- Strangely funny considering the subject matter, this exchange from Chapter 2:You should have left me there! he snarled. Why did you not leave me there?
Valjean looked at him with a hint of horror in his expression, drawing away as if singed. Butyou would have died!
Javerts chuckles turned into a growl as he grabbed him by the collar. That was the point!
- Some of the author's end-of-chapter notes are little jokes about events from the chapter (some of which could probably be made their own points on this page, such as the first chapter 65 one). An incomplete list of examples:
- From chapter 5Javert: *rolls up to the prefecture building* Hey yeah could I get uhhhhhhhhhh ... dismissed from duty
Gisquet: Dismissal machine broke
Javert: Understandable. Have a nice day
- From chapter 65Javert: *sees his lieutenant flirting with the daughter of the guy who tried to stab him to death*
Javert, internally: *repeating a mantra in his head as he chugs copious amounts of alcohol* If you see something, say nothing, and drink to forget
- Also from chapter 65Javert: I'M GONNA CHOKE THAT GUY TO DEATH FOR YOUR HONOR
Valjean: Jesus christ, honey, calm down and have a baguette
- From chapter 5
Funny / A Reflection of Starlight