- After the first games night, Annie notes in disgust that almost everything Brooks did was designed to undermine Max and throw him off his game in order for Brooks to beat him. This foreshadows Brooks's eventual admission that the only reason he ever managed to beat Max at board games in their childhood was by cheating.
- Brooks also puts up a surprisingly good fight against the kidnappers for a stock broker and venture capitalist — further foreshadowing for the reveal that he's neither of those things, but a criminal.
- The film's visual style evokes games:
- The tilt-shift cityscape shots make everything look miniature, like pieces on a game board.
- Several shots of the main characters in a car have the camera locked directly behind and parallel to the car like a video game.