka: Sure wish we had a chocobo...
Lulu: Walk, or I'll feed you to one.
- Tidus' many blustery quotes if you use Flee to get out of battles:Tidus: Uhh, I'll be right back! / Live and let live! / I won't go so easy on you next time!
- Also: If you use Flee, the team will dart off in random directions in a panic.
- Tidus uses Slice and Dice.Tidus: Eeny, meeny, miney, moe!
- Wakka and Lulu are in the party.Wakka: Lu, I'll show you what I can do!
Lulu: Go ahead...
- Tidus and Wakka try to out-jock each other.Wakka: My fastball done broke da mouth!
Tidus: I can top that.
- Lulu casts Blizzara.Lulu: Let me break the ice.
- Facing down some gigantic fiend.Auron: I foresee no difficulty.
- Rikku on the Thunder Plains.Rikku: Please don't make it rumble...
- Rikku sees a Demonolith.Rikku: Who makes these things?
- Rikku meets Neslug in the Monster Arena.Rikku: Let's go, escargot!
- Rikku meets Neslug in the Monster Arena.
- After meeting up with Auron in Via Purifico.Auron: I hate this place.
- This gets a great Call-Back from Paine in the sequel whenever you dress her up as a Songstress: "I hate this dressphere."
- Fighting a Cactuar.Tidus: Don't you run, Needles!
- Early in the game if you have Tidus and Lulu in your lineup, Tidus will celebrate winning a battle excitedly, and Lulu will snark, "You're a modest one."
- Early in the game, the player is given a brief tutorial on elemental magic when a water Flan is encountered. Lulu comes in, and while the game requires you to have her use black magic, it doesn't control what type you use. So there's fun to be had with Lulu's "lessons" if you choose anything other than Thunder.Lulu: (casting Fire or Ice) That was a bad example. This is a water fiend, so it's weak against thunder.
Wakka: Enough with the lessons, Lu. Let's get going, ya?
- When encountering a Dark Flan for the first time with Rikku in the party.Rikku: Wow! Say, is that edible?
- When your last character gets KO'd, they will say something with their dying breath. While most of these are suitably tragic, if you die on Besaid, Lulu comments on how you didn't even make it off the island. Auron sometimes quips "What a mess," or "Unbelievable," as if he's watching someone else instead. If you die in the Thunder Plains, Rikku blames the lightning.
"HA HA HA HA HA!"