Per wiki policy, Spoilers Off applies here and all spoilers are unmarked. You Have Been Warned.
open/close all folders
- Gundham Tanaka. Looks, sounds, and speaks like an Evil Overlord. His talent? Animal breeding, his current pets being four cute hamsters, which he calls the Four Dark Devas of Destruction!
- His quotes in both the Japanese and English versions are equally hammy, hilarious, and epic.Gundam: BURN IN THE FIRES OF PANDEMONIUM!
- His quotes in both the Japanese and English versions are equally hammy, hilarious, and epic.
- A number of the characters have rather ridiculous expressions or faces that betray their appearances.
- Fuyuhiko, a baby-faced, small, rosy-cheeked Ultimate Yakuza!
- Chiaki's sleepy face, as well as her puff-cheeked "offended" face.
- Ibuki Mioda's Pinocchio-like "tengu" face.
- Sonia Nevermind speaking like a formal princess, exactly as you'd expect... and then randomly throwing "hella", "tomfoolery", or "you betcha" into the mix or making references to outdated Japanese popular culture. Then she proceeds to one-up herself by cursing like a sailor in Chapter 5.Sonia: My femininity is hella boss!
- If you've got English voice acting enabled, Ibuki will occasionally yell "POINTING!" whenever she makes the appropriate gesture.
- This official crossover art with Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc and Danganronpa Zero features Jin Kirigiri playing mahjong... against two Ultimate Lucks and the Ultimate Gambler. And if you look closely at Komaeda's hand, it is the Pure Nine Gates, probably the single rarest hand possible in mahjong.
- The elephant-like stomping sound effect that always accompanies Byakuya leaving the scene.
- At the end of Fuyuhiko's introduction:Fuyuhiko: Hey, bastards... If we're all done here, how 'bout you dumbasses make like a tree and fuck off?
- The conversation that results from Fatogami's attempts at unifying the group.Fatogami: If you want me to get to the point, you better hurry up and answer my question.Akane: What do we need? We need food and sleep, obviously. Right?Nekomaru: No...you've forgotten about shitting... Which means the answers are: a good appetite, a good night's sleep, and a good shit!!!Fatogami: ...Does anyone have a real answer?
- Byakuya nobly takes it upon himself to test the food in the restaurant for poison... though his sample size is rather large. Then he nobly pounces on the churrasco at the party to protect them all from the skewers.
- During the trial, Nagito reveals his intentions, leading to this gem:Ibuki: Holy crap! He's *totally* the type of guy who spent his childhood killing neighborhood pets!
- Ibuki tries to figure out what happened during the blackout, only to spout off a complete non sequitur:Ibuki: What happened during the blackout? Hmmm.... Hmmmmmmm... Ah! If you cross your eyes like this, it gives you double-vision!
- Ibuki provides sound effects!Ibuki: The killer lurked under the floorboards during the party and from there..."stab stab stab!"Teruteru: Hmm, are you sure?Ibuki: You don't like "stab stab stab"...? Should it sound more fleshy like "*splat shank stab!*"?Teruteru: No, I'm not talking about your sound effects.
- One more for the count:Akane: So what's an "aspersion" anyway? Is it yummy?Hiyoko: Did you know asbestos is yummy, too? You should try some later!
- Towards the beginning of the trial, when everyone was trying to argue whether Peko has an alibi or not, all arguments ultimately shift towards what Peko was doing outside the dining hall. It's obviously her taking a shit, but she's completely embarrassed when the thing is implied... and Nekomaru outright says so anyway.Nekomaru: GAH-HAHAHAHA! Aw, there's no way she'd admit it! There's no way she'd admit she was taking a shit!Mahiru: Hey, weren't you guys taught any basic manners!? Or were you raised in a locker room!?
Nekomaru: Don't worry, the smell wasn't *that* strong! I used the bathroom right after you, so you can trust me!
- After Peko tries to shift the discussion away from her taking a shit:
Teruteru: Hey, how did it feel to do your business in the dark? Did you get... excited?Hajime: Seriously. Stop it.
- And then there's Teruteru being his usual perverted self:
- Teruteru's breakdown at the end of the trial; he devolves into completely unintelligible rural gibberish which somehow ends with him screaming "AVRIL LAVIGNE!". As the cherry on top, Monomi who has been translating for the other students dutifully parrots this last line even though everyone could hear it. To put this one in context, Avril Lavigne is a popular Canadian singer-songwriter. She has absolutely nothing to do with Teruteru's profession; her name is just dropped out of nowhere to show how crazy Teruteru has become.
Monomi: "Oh what the hell are you even saying, you stupid country hick?"
- In the P.T.A., one of the statements you have to shoot down is "PARIS HILTON!"
- In Danganronpa 3, he says "Taylor Swift" after getting punched. It may just be how he curses.
- It's also funny to see Peko near him, locked in a sprite with her mouth wide open while gesturing, which lasts for the duration of his Villainous Breakdown. Considering her tendency to be The Stoic, it seems that even Peko is rendered speechless by the culprit's breakdown.
- Teruteru's breakdown is further punctuated in the official English version by Todd Haberkorn providing a thick Cajun accent. It has to be heard to be believed.
- As he continues to break, his accent becomes so thick that it renders him The Unintelligible, forcing Monomi to translate. This line from Teruteru? Equal parts funny and sad. This line from Monomi? Hilarious.
- In the P.T.A., one of the statements you have to shoot down is "PARIS HILTON!"
- After the end of the chapter, Nagito goes on this really hokey spiel about hope after having led Teruteru and Byakuya to their deaths. Akane offers to punch him, but Hajime tells her to lay off and ignore him. Not a minute later, and...Nagito: You don't even remember your own talent...Hajime: ...Akane, go ahead and punch him.
- The tradition of silly multiple-choice options continues.Hajime: Nagito's talent...? His talent was...Ultimate Lucky Student / Ultimate Unlucky Student / Ultimate Transporter / Ultimate Babyface
- If you choose the last one, several students will stare with a blank expression before Fuyuhiko yells "Why the hell are you looking at me!? Do you wanna sleep with the motherfucking fishes!?"
- Akane crying over food at the party.
- In the English version, when Peko is suspected of killing Byakuya, Ibuki suggests a motive.Ibuki: Was this island not big enough for two glasses-wearers?
- Midway through the trial, Monokuma offers an extremely large sum of money ($10 billion in the official translation) if you guess the killer, and threatens to delete your save game if you fail. He then asks if you're willing to accept the challenge, and both buttons lead to the same response telling you he was just kidding.
- When discussing why Byakuya dove under the table, Akane makes a hilariously inaccurate guess.Akane: Obviously he was hidin' so he could surprise us. That dude was always a big jokester.Kazuichi: The hell he was! You seriously couldn't tell what kinda person he was!?
- During the party, we get this gem from Nekomaru:Nekomaru: Shitting my pants would totally shame me as a MAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!
- Mikan's tripping. She trips first at the restaurant◊ which somehow has her ankles getting tied up by a rogue cable (complete with Twogami expressing bafflement at what caused her to trip like that), and the second time is at the party◊, which results in an even more promiscious pose, which the game helpfully punctuates with the Unsound Effect of Spread Eagle. (The images included can be considered NSFW).Mikan: I-I'm sorry! I tripped again!
Hajime: S-seriously...? How do you trip and land like *that*!?
Hiyoko: Yaaaay! An erotic pose! That's obviously a fanservice moment!
Mikan: Eek... Nooooo... P-please don't! Please don't look at me!
Ibuki: Eeeeeeee-hehehehe! I can't take this at all...!
Ibuki: Mahiru! It's time to snatch some shots!
Mahiru: Th-there's no way I can do that!
- Even better? When gathering evidence during the investigation phase, Mikan's pose after falling is made a Truth Bullet! And it isn't a Red Herring! Context
- Ibuki's response to Hiyoko spontaneously hugging Mahiru.Ibuki: Welcome to the world of girl love! It's slippery when wet!
- Monokuma's super-muscular transformation◊.
- Nagito monologuing at the beginning, only to be interrupted by someone shouting "SHUT UUUUUUUUUP!!" and a crashing sound. Turns out it was either Kazuichi or Nekomaru, who then proceed to tie him and lock him away. Their attempt to deny any involvement with it is abysmal.
- Kazuichi gets himself and Hajime invited to the girls' beach party hoping to see Sonia in a bikini. Cue Sonia showing up in a wetsuit.
- When Peko shows up, Ibuki seems jealous of her body and takes her bust size as a challenge.Ibuki: Time to pump these puppies full of silicon.
- When Peko shows up, Ibuki seems jealous of her body and takes her bust size as a challenge.
- Gundam, true to form, offers a line that's both magnificent and hysterical:Gundham: Monokuma...I shall listen to you spout nonsense all you want, while I puff cigar smoke at your lifeless body.
- This line from Orenronen's translation:Soda: When life gives you lemons, you make limoncello!
Hinata: Lemonade. You make lemonade.
- Nekomaru leans very hard on the fourth wall when he finds out about Twilight Syndrome.Nekomaru: S-Some of us are characters in a video game!?
- During the trial, when they're discussing who's who in Twilight Syndrome.Mikan: Wh-Why am I in a video game? Th-That's an infringement of my right to privacy!
Hiyoko: Ha! A nasty, trashy, pigshit like you doesn't have any privacy rights!
Chiaki: Ah... "A nasty, trashy, pigshit"... I feel like I heard that in the game too.
Hajime: Girl B was short and foulmouthed... She's probably Hiyoko.
Hiyoko: Short and foulmouthed...? That's like the complete opposite of me!
- During the same part, when Girl C's identity is discussed to be Ibuki:Ibuki: Girl C? Then I'll "C" you next Tuesday!
Hajime: That's easy... Ibuki Mioda. She's C-koIbuki: Hey! Ibuki is no sicko! That's defamation! Ibuki will sue!Chiaki: .....
- Sadly Lost in Translation is:
- After one of Nagito's... outbursts:Akane: We can just lightly punch him to death later.
- When Hiyoko tries to deny that she was at the beach house, she says "I was squishing Mr. Ants all day!" and text pops up that says, "I feel sorry for Mr. Ants!"
- Peko's "Sparkling Justice" speech, complete with fancy emoticons! It wouldn't be practical to transcribe it in its entirety here, though...
- Just as funny is Kazuichi's equally over-the-top reaction to it.Kazuichi: Wh-wh-wh-wh-wh-wha... WHAT THE FUUUUUUUUUUCK?!
- Just as funny is Kazuichi's equally over-the-top reaction to it.
- There's something funny about Fuyuhiko repeatedly calling Hiyoko "that little bitch" when pushing for her guilt, particularly since he's probably saying what the player is thinking.
- The bonus Big-Lipped Alligator Moment in which Hajime descends into a Man's Nut-induced frenzy that ends with him spying on Mahiru and Hiyoko in the bath.Hajime: ...Wait, huh? Was my...characterization always this way?
- One that's fairly easy to miss: When Monokuma calls the students over to Jabberwock Park to reveal Twilight Syndrome Murder Mystery, he promises to treat the first person who arrives to curry. Unsurprisingly, Akane rushes over there before anyone else. If you choose to spend the next Free Time session with her, she'll be eating it. Apparently it was made from live frogs. She doesn't seem to mind, and considers going for seconds, which Hajime can eat with her.
- At one point, Hiyoko gets angry and calls Mikan "pig barf" as an insult. Mikan responds by apologizing for being pig barf.
- As Hajime and Kazuichi learn that they're not allowed to change in the beach house, Monokuma suddenly appears, armed like Rambo with an M60 machine gun and belts of ammo draped over his shoulders, practically begging to shoot anyone who violates the rules.Monokuma: Rule breakers will be shot to death... that's just common sense!Kazuichi: It's "common sense" WHERE!? It's not like we're under a military leadership!
- There's also this exchange:
- Nekomaru saying, from personal experience, that a cut-up wetsuit would clog the toilet in the largest possible font, while various people comment on his preoccupation with toilets.Hiyoko: What did they do with the bloody wetsuit?
Ibuki: (text spinning off the screen) They cut it up and *FLUSH!*
Nekomaru: As someone who flushes their shit every morning I can declare...
White noise: Why do you always...
Nekomaru: (in text substantially larger than anyone else's) ...it would DEFINITELY clog the toilet!!!
White noise: ...get fired up about the bathroom?
- After the students apologize for severely criticizing Hiyoko's memorial to Mahiru and begin to understand her intent behind it, Nanami remarks to Hinata that such moments of the students seeing good in each other are what make the students so splendid...until a tardy Nagito and Tanaka barge in, threatening to destroy the memorial.Hajime: Now that those two are here...do you still think we're splendid?
- The optional event where Hiyoko, Ibuki, and Chiaki all get together to perform a combined memorial for Chapter 2's victim. Hiyoko doing her dance, Ibuki singing a song, and Chiaki playing a triangle. Only the three of them all do so at the same time.
- A moment that can catch many first time players off guard is one of the locations on the new island. Shout-Out to From Dusk Till Dawn or not, it's still a club called the Titty Typhoon. The game refers to it as a "Music Venue" but it's rather clearly supposed to be seedier than that.
- The group's general reaction to Ibuki Mioda's singing performance.Kazuichi: GYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!! I'm gonna get c-u-r-s-e-d!Gundam: S-Such an overwhelmingly baleful resonance! Even my Four Dark Devas of Destruction look less lively than usual!Sonia: I-I too...am starting to feel chills...!Mikan: With a title like "From Me to You Too", I thought it was going to be a sweet love song!Hajime: I-If I recall...the reason why Ibuki left the high school girl's band was...Chiaki: Creative Differences ...Hajime: That...must be why.Hiyoko: Yahooooo! It's awesome! That's the first time I've heard such a famous song!
Ibuki: Grab a partner and slow dance to..."I Squeezed Out the Baby But I Have No Idea Who the Father Is."
- The best part is Kazuichi's face specifically (since he's more shocked now than his expression of seeing his friends being executed/murdered) and/or the fact that Hiyoko is the only one who enjoys it.
- There's also the next part of Ibuki's performance:
- What's more hilarious is even Nagito (who, as you may recall, is not usually of the soundest mind) sounds like he's going to drop dead once he hears Ibuki's going to sing another song.
- Later, once Nagito is hospitalized with the Despair Disease, he starts babbling about twin Ibukis and, bizarrely enough, The Veronicas.Hajime: Hmmm...after seeing this, it might've been better if he stayed quiet for just a little bit longer.
- Speaking of the hospital, Mikan falls asleep in Hajime's bed (complete with CG of Mikan clinging to Hajime...and Hajime's Idiot Hair going perfectly straight). Fuyuhiko later catches them in bed together. Hajime insists it's not what it looks like.Hajime: That doesn't mean you can climb on top of me!Hajime: ...That's seriously *not* what I'm talking about!...Fuyuhiko: W-Were you guys sleeping together? Y-You dirty rotten bastard! You guys are fuckin' high school students!...Fuyuhiko: Hajime, now's not the time for you to be pitching a tent!
- Another example of Orenronen's Deadpan Snarker Hajime shows up when Kazuichi speculates on Akane and Nekomaru's "illicit relationship":Hinata: An illicit relationship? What are you, forty?
- The entirety of the "Wizard of Monomi" movie, which is Stylistic Suck in its finest form. From the film being shot in "2.5 D" (to say nothing of the very crude animation style), to the Monokuma in the film being an Author Avatar Jerk Sue who cons old people and kills various The Wizard of Oz characters with Monomi's likeness, to a vague description of how he killed the "Wizard" (Monomi again), Hajime is rendered speechless at the end, as Monokuma fishes for compliments.Hajime: I'm too disgusted to even let out a sigh right now... That's all I can say to describe this situation...
- Earlier, Nagito was so utterly disgusted after being required to see the movie that he wished he'd chosen like Hajime and bought an obscenely expensive souvenir to get out of watching. He changes his mind after seeing the souvenir — a super-cheap sticker — and looks absolutely horrified that Hajime paid so much for it. Keep in mind that Hajime didn't actually pay anything but an IOU, since he didn't have any money on the island. Hilarious in Hindsight considering that with his large inheritance and lottery winnings, Nagito likely could have legitimately shelled out that obscene amount.
- In the middle of the trial, Akane complains about how all of the killers are getting their supplies from the same place:Akane: Again with the supermarket... That place is a hot spot for criminal goods.
- The natural result of Ibuki getting a Despair Disease that causes her to believe everything she's told, while Nagito gets a disease that causes him to constantly lie.Nagito: Be careful Ibuki! Hajime's dangerous. He wants to kill you and eat you.Hajime: Wh-What are you saying!?Ibuki: Mr. Hajime! I am not tasty! Please do not eat me!Hajime: He's obviously lying!Ibuki: I see! So it was a lie!Ibuki: I see! So it is not a lie! It may be necessary for me to beg for my life after all!
- Ibuki, while suffering from the Despair Disease, when she's asked if she can walk.Ibuki: Allow me to confirm! I just have to alternate the movements of my left and right leg, correct!?
- Even if Akane is a Big Eater, she apparently isn't a Paste Eater, as she actually expresses amazement at Chiaki tasting the glue.
- Akane gets called out for having an empty head. She has this to say:Akane: Listen up! The emptier your head, the more dreams you can stuff inside it, y'know!
Beat with silence, with Hajime showing a disturbed smile look
- When the group is discussing whether Ibuki's "suicide" video was filmed at the music venue, in the conference room or somewhere else, Akane remarks, "Hajime, you're pretty stupid!" Several others chime in with white noise agreeing or disagreeing with the suggestion, as well as pointing out that Akane is not one to talk, and "you're pretty stupid" is even a weak point that you can try to disprove.
- Gundham gets into a Rebuttal Showdown with Hajime about the order of death of Ibuki and Hiyoko, and at one point shouts, "However, you cannot step on a pillar with your feet!" as if this was some great pearl of wisdom that Hajime had overlooked.
- If you don't find it to be brain-fuckingly freaky, then you'll probably view Mikan's execution as this. The others were outwardly gruesome, but this one is just so out there that you may find yourself too boggled to be scared of it.
- During a Nonstop Debate to determine whether Ibuki was standing or not when Hiyoko was killed, Kazuichi makes a suggestion* which prompts an immediate plethora of white noise.Kazuichi: Maybe her feet were on the floor but she was, like, sitting or something? So instead, thered be a mark on her ass!Thats not possible.I believe that is not possible.Thats impossible!
- During the debate where the characters try to figure out Hiyoko's reason for going to the music venue, the white noise acts out their suggestions:Akane: Maybe she got abducted by the killer!(in the white noise, the word "Killer" written vertically is rushing across the screen, along with the word "Hiyoko")White noise: Hey, just stay put! > Killer / Hiyoko < Waaaah!
- Chiaki's reaction to the amusement park.Chiaki: I feel like this amusement park is...missing something.
Hajime: That's not the problem here.
Chiaki: I mean, it's supposed to be an amusement park but there isn't even an arcade!
Hajime: ... When you go to amusement parks with your friends, do you just ditch them to go play video games?
Chiaki: No...that's rude. I make sure to choose competitive puzzle games or shooting games that we can all play together. ... Well, if I had any friends, that is.
- The roller coaster ride. Kazuichi pretty much has to be forced onto the coaster by the rest of the group, and his and Gundam's expressions during the ride are priceless.
- Sonia's reaction to Mechamaru.
- Kazuichi's reaction is pretty hilarious as well. He's a little too enthusiastic when he asks Nakomaru if he could take him apart so he could study him. And both times when Nekomaru claims he has a new ability, Kazuichi's first question is "Is it flying?"
- Mechmaru's ability to create beverages from his eyes. And his enthusiasm in offering Hajime a drink.
- Similarly, his sorrow at his inability to poop, manifested largely in staring forlornly at the men's room.
- Gundam calling Sonia a virgin, and Sonia revealing she isn't. And the fact that she's only disappointed because it means she can't go to an amusement park in Hell with Gundam.
- Better yet, the context is that Gundam requires the blood of a virgin for a satanic ritual. Virgin's blood can both refer to the blood of someone who has never had sex or the blood of someone whose blood has never been used in a satanic ritual before. Sonia simply says that her blood would not meet the requirements.
- When deciding which house to stay in, Chiaki suggests they split the houses boys and girls. Gundham then says this:Gundham: Then ladies first...now then, kittens, choose which house you would like!
- Nekomaru then "helpfully" chimes in, saying that "Strawberry men are known for their passion!" when the girls pick the Grape House.
- The boys decide to play rock-paper-scissors to decide who gets what room. Rather predictably, Nagito wins... and Hajime comes last. He came sixth, and there are only five rooms. Until the girls take pity on him and let him stay in their dorm, he's faced with the prospect of having to sleep in the lounge.
- Sonia, who hasn't eaten due to Monokuma's sick game of locking them in a tower without food unless someone is murdered starts seeing her friends' faces as cake and even asks, as politely as always, if she could eat a part of them.Sonia: My goodness, Hajime...when did your face become Mont Blanc all of a sudden? Um...just the corner is fine, so...may I take a bite out of you?
Chiaki: You'd get a stomachache.
Sonia: Oh my, now there's an adorable shortcake.
Chiaki: I'm not a shortcake... I'm Chiaki.
Sonia: Oh my, Hajime...Upon closer inspection, your face looks like a Sachertorte! Might I trouble you for a bite near the center? I shall repay the favor later!
Hajime: Sonia, get a grip on yourself....
- The gang splits up several times to explore the new island; each time, Soda declares that he'll be going with Sonia, only for someone else to inform him that she already left with Gundam.
- "What am I doing? ...Playing Russian Roulette, obviously."
- For context, this is a case of Refuge in Audacity as Nagito decides to play Russian Roulette with only one bullet removed. Later when it's confirmed that Russian Roulette is only played with one bullet in the gun he reacts to it as if he honestly thought five bullets was how it was played.
- At the start of the trial, Soda is led to believe that Hajime, Sonia, and Chiaki were up to...unsavory things prior to finding Nekomaru. Sonia shoots him down in her own way:Sonia: Imbecile! I am not some woman with flexible legs!
- After Soda predictably backpedals, Akane chimes in:
- Also the very first conversation of the trial was Akane solemnly swearing that she will find the killer and avenge Nekomaru... And totally because she wants the rabbit curry that Monokuma said he'd treat the survivors to post-trial, while drooling even harder than usual.
- At one point during the class trial, Gundam starts an argument to refute an earlier conclusion (as only Gundam could) and Sonia enthusiastically helps him out. One of the white noises flying by as they go back and forth:When did they become a comedy duo?
- Another hilarious bit of white noise following a line from Gundham.Why are you posing like that?
- When the trial resumes after the first break, we get this from Chiaki.[Shocked] I-I never... expected the Funhouse itself to be the ultimate weapon...! [Deadpan] Oh well, let's just press on ahead.
- When the students are discussing how Nekomaru was hung from the door, Monokuma starts to spout off a Double Entendre about Nekomaru's "attributes" before Monomi stops him.Monokuma: That's right, he was sooooooooooooo well hung! Kinda like...
Monomi: You better not finish that sentence!
- Nagito, feeling like the trial is getting boring, goes "screw it" and starts his own Closing Argument, complete with the music. Which stops when he's interrupted, and starts again when he gets back to it.
- Akane repeatedly calling Fuyuhiko "Baby Gangsta", which results in a flustered and indignant Fuyuhiko yelling, "Stop calling me Baby Gangsta!!" Naturally the fans were quick to adopt this nickname for themselves.
- Kazuichi somehow managing to comically miss one of his own points during Trial #4.
Kazuichi: It appears it's just as Miss Sonia said...I'm just a pest...no, I'm not just a pest...I'm a total fucking pig...
Sonia: No, I believe you gave your all.
Kazuichi: HEY! WHY AREN'T YOU TEASING ME ANYMORE?!
- In the English dub, Usami has a voice sample of her saying "Yippee ki yay." Let that sink in for a moment. Observe.
- What's the weakpoint for Gundham's Rebuttal Showdown? "the maelstrom of blind confusion". Perfect.
- The Panic Talk with Gundham comes off as hilarious due to him yelling "CRUSHED AS DAVID PROPHESIZED!" and "FOR THE TANAKA EMPIRE!" as often and as hammily as he does.
- Crosses with Heartwarming and Tearjerking, but there's a certain over the top hilarity to Gundham being carried to heaven by the souls of tiny, furry animals after his execution.
- In a bit of Mood Whiplash, Sonia announces that the group will need to move past Nekomaru's and Gundham's deaths and continue to live their lives... because if they don't, Gundham might crawl his way out of the afterlife out of anger for letting his sacrifice be in vain.
- During the trial, Kazuichi attempts to start a discussion about the murder weapon leading to a rather funny exchange between him and NagitoKazuichi: Then let's start with something that even Miss Sonia can understand: the weapon!Nagito: ...Huh?Kazuichi: Well...the weapon is obvious, right?Nagito: ...Huh?
- Better still, during the Non-Stop Debate that discusses the weapon directly after that exchange, Kazuichi suggests the hammer as white noise in the form of three 'Huh?'s fly by the screen
- If Kazuichi's obsessive crush on Sonia annoys you, there's something hilarious about how little patience she has left for him by this chapter. In an optional conversation, she'll even misinterpret what Chiaki is saying about targeting the commander, concluding that attacking Kazuichi (who declared himself commander) is their best option. When Hajime sets her straight, Sonia gets disappointed.Hajime: You're totally mistaking who to fight! What's the point of attacking Kazuichi?Sonia: ...You're right. What a shame.Hajime: (thinking) If Kazuichi heard that, his rapidly diminishing enthusiasm might plummet into the negatives.
- The group is debating whether or not Nagito would have died instantaneously from his spear wound:Sonia: If you got penetrated by something so big and thick, you would die instantly!Kazuichi: ...I'm sorry...I didn't catch all that...Sonia: Like I said, if you got penetrated by something so big and thick, you would die instantly!Kazuichi (blushing): Ah, say it one more time...I need to record it...for reasons...
- Part of this joke is lost in translation: the word Sonia uses for "die" sounds identical to "come". It helps that "die" is old slang for the orgasm in English, though, as well as "that thing would kill me" being something of a porn meme for huge penises anyway.
- Not just in English. The French expression "La petite mort" (the little death) also refers to an orgasm.
- Hajime finds the helicopter that was used in Teruteru's execution. So what does he do? He tries punching the "piece of shit" which (obviously) only ends up hurting himself instead. Seems like Akane's violent habits have started rubbing off on him.
- Akane proposes that she drive Nagito's explosive-laden truck into the sea in hopes of stopping the detonation. Fuyuhiko exclaims that she can't, because... she doesn't have a driver's license!
- Earlier, Sonia takes one of the bombs from the military base and attempts to blast open the door to the ancient ruin with it... only to find out that the "bombs" are just fireworks displays.Sonia: God damn it all to hell!
- When the group is discussing how the victim could have done certain things while his hands were tied, Akane repeatedly suggests that the victim used his penis (or rather, his "front tail").
- After Hajime makes a point about how the victim's right arm wasn't actually tied, Akane offers to let him touch her boobs in return, leading to the following:Sonia: Akane! You should not give it away for free! Make sure they pay you first!Fuyuhiko: That's definitely wrong!Akane: Fine... I just gotta get a Benjamin from him before I let him touch me, right?Fuyuhiko: That's not what I meant! I was talking about Nagito!
Akane: Hajime...y-you tricked me! Gimme back that Benjamin!Hajime: N-Not only did she try to charge me...now she wants the money back...what the heck?
- Soon after, when Hajime's point appears to be in doubt, Akane demands a refund for the "down payment," and Hajime wonders how he can return something she never gave him.
Akane: If it's somethin' lame, I'll make you give back the Benjamin with 10,000 percent interest!
- When Akane challenges Hajime to prove his point:
- While the circumstances of the P.T.A. are anything but funny, it's amusing to see some of Monomi's insults.Monomi: Hajime, you stupidface!Monomi: I'll lower your grades!Monomi: Let's all get along...Monomi: Burst open and mix!
- The morning after the first day of the bomb search, Akane begins to choke Nagito, almost killing him. Chiaki slaps her and gets her to calm down. And then Nagito breaks the moment.Nagito: Thanks, Akane. I haven't seen my dog since he died. It was nice to be able to see him again.
- Right before Nagito's body is found, we learn that Fuyuhiko doesn't like Nagito's taste in music.Fuyuhiko: Yeah, it's really damn loud... Does Nagito like listening to this depressing crap?
- Chiaki's sentencing is a Player Punch. Chiaki's execution is a constant Mood Whiplash between horror... and comedy. The 8-bit sounds and effects, the giant Pac Man, the multi-line tetris clear... Monokuma pulled out all the stops.Game Over Screen: You too, Monomi!
- What would have been left behind if Nagito brought poison to the warehouse? One of the options is "the meat on the bone," referring back to Chapter 1's (somewhat infamous) Panic Talk Action.
- Akane is quick to start drooling about eating it all... before getting angry about how that's over and done with already.
- When the group discusses how Nagito tipped over the lighter, Sonia correctly guesses that he knocked it over... but then says that a "dust devil from glorious Japan" was the reason it got knocked over, instead of the domino-like set of Monokuma panels.
- "If this is a game... are my words being displayed in a text window right now?!", says Kazuichi... which is, obviously, displayed in a text window. That's probably the hardest the 4th Wall has ever been leaned on.
- "Cuz it's a game!"Fuyuhiko: We were forced to kill each other...Monokuma: Cuz it's a game!Kazuichi: A lot of crazy shit happened...Monokuma: Cuz it's a game!Akane: We're the only people here...Monokuma: (flirty sprite) Cuz it's a game!Sonia: Monokuma's nonsensical abilities...Monokuma: (enraged sprite) Cuz it's a game!
- After Sonia explains Your Mind Makes It Real citing the case of a prisoner who died because he thought he was being bled to death, Soda gushes about her expert knowledge of state-sanctioned torture.
- When the AI Junko makes her appearance, she starts remarking about her bust size.Junko: I see, I see... An estimated bust size of fifteen meters, huh. My boobs are hopelessly huge...
Junko: Hey, hey... want me to squish you in between them? Big boobs feel good, y'know?
Kazuichi: I-I'd get fucking crushed!
- During the final trial the original Byakuya shows up. He remarks that Junko is a lot bigger than he remembers. AI Junko tries to come on to him, saying that there are a lot of kinky things he can do with a big girl like her. Byakuya is not amused.Byakuya: Shut up.
- Akane apparently forgot that the "Byakuya" they knew before was an impostor and the true Byakuya was much thinner since her first reaction to his arrival is to comment on how much weight he has "lost" and voice pity for him because of his current "condition". Byakuya is still not amused.Byakuya: You shut up, too.
- Akane apparently forgot that the "Byakuya" they knew before was an impostor and the true Byakuya was much thinner since her first reaction to his arrival is to comment on how much weight he has "lost" and voice pity for him because of his current "condition". Byakuya is still not amused.
- When it's finally time for the mastermind to reveal their true identity, Monokuma starts Lampshading One-Winged Angel tropes before transforming. Their first lines afterwards are a whole bunch of Lampshade Hanging of other video game clichés, from action to bishojo games.
- Monokuma's overly long powering-up sequence before his "transformation" is also quite funny as his screams are punctuated with blubbering, ending with:Monokuma: I-I'M GONNA D-DIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
- Monokuma's overly long powering-up sequence before his "transformation" is also quite funny as his screams are punctuated with blubbering, ending with:
- Sonia blurts out that she did a lot of "disgraceful" things in front of the surveillance cameras. Byakuya's laconic reply: "You...sure did."Sonia: I will never be queen now! Please forget what you saw!
- When Hajime ponders what will happen to him and the other survivors when the shutdown occurs and the Graduation Program doesn't complete, one of the multiple-choice options is... "Lose Monocoins."Hajime: If we go back to our original selves before we entered the program, then I'll lose all my Monocoins......Wait, who cares about that!? That's not what this is about!
- The final question of the Logic Dive focused on Junko's plan to lure the Future Foundation into the game world has three answers. Unlike every other Logic Dive in the game, the wrong answers are deliberately designed to troll players who are moving too quickly by swapping out the second word to something close to the right one:What did Junko use to force them to watch the killings?Surveillance CamerasSurveillance CaramelSurveillance Gamera
- After Hajime overcomes his despair and dramatically transforms, he delivers a rousing speech about how he won't let anyone take his future away from him. Junko's response is a deadpan, "...Huh? Who the hell are you?"
- In the epilogue, Kyoko makes a subtle reference about how "there's someone waiting for (Byakuya) to return." Byakuya groans, "...Don't make me remember something so horrifying." It's fairly clear that she's talking about Toko/Jack.
Free Time Events
- "Fat Byakuya"'s Free Time events, in which Byakuya talks in perfect seriousness about body mass indexes or deciding which meat is better than the other, and mulls over the possible conspiracy behind a spurious German proverb about chicken and beef neglecting to mention pork.
- In Nagito's first Free Time event, he tries to help Hajime figure out his talent by suggesting some, which include Ultimate Serenity, Clumsy Student, Scatterbrain, and Spiky Hair.
- In Sonia's final Free Time event, she explains how Hajime matches the description of a legendary hero of Novoselic:Sonia: You wear a white shirt just like the legend says, and your hair looks like an antenna! And your face... is completely unremarkable!
- Play using the English voices and try not to laugh out loud when Sonia greets Hajime with a rousing, "Howdy-howdy-ho!"
- Chiaki's fourth Free Time event delivers this gem:context Chiaki: Ah, how embarrassing... I've never tripped before in my life...Hajime: As she said that... she stepped away from my chest. My heart... sounds really loud.Chiaki: Ah, just as I thought. You're pretty hard, Hajime.Hajime: Huh? HUH...? Ah, um... that is...Chiaki: Unlike me, your chest and arms are really built. You're definitely a boy.Hajime: Oh, that's what you meant... Yeah, that's obvious.
- In Teruteru's first Free Time event, he makes an analogy of what cooking reminds him of, with intertwined meats and flowing juices, among other things. Your choices are "Pro Wrestling," "Sumo Wrestling, and "...", with the correct choice being the last one. Hajime knows what Teruteru has in mind, but is too disgusted to say it out loud.
- If you spend a Free Time event with him in Island Mode, it leads to this exchange:Teruteru: Mmhmhm... Are you interested in me? Then how about we learn about each other first? If you'd like, we can get to know each other with our bodies. Why don't you come to my cottage!?Hajime: I declined Teruteru's offer with all my might, and we chatted over tea at the restaurant instead.
- If you spend a Free Time event with him in Island Mode, it leads to this exchange:
- Apparently Gundham Goes Commando... and tries to justify it by claiming that he does wear underwear, but that "humans with low astral vision cannot see it". Either that, or it's a case of The Emperor's Favorite Underwear and he really does believe he's wearing Invisible to Normals underwear.
- Speaking of which, he claims to spend much of his time maintaining a website about his sorcerous research... however, it has a powerful Glamour spell applied to it so that unworthy Muggles like Hajime will only see a blog about animal breeding if they look at it.
- Gundham warns Hajime against getting too close to him because he has spent his entire life filling his body with deadly poison and as a result he is now poisonous to the touch. Is this a lead-up to a tear-jerking reveal about him having cancer and undergoing chemotherapy or something equally sad? Nah, his mom's cooking just really sucks.
- Hajime accidentally presses Fuyuhiko's Berserk Button by mentioning milk. This exchange then happens:Fuyuhiko: Didn't you hear what I just said?! I'll seriously fuckin' bury you!Hajime: This is bad...his eyes look real intense...I've never seen anyone get so mad over milk.
- Kazuichi's "Shot Though the Heart" event has him consider confessing something to Hajime, but is afraid he'll make fun of him for it because he thinks it's 'too abnormal'. If you tell him that you understand him completely, he'll explain:Kazuichi: I... I think I'm in love with... tanks. Ever since I came to this island and saw one up close for the first time, I just haven't felt the same... Looking at it makes me feel all tingly... It's like I wanna disassemble it and learn all its secrets... (Suddenly very enthusiastic) Do you have a minute? I wanna keep talking about it but that's okay, right!?Hajime: And so, I was forced to listen to Kazuichi talk endlessly about his strange love for tanks... It looks like he had a really good time.
- Sometimes when visiting the military base with him you can ask if he wants to ride the tank, which leads to a similar response.Kazuichi: The tank, huh. It's soooo amazing, isn't it? Man it's sweet. It's huge, it's bulky, and I dunno how to say this, but I kinda want to pet it.
- Sometimes when visiting the military base with him you can ask if he wants to ride the tank, which leads to a similar response.
- During Peko's "Shot Though the Heart" event, there's one of the more outlandish wrong choices.Peko's Thoughts: Maybe Hajime is... a hitman...?Hajime: I AGREE WITH THAT! That's right... to tell you the truth, that's why I'm here.Peko: I see... (fighting pose) Then I must eliminate you right now.Hajime: I-I'm just kidding! It was just a little joke!Peko: ...
- And her best involves telling her you really are waiting her to let down her guard... just so you can tickle her.
- The best choice for Gundam's Shot Through the Heart, meanwhile, is agreeing with his speculation that Hajime means to rule the island.
- On a trip to the movies Byakuya declares that despite their benefits in drawing customers back to theaters and so on, he will never accept the advent of 3D because he looks silly wearing glasses on top of his glasses.
- On a trip to the library sometimes you are given an option to offer to start setting the books on fire. If that wasn't enough some of the students more positive reactions to can also be amusing:
- Kazuichi chooses to view the offer as how they could make decent fuel sources before changing the subject to how it reminds him about the time his mother found his Porn Stash at home and burned it all. The fact this is gets a "pretty good" reaction only makes it better.
- Another option at the library is to suggest reading novels. How does Teruteru respond?Teruteru: I agree! I think novels are the best! Since there are no unnecessary pictures, you can fly anywhere you want on the wings of fantasy! To be honest, I can get worked up just reading a dictionary!Hajime: Worked up...? It looks like he had a really good time.
- During one of Akane's free time events, you learn that she's afraid of ghosts. If you suggest going into the haunted house, she completely ignores Hajime and asks him where they should go first.
- On a trip to the beach, one of the options you might get is to suggest that Hajime and whoever came with him should take off all of their clothes. The best part is that this doesn't always result in a negative reaction.
- If he asks Nagito, he'll be totally fine with Hajime seeing him naked... damn you, ship tease!
- On the other hand, if he asks Gundam, his reaction is more akin to "HA! You dirty minded deviant! No way!" His flustered facial expression is likely one of the funniest out of all of the reactions.
- Similarly, Souda is all like "Hell yes! Oops, no homo..."
- Mahiru's reaction in particular has her getting a little too excited at the prospect of taking nude photos of Hajime, and emphatically denying that she wants to see his "shame".
- If you max out Chiaki's affection level, her question to you at the end will relate to what kind of game she isn't good at. One of the options is "Trigger happy detective games". Choosing it will have Chiaki say that she'd probably be dead if she wasn't good at those. Hajime can't help but agree.
- Sometimes when you go to the movies with Gundham, you'll get the option to suggest you both go see a film about animals. Gundham remarks that the power of the "beast tamers" who trained the animals for these films may be too great for Hajime... so he'd better bring a whole box of tissues. Alternatively, you can suggest that the two of you try some curry-flavoured popcorn, which Gundham takes as a challenge.
- Nagito is genuinely disappointed that nobody dies on the trip, and decides that this is an example of bad luck. To get the best result in his ending, you have to agree with him on this.
- Danganronpa 2: When all your waifus are dead is a non-canon sequel to the previous two similar videos for Danganronpa V3 and Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc and it is just as hilarious as the official two. It shows Hajime searching for a new waifu after realising that he feels lonely.
- It opens up with Hajime confused at "Byakuya's" death, only for Nagito to claim to be the culprit, but Hajime inmediatly telling him off and identifying Teruteru as the true culprit because "Horny individuals here won't even survive in this killing game". Teruteru fully agrees with him and asks Monokuma to "fry [him] up", thus getting our first variation of "Ouch. Now I'm dead. lol"
- The fact that Hajime is constantly refered to as "Hajimeme" and Nagito is referd to as "Naegi" by the text in more than one occation.
- Whenever Hajime considers looking for a new waifu, the voice of Izuru Kamukura always tries to warn Hajime about his one true waifu, with Hajime constantly confused about the voice.
- After Teruteru's execution, Mahiru offers herself to be Hajime's waifu... if he gives some food to Nagito first, which leads to Nagito trying to offer himself as Hajime's "waifu", which leads to this reaction from Hajime:
Monokuma: "Of all the people to have to say that word again? this is déjà vu all over again, why is this happening again for the second game? I hate this, I hate this, I hate this!"
- After being done feeding Nagito, Hajime goes back to report to Mahiru... only to find out that she's been murdered. At that point Hiyoko walks in, and after seeing Mahiru's body and believing Hajime to be her killer asks him "WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO MY WAIFU?", revealing that Mahiru was actually trying to cheat on Hiyoko with Hajime. His reaction says it all.
- Meanwhile, in the first island's beach, Peko tells Fuyuhiko that she has just killed Mahiru. Fuyuhiko, horrified, tells Peko that he told her to kill time with Mahiru, not kill Mahiru. Peko inmediatly realises that she just messed up.
- This is what Monokuma says once Peko refers to her execution as "her sexual fantasy"
Hajime: "WHY THE FUCK DOES THIS KEEP ON HAPPENING TO ME?!"
- After Peko's execution, Ibuki offers herself to be Hajime's waifu because someone told her that he was the perfect husbando. Hajime tells her to wait for him while he goes to his cottage for something. When he comes back, he discovers that Ibuki has been killed and then hung.
Hiyoko: "I died without any character development lol".
- Chiaki's reaction to Ibuki's hanging body? "Oh."
- Hajime and Chiaki go to inform everyone about Ibuki's death, only for Hajime to realise that Hiyoko is missing. The scene inmediatly cuts to the discovery of a dead Hiyoko, who somehow is able to say the following:
Mikan: "WHAT NO GO FUK YOURSELF MY BELOVED IS NOT EVEN HERE YOU FUCKIN CUCK I HOPE YOU DIE A FUKIN VIRGIN"
- Hajime thinks he knows who murdered Ibuki and Hiyoko, and Mikan inmediatly asks for forgivness for killing them, only for Hajime to say that the killer is Junko Enoshima. Mikan, as in typical chapter 3 fashion doesn't take well what Hajime said.
Monokuma: "I sometimes wonder why I'm the mastermind of this killing game for these kinds of horny teenagers I'm starting to hate my only job''
- During her execution, Mikan behaves in a very... unpleasant way, causing Monokuma to say the following:
Hajime and Makoto: "shut up"
- After Mikan's execution, Hajime tries to push away Hiyoko, who is then inmediatly revealed to be Miu in disguise wanting to "give s u c c" to Hajime's antenna. Before she can do that, Izuru highjacks the scene, causing Hajime to wake up shortly afterwards.
- *Nekomaru's body is found* "A body has been discovered in Lego Island".
- "O C T A G O N S"
- After Gundham's execution, Nagito expresses the desire to kill everyone that is left, but Hjaime tells him that he'll kill him with his words bullets first. Nagito at first laughs at him because he says that Hajime can only shoot word bullets on floating words, which Hajime inmediatly does to refute his argument. Either way, this actually kills Nagito. Hajime states that he can finally die at peace now that Nagito is dead, however, Monokuma tells him that Chiaki doesn't want him to die because he is relevant to the plot. Hajime realises that Chiaki is his true waifu and the one that Izuru was actually warning him about. After this Mood Whiplash ensues once Monokuma executes Chiaki.
- After the surviving students discover that the password to the ruins is 11037, Akane, Kazuichi and Sonia wonder why don't they have any screentime in the video while Fuyuhiko akwardly walks off alongside Hajime.
- Akane's dialogue is badly written on purpose.
- At the final trial, Makoto "Nae-Nae" (refered to as Makoto Nagito by the subtitles) makes his appearence with the text-to-speech voice that Nagito used instead of the child-like one he had in the previous video. Kyoko, who appears alongside the real Byakuya, is disappointed with this change.
- Speaking about Byakuya, he refers to the surviving students as "the poor people", causing them to all say in unison "That explains our screentime!" (except Sonia, who instead says "What's a screentime again?")
- Monokuma reveals himself to be Junko Enoshima, who introduces herself as the sister of Mukuro Ikusaba. The 16th student. Lying somewhere hidden in this school. The One they call the Ultimate-
- After being motivated by Chiaki's ghost and Izuru, Hajime foils Junko's plans and tells her that they will all change their futures... except for the video's editor, who he states has no future. After this, Junko is killed by Usami, who hadn't appeared throught the whole video until now. Lampshaded by Hajime.
- "It's almost 4PM, Makoto. It's time for your ahoge flattening".