Follow TV Tropes

Following

Fridge / Trauma Center

Go To

Fridge Brilliance

  • Fascinating tidbit I learned while messing around on my second playthrough. For fun, I was trying to figure out where Trauma Team was located. The city "Portland" is referenced multiple times as being the location of the majority of the game. Makes sense that a simple name would be used, considering there are fourteen in the USA. That said, my interest was piqued when I learned there are bits in the Raging Bomber case that mention southern New Hampshire and Higgins Beach. The search could then be narrowed down. Searching and finding that Higgins Beach is an actual location in Maine, it's safe to assume that the game is set in Portland, Maine. This is backed up by there being an airport in the city. note 
    • That's all well and good and preamble, but here's the brilliance. I figured there was no way there could be a Resurgam First Care in Portland, ME, right? That'd be silly. Well, turns out there isn't, but here's the big one. "Resurgam" is a Latin phrase meaning "I shall rise again". Makes some nice referral to the idea of saving lives and all, but it's also the city motto of Portland, Maine. My jaw dropped.
    • Advertisement:
    • And having looked up on the Caduceus Database, it seems this legwork was done already before my epiphany, so I may as well also mention that there's further evidence for the location: CIFM (where Naomi works) is the Cumberland Institute for Forensic Medicine. Cumberland County is in Maine. Also, Naomi takes a trip up to Oxford, which is in the mountains, a place that exists in Maine.
    • Only one problem with this theory: page five of the instruction book for the game explicitly states that Resurgam is located in Maryland. Also, there is a Cumberland, Maryland.
  • Why is it that you get points bonuses if you complete additional parameters while operating in Trauma Team? Because not being thorough is an issue when performing routine procedures. You always hear of those medical horror stories of patients with medical equipment left behind, right?
  • Advertisement:
  • During the GUILT outbreak in Elysium, Emilio, a former Sinner and one of the infected, claims that his history of being a Sinner gave him antibodies that could at least help buy him some time. He succumbs to the disease anyway. Why? Dramatic reasons aside, antibodies are very specific - what works for one strain of a virus will not necessarily work on the other. Given that Emilio was a Sinner for Pempti (based on location of his PGS and process of elimination) his antibodies would not help against Kyriaki.
  • You know how your assistant is always telling you what the next step in the operation is? They are consulting them on actions they have to take in order to finish the operation. It's better presented in New Blood and Trauma Team, both has full voice acting, as both the active surgeon and the assistant(s) are also letting them know of the procedure and the surgeon will let them know of any improvisations they need to take and follow up with them, a.k.a. they are the second opinion.
    • More so with Maria, the paramedic, who typically has to go through her procedures by herself. Because of this she yells out the actions she has to take to constantly remind herself of the procedure.
  • Ever wonder why in Trauma Team things seem to go wrong during operations such as static in the guideline and the power going out? They aren't exactly a high tech hospital like Caduceus who has the full support of the government; this is a modest hospital and they can't always afford to update their equipment. In fact Tomoe's new endoscope was made on Tomoe's money.
  • For some of the tutorials of Trauma, it makes sense why they may have a tutorial or someone letting them know how to go about their operation style, even if it's themselves going through it.:
      Advertisement:
    • CR-S01 hasn't performed surgery in a long time; though he remembers certain techniques, the basics are another story.
    • Maria is always in a high pressure situation so she needs to constantly know what she needs to do. Bonus points for helping drown out distractions from others while she focuses.
    • Tomoe's endoscope is new and has never been used in an operation before so she needs to know that it's working properly.
    • Gabe just got RONI and it's like opening a new video game; you don't have personal settings settings up and it's assuming Gabe is a new user.
    • Hank tends to be a bit of a ditz. In addition, his operations have a lot of steps to it so his assistant will always run through a checklist of what he needs to do. He also has the most time to operate compared to the others so it doesn't hurt to remind himself how to work certain tools so he doesn't haphazardly rush through the operation.
    • Naomi basically changed occupations between games so it wouldn't hurt to know what she's doing.
  • In certain surgeries such as those dealing with the type of 'Unusual Tumors' supported by 3 blood vessels, the only realistic way for you to get all the special bonuses needed for an S ranking in the first try will be for you to having either watched a playthough or read a guide ahead of time, since the game itself doesn't actually tell you what needs to be done to prevent the tumors from regenerate until the second failed attempt at extracting them... Until you realise that on a meta-level, in order for you to truly be considered a 'Master Surgeon' it is after all part of your responsibility as a doctor to be reading up on all the latest medical journals ahead of time before performing a surgery!
  • In Trauma Team, during your first diagnosis mission, RONI mentioned that based on the available, she calculated that there is a 90% chance that Gabe is in fact a human, with him responding by saying that he doesn't want to know how she came to the conclusion of that 10%.... The answer's simple: Gabe is in fact a video game character! And that 10% came from when he broke the fourth wall by addressing the player directly at the end of the game as the honorary 7th member of the team!
  • In the final mission of Trauma Team, how did Gabe knew of a certain 'skilled surgeon' (Heavily implied to be Derek Stiles) who advised him on how to treat the Twisted Rosalia inside Naomi's heart? Remember that in one of Gabe's early cut scenes, the Chief invited him to go with her to a medical conference in Japan. In the Japanese version of Under the Knife and Second Opinion, the story took place in Japan; While in the English version, Derek has been traveling around the world on-behalf of Caduceus. That conference was most likely where Gabe met Derek off-screen.

Fridge Logic

  • In Trauma Center 2, they say that the two Sinners and Adam's son react violently to the anti-GUILT serum because they have GUILT that hasn't been encountered before so the serum doesn't properly take that into account like the spore tumor one. However when you do surgery on them they have the 3 GUILT strands from the previous game and ones known to be cured by the serum.
  • Instead of expecting the surgeon to constantly inject vital fluid during operations where their attention is needed practically everywhere at once, why don't they just hook up the patient to an IV filled with the stuff?
  • During the Rosalia Virus outbreak in Trauma Team, what exactly was Caduceus doing about the epidemic threatening to wipe out the entire population of the US in a matter of weeks, and why were there no mentioned of them?

Fridge Horror

  • In Under the Knife and Second Opinion, Tyler Chase makes the decision to euthanize Amy without even asking for her consent and doesn't seem to see anything wrong with that until she tells him to his face that she wants to live. Given that we know that he's been working as an euthanasist for quite some time before that, this kind of raises the question whether he has euthanized patients without their consent before - and regardless of one's stance on voluntary euthanasia, it's hard to call involuntary euthanasia anything other than straight-up murder.
  • In New Blood, after successfully curing a patient of Stigma while on live national TV on Miracle Surgery after Dr. Bello failed to do so, Valerie made good on her promise of forcing the network to cancel the program for good. While this was certainly satisfying considering how Bello and the show's hosts were both jerkasses that slandered Caduceus' reputation.... Putting its ethically questionable and sensationalist nature aside, in the end of the day, the show DID offer a way for economically disadvantaged people without health insurance a way to receive life-saving surgery at the hands of a world-class doctor that they have no hope of getting otherwise. With Miracle Surgery being taken off the air, the network will no longer have a reason to keep Dr. Bello on their payroll, and all those patients will be left on their own with very little hope of getting much needed treatment.

Top

How well does it match the trope?

Example of:

/

Media sources:

/

Report