open/close all folders
"To Make Much of Time"
- In "Rise of the Cybermen," in between the Doctor and Rose watching the limo pulling up to the Tyler house for Jackie's birthday party, and them joining the wait staff, Rose regrets that they can't take a trip back to the TARDIS so she can wear a slinky red dress.Rose Tyler: Oh, I wish we had time to go back to the TARDIS and change. Theres a gorgeous red dress in there Ive been dying to wear, and this would be the perfect chance.The Doctor: Yep. Too bad theres no time. [nodding towards the catering van] Tell you what though, I bet they have extra uniforms, in case of accidents.[He started down the hill before Rose had a chance to argue. Rose in a slinky red dress was not something he wanted to see. Well, it was, but it wasnt something he should want to see. Well, seeing it wouldnt necessarily be bad, but ]
- While the Doctor is in the kitchen staff trying to learn tidbits about this parallel world from Lucy (the waitress who tells him about the President of Great Britain), he briefly muses about whether or not Walt Disney still exists here.
- Which leads to a Brick Joke when pre-"The Idiot's Lantern," he suggests to Rose that they go to Disneyland's opening day in 1955, but Rose insists they go to the Elvis concert since their attempt to see Ian Dury ended up in them meeting Queen Victoria instead.
- The last part of "Love & Monsters" for the Doctor and Rose is the Cold Opening from the episode, of Elton encountering the Doctor and Rose battling a Hoix in a Woolwich warehouse. Here, we see how they got there: they are intending to go to Barcelona (the planet) for a romantic getaway and the Doctor can properly make love to her. Instead, the TARDIS has a mind of its own and dumps them in Woolwich. This was right after the Doctor had agreed to let Rose pilot the TARDIS, which she manages to execute a perfect landing in.Rose Tyler: I did it! [The Doctor caught her in his arms and pressed a hard kiss to her lips]The Doctor: You did. [A few seconds later, they felt a gentle thud] Was that it? Whyd she land so lightly for you?Rose Tyler: [grins] Maybe because Ive never performed percussive maintenance on her. [The TARDIS hummed in agreement, drawing a laugh from Rose and a huff of exasperation from the Doctor]The Doctor: [to the console] Well I wouldnt have to, if youd just do what I ask...[Rose rolled her eyes, but neither she nor the TARDIS commented]
- Rose is the first out and thus realizes before the Doctor can exit that they're not on Barcelona:
The Doctor: [laughing] I dont think the old girl approves of these activities in her console room...
- It should be noted that Rose had donned a sundress more appropriate for Barcelona than for Woolwich. So she changes into "alien-chasing clothes" which are still just as revealing as the sundress◊: jeans, denim jacket, and a plaid shirt opened up just enough to show a hint of cleavage. The Doctor is appropriately distracted just a bit when she comes in while he's brewing the solution to subdue the Hoix.
- The whole chase to subdue the Hoix is enough to sexually arouse Rose, and the Doctor's whole plan at seducing her goes by the wayside. So they begin making out once back inside the TARDIS, heated enough that they're unbuttoning one another's clothes...and then the TARDIS makes the sound of an alarm clock to tell them to move to the bedroom.
Rose Tyler: [telepathically] Take us into the Vortex, Doctor, and then take me to bed. [He moved jerkily to do her bidding, but she could still feel his confusion]The Doctor: BarcelonaRose Tyler: Will wait. I dont need a fancy hotel or flowers every morning. I just need you. [The time rotor chugged up and down, and Rose dropped her clothes to the grating] Take me to your room and make love to me.[Her explicit request broke through the last of his reserve. Before Rose could even blink, he had her in his arms and was carrying her down the corridor]Rose Tyler: [out loud] Howd you move so quickly?The Doctor: Time Lord trick. Pause the flow of time around you so you can move in an instant.[Rose slid a hand under his shirt, enjoying the shudder she felt run through him]Rose Tyler: Any other Time Lord tricks I should know about? [The look he gave her was pure sin]The Doctor: Oh, just you wait, Rose Tyler. Just you wait.
- The Doctor had had this whole seduction plan lined up for Rose. Only for it all to go by the wayside because it hitting him only just now that it doesn't always have to be fancy. Sometimes it's just a woman who's waited long enough dropping her clothes to the TARDIS grating.
- During their getaway to Barcelona, the Doctor and Rose go on a hiking trip. Their tour guide is constantly misidentifying plants along the way, and by the third time, the Doctor essentially takes over the group and becomes their new guide.
- The Doctor and Rose's discussion of how they'll break the news to Jackie that Rose is for all intents and purposes immortal. It turns out he did catch Jackie asking Rose if there were more things he had two of than just his hearts when he was out from post-regeneration sickness during the Sycorax invasion.The Doctor: So, what are you going to tell your mum?Rose Tyler: It was actually the thought that I should tell her about my longer life that made me realise I dont think shell be happy though; she already hates that theres more time between our visits for me than there is for her.The Doctor: Youll have to tell her eventually, though. I think shell figure it out in ten years, when you still havent aged a day.Rose Tyler: Yeah, I know. [Rose pushed her risotto around her plate with her fork] An shed be more upset later if she found out Id kept it from her. [The Doctor nodded; that had been his conclusion as well]The Doctor: And [He ran his finger around the rim of his wine glass] What about us? [Rose grinned and took a sip of her wine]Rose Tyler: Oh, I was already gonna tell her about the bond on our next visit. Now Ive really got to.The Doctor: You were? [That wasnt what hed expected. He knew shed tell Jackie they were together, or committed, or however she wanted to phrase it, but this kind of full acceptance of their bond, the pride he could feel from her as she thought about explaining it to her mother.]Rose Tyler: [nods] Yep. Imagine if we showed up one day, already married, and she didnt even know wed been engaged. [She bit her lip, and he could see the teasing smile she was trying to hide] Shell be upset enough over not being able to plan a human wedding for us. [The Doctors eyes widened]The Doctor: [dramatically] Shes going to kill me. Shell find some way to make it so I dont regenerate, and shell kill me.Rose Tyler: [rolls her eyes] No, she wont. She was glad we were going on a real date, remember?[The Doctor shook his head, enjoying the feeling of Roses mirth bubbling over their bond]The Doctor: Dating is one thing. Marrying you in some kind of weird alien ritualdont you laugh, Rose Tyler, you know thats what shell say.Rose Tyler: She might not.The Doctor: I bet you ten quid she does.Rose Tyler: [giggles] Yeah, no way am I taking that bet.The Doctor: Ah! [The Doctor pointed his fork at Rose] So you admit it then!Rose Tyler: Its possible...that Mum might say something like that.The Doctor: [snorts] "Its possible," she says, as if this wasnt the same woman who wondered if I had two sex organs. [He smirked when Rose turned red] I caught a few things here and there while I was out.Rose Tyler: And one of the things you caught was my mum wondering what else you had two of? [He remembered the other thing hed heard, and reached across the table for Roses hand]The Doctor: That, and you asking for my help. So only the important things.Rose Tyler: So yeah, Mumll probably make some kind of comment, but you know it doesnt matter, right?The Doctor: It doesnt?Rose Tyler: Nope. The only Tyler who needs to approve of Time Lord marriage rituals or...[her eyes glittered with laughter]...their sex organs is me.The Doctor: And and do you?Rose Tyler: Yeah. I do. [beat]Rose Tyler: Doctor!
- The awkward conversation in "Army of Ghosts" that happens as Rose is explaining to her mother how she and the Doctor have bonded telepathically. Jackie's dismayed reaction at learning how Gallifreyans used looms to reproduce is priceless.Jackie Tyler: Oh, I knew it! Himself has got you up the duff, hasnt he?Rose Tyler: What? [She spat out the tea shed just drank] Mum, no! Time Lords were almost all sterile. The chances of thatJackie Tyler: [snorts] Is that the line he gave you? Oh, when that alien gets back in here [She rose halfway out of her seat, and Rose grabbed her before she went outside to confront the Doctor]Rose Tyler: Let me finish. Time Lords [She looked at the ceiling and called up the memory of what the Doctor had said before they bonded] They didnt have kids like humans do. They used these things called looms.Jackie Tyler: Does that mean I wont be getting any grandchildren?
- When the Doctor and Rose are reunited on Bad Wolf Bay after the Battle of Canary Wharf, they have Glad-to-Be-Alive Sex and then sleep the night in the TARDIS. It's only the next morning that Rose realizes they've spent the entire night parked on Bad Wolf Bay. She laughs as she tries to wonder what the early morning joggers might have thought of the blue box on the beach.
- The Sequel Hook introducing the Master: he's shown stuck in traffic on the M25.The drive was painfully slow, with traffic on the M25 the same mess it usually was. Why did these humans ever think automobile traffic was a good way to travel from one location to another?
"Time is Still A-Flying"
- Donna's remark accusing the Doctor of abducting other women in the past when she finds Rose's blouse is a mix of funny and Tear Jerker in "The Runaway Bride" as the show canon does it, since the Doctor had just lost Rose. Here, the remark is in response to seeing Rose herself, and Rose's deadpan snark just sells it:Donna Noble: I knew it, acting all innocent. Im not the first, am I? How many women have you abducted?Rose Tyler: I live here.The Doctor: Ah, Rose! Good. Rose, Donna. Donna, Rose. Donna just popped in for a visit, but we need to get her to the church. Obviously, shes got someplace to be. No time to chat.
- Noticing Donna in a cab driven by the scavengers, the Doctor hurries back to the TARDIS and he and Rose give chase. When they catch up to Donna's cab, Rose keeps the TARDIS steady while the Doctor rushes to the door so he can grab Donna.The Doctor: Open the door![Her lips moved, and even though he couldnt hear her, he could tell what she was saying:]Donna Noble: Do what?The Doctor: Open the door! [She pounded on the inside of the door]Donna Noble: I cant, its locked![Of course it is. Holding onto the door frame with one hand, the Doctor pulled his sonic out of his pocket with the other. He directed it at the cab and unlocked both the door and the window. Instead of opening the door, Donna rolled the window down and stuck her head out]Donna Noble: Santas a robot!The Doctor: [Yes thanks, Ive noticed that.] Donna, open the door!Donna Noble: What for?The Doctor: Youve got to jump!Donna Noble: Im not blinking flip jumping! Im supposed to be getting married![The cab sped up]Rose Tyler: Ive got it! [The TARDIS jolted and wove through traffic until they were alongside the cab again. The Doctor pointed the sonic at the Robo Santa first, rendering it incapable of doing anything but driving at exactly the speed he was going now. Then he directed his attention to Donna, who was staring at him in horrified amazement]The Doctor: Listen to me. Youve got to jump!Donna Noble: Im not jumping on a motorway!The Doctor: Whatever that thing is, it needs you. And whatever it needs you for, its not good! [He saw the moment the severity of her situation finally sank in] Now, come on!Donna Noble: Im in my wedding dress!The Doctor: Yes, you look lovely! Come on! [He sighed in relief when she finally opened the door. He held out his arms for her, but when she looked down at the motorway speeding by between them, she shifted back into the car]Donna Noble: I cant do it. [There was real fear in her eyes under the brazen exterior, and he lowered his voice into a comforting tone]The Doctor: Trust me. [Donna looked past him, into the TARDIS]Donna Noble: Rose!Rose Tyler: Yeah?Donna Noble: Youre really with him because you want to be? You trust him that much? [The Doctor looked back at her, almost afraid to hear her answer, even though he knew what it would be]Rose Tyler: [showing her engagement ring] I trust him enough to marry him! [The Doctor beamed at her before turning back to Donna expectantly]Donna Noble: [shakes her head] I reckon youre both nutters. [She launched herself out of the cab, into the Doctors waiting arms. Rose laughed at the Doctors flustered expression when Donna knocked him to the grating. The two of them looked at each other, then Donna scrambled off of him and they both stood up and dusted themselves off]
- Rose, while the Doctor is probing Donna for answers as to why the scavengers are targeting her:The Doctor: [scans Donna with the sonic screwdriver] Its weird. I mean, youre not special, youre not powerful, youre not connected, youre not clever, youre not important.Rose Tyler: Feel free to slap his hand away, Donna. He gets a little carried away sometimes.
- When the Doctor and Rose are taking Donna to her wedding reception, they are a little too intimate for Donna's taste that she tells them to knock it off.Donna Noble: Oi! Dyou mind not being quite so lovey dovey in front of the woman who just missed her own wedding?
Donna Noble: Oh, anyone would think you two were newlyweds, the way you keep hanging onto each other.The Doctor: Donna, its not like we have room to spread out.Donna Noble: Yeah, because youd let go of Blondie there if you didnt need to be practically sitting in each others laps? [The Doctor and Rose exchanged a mutually embarrassed glance, and Donna snorted] Thats what I thought.
- Which continues when they pile into Lance's import for the trip to the HC Clements office:
- Whilst infiltrating the Racnoss lair, Rose can't help but ask, "Why do the bad guys always use mood lighting?
- The Doctor dresses up as one of the roboforms to sneak back into the Empress's lair to rescue Donna and Rose, but the Empress quickly spots him:Empress: So you might as well unmask, my clever little doctor man.The Doctor: [tosses off his mask and robe] Oh well. Nice try. [he looked up at the web] Rose, when youre done hanging around, maybe you could get Donna down? [He pointed the sonic screwdriver at the web, and the strands around her arms loosened enough for her to wiggle them free] I know its not the same as a chain over a vat of plastic, but you still got the bronze, didnt you?Rose Tyler: You bet I did.
- In "Smith & Jones," when the Doctor and Rose first meet Martha, the whole exchange is pretty awkward between the Doctor and Rose realizing they're going to have a non-linear meeting with her, and Martha's analysis of Rose trying to diagnose the cause of her condition:Mr. Stoker: [leading the students in] Now then, Mrs. Tyler, a very good morning to you. How are you today?Rose Tyler: [shrugs] Eh, still not feeling too great.Mr. Stoker: Rose Tyler, admitted yesterday with severe abdominal pains. [turns to Martha] Jones, why dont you see what you can find? Amaze me.[The student looked at the Doctor as she walked around to the opposite side of the bed]Martha Jones: What were you doing earlier, running around outside? [She pulled out her stethoscope]The Doctor: Sorry?Martha Jones: On Chancellor Street this morning? [She put the bell over Roses chest] You came up to me and took your tie off.The Doctor: Really? What did I do that for?Martha Jones: I dont know You just did.The Doctor: [shakes his head] Not me. I was here, with Rose. Ask the nurses. [She straightened up, forgetting all about Rose]Martha Jones: Well, thats weird, cause it looked like you. Have you got a brother?The Doctor: No, not any more. Just me. John Tyler, by the way.Mr. Stoker: As time passes and I grow ever more infirm and weary, Miss Jones.Martha Jones: Sorry. Right. [She held the bell to Roses chest again and listened] Fifty-five beats per minute. Youre in excellent shape, Mrs. Tyler.Rose Tyler: [glances at the Doctor] We do a lot of running.Mr. Stoker: If youre done getting a life history of the patient, perhaps you have an idea, Miss Jones?[The students eyes flicked around, then settled on Roses ring, obviously still new]Martha Jones: Ah, I dont know. Could you be pregnant? [Both Rose and the Doctor shook their heads]The Doctor: We cant have children. Not without a lot of jiggery-pokery.Rose Tyler: And thats not a euphemism. [This earned laughs from the students and an eye roll from their teacher]
- When the Judoon take the hospital to the Moon, Rose is still in her patient gown and hasn't yet changed out.Rose Tyler: Doctor, are weThe Doctor: Were on the Moon.Rose Tyler: Never been here before. Someplace new to add to the list. [Screams of panic echoed through the hallways, and the Doctor glanced out at the patients and doctors stumbling around outside the room]The Doctor: When were done here, Ill take you to the moon landing. But I think its time for us to do a little exploring, which would probably be easier if you got dressed.
- When the Doctor and Rose are properly introducing themselves to Martha, they have to clarify that "Tyler" is not the Doctor's surname.Martha Jones: Mr. Tyler, Mrs. Tyler, I promise you, we will find a way out. If we can travel to the moon, then we can travel back. Theres got to be a way. [Rose watched the Doctor push off from the balustrade and explore the rest of the balcony]The Doctor: Its not Tyler. Thats not my real name.Martha Jones: Who are you, then?The Doctor: Im the Doctor.Martha Jones: Me too, if I can pass my exams. What is it then, Doctor Tyler?The Doctor: Just the Doctor.Martha Jones: How do you mean, "just 'the Doctor'?Rose Tyler: Thats his name, Martha. The Doctor.Martha Jones: [looking at Rose skeptically] And I suppose youre not actually Rose Tyler.Rose Tyler: [smiles] No, thats meNHS number and all.Martha Jones: But people call him "the Doctor?The Doctor and Rose Tyler: Yes.
The Master: Then I wonder if it would be possible to have you add two more names to the list when you see itas a personal favour to me. An old school friend of mine will be in town tomorrow with his wife, and I know theyd be fascinated with Professor Lazarus work. [listens] Excellent. Their names are the Doctor and Rose Tyler. [listens] No, not Doctor Tyler. His wife is Rose Tyler, but he is just "the Doctor". [The Masters smile turned sharklike] Its an old nickname thats stuck, Im afraid. You should hear what he calls me...
- The Master runs into the same problem when he calls in a favor to Lady Thaw to put the Doctor and Rose on the guest list for Lazarus's demonstration.
Martha Jones: You never even told me who you are.The Doctor: Yes, we did. The Doctor and Rose Tyler.Martha Jones: What sort of species? Its not every day I get to ask that.[Rose felt him stiffen, but knew Martha wouldnt notice]The Doctor: Im a Time Lord.Martha Jones: Right! Not pompous at all, then. [She looked at Rose] But your wife is human.Rose Tyler: [headshake] Not exactly.Martha Jones: Those Judoon things though, they said you were human.Rose Tyler: As far as most people can tell, I am, and I have a feeling today wont be the last time that comes in handy. But well, its complicated and Id rather not get into it right now, but long story short, Im more like the Doctor than I am human.
- Whilst the Doctor and Rose are inviting Martha to travel with them in the TARDIS, Martha still seems convinced Rose's name is fake:
- As they watch the Judoon enter the hospital and speak to Oliver Morgenstern, Rose asks the Doctor why the Judoons' language isn't being translated by the TARDIS translation circuits.Rose Tyler: Doctor, why isnt the TARDIS translating? [The ship was back on Earth, but with their bond, she should have been able to translate despite the distance. Rose got the distinct feeling the TARDIS was huffing indignantly, and she knew the Doctor was stifling a laugh]The Doctor: The TARDIS thinks the Judoons language is beneath her. Ive tried to upload it to the translation circuit, and she refuses it every time.
- The Doctor and Rose try to get into the hospital computers to look for the Judoons' person of interest while Martha monitors the Judoons' progress.Rose Tyler: What do you think of Martha so far?The Doctor: Nice. Clever. A bit slow to believe in things she hasnt already seen proof of.Rose Tyler: Which would explain what she said about seeing you in the street this morning.The Doctor: Exactly.[Rose toyed with her TARDIS key. It had been over a year since anyone had travelled with them, and shed gotten used to having the Doctor to herself. Still, she felt the tug of the timelines, telling her they needed Martha]The Doctor: Lets get through this first. When were all back on Earth, we can talk about it. Martha came back then, ending the conversation]''Martha Jones: Theyve reached the third floor. [eyes the Doctor's sonic screwdriver] Whats that thing?The Doctor: Sonic screwdriver. [She huffed out a short laugh and rolled her eyes]Martha Jones: Well, if youre not going to answer me properly...[The Doctor stopped what he was doing and looked at her over his shoulder]The Doctor: No, really, it is. Its a screwdriver, and its sonic. Look.Rose Tyler: You know, Doctor, Ive never seen you actually use it as a screwdriver.Martha Jones: [to Rose] What else has he got, a laser spanner?The Doctor: I did but it was stolen by Emily Pankhurst, cheeky woman. Oh, this computer! [He smacked the top of the monitor] The Judoon must have locked it down. Judoon platoon upon the moon. [He rubbed at his mouth and jaw] And we didnt even mean to go to London. [Rose leaned back to watch Martha try to keep up with his babbling] Weve been travelling, taking an extended honeymoon, and when we ended up in London, we decided to poke around a bit, and then I noticed these plasma coils around the hospital, and that lightning, thats a plasma coil. Been building up for two days now, so we checked in. We thought something was going on inside. It turns out the plasma coils were the Judoon up above...
- As the Doctor, Rose and Martha make their way back to Mr. Stoker's office after killing the first Slab, Rose thinks it amusing that they're acting a bit like secret agents here.[She grinned up at the Doctor when they took cover behind a water dispenser, seeing the same spark of excitement in his eyes that she felt. They all heard loud footsteps just around the corner. A slab walked by, and the Doctor murmured]The Doctor: Thats the thing about slabs. They always travel in pairs.Martha Jones: Not like you can talk. I never figured alien investigators would do something as domestic as getting married. Whats that all about then? [The Doctors fingers flexed around Roses hand]The Doctor: Oh, humans. You always think youre the only ones to do things. Do you really think no other species in the universe takes a life partner? [He stood up and crept around her] Come on.Martha Jones: I like that. [She stood up] Humans. Im still not convinced youre an alien-[Rose wasnt even surprised when the Doctor ran straight into a Judoon at that moment]Judoon: [scans the Doctor] Non-human.Martha Jones: [mouth gaping]...Oh my God, you really are.The Doctor: ...And again.[Rose was two steps ahead of the Doctor and Martha, running away from the Judoon. Hearing laser blasts behind them, they all ducked and then managed to turn the corner before the Judoon fired their weapons a second time]
- On her first trip in the TARDIS, Martha is quick to say she prefers Rose's piloting to the Doctor's. This becomes a Running Gag as Donna, and later Jenny, share the same sentiment.
- During "The Shakespeare Code," Rose gets to snark about their reputation for running into historical figures when the Doctor spots the Globe and begins steering them towards it:Rose Tyler: Sometimes I think half the reason the Doctor travels is to meet all his heroes. [She bumped her shoulder against the Doctors, considering what her first Doctor had taught her about Shakespeare in his crash course in English literature] Too bad you cant get an autographed first edition like you did when we met Dickens. Considering the First Folio wasnt published until after he died, no one would believe you.
- The "it's a bit Harry Potter" conversation when the Doctor, Rose and Martha are conversing after Lynley's death:The Doctor: All right, where shall we begin?Martha Jones: Well, magic and stuff. Thats a surprise. Its all a little bit Harry Potter.The Doctor: [smiles] Oh, I loved book seven.Rose Tyler: [whispering to Martha] He cried.The Doctor: Oh, I wasnt the only one, Rose Tyler. [The Doctor pointed at her] Here lies Dobby, a free elf." Need I remind you?
- Rose and Doctor's silent telepathic conversation as they're making their way to see Peter Streete at the asylum:Rose Tyler: Its so weird, seeing places I know that are just enough different from what Im used to.The Doctor: This is London before the Great Fire. Before Christopher Wren rebuilt it.Rose Tyler: Youre not going to claim you helped?The Doctor: Welllll [The Doctor tugged on his ear] Its possiblejust possible, mindthat I actually had something to do with the fire itself. [She chuckled, then laughed harder when she caught sight of the business on the next corner]Rose Tyler: Maybe its not too different, after all. [She pointed to a door with an apothecary sign hanging overhead] Thats a Boots, in my time.
- Learning about the Carrionites puts the Doctor and Rose on a trip down memory lane:Rose Tyler: So. Shakespeare and witches...The Doctor: I know! Although Macbeth was never my favourite.Martha Jones: I thought you were supposed to call it The Scottish Play.'The Doctor: One, we arent in a theatre, and two, I really dont believe in superstitions.Rose Tyler: And three, it hasnt even been written yet.Martha Jones: [eyeroll] All right, fine. Then whats so funny about Shakespeare and witches? Besides the obvious, I mean.Rose Tyler: [crosses her legs] When we met Dickens, there were ghosts.Martha Jones: [bemused] Oh thats Your life is mad. Next youre going to tell me youve solved a mystery with Agatha Christie.Rose Tyler: [smirks] Not yet we havent, but might do someday.
- The whole bit with being greeted by Queen Elizabeth I, her recognizing the Doctor as her sworn enemy, and crying "Off with His Head!" is retained, though evidently the context is much different:The Doctor: [enthusiastic] Queen Elizabeth the First!Elizabeth I: [angrily] Doctor!The Doctor: What?Elizabeth I: The Doctor and Rose Tyler. My sworn enemies!The Doctor and Rose Tyler: [in unison] What?Elizabeth I: OFF WITH THEIR HEADS!!The Doctor: Whaaaat?!Martha Jones: Oh, never mind what, just run! See you, Will, and thanks.
Martha Jones: What have you done to upset her?The Doctor: How should we know? Havent even met her yet! Thats time travel for you. Still, cant wait to find out! [Rose had the door open when the Doctor and Martha reached the TARDIS, and Martha ran down the ramp. She rolled her eyes when the Doctor stopped and looked back at the guards] Thats something to look forward to. [He closed the door suddenly. Rose heard something thwack into the wood as she hit the dematerialisation sequence that would take them into the Vortex]Rose Tyler: So, have you managed to alienate all of Britains ruling queens? Only, thats two out of six and Id just like to know if were going to be in trouble if we ever meet Liz II. [The Doctor tossed his coat over a strut, then joined Rose at the console]The Doctor: Nah and Id like to point out, Rose Tyler, that I didnt start getting on the bad side of your queens until you were travelling with me. [Rose pressed her lips together to hide a smirk, then caught the confused look on Marthas face]Rose Tyler: [to Martha] Oh, we were banished by Queen Victoria once, thats all.Martha Jones: ...Right.
- They race back to the TARDIS pursued by the queen's guards.
- In "Daleks in Manhattan," when the Doctor's entourage encounters the loose brain in the tunnels, Rose suppresses the urge to laugh as she remembers the Doctor tasting blood with his fingers on the Sycorax ship.Rose Tyler: Oh, Martha, just be glad he isnt tasting it.
- In "Evolution of the Daleks," when the Daleks kill Solomon, the Doctor tries to negotiate to keep them from hurting anyone else in Hooverville.The Doctor: All right, so its my turn! What can I do to get you to stop attacking these people?!Dalek: I will be the destroyer of our greatest enemy.The Doctor: Well...could we maybe discuss other options? Because frankly, Id rather not die. Besides, do you want to live in a world without me? I mean, what would the Daleks be without an arch enemy?
- In "The Lazarus Experiment," Rose manages to alleviate Martha's mother's suspicions of her and the Doctor using a cover story on the psychic paper.Francine Jones: All right, whats the occasion?Martha Jones: What do you mean? Im just pleased to see you, thats all. [Her mum smiled and tilted her head curiously]Francine Jones: You saw me last night.Rose Tyler: [steps in] Marthas enthusiastic greeting is probably my fault, Mrs. Jones. I [She swallowed, and the Doctor wrapped his arm around her waist] I lost my mother about about ten months ago, and we were talking about that earlier today. [Martha smiled at Rose, hoping she could see the gratitude in her eyes]Martha Jones: Yeah, it just reminded me that you never know how much time youll have with the people you love. [Her mum still looked doubtful, so Martha turned to her brother, looking to get the attention off hersel] Youre looking good, Leo.Leo Jones: Yeah. [huffs] If anyone asks me to fetch them a drink, Ill swing for him. [Francines speculative gaze turned on Rose and the Doctor]Francine Jones: You disappeared last night.Martha Jones: I just went home. [She felt like a teenager whod been caught sneaking out]Rose Tyler: She did have a long day yesterday. What with the hospital being transported to the moon and all. [Martha wanted to hide when her mum looked down her nose at Rose]Francine Jones: And you are ?Rose Tyler: Im Rose Tyler, and this is my husband, the Doctor.Francine Jones: Whats your connection with my daughter? [Rose sighed and looked at the Doctor before Martha could protest her mums interrogation]Rose Tyler: Do you have our identification, Doctor? ''[The Doctors eyebrow quirked up slightly, but he handed his wife the psychic paper without question. Martha tried to catch a glimpse of it when Rose showed it to her mum, but she couldnt without being totally obvious. Francine blinked, then looked at the blank piece of paper and back at Rose.Francine Jones: But youreRose Tyler: We just needed to talk with Martha a little about what happened on the moon. The conversation took longer than we thought it would, and then we learned we were all invited to the same party, so we thought, Why not come together?
- It's only when they leave the party to go study Lazarus's DNA that Rose reveals just what her cover story was:Martha Jones: I meant to say, thanks for stepping in with Mum earlier. You were brilliant.Rose Tyler: Yeah, well I have a lot of experience recognising a mum on the warpath, thanks to the Doctor. [The women laughed over the Doctors protest. The lift came, and they all got in]Martha Jones: So what happened to your mum, if you dont mind me asking? Or was that just a cover?Rose Tyler: [smiles sadly] Canary Wharf. [Martha hummed in sympathy, and Rose shook her head] It isnt like that; she isnt actually dead. But shes trapped in a parallel universe, and Ill never see her again. [The Doctor looked at Rose curiously]The Doctor: While were asking questions, Rose, who did you tell Marthas mum we are?
[The lift doors opened on the second storey, and Rose waited to answer until they were walking down the corridor, following a sign that pointed to the laboratories. Then she grinned at him, letting her tongue peek out]
Rose Tyler: Investigators with UNIT.
[The Doctor laughed. It was the simplest, most obvious cover, since the Brigadier had added a note about her to the Doctors file]The Doctor: You are brilliant, Rose Tyler.Rose Tyler: Yeah, well, now its time for the two of you to be brilliant.
- While the Doctor tries to contain Lazarus, Rose and Martha evacuate the guests. Once everyone's out, Martha goes back inside to join Rose.Rose Tyler: I figured youd come. Now, where do you think the Doctor is? [An explosion sounded distantly from the second floor, and both women chuckled wryly] That answers that question...[They raced up the stairs]
- In "Human Nature," the Doctor's instructions for Martha on how to handle his and Rose's new human aliases and life.The Doctor: ...and twenty-three, Ive done everything I could to make sure we wouldnt be found. The chameleon arch technology should be infallible, but the last time I was with someone who insisted their plans couldnt fail, I watched the Titanic hit an iceberg.
- The Doctor testing his Timey Wimey detector in anticipation of Billy Shipton's arrival. Due to a lack of temporal activity in 1969, he can't find anything that will allow him to confirm that the detector works. After about an hour, he decides to just point the detector at anything in sight in hopes of getting it to react. A half hour later, it causes a chicken to abruptly explode.Chicken Owner: Oi! You there! What are you doing to my birds?The Doctor: Uh nothing! Nothing at all! It must have been um, the heat. Yep, chickens can do that, explode in the heat. You never know when its going to happen.[He turned tail and ran before the man could grasp the tiny detail that it was only 25C, not nearly hot enough to explode any kind of farm animal]
- The Doctor coining a name for his Timey Wimey Detector:The Doctor: Well, I need to visit the electronics shops. In addition to the recorder and autocue, I want to build a timey-wimey detector.Martha Jones: [to Rose] Hes been using that phrase non-stop. Because apparently this brilliant Time Lord cant think of any better explanation than "a big ball of timey-wimey stuff.[The Doctor sniffed, and Rose hid her smile behind her teacup. Sure, it had taken her longer to wake up than usual, but she was feeling more like herself with every minute]Rose Tyler: What will your timey-wimey detector do, Doctor?The Doctor: Itll help us track down Billy Shipton, since we don't have an address where he'll show up.Rose Tyler: An how are we gonna know when Billy shows up? Will your gizmo ding or something?The Doctor: Oh, thats a brilliant idea! I always like a nice ding.
- Martha mutters under her breath, Absolutely bonkers, both of you."
- Martha isn't happy about how Sally Sparrow's transcript locks her down to working in a shop. This being right after three months as a fobbed John and Rose's maid, it's understandable:Martha Jones: So I guess I get to go job hunting tomorrow.The Doctor: Take the psychic paper and show it to them if they ask for your CV. You shouldnt have any problem getting a job.Martha Jones: Yeah, thats not really whats bothering me. That transcript said Id be working in a shop. Couldnt I do something else, like secretarial work? My typing is pretty decent, though I dont know shorthand.The Doctor: [shakes his head] The transcript locks us into a causality loop. Sally Sparrow wrote down that youre working in a shop because you said you worked in a shop.Martha Jones: [sighs] I guess its better than maid work.Rose Tyler: I could always be the one paying our way.Martha Jones: [shakes her head] Then what would I do? Sit around the flat with the Doctor all day while he tries to build a video camera out of dental floss and chewing gum? Hed drive me mad. [She took a drink of her beer] Besides, I bet it would cause just as much of a timey-wimey problem if you worked instead of me as it would if I did something besides working in a shop.The Doctor: I truly am sorry, Martha, but youre not the only one whos constrained by what the transcript says. Do you think I wouldnt rather call up some old friends of mine and see if I couldnt track myself down and get us a ride home? Id love to, but the transcript says I build a video recorder and autocue, so thats what I get to do. [shrugs] The way time worked, I probably wouldnt have any luck if I did try to get us a ride, and then Id be right back where I started, making an autocue.
LARRY: "Of course he cant hear us. Look, Ive got a transcript. See? Everything he says. Yup, thats me. Yes, I do. Yup, and this. Next its"The Doctor: [exasperated] Are you going to read out the whole thing?LARRY: "Sorry."SALLY: "Who are you?"The Doctor: [nods] Im a time traveller. [shrugs] Or I was. Im stuck in 1969.[Rose stepped into the framethe next line was hers]Rose Tyler: I prefer temporarily grounded to stuck. [The Doctor shook his head and smiled at her]The Doctor: It doesnt have nearly the ring thoughTemporarily grounded with you, Rose Tyler? [back to the camera] This is my wife, by the way. Rose Tyler.Rose Tyler: [waves] Hello! [she stepped out of the camera, to make room for Martha]Martha Jones: Well, temporarily grounded or stuck, were still in 1969, and Im working in a shop to pay our wayall because the transcript says that I said I did. And I tried to get the Doctor to let me say something different, but he was all, "Do you want to cause a paradox, Martha Jones? [She shot the Doctor a wry smile before stepping out of the frame to stand with Rose, who pointed at the autocue to redirect the Doctors attention]SALLY: "Ive seen this bit before."
- She even gripes about it in the video itself:
- After the Doctor, Rose and Martha pick up Billy Shipton, they take him to a curry place for dinner and thumb through Sally's photos from Wester Drumlins. Billy is understandably overwhelmed by the complex nature of time travel and being locked down into a loop, making some epic faces.The Doctor: Speaking of cars, I dont suppose youve seen an old police box?Billy Shipton: I have, as a matter of fact. I only showed it to Sally Sparrow a few hours agoright before I ended up in that alley.Rose Tyler: [laughs] Thats our well, its ours. The Doctor has been counting on it turning up, since its mentioned at the end of the transcript of the conversation with Sally and Larry, but it feels good to know someone has seen her more recently than we have.[Billy pushed back from the table and dropped his fork onto his plate]Billy Shipton: There isnt a key, though. Ive tried to get into it for six months, and nothing will open it.Rose Tyler: Sally Sparrow had the key. Marthas fell out of her pocket when we were transported here, and one of the angels picked it up. Sally took it from them and gave it back to us in the folder along with all the information.Billy Shipton: [picks up and reads Sallys detailed report] So the day I see her again is the day I die.The Doctor: Oh, dont think about it like that! Youve got years to go before then, a whole life to live. Another Sally to meet.Billy Shipton: And I cant call her up before then becauseThe Doctor: Welllll, you could, only it would tear a hole in the fabric of space and time and destroy two-thirds of the universe. [Rose glared at the Doctor, and he ducked his head apologetically] Sorry.Billy Shipton: [laughs in disbelief] I think I need a place to stay for the night.Martha Jones: You can sleep on our couch.
- When they're parting ways with Billy after making the video, Billy says, "Apparently, I need to be on the lookout for a lady named Sally."
- Following their visit to Sally and Larry, the Doctor plans to take Rose and Martha to Midnight. But when he lands, the TARDIS has instead taken them to Hawaii. Martha's more pleased at that:Martha Jones: Okay, for once, I love that your ship never lands where you tell her to.
- When Jack is summoning Team TARDIS to Cardiff by calling Rose:Rose Tyler: Jack says to tell you its Election Day. He wants to know where he should meet us.The Doctor: Perfect. We wont spoil the election results for Martha.
- Jack's recap to Martha of how he became immortal on the Game Station:Martha Jones: So, you used to travel with the Doctor?Jack Harkness: I still would be, if it werent for the Daleks. [From her swiftly indrawn breath, Jack gathered that the newest companion had already met the Doctors oldest enemy] See, we were transmatted to this satellite called the Game Stationimagine a studio where all your favourite reality shows are filmed, only if you lose, instead of being kicked out of the house or whatever, you die.Martha Jones: Sometimes I think thats what reality shows are going to be in the future.
Jack Harkness: All right, so I bounced. I thought 21st century, the best place to find the Doctor, except that I got it a little wrong. Arrived in 1869, this thing burnt out, so it was useless.The Doctor: Told you.Rose Tyler: Oh, hush, let Jack tell his story without reminding everyone how much better your equipment is than his.The Doctor: Oi! Dyou mind not coming on to my bond mate while Im standing right here?["Bond mate?" Jack blinked at the term. He knew the Doctor was telepathic, and he knew what bonding meant to a telepathic race. He filed the information aside to think about later and shot a suggestive grin at the Doctor.]Jack Harkness: Does that mean I can come on to her when youre not standing right there?The Doctor: Well, I know she wont take you up on the offer, and at least then I wouldnt have to listen to it.Jack Harkness: [grins] You know, normally Id be offended that you think shes so immune to my charms, but I happen to know youre right.
- Also a true Jack gem is him learning that the Doctor and Rose are telepathically linked now:
- Rose's reaction to seeing the Master getting a campaign endorsement from Ann Widdecombe: Figures the Master would be a Tory.
- Jack, commenting about the Doctor and Rose's sex life while they're hiding from the Master as they make out whilst waiting for Martha to come back with food:Jack Harkness: As gorgeous as this isand it is, you two have no idea how sexy you areyou should probably stop before you give my fantasies any more material.[Rose hid her red cheeks against the Doctors chest, and he glared at the captain over the top of her head]The Doctor: Jack-Jack Harkness: [grinning] Hey, Im not the one who spent the last ten minutes snogging my wife, completely ignoring the fact that there was someone else in the room. [He looked pointedly at his watch] Besides, Martha should be back any minute, and Id be willing to bet that she wants to see you two going at it about as much as you want me to see it.
- Subsequently, so that Martha can't hear them, the Doctor uses his sonic screwdriver to create a noise bubble around his and Rose's sleeping bag.
- When the Doctor and Rose are captured trying to confront the Master on the Valiant, Rose at one point curses at the Master in an alien language, and her language is so foul that the TARDIS translation circuits refuse to translate them into English. The Master shakes it off:The Master: Was that Atreyun? Im not sure what you just suggested is even possible for a race that excretes their waste through their skin, so I applaud the linguistic effort it took to translate that curse into their language.
- The Doctor and Rose are subject to brunch with the Master before they're taken to their cells. The conversation is as awkwardly stiff as one would expect between the two Time Lords and their wives.
The Master: Please, eat your fill. The guards will take you to the rooms I prepared for you when youre done. [He paused at the door] They do have instructions to shoot you if you try to touch. Bye-bye!
- The Master's idea of brunch: "The traditional English fry-up. There are a few things to recommend this backwater planet youre so fond of, Doctor.
- As the Master gets up to leave:
- Rose's efforts to be as irritating as possible to the Master, as she shows off two weeks into the Year that Never Was when he visits her cell:The Master: I hope I didnt keep you waiting. This whole ruling a planet business is actually more work than I thought it would be.The Master: How have you found your accommodations? I did leave instructions with the guards to give you anything you asked for, except of course for the key to the door.Rose Tyler: [gestures to the pile of books stacked up on her desk] Ive been using the time to catch up on a little reading.The Master: Excellent. [The Master tapped his fingers against the books in the four-beat rhythm Rose had come to hate] What about sleeping? I assume your bed is comfortable enough, since youve been sleeping over eight hours a night, like an ordinary human. [Rose forced her features to remain even. The last thing she wanted was for the Master to discover his interference with the TARDIS had affected her own health]Rose Tyler: Well, as you keep pointing out, Im only a hybrid, after all. [She narrowed her eyes] Why are you being so considerate?The Master: I just think hospitality is a lost art, don't you?Rose Tyler: Youve got a different definition of hospitality than Ive ever heard. For one, what kind of host splits a couple up into separate rooms? [The Master's lips turned into a pout]The Master: I thought you would understand the limitations put on me by the unique situation.Rose Tyler: The unique situation being that youve wrongfully imprisoned both of us? Yeah, that doesnt make me feel very understanding.
The Master: Well, if thats what you think, Ill just skip over the pleasantries and get straight to my purpose. [He crossed his arms over his chest and leaned against the wall] Why did the Doctor send Martha Jones away on Day Zero?Rose Tyler: [laughs bitterly] Youve gotta be kidding me. Marthas our friend. Why wouldnt he send her away from the resident psychopath?
- Fed up, the Master decides to drop the pleasantries:
- At Christmas, the Master decides to regale the Doctor with the story of how he tried to split the Doctor up from Rose at Canary Wharf by becoming a traitorous advisor to Yvonne Hartman:The Master: ...Of course, that was also when I discovered the existence of Torchwood. Because the weapon that shot down the Sycorax? That was far superior to anything humans should have for another hundred years. So I did some digging, and imagine my delight when I learned there was an entire agency on your favourite planet devoted to protecting Britain from you.The Doctor: Had the Void ship already arrived in this world when you first visited Torchwood?The Master: [shakes his head] That happened shortly after. They knew the weak spot was there, of course, since thats why they built the tower in the first place.The Doctor: Why didnt you tell them what it was when it appeared?The Master: Because, Doctor, there is a difference between advanced information a human might possess, and the kind of information that makes Torchwood suspect youre an alien. I realize subtlety isnt exactly your thing, but surely even you can understand that.The Doctor: [raises an eyebrow] Are you really going to lecture me on being subtle, Master? Have you forgotten the time you called yourself Dr. Harcourt Death?
ADC Dexter: [salutes the Master] Sir. [The Master leaned back in his chair and smiled at her, then looked at the Doctor]The Master: See? A gorgeous young lady in uniformone of the perks of power. Why would I want anything else? [Anger suffused the Doctors face, and the Master rolled his eyes. Had the Doctor always been this boring? Werent renegades supposed to push the boundaries of rules and the law? Wasnt that part of the definition?] Have a seat, Dexter. [He poured a cup of tea and slid it over to her] And please keep sir-ing me like that. If you do it often enough, Ill promote you to queen. [He tapped his chin] There must be somewhere that needs a queen. Ill look into it.[She sipped her tea and didnt smile]The Master: You arent smiling. That means something has happened. What have you got for me? Not all bad news, I hope?[Dexter pushed a strand of straight blonde hair back over her ear]ADC Dexter: Some bad news, Im afraid, sir. [This time, the sir didnt thrill him the way it had a moment ago]
- In the middle of this one-on-one, the meeting is interrupted when the Master's ADC walks in to inform him about the Drast controlling Japan.
- With one day to go until the rockets launch, the Master outlines his plans to The Doctor. The Doctor, of course, isn't impressed, so the Master goes to Rose's cell and pouts about it to her like a child:The Master: Your bond mate doesnt seem properly impressed by my plan.The Master: This is one of my better plans though. Tomorrow, the rockets launch. The new Time Lord empire will begin by destroying anyone who stands in my way.Rose Tyler: Im sure its very impressive. And next year, maybe you can go to the annual conference of psychotic dictators and present your paper on how you destroyed the Earth in five easy steps. Until then, youll have to live with peoples disapproval.
- When the Master has Rose brought to the bridge of the Valiant, the Doctor casts Rose an assuring smile to let her know he'll remove the telepathic dampening choker the Master placed on her once they've defeated him. The smile lasts long enough that the Master has to break in saying, "Do you mind? This is supposed to be my moment of triumph, and your smiling is ruining it.
- While the Doctor has the Master cornered, the Master tries to use Martha's Vortex manipulator to teleport away, but Rose manages to notice him and kicks the manipulator out of his hands.Rose Tyler: Leaving so soon, Harry? But you were the one who invited us here!The Doctor, whod spun back around when he heard the Vortex manipulator skitter across the deck, smiled brilliantly at her.The Doctor: Im afraid, Master, that youve fallen victim to one of the classic blunders. Never underestimate Rose Tyler.
Rose Tyler: Come on, Harry, how many times are we going to do this bit where you try to run away and I stop you?
- After the Paradox Machine is destroyed, whilst the Doctor is distracted talking to Martha and Francine, the Master tries again to make a break for it, only for Rose to this time stop him and punch him in the face.
Jack Harkness: Oh, I see how it is, you send me to take care of the paradox machine so you can play with handcuffs.
- Jack returns just as Rose is putting the cuffs on the Master:
- The Sequel Hook with Dalek Caan: as he looks through all of time and space at once, he decides that while the multiverse is at stake, the Doctor and Rose are too traumatized to do anything from a year in the Master's captivity so he'll give them a break.
"The Most Wonderful Time of the Year"
- "Time Crash" opens this fic. Rose being added to the mix and having everything happen from her POV? Well, let's just say she finds the whole thing hilarious, watching the Doctor get annoyed with himself.Five: Rose, do I always go on like this, ranting about every single thing that happens to be in front of me?Rose Tyler: Im afraid so, Doctor. [She tilted her head and looked at both versions of her bond mate] Wait a minute, how do you know who I am?Five: If theres one person in the universe I will always recognise on sight, Rose Tyler, its you. [The pinstriped Doctor grunted in annoyance, and the younger Doctor took her hand and pressed a kiss to it] I might not always recognise myself, or other friends, but a bond couldnt be mistaken for anything else.Rose Tyler: But have we met before?Five: That would be telling, my dear.
Five: ...The explosion cancels out the implosion.Rose Tyler: Pressure remains constant.Ten: Youre brilliant. [picks her up and swings her around in the air]Five: Far too brilliant. Ive never met anyone else who could fly the TARDIS like that.[They both looked at Rose with stars in their eyes. She blushed and pushed a strand of hair back over her ear]Ten: Thats Rose.Five: You didnt have time to work all that out. Even I couldnt do it.Rose Tyler: [shakes her head] I didnt need to work it out. The TARDIS, she told me what to do.Ten: [pats the Time Rotor] Rose and the TARDIS have a very special relationship. Its hard to explain, but the benefits are obvious.Five: But what about you? You knew what was going to happen, too. [Understanding dawned a moment later] You remembered being me watching Rose doing that. You already knew what she was going to do because I saw her do it.
- Rose takes the opportunity of the two Doctors bickering (and Ten fanboying over Five) to fix the problem herself:
Rose Tyler: Right but you didnt say that if we met younger versions of you, theyd recognise me.The Doctor: Well, first off, I think we need to assume that this was not the first time I had met us, even though it was the first time weve met me.Rose Tyler: Yeah, I picked up on that, too. But he said at the end that he forgets, and yet he knew me right away.The Doctor: Marriage bonds are trans-temporal. Any time I meet you once we have a bond, I will feel your side of the bond call to me.Rose Tyler: Then how come you didnt recognise me in Henriks? [The lines on her forehead cleared before he could answer] Oh! You didnt know me when I met you the first time, because I hadnt bonded with you yet.The Doctor: Right! Of course, every time I meet you before I met you [The Doctor let that sentence trail off, snorting at the absolute ridiculousness of it] Anyway, if I meet you as my bond mate before I meet you properly in my ninth incarnation, I have to hide the memories so I dont ruin my own timeline. One thing Id never want to ruin is the way I met you, Rose.[Rose looked up at him, a soft smile on her face]Rose Tyler: You said just one word. [The Doctor reached for her hand.]The Doctor: I said, "Run.[She stretched up, and the Doctor bent his head to kiss her. He sighed at the warm pressure of her lips against his. His fifth self had been absolutely enamoured with her, of course, as he suspected every Doctor who met her would be. But he was the Doctor who knew her; he was the Doctor who was married to her. Rose pulled away from his kiss and smirked up at him]Rose Tyler: [teasingly] Bit silly, being jealous of your own self.The Doctor: So youre saying that if we went back to, say, early 2005, and I met you before I met you, you wouldnt be jealous of your younger self?Rose Tyler: Nope. Because that nineteen-year-old girl would be just weeks away from meeting the most amazing man in the universe, who would totally sweep her off her feet. As long as he remembers to tell her that his ship also travels in time.[The Doctor leaned down to kiss her again, but the TARDIS shook and a ships horn blared through the console room, interrupting the tender moment. Rose and the Doctor looked up behind them at the prow of a ship, protruding through the walls of the TARDIS]The Doctor: What? [The dust settled, and he spotted a life preserver. He crawled to it and flipped it over, a rock settling in his stomach when he read the name. Titanic] Whaaaat?! [Rose joined him on the floor and started laughing when she read it]Rose Tyler: Well, the TARDIS does travel in time.
- Ten explaining to Rose how this whole Stable Time Loop and Time Lord bonding thing works: bonding with a Time Lord means you're bonded to every one of their regenerations, even the ones prior to him meeting Rose in Henrik's.
- The Doctor is so stunned by the Edwardian-era dress that Rose picks out that he can't resist the urge to make out passionately with her. Which earns them a scolding from one of the stewards.Steward: I beg your pardon, sir, but if youre going to engage in behaviour like that, Ill have to ask you to return to your stateroom.[For a few seconds, the Doctor contemplated doing exactly that. They might not have a stateroom, but their bedroom was close enough to count, right? But then he heard Roses muffled snort and knew from her laughter that the moment was gone. And while he was fairly confident he could bring it back, he wanted to give her the party shed been looking forward to]The Doctor: Quite right. Sorry about that. I just got a little carried away when I saw how beautiful my wife looks tonight.Steward: She is lovely, but all the same, I must ask you to maintain the decorum that would have been expected on the original Titanics maiden voyage. A chaste kiss is acceptable; kisses that seem to be a prelude to indecent acts are not.[The Doctor nodded sharply, then spun around and walked offand good thing, too, because Rose couldnt restrain her laughter any longer]Rose Tyler: "Indecent acts! That was worse than the hayride driver on our honeymoon, with his no canoodling rule. I havent been hand-checked on a dance floor since I was fifteen.
- The Doctor and Rose take a month off at one point to tour England in 1969. On their last weekend, they stay in a holiday cottage on the Isle of Wight not too far from the one they stayed in when they took their anniversary vacation two years prior. Since that was only a week ago for the locals, Rose cracks up as she speculates that the locals probably think they're "some posh couple with too much money who can afford to take a holiday every other weekend".
- While on the beach, musing, the Doctor and Rose begin making out, and it's only when an elderly couple walk by and cast pointed glances at them that they consider their surroundings.
"Forever and Never Apart"
- During "Partners in Crime," when the Doctor and Rose are infiltrating Adipose Industries for the second day, Rose wears a hat to hide her face from the cameras:The Doctor: So, whats with the hat?Rose Tyler: Well, if I ran a company that was doing something as shady as turning my customers into a breeding ground for an alien species, Id be on the lookout for any suspicious behaviour. Like, for instance, someone who claimed to be a temp and then disappeared after only a few hours.The Doctor: Ahhh. Very clever.Rose Tyler: I have my moments. [She giggled when the Doctor tickled her ribs for copying his line] The hats making my head itch, though. [She took it off and shook her hair out, letting it fall back around her shoulders]The Doctor: Oi! Hair in my mouth!
- After running into Donna, as she accompanies the Doctor and Rose down to the closet where Miss Foster's inducer is located, Donna takes a moment to comment on the lighting being so reminiscent of the Racnoss' lair.Donna Noble: Oh, this looks familiar. I know what you meant now, Rose. Mood lighting.Rose Tyler: [grins] I think its part of the Secret Lair DIY kit.
- When confronting Miss Foster, she brings up Rose being the temp who so abruptly disappeared.
- Mickey when he prepares to use the dimension cannon for the first time: he asks Jake Simmonds and Dr. Malcolm Taylor, Youre sure youve got the telemetry fixed? Im not going to end up in that universe where the Nazis won the war again, am I?
- When Donna says she wants to go to Ancient Rome, the Doctor and Rose have a moment telling Donna about the events of The Stone Rose:The Doctor: Hopefully this trip will be a little less eventful than that one.Donna Noble: Why? What happened the last time you went to Rome?Donna Noble: You were turned into statues?The Doctor: We got better!
- Whilst hanging out with Caecilius's family, Metalla offers Rose and Donna new clothes, noting something the Doctor failed to consider:Metella: Thank you for trying to help. Could I offer you something in return? [She looked at them for a moment, then brightened] New clothes, perhaps? With a palla to drape over your hair, so you will be properly attired.[Donna choked. Shed watched enough period dramas to understand what Metella was trying to hint at delicately]Donna Noble: That that git! [Rose burst into a fit of giggles] Like Soho," he said! Not one word about how people would think we were prossies.Rose Tyler: So, like Soho twenty years ago.
- After "The Fires of Pompeii," the Doctor and Rose can't help but start making out over breakfast in the TARDIS. They don't even notice Donna come in until she loudly shouts "Good morning!" then adds, "I know this is your home, but I think we need to make a list of places I dont want to catch you snogging. Scratch that, Id rather not catch you snogging anywhere. The Doctor promptly tries to unsuccessfully flatten his hair from its unkempt look, much to Donna's amusement.
- Donna is one of the first to note Rose acting more and more like the Doctor, as happens when Rose suggests she take a turn at piloting the TARDIS:Rose Tyler: Donna Noble, what would you like to do today? [Donna snorted and pointed from Rose to the Doctor]Donna Noble: Do you know how much you sound like him sometimes?The Doctor: Oi! [The Doctor sniffed and adjusted the knot on his burgundy tie] I dont know why you say that like its a bad thing.Donna Noble: Maybe not all the time, Spaceman, but we really only need one over-the-top alien on this ship.
The Doctor: All right. The very first thing Im going to teach you is how to move through the Time Vortex. Thats where we are right now.Donna Noble: What is the Vortex?The Doctor: Too complicated to explain to someone who doesnt have an advanced understanding of temporal mechanics.[Rose cleared her throat and shook her head when the Doctor looked up at her. He shrugged and gestured, as if to say, "If youd like to explain " She nodded sharply, then smiled at Donna]Rose Tyler: The Time Vortex is the fifth dimension, Donna. Its a physical space that encompasses time. Picture it like Kings Cross Station.The Doctor: [snorts] Been reading Harry Potter again, Rose?Rose Tyler: Oi! It works. [She looked at Donna again] So, there are twelve platforms at Kings Cross, right? Plus, from there you can get to almost every line on the Tube.Donna Noble: So the Vortex is like a hub.The Doctor: I take it back, Rosethats a rather brilliant analogy.Rose Tyler: [preening] Why thank you.The Doctor: [to Donna] So, following that explanation, what we do when were ready to leave the Vortex is navigate through it until we find the right platform. Thats the part I want to teach you today.
- To explain what it's like to fly the TARDIS, the Doctor and Rose explain the mechanics using a railway station analogy:
- Martha's introduction to Donna at the start of "The Sontaran Strategem":Martha Jones: You must be the new companion. Im MarthaMartha Jones.Donna Noble: Donna Noble. Lovely to meet someone else mad enough to travel with these two.The Doctor and Rose Tyler: Oi!Martha Jones: [grins] Oh, I like you, Donna.The Doctor: So, Martha, we were wondering on our way here if youd taken your exams yet. [To his surprise, a secretive smile flitted across her face]Martha Jones: Not exactly...
- Martha introduces the Doctor and Rose to Colonel Mace, with it being noted that Rose's role as the Doctor's grounding influence has made it into the UNIT files.Martha Jones: Operation Blue Sky complete, sir. Thanks for letting me take the lead. And, this is the Doctor and Rose Tyler. Doctor, Rose; Colonel Mace.Colonel Mace: Sir, Maam. [Colonel Mace snapped to attention and saluted]The Doctor: Oh, dont salute.Colonel Mace: But its an honour, sir. Ive read all the files on you. [to Rose] The Brigadier was very impressed when he met you, maam. Said you were the perfect partner for the Doctor. "The only one who can keep up with him, and rein in his more harebrained schemes," I believe were the exact words he used.[The Doctor was torn between indignation over the characterisation of his adventures, amusement at his old friends words, and pride in Rose. In the end, he settled for rolling his eyes, just as Colonel Mace looked back at him]
Rose Tyler: Theres really no need to call the Doctor sir, Colonel. Im sure the Brig told you we dont like to stand on ceremony. Our names are finethe Doctor and Rose. [He hesitated a moment, then nodded slowly]Colonel Mace: Sir Alistair did say something along those lines. Something about the Doctor not appreciating all the military folderol. [Roses humour brightened the Doctors mood]Rose Tyler: Thats a fairly accurate representation.
- Rose speaks up to keep the Doctor from getting too hostile with Colonel Mace for the whole militarization of UNIT:
- Martha gets a moment to make fun of the Doctor and Rose being not so attuned to Earth technology. Something Donna commiserates with her over:Rose Tyler: Whats ATMOS?Donna Noble: Oh, come on. Even I know that. Everyones got ATMOS.Rose Tyler: We dont exactly have a car.Martha Jones: [chuckles] You know, Id forgotten how much you could sound like him sometimes.Donna Noble: [grins] Oh, I told her that just this morning! Finally, someone else who can see it, too.The Doctor: [raises his hand] All right! I wont askagainwhats so bad about sounding like me. Instead, Ill just point out that so far, no one has actually answered our question about what ATMOS is. It seems like this is a bit time sensitive, if anyone would like to get on that?
- Rose, when Colonel Mace wonders why she and the Doctor aren't using the TARDIS to get to the Rattigan Academy.Colonel Mace: According to the records you travel by TARDIS.Rose Tyler: We do, but shes not really a London Hoppershes more a long-haul vehicle. Plus, to be honest Colonel, if Luke Rattigan is involved in the mess here, Id like to keep the TARDIS as far from him as possible. I know too many geniuses. Hed probably try to take her apart.
- When taking Jenny into the TARDIS, the Doctor and Rose are so accustomed to the "It's bigger on the inside" punchline that new companions make when they first set foot in the TARDIS, that the two of them, plus Martha and Donna, stand like an audience as they wait for Jenny to say the line.Rose Tyler: Are you ready for this? [she fitted her key into the lock. Jenny looked at the blue box, then at the four other people who were waiting to step inside]Jenny: I feel like theres a joke Im not getting.Rose Tyler: [winks] Oh, there is, but the punchline is all yours. [She pushed the door open, then moved to stand with the Doctor while Jenny took her first steps into the TARDIS]Jenny: But thats [Jenny stood on the ramp and turned in a slow circle] ...Shes bigger on the inside![She blinked when everyone laughed at those familiar words, and Rose was the first to step forward and hug her]Rose Tyler: Trust me, we all felt like you do the first time we stepped inside. Except maybe the Doctor, and he grew up around TARDISes, so it wasnt a surprise to him.The Doctor: No, but I still thought she was the most beautiful thing Id ever seen.
- Jenny being born from a progenation machine leads to plenty of priceless Fish out of Water moments.
- The Doctor and Rose decide to pass Rose off as Jenny's mother even though the soldiers on Messaline didn't take any DNA samples from Rose to progenate for Jenny. Thing is, despite being a technical infant, Jenny's got the body of a 23 year old, about the same age that Rose is in human years. The obvious logistical flaw this results in happens right away in "The Unicorn and the Wasp", when the Doctor is introducing himself and his entourage to Lady Eddison. Lady Eddison is quick to point out that Rose looks too young to be Jenny's mother.Lady Eddison: You cant possibly be old enough to be this young womans mother, Mrs. Tyler.Rose Tyler: [smiles] Trust me, my lady, Im older than I look. My physician makes a special tonic that Ive taken every day since I met him.note
- The exchange becomes funnier after it's revealed Lady Eddison is no stranger to strange romances and offspring, having sired an illegitimate son as a result of her affair with a Vespiform.
- The initial crime scene investigation into Professor Peach's murder gets a few zingers added in thanks to the addition of Rose and Jenny to the mix:Jenny: So maybe were not here for the jewel thief after all.The Doctor: So it would seem, Jenny.Donna Noble: Hold on. The Body in the Library? [He immediately recognised the words as the title of an Agatha Christie novel, but he had a feeling that wasnt Donnas point. She shook her head, but there was an excited gleam in her eyes] I mean, Professor Peach, in the library, with the lead piping?Jenny: Thats like that game we played the other night, Dad. Cluedo?[The remaining guests and their hosts crowded into the small room before the Doctor could answer either womans question. Lady Eddison was beside herself, and the entire party exclaimed, in restrained terms, over how horrible the death was]Agatha Christie: Someone should call the police. [The Doctor shook his head. If the TARDIS had dropped them here on purpose, there was a good chance the situation was more than a human policeman could handle. He showed the psychic paper again, focusing primarily on Agatha Christie]The Doctor: You dont have to. Chief Inspector Tyler from Scotland Yard, known as the Doctor. My family and I are on holiday, but it appears death doesnt take a holiday. [Rose snorted softly, and he winked at her]Lady Eddison: I say... [The Doctor met her questioning gaze with a steady one of his own]The Doctor: Mrs. Christie was right. Go into the sitting room. I will question each of you in turn.Agatha Christie: Come along. [She ushered everyone out of the room] Do as the Doctor says. Leave the room undisturbed. [As soon as they had the room to themselves again, the Doctor got down on the floor in front of the body, while Rose bent down and patted at the professors pockets. There had to be something they were missing ]Jenny: When we said we were going to a party, I wasnt expecting wed find a dead body. I mean the other adventures weve had, weve been thrown right in from the start.Rose Tyler: Its like that sometimes, Jenny. We go to a party, thinking were just going to have a bit of fun, and then something happens.Donna Noble: Although this is the first time the adventure has been anything as mundane as a murder mystery, Donna added. [The Doctor spotted a drop of slime on the floor]The Doctor: Maybe not so mundane. [He scraped some of the slime up. He jumped up and showed it to the three of them] Morphic residue.Rose Tyler: The stuff shape-shifting aliens leave behind when they change form?The Doctor: Exactly.Jenny: [excitedly] The murderers an alien?The Doctor: [nods] Which means one of that lot is an alien in human form.Donna Noble: Yeah, but think about it. [Donna put her hand on his shoulder] Theres a murder, a mystery, and Agatha Christie.The Doctor: So? Happens to me all the time. [He sniffed the residue and then stuck it under Roses nose]Rose Tyler: Smells like burnt toast.The Doctor: Which means our murderer is an insectoid though that doesnt narrow it down much.Donna Noble: Like I was saying...[her blue eyes narrowed in determination as she pressed her point] Agatha Christie didnt walk around surrounded by murders. Not really. I mean, thats like meeting Charles Dickens and hes surrounded by ghosts at Christmas.Rose Tyler: Weve done that actually. And Shakespeare and witches.Donna Noble: Oh, come on! [Donna rolled her eyes] And I suppose now youre going to tell me we could drive across country and find Enid Blyton having tea with Noddy. [Rose kept a straight face, and Donnas jaw dropped] Noddys not real. Is he? Tell me theres no Noddy! [The Doctor bent down to look her in the eyes]The Doctor: Theres no Noddy. [He jogged out of the room]Rose Tyler: Sorry, Donna, but they cant all be real.Donna Noble: I suppose.Jenny: Who's Noddy? [Rose and Donna laughed]Rose Tyler: Hes a character in a series of books. Weve got them on the TARDISyou can read them later. [Donna grabbed them both by the hand]Donna Noble: Come on, lets go after the Doctor, before he gets into alien trouble without us.
- The "spoilers" conversation that the Doctor and Rose overhear Melody having with Anita about them not being the Doctor and Rose she's acquainted with. Evidently, at Melody's last Christmas before coming to the Library, Jackie spiked the punch with ginger trying to get the Doctor drunk, "because it just isnt fair that [the Doctor] doesnt get drunk like the rest of us." When she tries to apologize for accidentally giving this Doctor and Rose knowledge of their futures, the Doctor gives her a reassuring hug.The Doctor: Its fine, Melody. A little foreknowledge wont damage the timelines.Melody Pond: Yeah?
Melody Pond: And I didnt muck up the timelines too much? I know I gave you some future information.Rose Tyler: Not that much. And the Doctor kept his promise and let Mum get him drunk at Christmas last year, even though he could taste the ginger. [The Doctor pouted, and both women giggled]The Doctor: Im just glad we have that hangover cure. I would not have been happy if Id had to go through the whole of Boxing Day with someone trying to pound a drum through my skull.
- The conversation Melody has with her Doctor and Rose after she returns home to her flat at Andromeda University tells us just how things turned out:
- In "Forest of the Dead," Rose invokes Bad Wolf and her connection to the TARDIS to scare away the Vashta Nerada. The Doctor is both terrified and turned on by her display of power. So while preparing to wire the TARDIS to the Library's mainframe:The Doctor: You were terrifying and sexy as hell. The way you took charge and stared down the Vashta Nerada Im still trying to figure out how I can be absolutely petrified and completely turned on at the same time.
[Rose finally recognised the desire burning hot over the bond. It was so entwined with his fear that the sensations had merged to feel like something new and differentsomething she hadnt been able to name until hed explained it. It was a heady combination. But for now, she wanted to ease his fear. She was fineshe knew that instinctively. Rose watched him work, saw how hard he was focusing on what he was doing, and she knew how to shake him out of his fear. She hopped out of the jump seat and leaned on a smooth section of the console only a few inches away from where he was working. The Doctors hands stilled and she reached over to touch his arm]Rose Tyler: [breathy] Well if youre debating which one to act on [She trailed her fingers down his arm]The Doctor: [squeaky] Rose! Were in the middle of saving four thousand people.
- Chapter 32, "The Doctor of Christmas Yet to Come", a chapter which provides an early appearance from the Twelfth Doctor, and the awkwardness that ensues when Ten catches Rose making out with Twelve. Oh, and a younger Rose helping a stressed Twelve pick out a Christmas present for her future self.
- The Doctor, Rose, Donna and Jenny go to the Shadow Proclamation after the Earth is stolen.
Shadow Architect: Who is the female?Rose Tyler: Im Rose. Rose Tyler. Other half of the Stuff of Legend. [She looked over her shoulder at the Doctor, an eyebrow arched] Blimey, theyre a little behind the times around here, arent they?The Doctor: [resisting the urge to laugh] Apparently...Jenny: [steps forward] And Im Jenny Tyler. Im their daughter.Donna Noble: [angrily] Yeah, I notice you didnt ask about us. Im Donna, by the way. Im a human being. Maybe not the stuff of legend, but every bit as important as Time Lords, thank you.The Shadow Architect: [to the Doctor] You travel with an entourage, Time Lord.The Doctor: [blithely] Oh, Im just the chauffeur.
- As they study the list of missing planets, it's clear the Shadow Architect is not up to date about the Doctor now being a family man with a wife, daughter, and surrogate sister, from the way she ignores them until Rose speaks.
Rose Tyler: Well it seems Im not quite legendary enough for my input to be sought after. Come on, lets sit on the steps like the peasants we obviously are.
- Rose tries to chime in while the Doctor and the Shadow Architect are putting together the map of the stolen planets, but is constantly frozen out of the conversation by the Architect. Noticing Donna and Jenny awkwardly standing on the sidelines, she sits next to them to commiserate.
- When Mickey rescues Wilf and Sylvia from a Dalek trying to kill them, Wilf is trying to subdue it with a paint gun (which isn't working because the Dalek can burn the paint off its eyestalk). Mickey shoots it dead, and then Wilf holds up the paint gun and asks, "Do you want to swap?
Jack Harknes: What the [Jack was sitting on the floor ten feet away from where Mickey had materialised, but he jumped to his feet when he heard the new voice. His eyes widened when he saw who had joined them] Well, if it isnt Mickey Mouse!Mickey Smith: [grins] You can talk, Captain Cheesecake! [Jack laughed and swept him into a hug]Jack Harkness: Its good to see youand thats Beefcake.[Mickey groaned and pushed away from Jack just as another man cleared his throat. He looked over Jacks shoulder to find a surprisingly familiar face]Mickey Smith: Well, the parallel version of Ianto Jones. [Even after five years, meeting a parallel version of someone he knew in a different universe threw him]Ianto Jones: [perplexed] You seem to be implying that youre from a parallel universe, but multiversal theory suggests that if other universes exist, they are completely separate from each other.Mickey Smith: [snorts] Definitely parallel Ianto. Yeah, thats the way its supposed to be, but when reality starts to fall apart, well, apparently the walls between the universes are the first things to go.Jack Harkness: Ianto Jones, meet Mickey Smith. Mickey and I go way back, to my days before Torchwood.
- Mickey squeeing as he's introduced to the rest of Torchwood Three's team, having worked with their parallel universe counterparts in Pete's World. Especially Ianto.
- As Sarah Jane is captured and taken to the Crucible, she shakes her head in displeasure at the fact that the Daleks havent updated their interior decorating in the years since shed last encountered them on Skaro.
- Mickey reunites with Rose, the Doctor, Jack, Donna and Jenny on the London street at the end of "The Stolen Earth". Him being introduced to Jenny, and Jack being introduced to Donna, leads to some priceless gems:Mickey Smith: So, Boss, I think a few introductions might be in order.The Doctor: Right, yes. [The Doctor pressed his tongue to the back of his teeth and nodded once]Jack Harkness: [to Donna and Jenny] Captain Jack Harkness. Pleasure to finally meet you in person, Ginger.The Doctor: Jack [The Doctor pinched the bridge of his nose. The whole exchange was just so predictable and boring]Donna Noble: Oh, Rose has told me about you.The Doctor: Of course she has. [Jenny tilted her head and studied him for a moment, then she turned to the Doctor]Jenny: I dont understand. In all the stories, Jack is your friend. So why dont you sound like you want us to get to know him, Dad?Mickey Smith and Jack Harkness: [in unison] Dad?[Rose laughed harder, then moved over to Jenny, putting her hands on her shoulders]Rose Tyler: Mickey, JackId like you to meet our daughter, Jenny Tyler. [Mickeys jaw was almost on the floor]Mickey Smith: Blimey, I know this thing is a time machine, but how long has it been for the two of you?Rose Tyler: No, you plum. She was well, its a long story, but the short version is that shes only about six months old. She was born a full adult.Donna Noble: You know, the fact that that is not the strangest thing thats happened in the last year is really saying something. [She looked at Mickey] And who are you, then? My names DonnaDonna Noble.Mickey Smith: [grins] Mickey Smith. Rose and me grew up together on the Estate, and Ive been living for the last five years in a parallel universe. Looking to move back home, though.[Even though Rose had known Mickey would be coming back, she hadnt let herself hope it would be permanent. The life she could see in the future was almost too good to be true]Rose Tyler: Are you really?Mickey Smith: [nods] Yeah. Sos your family, if we can get through this day without the universe ending. [He glanced at Jenny] Promise me youll let me watch when you tell Jackie shes a gran.
Jack Harkness: Captain Jack Harkness, calling all Dalek boys and girls. [Jack was holding a bundle of wires up in front of the camera] Are you receiving me? Dont send in your goons, or Ill set this thing off.Jenny: Hes still alive? [notices Pete and Jackie] And whos that, behind Sarah Jane? [The Doctor glanced over at his daughter, then at his mother-in-law onscreen]The Doctor: Well. Thats thats your gran and granddad.[He winced when Jackie shrieked, silenced almost immediately by Petes hand over her mouth. Off to the side in his own holding cell, Mickey chortled.]The Doctor: Captain, what are you doing? [He chose to focus on the universe ending and not the fact that hed just given Jackie the biggest shock of her life. At least, he assumed meeting your alien grandchild trumped learning aliens existed]
- Two chapters later, when Jack, Sarah Jane, Jackie and Pete are bluffing Davros with the Warp Star.
Mickey Smith: [glaring at Pete] I cant believe you brought Jackie.Pete Tyler: [rolling his eyes] She came on her own.Jackie Tyler: [scowling at the Doctor] Good thing I did, or I wouldnt know I had a granddaughter.
- Subsequently, when Jack, Sarah Jane, Jackie, Pete and Martha are teleported into the Vault:
Donna Noble: Youre glowing. I mean, never mind the rest of ithow you survived the Z-neuron energy or whatever its called, and how you even got here Your skin is glowing, Rose.[Jackie left Pete standing with Mickey and walked over to them. Rose winked at her over Donnas shoulder]Rose Tyler: I get my youthful glow from my mum.Jackie Tyler: [snorts] Oh, dont even try it. Theres no beauty creme that can do that. [She took Roses hand and held her arm up] You can see the light shifting, look. So, come on thenwhats this mean, youre part you and part TARDIS? [The Doctor straightened up from the terminal and exchanged a grin with Rose]The Doctor: Well, for one thing, you know how you and Donna are always teasing me about Rose being a better driver than I am, Jenny?Jenny: Thats because she is, Dad.The Doctor: Oi!Rose Tyler: [giggles] And this is why. I promise well explain it better later when we have more time, but the short version is that I can merge with the TARDIS.Jackie Tyler: [faintly] My daughter is part spaceship!
- Bad Wolf is causing Rose's skin to glow as she finishes eradicating the Daleks:
Jackie Tyler: Well, thats one question answered. But Ive got another one. How long has it been for you two, if this is my granddaughter? [She pointed to Jenny and lifted her chin in challenge. The Doctor winced when Rose looked up at him, her eyes wide]Rose Tyler: You told her?!The Doctor: It just slipped out! [He pulled his rods again and sent Callufrax Minor and Jahoo back] And Jackie, its not like that. Jenny is ["Dont you dare tell my mum your daughter isnt mine!" Rose ordered. And just in time. The Doctor snapped his mouth shut when he realised exactly how that would have sounded to Jackie] um its complicated.[Thankfully, Davros started talking again, interrupting any other questions Jackie might have had]
- Jackie takes advantage of this lull to try to grill the Doctor about Jenny, and the Doctor seems relieved when Davros interrupts the moment:
Jackie Tyler: You know, some of us are waiting to go home while youre back here snogging each others faces off.Rose Tyler: Mum...[Rose groaned and hid her face in the Doctors chest for a moment. Jackie snorted, and the Doctor could imagine her rolling her eyes]Jackie Tyler: Well youll learn soon enough, Rose Tyler, that its not pleasant to see someone shoving their tongue down your daughters throat. [Rose made an incoherent noise of frustration, and the Doctor turned around to look at Jackie]The Doctor: I think youll find it was your daughters tongue down my throat.[Of course, Jackie wasnt the only one who heard his parting quip, he realised when he stepped back into the console room and caught the hidden smiles and Jacks approving grin. The tips of his ears warmed, and he jogged to the console to redirect their attention.]
- After towing the Earth back to its rightful place using the TARDIS, Rose and the Doctor can't help but share a celebratory smooch, much to Jack, Martha, Jenny, Donna and Mickey's approval and Jackie's discomfort.
Jackie Tyler: Oh, its about time the two of you explained how youve got an adult daughter.Rose Tyler: Well, Jenny wasnt exactly born in the traditional sense.Jackie Tyler: [eyeroll] Oh, alien weddings are one thing, but this is too much!Pete Tyler: Let them explain, Jacks.Jackie Tyler: [mouthing at the Doctor] Pervy alien...The Doctor: Oi! I am not a pervy alien!Rose Tyler: No, Mum. I mean, Jenny only has one parent. Technically, shes just the Doctors daughter, not mine.[It took the entire trip through the Voida good ten minutesto explain progenation to Jackie. But finally, just as the trip smoothed out, indicating they were in the Vortex in Petes World, it seemed to click. She shook her head and looked at Jenny]Jackie Tyler: Youre only six months old then?Jenny: I suppose?Jackie Tyler: [chuckling] Well, at least Tony is actually older than his niece, though I suppose youll have a fun time explaining how thats possible.
- Once Davros is handled, Jackie finally gets the explanation about Jenny:
- Jackie isn't entirely excited about the idea of having to live in Cardiff, and complains why she and Pete couldn't be resettled in Birmingham or Manchester. The Doctor wisely tunes her out.
- Donna upon being dropped back at home post-"Journey's End": Were in Ealing, yeah? If I take the Tube, Im only half an hour from home. And Mum and Gramps
- There's a subtle Brick Joke from "The Runaway Bride", in that Rose asks Donna if she's got enough money on her Oyster Card for the fare. Donna confirms she does, not wanting a repeat of when she and the Doctor were trying and failing to hail a cab at Christmas with no cash.
- Post-"Journey's End," Donna sitting down with her mother and discussing the Dalek invasion. Turns out that even Sylvia likens the Daleks' armored casings to giant mobile pepperpots.Sylvia Noble: ...giant pepper pots rolling down the street. Just shooting everyone with lasers. Although if you ask me, whoever designed those robots really should have used something other than egg beaters. Not very intimidating, really.Donna Noble: Well, they seemed to be pretty effective, so Im not sure they need to worry about any possible design issues.
Wilfred Mott: You were there, werent you? Stopping those things from destroying the Earth.Donna Noble: Yeah, I was.Wilfred Mott: I was going to call you. Stars kept going out, and I thought, I bet Donna could help. And then suddenly there were planets in the sky and those pepper pots on the ground.Donna Noble: [laughs] Theyre called Daleks. But they do kind of look like pepper pots, dont they?
- Donna actually agrees with her mother's description, as she privately confides to Wilf:
- The Doctor and Rose discover that a plush rug in front of a warm fireplace is a great place to have sex. Not so much for basking in the afterglow, as the rug proves to be itchy.
"Hope is Where Forever Begins"