- Talking about the Kid Icarus: Uprising preview in E3 2011.Kid Icarus's controls are weird (unless you're a stupid right hander...)
Pit: I hate lefties.
But the dialogue is charming and funny!
Pit: Knock knock.
Palutena: Who's there?
Pit: I hate lefties.
- The Waluigi comics can be seen as this. WAA
- EXPECTING SOMETHING FUNNY? TOO BAD. WALUIGI TIME.
- Wii Fit isn't for everyone.
- Heck, the entire Mushroom Kingdom Carol arc is one big CMOF for people familiar with the works involved: (Mario, A Christmas Carol, and even Brawl in the Family itself), even with the serious moments that come with the territory. Especially Wario in Part 2. For example:Wario: "Alright, so here's the scoop: after I kicked the bucket and you gained full control of the coin bank... you've become greedy, bitter and selfish! Well done!
- And this one:Mario: Wait, Wario... what was-a death like?
Wario: Well... You sorta jump up in the air and the music goes "do do do-do do do do do do-do.".
- And just before he leaves, there's his... not so subtle exposition.
- It's shown that the Shy Guys change masks in order to emote, here seen to look sad for sympathy and to show extreme shock.
- While it's in a very dark scene, the games in Mario's future are "Mario Teaches Banking", "Mario Chair Zii", and "Mario Bingo 8".
- The visual reference to Mama Luigi in Part 5.
- The Mario VS Bowser Jr. showdown in part 7.
- Also, when Bowser Jr. is beaten, original SMB style:WHO DESIGNED THIS CASTLE???
- Bowser's reaction to Peach giving him a snowglobe?Bowser: Humbug.
Rosalina (Spirit of Christmas Past): Well you heard him. Schedule another appointment.
Kirby (Spirit of Christmas Present): I'll go get my food pile.
- The ending. "God bless us, every WAAAAA!"
- During the rescue, the Yoshis crash into King Dedede, who's going through the process of stealing Christmas, complete with some familiar lyrics sung offscreen.
- And this one:
- The only game you deserve is on the... PHILIPS CD-I!
- FALCON BLUFF!
- Ganondorf as Boomhauer.
- The ending to the comic:
- HELLO THERE, MR. PLANET! WOULD YOU LIKE SOME MORE SUN?
- The Gonk-ified version of Weezing seen in "Lickitung has it rough". The cherry on top, though, is the comic's description, which is merely "That's the ugliest Weezing I've ever drawn."
- I can make MARIO fight SONIC!
- Strip 277: Another reason why smoking can be bad for your health.
- The part in The Captive Princess where Peach uses the Fire Flower.
- MANLY PIKACHU
- King Dedede's eccentric lookalike, Kingsonnn Dededoo.
- Wario tries to disguise himself as Mario, but Peach doesn't buy it.
- This newly evolved Dodrio's two original heads deadpan reaction to it's third head is priceless. Also, there's something amusing about the Doduo/Dodrio having a British accent.
- "ALL RIGHT, ALL RIGHT, GEEZ! You've made your point, Samus!" (Adam Malkovich)Samus: Good.
- A rare exception to Matthew's "Nintendo only" rule was Dr. Wily's Blueprints. And it was hysterical."This should be tough, but not impossible. We're not going after the Battletoads here."
- Dedede's realistic dad.
- The Bug Trainer's Magneton which is really three Magnemite glued together.Mag.
- "That is incorrect, Master Belch."
- TO THE MOP RIDER! Both a Shout-Out to Batman and Mach Rider.
- Also, when Pinky and Eario discover that the bell has been sabotaged, Eario's response is to... clean the small stain that was left on the control panel.
- At the end of the Cocoon Acedemy series, we find that Pinky was actually Meta Knight before Dark Matter turned him blue... and he told his story to Adeleine during a game of Truth or Dare.
- Philips' Box, fittingly for an April Fools comic, is a big one.
- For an earlier one, Matthew's theory on why Mega Man wasn't in Brawl, despite being a heavily requested character.
- it's ok. you'll get them next time. Poochy ain't stupid, indeed.
- Coach Captain Falcon.
- Captain Falcon saying "Falcon... LUNCH!!".
- "Freakin' FINALLY." (The Alt Text reads: How did he get in there in the first place? Did they just build a wall around him?)
- All of the Sun's Song three-parter. Especially Navi's reactions.
- Photo Booth. Kirby puts in money in the photo booth...and takes pictures with his own camera. The ALT text states he did this with the phone booth too.
- "Objection!" "Ook!"
- The King's flowchart.King Dedede: Idiot.
- Well, that was mean. (Alt Text: Later, a Fry Guy in Lethal Lava Land attempted pretty much the same prank.)
- Heck, everything Captain Falcon does here counts. Especially "FALCON SNEAK!"
- "What are your New Years' resolutions?" The last two work best when read in succession.Kirby: To suck more!
- The Alt Text for 1UP?.This cardboard 1UP was originally a promotional standee at Game Stop. It was attached to a cardboard display for Super Mario 3D Land, but it got tired of kids' grimy hands continuously touching it and replicating iconic Mario sound effects with their mouths. So one night, desperate to change its stationary life, it slid through a crack in the foundation and made its escape. Craving fresh air and bluer skies, the cardboard 1UP tumbled along the wind until it reached the edge of a dusty old road. From there, it hitchhiked with a number of interesting charactersmany of whom could fill books with their incredible, sordid pastsand eventually reached the spot where it rests in this comic. After Bowser was unfairly blamed for the 1UP's relocation, Mario went on to defeat the Koopa King once again, while the cardboard 1UP shed a guilty tear for Bowser's unjust punishment. As it turns out, Paper Mario nabbed the 1UP, thinking it was an Ultra Shroom, and like most RPG full-heal items, it sat in the hero's bag, never to be used. I mean, c'mon, what if you need it for later? So that's where the cardboard 1UP spent a great deal of time, crammed next to a Sleepy Sheep and something called a Couple's Cake. For years, the 1UP was content with its current situation, happy to play solitaire and the occasional game of backgammon with the Sleepy Sheep. But everything changed on that day. Amidst a stirring, fateful battle, Paper Mario was at the end of his rope. Bruised and battered, he remembered that fabled Ultra Shroom from so long ago. This was it. This was the time. This was the moment he'd been waiting for for so long! He reached down into his satchel, past a crusty Dried Shroom and a number of marginally-useful badges, and felt a warm, familiar presence. At this moment, the cardboard 1UP awoke with a glimmer of hope. This was it. This was the time. This was the moment it'd been waiting fora chance to finally make its mark in history! It would save Paper Mario in the eleventh hour, and as a result, the world! The 1UP swelled with pride and readied itself for its true purpose. Paper Mario lifted it high andready to recieve his second windcrammed it into his mouth! Nothing happened since it was made of cardboard. Cardboard is useless.
- The Nintendo heroes try to play Pushmo.
- Even Bowser needs someone to rescue him every now and then.Bowser: "My heartburn is killin' me, Doc... I think it's been flaring up again because I keep getting dumped into lava..."
- The Sleepover Arc.
- Inspiration. The answer to Miyamoto's inspiration for New Super Mario Bros. 2.
- Resourcefulness is already pretty funny (if not a bit unsettling), but scrolling down the page reveals another impassable Pit.
- And, if you grasp the possible implications, looking down from the comic in in the books reveals Eario, throwing a rose for the Marios. It's entirely possible he went back and threw one for Mario every single time.
- This strip involving Chibi-Robo and Pikachu, due to it's simplistic yet surprisingly vulgar nature.
- Kirby realizing the kind of life he's living.
- The final panel in Part 1 of "Cocoon Academy":
- This comic, which gives us the notion that Waluigi regularly puts on a skull mask and demands people give him candy.
- The Holiday Vacation comics, which give us comics of Dedede in Sinnoh, Bug Catcher in the Mushroom Kingdom and Ganondorf in Dream Land, and Luigi in Ocarina of Time.
- A lot of the Smash-up comics from the forums are pretty hilarious as well.
- Home lampshades a Painful Rhyme;Singers: Oh, there's no place like home/for the holidays/say "hello" to the puppy and lawn gnome.
(Look, hardly anything rhymes with "home", okay!?)
- "THAT. WAS NOT. A WARP PIPE."
- "OH HEY, YOSHI'S BACK! And now he can even CROUCH IN MID-AIR!"
- What happens when a mounted unit ranks up. The soldier rides a horse, who is riding another horse. That's not an innuendo by the way;Artist's Notes: "The silly visual at the end was a little tricky to draw in terms of ensuring that it looked kosher."
- Bowser's having some problems being taken seriously as a villain...
- One page has Bongo Bongo Thumb-wrestling against Andross. Let that sink in for a bit.
- B. Royale in the Family
- 9-1-1 sends Dr. Light a Fire Man to put out a kitchen fire. It only goes From Bad to Worse.
- Mr. Game & Watch meets Paper Mario, the quickest-drawn comic ever.
- This strip demonstrates that Slippy Toad has a certain skill that the Battletoads could've greatly benefited from.
- Someone does not want talking about what he did back in 1989-1991...:Pit: Hey Man! Haven't seen you in a while. Now we just need to get Simon-
Mega Man: SHH! Don't bring that up!
Pit: Bring up WHAT-icus?
Mega Man: AARGH!
- Frederick is so badass that the entire weapon triangle loses to him.
- Realistic Isabelle.
- This comic review of Pikmin 3 has some of its moments, including:
And they finally got fractions right! *Shows Pikmin 3 box with tagline "Now with math!"
- The jab at the previous games' overloaded Pikmin fractions:
The Pikmin are smarter than ever!Yellow Pikmin: Let's not fall off this bridge.Red Pikmin: Mmm...okay.Water Dumple: *thinking* SADDEST WATER DUMPLE
- The panel highlighting the beauty of the rainfall effect isn't as "peaceful" as it claims, as two Blue Pikminnote are resting on a mushroom in the rain, while the water-vulnerable Red and Yellow Pikmin are running around in a panic, and another Yellow Pikmin is already dead.
- The AI improvement is mentioned.
- #510, "The Year of Luigi", presents one of the comic's biggest laughs in a long time.
- Confusion + Hyper Beam = Epic Fail
- New Ability: Archer!
- Kirby is a better Dedede than Dedede.
- Necky from Donkey Kong Country getting blasted by bananas.
- Mega Man stealing Sonic's thunder has him feeling a bit jealous.
- The Brawl in the Family: Volume One kickstarter video deserves a mention."It's so exciting, there's suddenly two of me!"
"And if enough money is raised, I'll upgrade the book - UPGRADE! - to 200 comics! And, yes, that includes the 35 Waluigi comics for a total of like 2300508 something I don't even know!"
"So, let's make this the best book ever! Or maybe the second-best book behind To Kill a Mockingbird. That one's pretty hard to top."
- Fit Pit, depending on which ending you choose: either using the Power of Flight to achieve all those push-ups with minimal effort, or having previously set the Intensity Level of the Hearts Cauldron to 0.0.Pit: I am NEVER putting hearts into YOU again!
- Ike and Marth voting for Roy to return is heartwarming... only to forget that he's not the only Roy in the Nintendo universe.
- ...Robber. Touche.
- It's a Plunderful Life has some moments like these, but the conclusion reveals that the whole thing was another story explaining what the world would be like if Waluigi didn't exist.Waluigi: Waluigi hates this.
- Similar in style to the aforementioned Dr. Wily's Blueprints, we have A Metroid Adventure.
- Frequent Flyer Miles shows a very demented take on Tails' flying.
- Even BiTF is making fun of Sonic Boom's design of Knuckles.
- In the first part of the Divided by Hero arc, while Bowser and Ganondorf plan on switching roles to take out their respective heroes, there's Ridley drinking out of a hummingbird feeder in the background. The bartender is also Soda Popinksi, who was frequently implied to be drunk on soda after his name was changed from Vodka Drunkenski.
- As for Bowser and Ganondorf themselves, Bowser has his head bandaged after being thrown off a tower at the start of the comic. Ganondorf, meanwhile, has a Light Arrow stuck in his back, with bandages around it. His response when Bowser does a Double Take at the sight of it is simply "The doctor said to just leave it in." For bonus points, the tavern where the scene takes place is called the Vill-Inn.
- The Alt Text of the same strip (published on Valentine's Day):Okay, fine, you still want a Valentine's Day theme with this one? "As Ganondorf and Bowser shook mighty hands, their eyes met for the first time. Initially thinking he got the better end of the deal, Bowser could suddenly only focus on one thing: the impressive fullness of Ganondorf's eyebrows, poetically mirroring his own. Ganondorf, meanwhile, had never felt the ironclad grip of a spiny turtle monster before, and was instantly impressed. As his thoughts wavered from his plan to defeat Link, he slowly began to wonder what his new friend's scaly arms would feel like gently wrapped around his shoulders "
- The next strip in the arc gives us Ganondorf vs Mario.Ganondorf: "I don't know why Bowser never just stood here."note
Alt Text: Ganondorf, that bridge was the only way out of the castle.
- Against Bowser, Navi confidently states that Link has a fireproof tunic. Bowser simply roasts them, with only the tunic being unburnt (similar to the Duck Dodgers "disintegration proof vest" gag.)Navi: Stupid Gorons....
Alt Text: Still less painful than hearing him on the organ.
- In the alternate ending, everything is burnt and Navi admits that Link isn't actually wearing the tunic yet.
- The arc's ending. Specifically, Bowser and Ganondorf start fighting amongst themselves, and Bowser releases Link from his cage in a bid to take Ganondorf down. Ganondorf responds by freeing Mario... whereupon the heroes team up and send both villains plummeting off the tower. Smash Cut to the two of them back at the Vill-Inn, covered in bandages...
- There's just something inherently funny about Kirby's "Oh, Crap! / What the hell am I looking at?" expression in the last panel of "Face Off".
- (Truce?) (Truce.)
- The Ice Climber(s)'s Smash tryouts
- I think we should bite him.
- The Hunter is among us...Lots of booing in that room, I'd bet.
- Ain't I a stinker?
- This one also comes with an equally funny alternate ending where Mario's tormentor is Death Stare Luigi.
- Food Blockage.
- Uh...Hey, Buddy?.
- A Simple Request The idea of Ganondorf singing "All I Want For Christmas is You" is funny enough. Then it turns out he's singing it to the Triforce. Then there's a Re-Dead barbershop quartet. Not to mention some of the lyrics.My non-hate for you is real...
Folks would be shocked to discover ashes where their homes once stood!
Ganondorf: Courage Would be very handy for those boring chats with mom.
Onox: All the lights are shining so brightly everywhere...
Veran: And the sound of children screaming fills the a-air! (Wilhelm Scream)
Vaati: And everyone is seeing...
Majora!Skull Kid: ...their friends and family fleeing!
Ganondorf: Santa, won't you bring me the one I need to prove I'm a much better villain than these four dudes!
Zelda: TINGLE! We agreed on a twenty-dollar limit!
- There's one panel where Ganondorf is standing at the door with his trident, and Link and the Triforce are in the foreground.
- Then it's revealed at the end Link and Navi saw the whole thing. Ganondorf's face just says it.
- Made even more hilarious when you realize that Ganondorf eventually does get what he was singing about here - though not from the source you'd expect and not until much, much later.
- "Don't forget me!" "Oh, of course!" It's Link's face that sells it.
- "Duke it out as your favorite Nintendo characters! (And Jigglypuff)" *Jigglypuff raises eyebrow*
- "LISTEN UP!!" Well, pretty much every transformation here could qualify, but Meta Knight's face turning into a hilariously embarrassed expression as he accidentally exposes his adorable face takes the cake.
- Well excuuuse me, princess!
- Toad waiting patiently at his phone for a call.
- In the chain of phone calls, Meta Knight (who came up with the idea) gets called four times and Dededoo gets called six.
- Master Hand coming out with an evil laugh... and then waving and greeting them like it's just Saturday.
- His text is cut off, but in the 3rd to last panel, Pit is complaining about being an eggplant.
- Also Sonic is traumatized for whatever reason. (Perhaps it's a Take That! to Sonic Boom...?)
- How do Kirby and friends react to Master Hand/Matthew's heartfelt explanation and goodbye in comic 599?Meta Knight: ...Huh.
Dedede: (To Kirby) Did you get all that?
Kirby: Not really.
- How Master Hand ends the speech.Master Hand: And perhaps at some point in the future, we might meet again. And I will shoot Bullet Bills from my fingers at you.
- How Master Hand ends the speech.
- After one butt in several panels, now we have several butts in one panel.
- In the books, the bonus illustrations written for some of the comics can make them even funnier: For example, after Kirby turns into Luigi in 248 — "Bananas", we get to see him encounter a confused Greenie. Also, after 491 - "Marshy", after Mario and co. have set up camp on a hill's eye, the hill blinks, prompting this reaction:Mario and Co.: YAHH
- Speaking of, the fan-scripted comics are also good: While two are clever (the ones ones at the top of their pages), the other two are hilarious. The first one is Sunni F's, where, when Samus is watching Captain Falcon and Kirby play a certain game together (revealed below) , Snake shows up again. The encounter ends with Samus delivering a Groin Attack to him (the leadup itself featuring a nice bit of wordplay), followed by this gem:Snake: NNG... Right in the...
- The other one (by Matthew Daly) has various alternate timelines for some videogame universes for when the hero loses, a la Zelda. The final franchise (Kirby) has King Dedede interviewed by a Cappy, who asks him what he'll be doing next. His response?King Dedede: Now I can finally get back to ruling Dream Land!
- Speaking of, the fan-scripted comics are also good: While two are clever (the ones ones at the top of their pages), the other two are hilarious. The first one is Sunni F's, where, when Samus is watching Captain Falcon and Kirby play a certain game together (revealed below) , Snake shows up again. The encounter ends with Samus delivering a Groin Attack to him (the leadup itself featuring a nice bit of wordplay), followed by this gem:
- With the advent of Super Smash Bros Ultimate, Matthew made another musical comic: Wa-Elegy, a parody of Hallelujah, where Waluigi laments his continued existence as an Assist Trophy.
- I said "An Echo would be fine" is accompanied by an Imagine Spot of Waluigi performing a Hadoken.
- Waluigi confronts Master Hand and concedes that he doesn't belong in Smash... if the reasoning is that he'd be ridiculously broken. As his lines continue, Master Hand shoots him off Final Destination.
- The ending has Waluigi accepting his "participation trophy" as only he can:Waluigi: Waa, whatever! Waluigi will go destroy everyone in Mario Tennis Aces instead!cut to Waluigi playing tennis against Luigi and using his extremely long arms to cheatWaluigi: Wahahahahahaha!
- Too Bad, Waluigi Time shows a few strips as a sneak peak of the Kickstarter:
Anna: Come out Elsa!Elsa: Never.
- Anna and Elsa are building a snowman, but Annas carrot is a funky-looking one that looks like Waluigis nose and mustache. The result isnt pretty.
Funny / Brawl in the Family